Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom 12:13 - Nov 4 with 33277 viewsCLAREMAN1995

I have been happily reading those threads for years hanging on every word Brian types and watching the usual suspects cheer , cry , vent and either celebrate or lash out haha.
Its my time to jump in and set one up hopefully its lucky because I am not .
QPR 3 WBA 0
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:29 - Nov 5 with 2653 viewsManinBlack

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:06 - Nov 5 by ted_hendrix

Dreadful performance right across the board.

No excuses at all, we got what we deserved hopefully that'll teach us a lesson.

The odd couple of players having an off day I can live with but dear me, least we got It out of the way, I always had WBA down as top six with their squad.

You would like to think that a lesson will be learned but I thought that after Birmingham. Unfortunate for us we didn't play these when Bruce was manager. They may be bottom 3 but their GD is only minus 2. I was wary of this game as that is only one win in the last 7 meetings for us. When we get in a bad run against a particular club we seem to keep it going no matter the league position.

Just another typical result for us against a team in the relegation zone, we do it season after season. I expect us to make hard work of Huddersfield too as Blackburn did today. As is customary after a good display at Norwich we follow up with an insipid home performance.

The noticeable thing today was how bad our delivery into the box was in contrast to what I saw from Sheffield Utd in the second half earlier where every cross caused chaos in Burnley's defence.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:32 - Nov 5 with 2635 viewsed_83

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:21 - Nov 5 by stainrods_elbow

As far as I'm aware, we play the same number of games as everyone else and I don't think our squad is significantly smaller than most other clubs', is it? If it is, why isnt it being enlarged? But if we're 'running out of steam' with less than half the season played, heaven help us!

After a creditable showing at Norwich, it looks to me like the team bottled the occasion in front of a new full house, as well as lacking the quality, inventiveness and tactical awareness to break down a solid but unspectacular/overrated WBA. It's not the end of the world, but it's a disspiriting reality check on our progress under Beale. We have serious limitations in midfield and up top, not helped by Chair getting deeper and deeper today, and trying to play far too much through the congested centre. That was lacklustre, and the fans deserve better.

I'll be interested to see MB pick the bones out of that one as there was precious little flesh on them. What we produce on Tuesday will tell us a lot about the character of this side now.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2022 17:24]

We seem to have a habit of stepping up a gear against better teams, as with the Norwich and Sheff Utd games, and then delivering really weak, slow, unimaginative displays against teams lower down the table.

Can't tell if it's complacency, the pressure of expectation, or the difficulties of breaking down teams who set up to be more defensive, but something about our mentality and approach to matches like this clearly isn't quite right.

Every team goes through slumps and we've not suddenly become terrible overnight, but if we want to be competing at the top end of the table we need to sort this inconsistency out. No use battling to a hard-fought draw at Norwich if we then immediately go and lose to West Brom and Huddersfield.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:33 - Nov 5 with 2606 viewsDamo1962

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:21 - Nov 5 by stainrods_elbow

As far as I'm aware, we play the same number of games as everyone else and I don't think our squad is significantly smaller than most other clubs', is it? If it is, why isnt it being enlarged? But if we're 'running out of steam' with less than half the season played, heaven help us!

After a creditable showing at Norwich, it looks to me like the team bottled the occasion in front of a new full house, as well as lacking the quality, inventiveness and tactical awareness to break down a solid but unspectacular/overrated WBA. It's not the end of the world, but it's a disspiriting reality check on our progress under Beale. We have serious limitations in midfield and up top, not helped by Chair getting deeper and deeper today, and trying to play far too much through the congested centre. That was lacklustre, and the fans deserve better.

I'll be interested to see MB pick the bones out of that one as there was precious little flesh on them. What we produce on Tuesday will tell us a lot about the character of this side now.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2022 17:24]

I'm sure I read Beale saying he wanted to reduce the size of the squad? Don't think.lack of numbers is the problem with the squad, it is too many fragile players and bench warmers,who will never make it in this League.You are spot on about other clubs coping better than us with the gruelling Championship schedule.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:35 - Nov 5 with 2590 viewsDamo1962

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:22 - Nov 5 by Burnleyhoop

Tim’s got the tools, JoJo the experience. Both struggle at times because neither have both.

Can we splice them together?
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:35 - Nov 5 with 2603 viewsGreenbay

MATCH ANALYSIS
QPR 0 West Brom 1
First the good news.
We have dropped just one place to fifth and we are two points clear of 7th placed Watford.
In addition we still have a game in hand and just a point behind fourth-placed winners Norwich.
So this defeat is not the end of the world — although 3 games without scoring a goal is worrying.
However we can resurrect our top 6 hopes by giving Huddersfield a good beating at Loftus Road on Tuesday followed by a victory at Coventry next Saturday.
Let’s be honest about our second from bottom opponents.
They played like a team in hot promotion form.
And why? Well they were boosted by new manager Carlos Corberan.
He made sure they delivered an intensity hardly ever shown under Steve Bruce before he was fired.
Sharp in attack with Wallace and Swift and solid in defence when we attacked.
West Brom will rapidly climb the table based on this display.
As for us did we produce a top six performance at any stage?
Well yes - we delivered some impressive football for 20 minutes after HT.
We moved up a couple of gears with slick passing and good movement.
No doubt Mick Beale had a word or two at the interval.
But just as we looked as if we were about to take the lead — there was Bartley heading in a Swift free-kick midway through the second.
We tried hard but just couldn’t recover.
Looking back we were outplayed in the first 20 minutes.
Poor passing and poor marking.
Dickie started poorly but improved massively as the game continued.
Even the ever-reliable Balogun made mistakes.
But then we bounced back with a solid revival before the break.
In attack, despite several patient moves, we were only able to produce half-chances — even when we dominated for that spell just after HT.
Disappointing yes.
But we still have a team that is superior to last year.
A top 6 spot is still on and we’re not even halfway through the season yet.
We can still deliver.
Fifth spot at this stage - I'll take that.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:37 - Nov 5 with 2591 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:27 - Nov 5 by Malintabuk

That is 2 games in a week for me and can honestly say that we could still be playing either Birmingham team and will not score.... which is the big worry for me
I have always said I rarely post straight after a loss. We were poor today and a shadow of the team we were a few short weeks ago.
Not sure what MB was trying to do today and the substitutions were far to late for me..... I think he got them wrong
The 0-0 at Norwich was a decent result, but this is the third game where we have never looked like scoring
Hopefully it is just a bad week ....and we can change things on Tuesday....
A real pity a great turnout and today

Agree with some of that in as much as it was very similar to the Brum game, they'd done their homework and bullied us out of it at times. However bit harsh to say we haven't looked like scoring for three matches, created a number of chances against Norwich and a few against Brum despite being second best. Every game is different in the championship, doubt anyone really had Burnley down for a bum gobbing today for example. We deserved nothing today that said, hands up but we move on.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:42 - Nov 5 with 2515 viewsDamo1962

That is 2 games in a week for me and can honestly say that we could still be playing either Birmingham team and will not score.... which is the big worry for me
I have always said I rarely post straight after a loss. We were poor today and a shadow of the team we were a few short weeks ago.
Not sure what MB was trying to do today and the substitutions were far to late for me..... I think he got them wrong
The 0-0 at Norwich was a decent result, but this is the third game where we have never looked like scoring

This is MB's first setback. Will be interesting to see what he comes up with. He is of course as handicapped as all previous managers in recent times, by not having any decent attacking options at the club. When we stop scoring, we seem to find it very hard to change it. If we are still in the top six come the WC, he will have done very well.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:43 - Nov 5 with 2522 viewsHunterhoop

WBA we’re just very well organised and we couldn’t break them down.

Personally I think Dykes played well. The issue was behind him. Several times we chose not to play the early cross when in their third when he made a great run across his man.

Chair and Willock were crowded out. Willock didn’t look match fit. And Chair, recognising he had no space to operate in, dropped deep to pick it up and then, when with the ball at his feet, took the safe option every time of cutting inside. Both of them, on multiple occasions, turned down giving to Paal or Adomah to whip it in. All crosses were inswinger a from one front of the defence - so much easier to defend.

Tim tried. Field worked hard. Dickie really struggled. But as a team we just looked unsure of how to play through them.

Ultimately WBA outworked us. They pressed hard. They shuffled left to right (and vice versa) quicker than we could work it side to side, and their full backs positioned aggressively tight.

I think Beale was outcoached today. Sure he’ll learn from it.

Even though we started the half brightly, I did feel we needed to go 352, to ask th m different questions. When Amos went down, I felt the chance was there, but it required Field dropping in and Chair and Willock playing either side of Tim.

Sounds aggressive, but it felt right.

7 halves without a goal now. 1 point in 3. Lots of work to be done!
Login to get fewer ads

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:44 - Nov 5 with 2479 viewsDamo1962

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:29 - Nov 5 by ManinBlack

You would like to think that a lesson will be learned but I thought that after Birmingham. Unfortunate for us we didn't play these when Bruce was manager. They may be bottom 3 but their GD is only minus 2. I was wary of this game as that is only one win in the last 7 meetings for us. When we get in a bad run against a particular club we seem to keep it going no matter the league position.

Just another typical result for us against a team in the relegation zone, we do it season after season. I expect us to make hard work of Huddersfield too as Blackburn did today. As is customary after a good display at Norwich we follow up with an insipid home performance.

The noticeable thing today was how bad our delivery into the box was in contrast to what I saw from Sheffield Utd in the second half earlier where every cross caused chaos in Burnley's defence.

Brom have only lost one more game than us now. Very tight in this league this year.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:46 - Nov 5 with 2479 viewsSteveB

Two words: Effin pathetic.

Stuck at Ealing Broadway, no bastard trains. What a fckn waste of a day.. Cold, wet, pizzed off..
[Post edited 5 Nov 2022 19:37]
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:47 - Nov 5 with 2474 viewsManinBlack

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:33 - Nov 5 by Damo1962

I'm sure I read Beale saying he wanted to reduce the size of the squad? Don't think.lack of numbers is the problem with the squad, it is too many fragile players and bench warmers,who will never make it in this League.You are spot on about other clubs coping better than us with the gruelling Championship schedule.

It was interesting hearing the Luton manager describing the world Cup as a waste of time and because of it, all the EFL clubs have big injury concerns cramming in so many games before it starts and after the WC finishes. I don't often agree with him but in this case I think he is right.

However, other clubs do seem to cope with it better. Luton won away today with their injury hit team and they were missing players when they brushed us aside. With Willock back I was expecting more from us at home than what we delivered.

Coventry are doing quite well at present despite what the table says. Winning away at Watford today shows that we won't get it easy in the last game before the break.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:48 - Nov 5 with 2455 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Felt like Warburton was back in charge. Endless arsing around at the back, no end product, poor use of subs.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:54 - Nov 5 with 2397 viewsDamo1962

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:47 - Nov 5 by ManinBlack

It was interesting hearing the Luton manager describing the world Cup as a waste of time and because of it, all the EFL clubs have big injury concerns cramming in so many games before it starts and after the WC finishes. I don't often agree with him but in this case I think he is right.

However, other clubs do seem to cope with it better. Luton won away today with their injury hit team and they were missing players when they brushed us aside. With Willock back I was expecting more from us at home than what we delivered.

Coventry are doing quite well at present despite what the table says. Winning away at Watford today shows that we won't get it easy in the last game before the break.

We need to stop taking teams for granted. Both Huddersfield and Coventry will be as tough as they come. Win either, and it will be a good response. More likely to be two draws at best for me. I just hope the team doesn't drop off like last season...that would be heart-breaking.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 18:50 - Nov 5 with 2133 views89_50

A performance as damp as the weather, unfortunately.

I wondered if Dickie's handful of errors within the first 15 minutes would set the tone of the day, and sadly it did.

Corboran has got that WBA team very well organised. They worked hard for each other, kept shape well and immediately squeezed the space when out of the ball.

We've struggled this season when teams are like that, and (to me) that's the biggest thing we need to sort out.

Our tactic of hoping Dykes could win the ball and hold it up, never looked like working, while I found it frustrating that we continuously got the ball in crossing positions, only to cut back and clip it in once WBA got all their players back.

We always experience these lean periods, but it's just unfortunately come at the wrong time (if there ever is a right time).

Fingers crossed we can bang in a couple midweek, arrest this mini slide and finish this part of the season strongly at Cov.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 18:54 - Nov 5 with 2099 viewsnix

I agree with all of this. I was really disappointed Beale didn't make subs earlier. In particular bringing Armstrong on in the 90th minute. What was the point of that?
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 18:57 - Nov 5 with 2090 viewsPaddyhoops

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:54 - Nov 5 by Damo1962

We need to stop taking teams for granted. Both Huddersfield and Coventry will be as tough as they come. Win either, and it will be a good response. More likely to be two draws at best for me. I just hope the team doesn't drop off like last season...that would be heart-breaking.

Game could have gone either way today. It happened to go to WBA who looked well organised without being particularly threatening.
We started poorly and despite a good spell half way through the first half we never looked like Scoring.
Think we should switch to 3 at the back for Huddersfield. Give Laird and Paal more freedom to go forward.
We’ve become a bit predictable but still fancy us to get results in our next two!!
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 18:57 - Nov 5 with 2085 viewsdistortR

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 18:57 - Nov 5 by Paddyhoops

Game could have gone either way today. It happened to go to WBA who looked well organised without being particularly threatening.
We started poorly and despite a good spell half way through the first half we never looked like Scoring.
Think we should switch to 3 at the back for Huddersfield. Give Laird and Paal more freedom to go forward.
We’ve become a bit predictable but still fancy us to get results in our next two!!

Last season, this season, just goes to show how reliant we are on a fully fit Jojo
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 18:58 - Nov 5 with 2082 viewsdmm

It felt to me like another Luton/Brum game where we were once again outmuscled, often bullied and unable to cope with a team that got in our faces right from the start. Beale hasn't yet found how to make us more resilient to teams playing like that against us.

We started sluggishly and took a long time to get going. Our passing was often sloppy too.

A lot of work to be done in training methinks.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 19:01 - Nov 5 with 2063 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 18:54 - Nov 5 by nix

I agree with all of this. I was really disappointed Beale didn't make subs earlier. In particular bringing Armstrong on in the 90th minute. What was the point of that?

Agree about Beale's subs. I couldn't fathom that.
I also agree with Hunter that he could have changed our formation just to vary the point and/or type of attack.

Also, very worried about him leaving Willock on for the full game on his first start back. That's a huge risk. And he's got caught once before taking that risk.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 19:08 - Nov 5 with 2013 viewsnix

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 19:01 - Nov 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Agree about Beale's subs. I couldn't fathom that.
I also agree with Hunter that he could have changed our formation just to vary the point and/or type of attack.

Also, very worried about him leaving Willock on for the full game on his first start back. That's a huge risk. And he's got caught once before taking that risk.

We were saying exactly that about Willock.

And agree about freshening up the tactics.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 19:09 - Nov 5 with 2014 viewsRuislipHoop

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 17:48 - Nov 5 by Wegerles_Stairs

Felt like Warburton was back in charge. Endless arsing around at the back, no end product, poor use of subs.

Absolutely agree with this
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 19:32 - Nov 5 with 1915 viewsStanisgod

Yeah, not sure how big a squad people want, ours almost goes off the back of the programme, and we take the mick out of forests squad.
Trouble is its quantity not quality, and with so many sicknotes youre going to struggle at times.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 19:50 - Nov 5 with 1830 viewsYokelR

Team that wanted it more won?

We did lots of pretty little first time passes but created almost no chances.

Hope it's a wake up call that we have to do the tough sticking a foot in side of efl football rather than thinking we're Championship man City?

That said massively overachieving so keep going Mr Beale..
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 20:12 - Nov 5 with 1707 viewsNorthantsHoop

Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 18:58 - Nov 5 by dmm

It felt to me like another Luton/Brum game where we were once again outmuscled, often bullied and unable to cope with a team that got in our faces right from the start. Beale hasn't yet found how to make us more resilient to teams playing like that against us.

We started sluggishly and took a long time to get going. Our passing was often sloppy too.

A lot of work to be done in training methinks.

Agree WBA had the game plan, we lacked intensity and got punished. Also for the first time this season the crowd seemed flat and it sort of mirrored Rangers performance.
Losing My Virginity Match Thread QPR V West Brom on 20:39 - Nov 5 with 1582 viewsNW5Hoop

For 20 minutes in the first half I thought we were breathtakingly good. The passing in their half was fabulous — quick and accurate. There was one moment right in front of me when Chair somehow got in first for a ball the WBA player clearly expected to win, swerved away from him, then from another WBA player that just made me laugh at the playfulness of it.

But all through we gave away the ball far too much in our own half — time and time and time again. We didn't create good chances — Laird was amazing at everything except putting in the final ball. And in the second half either we forgot what we'd been doing in the first, or they stopped us doing it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024