Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keeping things in perspective 00:13 - Oct 8 with 3257 viewsbaz_qpr

... well at least trying to given its early days still but fluck it I'm going to say it.

Man for man this is a better squad than the 2011 promotion team under Warnock. That was a team that was pulled up by an exceptional player some really good ones and a wily manager. This squad has a better keeper, a better squad of defenders and full backs, midfield options to die for, exceptional skill all over the park, a good workman number 9 and a potential superstar kid number 9 in the wings whose still got his training wheels attached

And I think we probably have the best "young coach" in the country the Venables of his era

Yes its all potential but its bloody hard not to get excited
Keeping things in perspective on 00:18 - Oct 8 with 3216 viewsLblock

Disagree

That 2011 squad far better in almost every position
That aside….you have a huge cheat code in 2011 named “Adel Tarrabat”; play that card and it’s game, set, match.

All that aside I think Beale has really showed he can build.
Lots to love

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Keeping things in perspective on 00:28 - Oct 8 with 3151 viewsChrisNW6

Agreed on the Venables comparison.

I back every manager to the hilt and hate the merry-go-round, but this one feels special. Very early days, but tonight's press conference was perfection.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2022 0:31]
Keeping things in perspective on 00:29 - Oct 8 with 3144 viewsNorthantsHoop

I think we have a tremendous range of midfield players, all versatile and the best we have had for years. Be interesting to see how Richards fits in when he is fit. So pleased Johansen is playing well again, such a super player for us in my opinion.
Keeping things in perspective on 00:32 - Oct 8 with 3111 viewsDWQPR

What I want to know is if Beale thinks the time to peak is March, then we are running out of places above us, so where the fùck he expects to be when we are meant to be at our peak!🤷‍♂️

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Keeping things in perspective on 01:09 - Oct 8 with 2991 viewskensalriser

Keeping things in perspective on 00:32 - Oct 8 by DWQPR

What I want to know is if Beale thinks the time to peak is March, then we are running out of places above us, so where the fùck he expects to be when we are meant to be at our peak!🤷‍♂️

Even further ahead! Its easy to forget that the 2011 team was really running out of steam by the end, just two wins from the last seven games.

2011 squad better, no doubt. I'd have Laird in for Orr (but not Walker) and Chair/Willock competing for Ephraim/Buzsaky/Routledge but for first choice players that's about as far as it goes unless you think our current central defenders are better than Gorkks and Connolly (close call).

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Keeping things in perspective on 01:21 - Oct 8 with 2965 viewsPunteR

Keeping things in perspective on 01:09 - Oct 8 by kensalriser

Even further ahead! Its easy to forget that the 2011 team was really running out of steam by the end, just two wins from the last seven games.

2011 squad better, no doubt. I'd have Laird in for Orr (but not Walker) and Chair/Willock competing for Ephraim/Buzsaky/Routledge but for first choice players that's about as far as it goes unless you think our current central defenders are better than Gorkks and Connolly (close call).

Field in for Faurlin?

I don't think this team is very far off the 2011 team. Take Taraabt out of the equation. Having said that Helgason was top draw as well and miles ahead of our forwards atm. Although Dykes header tonight was pure class.

Does seem a bit early to start making comparisons now though.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2022 1:26]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Keeping things in perspective on 07:31 - Oct 8 with 2675 viewsDWQPR

We also had two of the best on field leaders for a very long time, Lords Shaun of Derry and Clint of Nofùckerisgettingpastme.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Keeping things in perspective on 07:37 - Oct 8 with 2651 viewstraininvain

Keeping things in perspective on 01:21 - Oct 8 by PunteR

Field in for Faurlin?

I don't think this team is very far off the 2011 team. Take Taraabt out of the equation. Having said that Helgason was top draw as well and miles ahead of our forwards atm. Although Dykes header tonight was pure class.

Does seem a bit early to start making comparisons now though.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2022 1:26]

Faurlin hard to beat as a Rangers all time great imho.

And surely it’d be Field for Derry if we’re talking like for like with Johansen/Dozzell more similar to Faurlin.
Login to get fewer ads

Keeping things in perspective on 07:46 - Oct 8 with 2607 viewsstevec

The 2011 side controlled the park, we are not at that level yet, many games still feel they could go either way. They could also undo sides who just came to defend, something we also are finding hard to do.

That said, this is a young team and they do have more upside than the 2011 squad.
Keeping things in perspective on 09:59 - Oct 8 with 2388 viewsPunteR

Keeping things in perspective on 07:37 - Oct 8 by traininvain

Faurlin hard to beat as a Rangers all time great imho.

And surely it’d be Field for Derry if we’re talking like for like with Johansen/Dozzell more similar to Faurlin.

Yeh I did question myself there. Probably more comparable to Derry. Field hasn't really got the passing range of Faurlin whereas Johansen has.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Keeping things in perspective on 10:21 - Oct 8 with 2325 viewsfrancisbowles

I think the only time for comparisons is after 46 games. 13 games does not make a marathon and the 2010/11 side went the distance and won the league.
Keeping things in perspective on 13:30 - Oct 8 with 2231 viewsbaz_qpr

indulge me though for the sake of a debate

Goalkeepers

Seny Dieng V Paddy Kenny - DIENG for me the better keeper, all round game, command of the box

Right Back

Bradley Orr / Kyle Walker V Ethen Laird / Ozzy Kakay - DRAW much off a muchness we only had Walker a few months, I think very similar to Laird quality wise

Left Back

Clint Hill V Kenny Paal - DRAW - Tough one because Clint was such a great player for us but played more as a 3rd centre back at left back. Paal looks the best left back we've had for years and brings more going forward.

Centre Backs

Gorks / Fitz Hall / Connelly / Ramage V Dickie / Dunne / Clarke Salter / Balagun - 2022 SQUAD WIN

I think our current set of centre backs are better players, better on the ball, better balanced I think Dunne / Gorks might be close but Connelly/Hall/Ramage dont make our 22 squad

Defensive Midfield

Shaun Derry (My lord) V Sam Field (the shield) / Tim (the unspellable) - FIELD/TIM WIN, As much as I loved Derry there was only one of him, Derry v Field would be close but on depth and mobility I think we are stronger this year

Midfield Playmaker

Faurlin V Johansson - FAURLIN WIN, no brainer this one Ale being the best 8 since Wilkins

Rest of the Midfield

Buzsaky / Rowlands / Vaagan Moen V Amos / Dozell / Richards 2022 SQUAD WIN - I think we have more depth and mobility this season. Rowly and Buz were great players for us but were at the latter end of their careers

Star Attacking Midfielder

Taarabt V Willock - TAARABT WIN, Adel was a world class talent with a bad attitude in a championship team that was built around him. Willock is a fantastic player who I'm sure will probably go the very top but easiest to judge

Attacking Midfielders / Second Striker

Mackie / Ephraim / Routledge / Smith V Chair / Adomah / Shodipo /(Roberts) DRAW - Routledge was an outstanding player but so is Chair and I would say Chair is more dynamic and creative. Mackie was great for half a season before injury and brought goals

Centre Forwards / Number 9s

Helgusson / Ageymang / Hulse / Clarke / Miller V Dykes / Roberts / Bonne / Armstrong - DRAW

If I was just doing Helgusson V Dykes I think this is a straight win for 2011 squad but behind Helgusson was a fair amount off Dross none of whom had much of an impact. I think with Armstrong we have potentially something quite special if we can keep him fit and get him that first goal. And Roberts is better than any of those back ups to Helgusson IMHO.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2022 13:31]
Keeping things in perspective on 13:41 - Oct 8 with 2192 viewsdmm

That's quite convincing, baz. Good work.

Of course, for a football team the saying "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts" is true - or should be. I think that idea is part of Beale repeatedly saying recently that the star QPR player should be the team. Even with this idea perhaps our 2022 squad sneaks ahead of the 2011 one as the team spirit is phenomenal this season.

A big but though - the 2022 squad has not achieved anything yet.
Keeping things in perspective on 14:52 - Oct 8 with 2082 viewsthemodfather

for me we seem parallel to this time last season, then after new year and we did not strengthen up front imo, we fell away .THIS TIME i am hoping if still top 6 around transfer window the board back Beale and have a go, surely worth a loan or two ?
Keeping things in perspective on 15:09 - Oct 8 with 2036 viewsLazyFan

Keeping things in perspective on 13:30 - Oct 8 by baz_qpr

Goalkeepers

Seny Dieng V Paddy Kenny - DIENG for me the better keeper, all round game, command of the box

Right Back

Bradley Orr / Kyle Walker V Ethen Laird / Ozzy Kakay - DRAW much off a muchness we only had Walker a few months, I think very similar to Laird quality wise

Left Back

Clint Hill V Kenny Paal - DRAW - Tough one because Clint was such a great player for us but played more as a 3rd centre back at left back. Paal looks the best left back we've had for years and brings more going forward.

Centre Backs

Gorks / Fitz Hall / Connelly / Ramage V Dickie / Dunne / Clarke Salter / Balagun - 2022 SQUAD WIN

I think our current set of centre backs are better players, better on the ball, better balanced I think Dunne / Gorks might be close but Connelly/Hall/Ramage dont make our 22 squad

Defensive Midfield

Shaun Derry (My lord) V Sam Field (the shield) / Tim (the unspellable) - FIELD/TIM WIN, As much as I loved Derry there was only one of him, Derry v Field would be close but on depth and mobility I think we are stronger this year

Midfield Playmaker

Faurlin V Johansson - FAURLIN WIN, no brainer this one Ale being the best 8 since Wilkins

Rest of the Midfield

Buzsaky / Rowlands / Vaagan Moen V Amos / Dozell / Richards 2022 SQUAD WIN - I think we have more depth and mobility this season. Rowly and Buz were great players for us but were at the latter end of their careers

Taarabt V Willock - TAARABT WIN, Adel was a world class talent with a bad attitude in a championship team that was built around him. Willock is a fantastic player who I'm sure will probably go the very top but easiest to judge

Mackie / Ephraim / Routledge / Smith V Chair / Adomah / Shodipo /(Roberts) DRAW - Routledge was an outstanding player but so is Chair and I would say Chair is more dynamic and creative. Mackie was great for half a season before injury and brought goals

Helgusson / Ageymang / Hulse / Clarke / Miller V Dykes / Roberts / Bonne / Armstrong - DRAW

If I was just doing Helgusson V Dykes I think this is a straight win for 2011 squad but behind Helgusson was a fair amount off Dross none of whom had much of an impact. I think with Armstrong we have potentially something quite special if we can keep him fit and get him that first goal. And Roberts is better than any of those back ups to Helgusson IMHO.

I am not sure I agree with your concise assessment.

Derry is better than Field as he could also slot into Defence and no one ever bullied him. Field I have seen bullied by Mowatt. Derry is the winner here for me. Also a leader on the pitch which Field is not there just yet.

Buz & Rowlands are way better than our 2nd string midfield, although that could change if Tim keeps up his performance from yesterday.

Helgusson can do everything Dykes does, but better as he won more in the air and unlike Dykes he scored way more goals. Helgusson was prem class as he showed a year later, whereas no one will say that Dykes is anywhere near prem class. I know you said this, but he was just so good that's still a win for the 2011.

For me 2011 is way ahead of this squad, however if they can ...

- Maintain the same form as a whole squad
- Tim improves to sustain yesterday's performance levels
- Willock stays fit and plays most games
- Dykes starts scoring a few more

Then we have a chance, the problem is, those are a lot of big IF's and as we have seen last year, it can all fade away so quickly ...

One worry already is that I have noticed is that Uncle is way off the pace. I am hoping that's due to a lack of matches rather than his legs having gone as we know they can with golden oldies.

zzzzzzzzzz

Keeping things in perspective on 15:13 - Oct 8 with 2030 viewsBoston

Beale will enter my brilliant category if we don't blow up after Christmas. At the moment, I am impressed by his managerial ability and delighted by our start.

This squad has the look of a 2011 quality side, but has yet to prove itself. Come back in March.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Keeping things in perspective on 19:06 - Oct 8 with 1900 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

When someone talks about “perspective”, I refer them to the wise words of David Dt Hubbins.
Sorry, but it’s a trigger word for me … giggle fits etc.

Keeping things in perspective on 19:18 - Oct 8 with 1843 viewsThGrimRanger

Keeping things in perspective on 14:52 - Oct 8 by themodfather

for me we seem parallel to this time last season, then after new year and we did not strengthen up front imo, we fell away .THIS TIME i am hoping if still top 6 around transfer window the board back Beale and have a go, surely worth a loan or two ?

apols for the down arrow - it was meant to be an uparrow that missed

TheGrimRanger

Keeping things in perspective on 19:20 - Oct 8 with 1829 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Keeping things in perspective on 15:13 - Oct 8 by Boston

Beale will enter my brilliant category if we don't blow up after Christmas. At the moment, I am impressed by his managerial ability and delighted by our start.

This squad has the look of a 2011 quality side, but has yet to prove itself. Come back in March.

I reckon the mid-season break suits us. Get to mid-November in the mix and then get a bonus month of Beale improving everyone without the pressure of results.
Keeping things in perspective on 19:25 - Oct 8 with 1821 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I won’t be drawn into comparing the 2011 promotion side with this one, especially in October, but doesn’t it feel good being successful without buying the league?
Keeping things in perspective on 19:32 - Oct 8 with 1782 viewsQPROslo

Keeping things in perspective on 13:30 - Oct 8 by baz_qpr

Goalkeepers

Right Back

Left Back

Centre Backs

Defensive Midfield

Midfield Playmaker

Rest of the Midfield

Think you forgot the great Danny Shittu. Would have loved to see him playing alongside Balogun!
Keeping things in perspective on 19:53 - Oct 8 with 1709 viewsSuperhoops2808

Keeping things in perspective on 19:25 - Oct 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

I won’t be drawn into comparing the 2011 promotion side with this one, especially in October, but doesn’t it feel good being successful without buying the league?

To pick up on that

Nice to hear on Sky last night that we are the top of the bottom 8 in budget terms...

I am sure that makes sense when you think about it but it doesn't when you write it down
Keeping things in perspective on 20:08 - Oct 8 with 1681 viewsjoe90

Difficult to compare imo. Very different managers and playing style, but that aside, I’d love to see 2011 Fraulin in this squad. Obviously Taarabt was the stand out player, but he has sent us Willock.

As much as I enjoyed 2011 season, this period feels like the real deal. Even if we don’t get promoted, we’re doing it the right way and without any of the drama.

Who knows, it could go our way? The winter break could be a real blessing for us? Anyway, mustn’t forget to enjoy the moment. Hold onto the memories from last night - Loftus Road under the lights and the R’s coming from behind to win, that’s what we’re here for!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024