Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next book help 16:15 - Aug 19 with 7061 viewsWokingR

Looking for recommendations please having just finished the Wheel of Time series. Hopefully, something of equally epic proportions.
I've done the Foundation Series, The Malazan Empire & Game of Thrones.
With a week away coming up, any suggestions/recommendations would be gratefully received.
Next book help on 16:19 - Aug 19 with 4740 viewsNorthernr

All three of Michael Calvin's books on football are superb.
Next book help on 16:22 - Aug 19 with 4722 viewsBklynRanger

There's the Red Rising trilogy (think it might be a 5-logy now in fact) by Pierce Brown. Worth looking into.
Next book help on 16:41 - Aug 19 with 4670 viewsLblock

Are you after a book for some bedtime reading to help you drop off to sleep?

If so then I can recommend The Dictionary.

By the end of it I was "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Next book help on 16:49 - Aug 19 with 4655 viewsBklynRanger

And for a big fat Bombay based tome of epic proportions I always recommend Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Now there's a book.
Next book help on 17:38 - Aug 19 with 4593 viewsMatch82

Not sure there's anything as epic as the wheel of time! I'm halfway through that at the moment, enjoying it though.

The Mistborn series was good, and is in a similar vein albeit less epic than wheel of time, but was Brandon Sanderson also so style of writing should be enjoyable if you liked the last few wheel of time books

Also highly recommend the kingkiller chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss although be warned that's a trilogy where everyone is still (not very) patiently waiting for the last book to come out.
Next book help on 17:43 - Aug 19 with 4588 viewsR_from_afar

Walking the Amazon by Ed Stafford was terrific, the mental and physical toughness- and ingenuity - he and his walking companion displayed were breathtaking.

If you want a laugh, any of the Tim Moore books on cycling are good, especially Gironimo, when he rides the entire route of a past Giro d'Italia on a period bicycle.

If you want a factual, historical epic, Persian Fire, by Tom Holland, is good. It covers the Persian empire, as the title suggests.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Next book help on 17:55 - Aug 19 with 4570 viewsdutch

Anything by Richard Ford, but particularly The Sportswriter. (which isn't about sport). Muscular, insightful, elegant writing, kind of Hemingway without the beard and the bravado. Closer to home London Made Us is pretty good if you fancy some QPR references.
Next book help on 18:14 - Aug 19 with 4529 viewsWokingR

Thanks everyone.
I start to get a little twitchy when I finish something but then don’t have anything lined up.
Login to get fewer ads

Next book help on 18:20 - Aug 19 with 4525 viewsSilverfoxqpr

I'm late to the party in respect of Phillip Roth but since I read my first one one (Indignation) a couple of months ago I've since gone on to read 'American Pastoral and 'The Human Stain'. Thoroughly recommended.
Next book help on 18:37 - Aug 19 with 4498 viewsDWQPR

Currently reading the second volume of The History of England by Peter Ackroyd. Much recommended.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Next book help on 18:56 - Aug 19 with 4463 viewsenfieldargh

If you like historical mystery type thrileers then I can hearltiy recommend CJ Sansom Shardlake series.

Start of set in Henry V111 reign his writing really makes you feel your back in Tudor London. Great references to the old city, the smell and the shyte falls off the pages, he makes you feel like youve gone thru a time warp.

The books are 700+ pages with no a ctual pictures but CJ paints this all for you in black and white.

There are 7 in the series doubt there will be more as CJ is sadly terminally ill.

https://www.waterstones.com/author/c-j-sansom/93586

JUst finished book 1 of CJ Paris mysteries set during the reign of QE1, fantastic stuff!!!!

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Next book help on 19:19 - Aug 19 with 4428 viewsbollockchops

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autobiography-Penguin-Modern-Classics-Morrissey/dp/0141

explains why he was so misarable bcos everyone around him died puts him in a new light ,,,,,,,if you like the music ?
Next book help on 20:36 - Aug 19 with 4381 viewsDorse

If you like epic fantasy, I'm enjoying the Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I'm not normally one for fantasy over SF but ghis is bloody good. I'm currently 6 books in and it's building up nicely

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Next book help on 21:23 - Aug 19 with 4323 viewsstowmarketrange

Next book help on 18:14 - Aug 19 by WokingR

Thanks everyone.
I start to get a little twitchy when I finish something but then don’t have anything lined up.

I have about 20-25 books lined up to read once I pack up work,but there is always something that gets in the way of me reading them.It’s normally sleep.
Next book help on 21:46 - Aug 19 with 4283 viewsLythamR

The Thomas Covenant Series might be worth taking a look at for something engaging and thought provoking. by Stephen Donaldson
Next book help on 22:00 - Aug 19 with 4255 viewsMrSheen

Next book help on 18:20 - Aug 19 by Silverfoxqpr

I'm late to the party in respect of Phillip Roth but since I read my first one one (Indignation) a couple of months ago I've since gone on to read 'American Pastoral and 'The Human Stain'. Thoroughly recommended.

Philip Roth…terrible man (apparently), fantastic writer. Can’t write a bad sentence. Those two are amazing.

I mostly read non-fiction but I’ve recently discovered a writer called Paul Kingsnorth. His first novel The Wake, is set in the aftermath of the Norman Conquest and written in an invented Anglo Saxon, totally extraordinary. He followed it with a mysterious book set in the present day, Beast, and another 900 years in a post apocalyptic future. Not at all a pint of my usual but a great artist, and a very interesting thinker on technology, the environment and humanity. I would never have imagined enjoying this so much but he is a great writer.
Next book help on 23:02 - Aug 19 with 4204 viewsdanehoop

If you are looking for something slightly different but that really grows as the series progresses than thoroughly recommend The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Its part urban fantasy and part Raymond Chandler set in Chicago and pretty much the original in the genre (the character frequently gets referenced in other authors work like Ben Aaronvitch's Rivers of London books and Benedict Jacka Alex Versus books. First book (of 17 so far) is Stormfront and expected to be a 20 book series. Pretty much every book is a page turner and you can get hooked quickly.

Another suggestion of something slightly different is Glenn Bullion's Damned and Cursed series. There are about 11 books in that series so far, starts wit Demon Spawn.

Last fantasy based recommendation is Rick Gualtieri's Bill the Vampire series, which is very funny and very well written twist on the vampire genre.

If you want something different and more serious then thoroughly recommend Eastern Approaches by Fitzroy Maclean, who is the real life figure that Ian Fleming based his James Bond on. Amazing autobiography of an incredible man.

In a similar vein the books by Peter Hopkirk which cover the histories and of war and espionage in Victorian and post Victorian times are fascinating well written books that really provide an amazing insight into the hidden conflicts and not so hidden conflicts and espionage. Start with The Great Game and Setting the East Ablaze.

Never knowingly understood

Next book help on 23:57 - Aug 19 with 4162 viewsBrianMcCarthy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Smugglers-Timbuktu-Charlie-English/dp/0008126658/r

Loved this book more than any in years.
Warm, educational, exotic, beutifully written and uplifting in a curious way.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Next book help on 00:12 - Aug 20 with 4145 viewsdistortR

Next book help on 23:57 - Aug 19 by BrianMcCarthy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Smugglers-Timbuktu-Charlie-English/dp/0008126658/r

Loved this book more than any in years.
Warm, educational, exotic, beutifully written and uplifting in a curious way.

noted.
Next book help on 01:29 - Aug 20 with 4078 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Next book help on 17:38 - Aug 19 by Match82

Not sure there's anything as epic as the wheel of time! I'm halfway through that at the moment, enjoying it though.

The Mistborn series was good, and is in a similar vein albeit less epic than wheel of time, but was Brandon Sanderson also so style of writing should be enjoyable if you liked the last few wheel of time books

Also highly recommend the kingkiller chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss although be warned that's a trilogy where everyone is still (not very) patiently waiting for the last book to come out.

The fiancee, who is the queen of fantasy (to the tune of reading 150-200 books a year. Bless her.) also recommended Sanderson's Mistborn series. Also agrees that Wheel of Time is tough to top.

If you have any interest in urban fantasy, she recommends Kate Daniels' series. Book 1 is Magic Bites.
Next book help on 07:57 - Aug 20 with 3993 viewsjohnhoop

If you haven’t already read them, the books on which “The Expanse”, the epic Sci-fi TV series is based, by James S A Corey ( actually the pen name of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) are excellent and with a total of 4500 odd pages in the nine books are likely to keep you going for quite a while!
The first six are what the TV series is based on but the last three go beyond it.
Otherwise another recommendation for CJ Sansom’s superb Shardlake series if historical detective fiction appeals at all.
Next book help on 08:17 - Aug 20 with 3959 viewsJamesB1979

Next book help on 18:56 - Aug 19 by enfieldargh

If you like historical mystery type thrileers then I can hearltiy recommend CJ Sansom Shardlake series.

Start of set in Henry V111 reign his writing really makes you feel your back in Tudor London. Great references to the old city, the smell and the shyte falls off the pages, he makes you feel like youve gone thru a time warp.

The books are 700+ pages with no a ctual pictures but CJ paints this all for you in black and white.

There are 7 in the series doubt there will be more as CJ is sadly terminally ill.

https://www.waterstones.com/author/c-j-sansom/93586

JUst finished book 1 of CJ Paris mysteries set during the reign of QE1, fantastic stuff!!!!

That Shardlake series is brilliant. Although maybe only if you like historical fiction.

Robert Harris books are good.
Next book help on 12:18 - Aug 20 with 3827 viewspeejaybee

I Second that.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Next book help on 13:17 - Aug 20 with 3782 viewsQPRSteve

If you haven't read them yet, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is excellent. Don't be put off by it being classed as children's fiction.

The Last Legends of Earth by AA Attanasio, a sci fi fantasy set in the far future featuring one of the most evil race of creatures I've encountered in a book - the Zötl.

I know its by L. Ron Hubbard but Battlefield Earth is a rollicking read believe it or not.
Next book help on 17:21 - Aug 20 with 3693 viewsDWQPR

Next book help on 08:17 - Aug 20 by JamesB1979

That Shardlake series is brilliant. Although maybe only if you like historical fiction.

Robert Harris books are good.

I’ve never heard of this author or these series of books but very much enjoy historical novels. Would also recommend the War of the Roses books by Conn Iggelton starting with Stormbird, there are four in the series.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024