Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC 100th anniversary 07:54 - Jul 29 with 4975 views222gers

Christ that went quick !
The government, especially the forgotten but not gone Boris, have had it in for the Beeb for years now, and I wouldn't join that hostility. However, I hate the way the corporation has dumbed down in order to compete with commercial channels. Not being a snob really but I'd like the BBC to focus on more serious and artistic content.
Anyone else ?
BBC 100th anniversary on 07:58 - Jul 29 with 3317 viewsLblock

Does nothing for those of us who are PMS

I'd happily see it go now and the end of the License fee.

Never thought I'd be saying that when I was younger.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

BBC 100th anniversary on 08:03 - Jul 29 with 3317 viewsTonto

Dislike the way the Tories attack it for being too lefties. When it isn't. Its pretty independent and should remain so. Just in comparison to the rest of the right wing stuff controlled by Murdoch.

And their natural history programmes are world leading. By a country mile.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

BBC 100th anniversary on 08:10 - Jul 29 with 3304 viewsJuzzie

BBC 100th anniversary on 08:03 - Jul 29 by Tonto

Dislike the way the Tories attack it for being too lefties. When it isn't. Its pretty independent and should remain so. Just in comparison to the rest of the right wing stuff controlled by Murdoch.

And their natural history programmes are world leading. By a country mile.

I remember saying this on another thread a while back…… a friend of mind said to me that if leftys think it’s too right and rightys think its too left then maybe, just maybe, it’s neither.

People just focus on what they want to see and what fits with their narrative, which is usually focussing on what they don’t like and ignoring (subconsciously probably) what they do like.

I think it’s definitely gone downhill these last couple of decades but up until the millennium it was top notch.

Do they get a card from the Queen?
BBC 100th anniversary on 08:16 - Jul 29 with 3254 viewsstevec

My main problem with the BBC was the constant preaching, however subtly they tried to place it. Trouble is it’s practically impossible to find any channel that doesn’t do the same now.

Tend to lean towards Prime or Netflix dramas these days, they seem slightly more interested in a good story rather than telling me how to think.
BBC 100th anniversary on 08:23 - Jul 29 with 3238 viewsdmm

In my view the BBC is firmly in the traditional right wing camp and always has been. In recent years it has more so been the case with Boris' mate, Laura Kuenssberg, the political editor, though she has gone now. The Tories attack it as being too lefty in order to keep it that way.
BBC 100th anniversary on 08:49 - Jul 29 with 3183 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Their main/international news coverage is what I get to see over the years and I find it’s just poor.

From a simple continuity perspective it’s laughable. Everyday you can put your money on: presenters looking into the wrong camera; wrong captions; dead air; and their ticker that runs on the bottom of the screen is often unintelligible.

Maybe minor annoyances, but the breadth of stories are low, and it’s noticeable how some stories drag on. Then the drop everything for anything out of America and end up just babbling as they desperately wait to see if the story develops. Sports coverage is nothing more than someone telling you what’s happened. And it’s obsessed with Africa and you get nothing about Asia, Latin America in comparison.

Such a shame it’s deteriorated. Not as biased as CNN, FOX or RT, and certainly not as ditsy as NHK but it’s not a patch on Al Jazeera or even France 24, where I just learn more about what’s going on in the world.

When in the UK, I find too many repeats and too many game shows where the viewer pays through phone calls.

Hate to see it go or lapse further. Clearly funding short- and long-term are issues and allowing someone pig thick ignorant as Dorries anywhere near deciding the future of this institution is as worrying as it is a joke.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2022 10:17]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

BBC 100th anniversary on 09:18 - Jul 29 with 3151 viewsted_hendrix

I/we have probably turned on our television probably 3 maybe 4 times since last Xmas, If I recall corectly the last time I went channel hopping there was a programme called Casualty on, I gave it a couple of minutes watching wooden actors embarrasing themselves and me before I switched the bloody thing off.
Similarly the radio stations are not much better so I use an app called My Tuner Radio or Times Radio.
I'd be delighted If the beeb went 'pop' I'd save myself the licence fee for a service that I don't use anyway.
The bloody beeb banned 'God Save The Queen' and In my own sad way I've never forgiven them for that, don't tell me what you think I should be listening to.
There's a huge amount of news outlets out there and entertainment outlets too, go and find the one that suits you, Its that easy.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

BBC 100th anniversary on 09:25 - Jul 29 with 3133 viewsDWQPR

One of the first things I do whilst drinking my morning coffee is to look at the BBC website and you can guarantee every day there is a story where the headline is unintelligible. It seems many of the journos on there have lost the ability to produce written English properly.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Login to get fewer ads

BBC 100th anniversary on 09:39 - Jul 29 with 3110 viewsfrancisbowles

BBC 100th anniversary on 07:58 - Jul 29 by Lblock

Does nothing for those of us who are PMS

I'd happily see it go now and the end of the License fee.

Never thought I'd be saying that when I was younger.

Sorry Lblock, PMS?
BBC 100th anniversary on 09:49 - Jul 29 with 3079 viewsSonofpugwash

Well that's a hundred years of my life I'll never get back again.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

BBC 100th anniversary on 09:52 - Jul 29 with 3079 viewsQPR_Hibs

BBC 100th anniversary on 09:25 - Jul 29 by DWQPR

One of the first things I do whilst drinking my morning coffee is to look at the BBC website and you can guarantee every day there is a story where the headline is unintelligible. It seems many of the journos on there have lost the ability to produce written English properly.

Absolutely this.

The BBC Sport website is my homepage but I have noticed it getting more and more like the Mailonline. Unintelligble headlines and simple errors in their stories.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

BBC 100th anniversary on 10:26 - Jul 29 with 3014 viewsmonners1969

BBC 100th anniversary on 08:10 - Jul 29 by Juzzie

I remember saying this on another thread a while back…… a friend of mind said to me that if leftys think it’s too right and rightys think its too left then maybe, just maybe, it’s neither.

People just focus on what they want to see and what fits with their narrative, which is usually focussing on what they don’t like and ignoring (subconsciously probably) what they do like.

I think it’s definitely gone downhill these last couple of decades but up until the millennium it was top notch.

Do they get a card from the Queen?

That’s exactly how I see the it - both ends of the political spectrum moan about it which probably means its about ok - personally think the radio stations and the website does enough to make it worth the license fee - my main gripe is paddy fing mcguinness on QOS but like many on here I can be a miserable tw#t
BBC 100th anniversary on 10:26 - Jul 29 with 3012 viewsterryb

There are many programmes from the BBC that have been superb, but probably just as many that were poor.

Looking back at my childhood/youth the Sunday teatime serial was a must watch (especially Tom Brown's schooldays), as was the Sunday evening serials. Saturday night wasn't too bad either with The Two Ronnies followed by Starsky & Hutch!

I was also hooked to the coverage of the general elections in 1964, which were the forerunners to the present day.

However, what I most recall were the wonderfiul Wednesday Night plays. Cathy Come Home is still the most harrowing, but superb television I have seen.
BBC 100th anniversary on 10:29 - Jul 29 with 3010 viewsJuzzie

BBC 100th anniversary on 09:25 - Jul 29 by DWQPR

When companies like the BBC start having headlines such as "Cristiano Ronaldo, you'll never believe what car he's driving now" you know it's gone to schit.
BBC 100th anniversary on 10:32 - Jul 29 with 2996 viewsSonofpugwash

BBC 100th anniversary on 10:29 - Jul 29 by Juzzie

When companies like the BBC start having headlines such as "Cristiano Ronaldo, you'll never believe what car he's driving now" you know it's gone to schit.

Hoopy Birthday Juzzie.

I searched the BBC for the announcement but nothing so far.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

BBC 100th anniversary on 10:36 - Jul 29 with 2997 viewsAntti_Heinola

BBC 100th anniversary on 09:18 - Jul 29 by ted_hendrix

I/we have probably turned on our television probably 3 maybe 4 times since last Xmas, If I recall corectly the last time I went channel hopping there was a programme called Casualty on, I gave it a couple of minutes watching wooden actors embarrasing themselves and me before I switched the bloody thing off.
Similarly the radio stations are not much better so I use an app called My Tuner Radio or Times Radio.
I'd be delighted If the beeb went 'pop' I'd save myself the licence fee for a service that I don't use anyway.
The bloody beeb banned 'God Save The Queen' and In my own sad way I've never forgiven them for that, don't tell me what you think I should be listening to.
There's a huge amount of news outlets out there and entertainment outlets too, go and find the one that suits you, Its that easy.

Assume you mean the Sex Pistols version?
the problem with the beeb is that it's terrified of the Mail and the Times. Most of their news output is governed by what the Times is saying.
However, as a single broadcasting entity, it's the best the world has ever produced or well ever produce and justifiably the envy of the world. Bizarre to me that we have a government who can't stop droning on about his or that being 'world beating' or 'world leading' when they are patently not, has such such hatred for something we should be proud of. It has plenty of faults, but overall it's part of the fabrix of this country. If you can't get £12 worth of entertainment out of everything the beeb produces each month you're probably letting your own prejudices get in the way of having a bit of fun, IMO.

Bare bones.

BBC 100th anniversary on 10:46 - Jul 29 with 2938 viewsfrancisbowles

BBC 100th anniversary on 10:26 - Jul 29 by terryb

There are many programmes from the BBC that have been superb, but probably just as many that were poor.

Looking back at my childhood/youth the Sunday teatime serial was a must watch (especially Tom Brown's schooldays), as was the Sunday evening serials. Saturday night wasn't too bad either with The Two Ronnies followed by Starsky & Hutch!

I was also hooked to the coverage of the general elections in 1964, which were the forerunners to the present day.

However, what I most recall were the wonderfiul Wednesday Night plays. Cathy Come Home is still the most harrowing, but superb television I have seen.

Great stuff Terryb and the sport coverage MOTD, Sports night, Olympic games Commonwealth games, Cricket etc.

It's changed, lost stuff that it's been outbid for and has dumbed down to try and compete with the numerous other stations. However, MOTD is still my only interest in top level football, BBC4 has brought great foreign dramas like Borgen and Moltalbano and I start my day with BBC news channel.

If nothing else, it is worth it to be able to watch TV without the constant ad breaks and associated increase in volume every 15 to 20 minutes.
BBC 100th anniversary on 11:10 - Jul 29 with 2891 viewskensalriser

Robert Elms, Glastonbury, The Proms, 6Music, Radio 4, London Jazz Week, Pete Tong's Essential Mix, David Attenborough...and on and on and on.

No it's not perfect, neither are QPR. If you can't find something brilliant in the BBC's output you can stick your shit right back where it came from.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

BBC 100th anniversary on 11:51 - Jul 29 with 2819 viewsJuzzie

BBC 100th anniversary on 10:32 - Jul 29 by Sonofpugwash

Hoopy Birthday Juzzie.

I searched the BBC for the announcement but nothing so far.

Thanks! I must contact them to ensure they do it ;)
BBC 100th anniversary on 12:35 - Jul 29 with 2698 viewsSheffieldHoop

Was a big fan of the BBC but it's lost its mojo and is nowhere near as necessary or relevant as it once was. Definitely needs a more realistic funding model going forwards. I know loads of people who refuse to pay their license, and most of them are not right-wing conservative types. They just don't want to pay it.

I question BBC's impartiality, I believe they skew left on most BBC output I see, but can accept other people are interested in other things that they perhaps cover differently, and that it is a matter of opinion. I noticed that Inaya Folarin Iman was being called Kemi on Politics live the other day - Something that you could never imagine happening to say, Shola Mos-Shogbamimu, because they actually give a shit about her and her politics.

Fact is, most of the best content is now on commercial channels, On-demand and the ability to forward through adverts now means the BBC's no ads appeal has vanished, Removal of free licenses for over 75s was really bad form, And I'm not sure the likes of Charlie Stayt & Naga Munchetty do them much good either. Painful viewing.

I despise sky sports but I'll give them my money because the chances are, the thing I want to watch is gonna be on there. Very rarely is the thing I want to watch on the BBC anymore.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

BBC 100th anniversary on 12:36 - Jul 29 with 2706 viewscolinallcars

I think the Beeb should stick to quality programmes and leave all the crash, bang, whallop silly stuff to the commercial channels ( why are tv companies called channels while radio companies called stations ?).

A lot of BBC's current shows would have been on children's tv years ago.
BBC 100th anniversary on 12:48 - Jul 29 with 2680 viewsTHEBUSH

Murdoch and Co, want to do away with the BBC.

For that reason alone, the BBC has to stay.

Murdoch hates us the British, why would anyone, give him the time of day?
BBC 100th anniversary on 13:09 - Jul 29 with 2640 viewsOakR

I'm still a fan, but obviously it has much more competition now, and is much more attacked politically.

I do believe they are reasonably politically neutral, but I've become less supportive of their news programs.

For me, the BBC with they way it's funded, should do things differently from Sky News etc. Now whenever there is something in the US Hurricane / Shooting etc there is almost 24 hour rolling coverage of it. Sky can do that. BBC there should be something on it, but then similar bits on other issues around the world also, where there may not be 300 TV helicopters and reprots around.

I hope it stays, gets less attacks and focuses on some areas commercial stations just can't commercially. Of course doing some of that means lower viewing figures, which means it will get attacked more. A tricky one!

Poll: Will we stay up?

BBC 100th anniversary on 13:12 - Jul 29 with 2633 viewsNorthernr

I could do another 30,000 word post on my frustrations with the BBC.

Firstly, when it talks about short of funding etc, it is grossly, grossly overstaffed. You do not need to be spending this much money and this many people. Obviously Linekar et al grab the headlines but the real problem/scandal is lower down. This, for instance, is their publicity/PR staff. Not their commissioners, talent, producers, sales execs etc. Their PRs...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/contacts/a-z/

I did an interview with the head of factual at the BBC when she got the job, 30 minute standard slot, first question 'take me through your team...' because my audience needs to know who to pitch to. It took her 23 minutes to name them all. We had to schedule an extra half hour on another date for the actual interview. Channel 5, not a fair comparison really because it's miniscule by comparison but still a linear channel that needs programmes commissioned and publicised etc, runs on a commissioning team of eight. That's their commissioning team. The BBC has 19 PRs whose names begin with J. You cannot justify that when you're spending the public's money.

I think they're allowing themselves to get dragged into this bullsht nonsense about whether they're impartial or not by giving voices to points of view that don't deserve a voice, and are such a tiny minority it's completely ridiculous. They're even on record now saying "if enough people believed in a flat earth we'd have to look at that" which is just insane. Comes back to what I said last year about this modern ideal that there isn't right and wrong any more, it's facts and alternative facts. The BBC has failed multiple times over the last ten years in telling its audience what is the truth and what is a lie, for fear of being beaten up over impartiality. Laura Kuennesberg was a catastrophic political correspondent because she simply saw her job as to parrot whatever line she was given, not interrogate whether that line was actually true. The BBC was set up to entertain, educate and inform. Trying to balance out Question Time by constantly sticking gobshts on there who lie, and then leaving the audience to make their own mind up, is not educating and informing people. I think Tim Davie, who when we talk about the 'woke lefty BBC' is as Tory as they come, is a dreadful choice to be director general and is making a pig's ear of it.

I think they occasionally torch good things, like Five Live, chasing a 'yoof' audience, that's never going to fcking listen to Five Live.

However... it's a brilliant thing. I'm a huge proponent of PSB anyway, I think it's brilliant for society and democracy, countries that don't have it as strong as we do envy it, you got to the US and the television is absolutely fcking shocking, properly shockingly bad. Things like BBC local radio, minority sports coverage, CBeebies, CBBC, all that educational stuff they turned round in 10 minutes when the schools closed during the pandemic... that may not be important to you personally, but it's important to somebody somewhere and that's the role of PSB. I didn't notice ITV, Sky or Netflix chucking out a load of free, quality, educational content for your kids during the school closures did you?

I travel around the world with the television industry and the BBC is revered. You talk about patriotism and being proud of Britain and showing off to the world - the BBC is front and centre of that. It's seen as industry gold standard. They have a showcase once a year in February where buyers from round the world comes to buy their shows and it's an enormous event in the calendar. The natural history stuff is obviously the gold standard, but again there's other stuff that while you may not like it sells around the world instantly - every country has their own version of Strictly, for instance. It's part of a TV industry that brings in £1.5bn a year into our economy through programme exports every year. There's nowhere in the world bar the US anywhere close. Our television is the best in the world, we should celebrate and boast about it, not seek to destroy and handicap it. It's a very successful, very profitable, soft power success story.

You go to Natpe in Budapest or Miami, Mip in France, IDFA, RealScreen, all these industry events, and honest to God nobody there is saying "wouldn't it be great if the BBC was more like Netflix". Nobody. It's only politicians here who idealogicly oppose it. Most other countries look at it and think 'how can our PSB be more like that?'

It's something we should treasure and be proud of. Like our rivers and lakes and coastline, but then we dump our sht on those now as well.

This post has been edited by an administrator
BBC 100th anniversary on 13:25 - Jul 29 with 2574 viewsNushnool

BBC 100th anniversary on 13:12 - Jul 29 by Northernr

I could do another 30,000 word post on my frustrations with the BBC.

Firstly, when it talks about short of funding etc, it is grossly, grossly overstaffed. You do not need to be spending this much money and this many people. Obviously Linekar et al grab the headlines but the real problem/scandal is lower down. This, for instance, is their publicity/PR staff. Not their commissioners, talent, producers, sales execs etc. Their PRs...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/contacts/a-z/

I did an interview with the head of factual at the BBC when she got the job, 30 minute standard slot, first question 'take me through your team...' because my audience needs to know who to pitch to. It took her 23 minutes to name them all. We had to schedule an extra half hour on another date for the actual interview. Channel 5, not a fair comparison really because it's miniscule by comparison but still a linear channel that needs programmes commissioned and publicised etc, runs on a commissioning team of eight. That's their commissioning team. The BBC has 19 PRs whose names begin with J. You cannot justify that when you're spending the public's money.

I think they're allowing themselves to get dragged into this bullsht nonsense about whether they're impartial or not by giving voices to points of view that don't deserve a voice, and are such a tiny minority it's completely ridiculous. They're even on record now saying "if enough people believed in a flat earth we'd have to look at that" which is just insane. Comes back to what I said last year about this modern ideal that there isn't right and wrong any more, it's facts and alternative facts. The BBC has failed multiple times over the last ten years in telling its audience what is the truth and what is a lie, for fear of being beaten up over impartiality. Laura Kuennesberg was a catastrophic political correspondent because she simply saw her job as to parrot whatever line she was given, not interrogate whether that line was actually true. The BBC was set up to entertain, educate and inform. Trying to balance out Question Time by constantly sticking gobshts on there who lie, and then leaving the audience to make their own mind up, is not educating and informing people. I think Tim Davie, who when we talk about the 'woke lefty BBC' is as Tory as they come, is a dreadful choice to be director general and is making a pig's ear of it.

I think they occasionally torch good things, like Five Live, chasing a 'yoof' audience, that's never going to fcking listen to Five Live.

However... it's a brilliant thing. I'm a huge proponent of PSB anyway, I think it's brilliant for society and democracy, countries that don't have it as strong as we do envy it, you got to the US and the television is absolutely fcking shocking, properly shockingly bad. Things like BBC local radio, minority sports coverage, CBeebies, CBBC, all that educational stuff they turned round in 10 minutes when the schools closed during the pandemic... that may not be important to you personally, but it's important to somebody somewhere and that's the role of PSB. I didn't notice ITV, Sky or Netflix chucking out a load of free, quality, educational content for your kids during the school closures did you?

I travel around the world with the television industry and the BBC is revered. You talk about patriotism and being proud of Britain and showing off to the world - the BBC is front and centre of that. It's seen as industry gold standard. They have a showcase once a year in February where buyers from round the world comes to buy their shows and it's an enormous event in the calendar. The natural history stuff is obviously the gold standard, but again there's other stuff that while you may not like it sells around the world instantly - every country has their own version of Strictly, for instance. It's part of a TV industry that brings in £1.5bn a year into our economy through programme exports every year. There's nowhere in the world bar the US anywhere close. Our television is the best in the world, we should celebrate and boast about it, not seek to destroy and handicap it. It's a very successful, very profitable, soft power success story.

You go to Natpe in Budapest or Miami, Mip in France, IDFA, RealScreen, all these industry events, and honest to God nobody there is saying "wouldn't it be great if the BBC was more like Netflix". Nobody. It's only politicians here who idealogicly oppose it. Most other countries look at it and think 'how can our PSB be more like that?'

It's something we should treasure and be proud of. Like our rivers and lakes and coastline, but then we dump our sht on those now as well.

This post has been edited by an administrator

In terms of the BBC news (which I consume online, not sure about radio or TV), I haven't noticed the coverage being excessively politically left or right, so I agree with those who think it's probably somewhere between the two, i.e. annoying the extremes of both sides. The biggest problems I have with it are:
1) Dumbing down of the news
2) Americanisation of the news

But neither of those things are unique to the BBC though, it seems to be ubiquitous across UK news outlets.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024