Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London ULEZ, who can afford it now 10:03 - Nov 25 with 30629 viewsRangersDave

Just announced that ULEZ in the smoke is going to get bigger, and expanded to cover all of London.

WTF?

Up here in Manchester it will happen soon, making average Joe and Josephine pay to take their car past the boundary, which extends to the border with the M6!

all in all, what a sh1t show.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2022 10:23]

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:13 - Nov 25 with 2652 viewsBenny_the_Ball

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:59 - Nov 25 by hamptonhillhoop

I had to get rid of my 2010 Passat last year as it didn't qualify. I've also got a 24 year old classic mini. 1.3 petrol engine. It doesn't qualify for ULEZ. From what I've read on forums it doesn't actually breach Ulez but the tests done now wouldn't have been done then. The advice from TFL is to go back to the manufacturer. This can't be done as Rover no longer exist. My friend has a 1978 MG with a 1.8 engine. This is fine as it is exempt due to classic status. I do about 1000 miles a year in this car and will now be forced to sell it. However, someone can drive a 2.5 litre newer car around just fine. On another note, how are people supposed to just replace their cars in the current climate?

Such a shame as it's been proven that on the whole classic cars are cleaner than modern cars. Owners of these vehicles will typically love, upgrade, and maintain them, thereby lowering emissions.

IMHO taxes such as VED and schemes such as ULEZ shouldn't be based purely on manufacturer figures (which are often outdated and exaggerated). For me, it should be based on actual emissions. This could be determined from the MOT database.

For example, when you purchase VED, the MOT database is cross-referenced to ensure that the vehicle in question has a current MOT in place. Why not take this a step further and check the MOT emissions results? The rate of VED could then be tiered according to actual emissions, thereby rewarding those who maintain their vehicles. Similarly, ULEZ could target genuinely dirty vehicles (regardless of age) by referencing emission results. This would ensure that heritage vehicles such as your Mini are not unnecessarily sold or scrapped.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2022 18:14]
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:17 - Nov 25 with 2659 viewsAntti_Heinola

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:11 - Nov 25 by PinnerPaul

" switch to public transport"

Not that old one - MIGHT work, ONLY if there was massive investment in public transport.

As you regular away trippers always tell the rest of us - the national rail network is a shambles for a start.

Have a family, can drive, never owned a car in 25 years.
Occasional trips need a taxi or hire car - once or twice a year. A lot of nonsense spouted by motorists imo, and investment in London Underground by livingston made a huge difference. Bus C service is excellent. Electric and non electric bike hire is excellent. Inside london i can’t understand needing to own a car other than for jobs that need it for gear etc. most people i know with cats make countless unnecessary car trips. Kick the habit.

Bare bones.

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:19 - Nov 25 with 2649 viewsToast_R

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:59 - Nov 25 by hamptonhillhoop

I had to get rid of my 2010 Passat last year as it didn't qualify. I've also got a 24 year old classic mini. 1.3 petrol engine. It doesn't qualify for ULEZ. From what I've read on forums it doesn't actually breach Ulez but the tests done now wouldn't have been done then. The advice from TFL is to go back to the manufacturer. This can't be done as Rover no longer exist. My friend has a 1978 MG with a 1.8 engine. This is fine as it is exempt due to classic status. I do about 1000 miles a year in this car and will now be forced to sell it. However, someone can drive a 2.5 litre newer car around just fine. On another note, how are people supposed to just replace their cars in the current climate?

Won't your Mini become a classic next year and become exempt though?
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:22 - Nov 25 with 2641 viewsPinnerPaul

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:17 - Nov 25 by Antti_Heinola

Occasional trips need a taxi or hire car - once or twice a year. A lot of nonsense spouted by motorists imo, and investment in London Underground by livingston made a huge difference. Bus C service is excellent. Electric and non electric bike hire is excellent. Inside london i can’t understand needing to own a car other than for jobs that need it for gear etc. most people i know with cats make countless unnecessary car trips. Kick the habit.

Depends on the individual and what they do of course.

I do close to 15,000 miles a year as a retiree, if you think I'm getting back from Enfield Town after an evening game by public transport, you're dreaming!

In all seriousness, and think this applies to most, you would have to dedicate at least twice the time you spend in the car to public transport travel if switching 100% - I would anyway.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:23 - Nov 25 with 2635 viewsTacticalR

What is the connection between cats and car trips?

Air hostess clique

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:28 - Nov 25 with 2601 viewsBenny_the_Ball

That's all fair and well inside London but the topic under debate is the extension of the scheme to outer London where public transport isn't so great and services not readily available on your doorstep.

Most folk in the suburbs don't have your luxury of operating locally. Many commute long distances to go to work or support business. This is simply impractical on electric bikes or scooters.

Don't view life through your prism. Kick the habit.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:42 - Nov 25 with 2580 viewsswisscottage

Its one way to not get re-elected as Mayor, I give him that.

Living in Rickmansworth its not going to affect me that much, as we're just outside the zone, so I won't be forced to pay £12 every time I move the car.

I don't drive into London these days anyway, as the 20 mile an hour limit just make driving around London complete nightmare and its just faster on the tube once you're inside the north circular.

The only impact it will have is to stop me from driving to Ruislip Gardens to catch the central line in to go White City and will now add 15 minutes each-way to my football journey.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:44 - Nov 25 with 2576 viewsBlackCrowe

Know so many people in greater London and home counties that used to drive into London for theatre, meals, shopping but have given it up...driving has been so penalised, it takes twice as long at least by public transport due to congestion charging, increased traffic from LTN schemes, cycle lanes etc. They still go maybe once a year as opposed to once every month or two.

God knows what that does to London's venues, restaurants, car parks, pubs, shops.

Kingston's the same... only really attract those that live in the immediate vicinity...it's days as a destination shopping centre for wider Surrey are long gone. I never really liked it much in it's heyday but now it's truly tatty.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Login to get fewer ads

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 19:55 - Nov 25 with 2523 viewsstowmarketrange

I’m not sure I would have a car if I lived in London because of the transport options.Where I live though it’s a necessity.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 19:55 - Nov 25 with 2522 viewshamptonhillhoop

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:19 - Nov 25 by Toast_R

Won't your Mini become a classic next year and become exempt though?

It's 40 years now as far as I'm aware. Certainly for tax exemption
[Post edited 25 Nov 2022 19:56]
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 21:36 - Nov 25 with 2450 viewsGloryHunter

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:17 - Nov 25 by Lblock

I think we should all stop driving our cars and create this vehicle free utopia these people are seeking

What will they tax next once there’s nothing to tax?
What jobs will they come up with to replace car manufacturers and spin off industries or driving based jobs?
And what will be the next environmental crisis causer they will seek to increase the cost of - Television’s I reckon

Cars are cleaner than they ever have been and there are so fewer older ones that chuck out high levels of pollution. The agenda is clear to see and the motorist remains a cash cow.

"If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet"

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 22:46 - Nov 25 with 2383 viewsLblock

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:04 - Nov 25 by loftupper

I’m sure all the old men on here would soon moan about something else instead. Would at least make a change to the victim whinging from motorists

Ageist

So let’s do it then

Let’s actually get serious and ban all polluting vehicles
I’m all in.

What fills the £2Billion plus void?
How do we live our lives in this car free Utopia?

I’m game but just spell it out to me as a stoopid ol’ bstard

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 00:23 - Nov 26 with 2324 viewsSharpy36

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:02 - Nov 25 by kensalriser

Plastic bags are an environmental nightmare and usage has dropped 97% since the fee was levied (supermarkets don't keep the revenue but donate it to charities). It's heartbreaking to see the images of marine life taking the brunt of plastic pollution.

Pollution and climate change need radical measures and people need to get out of the mindset of fulminating at minor inconveniences while ignoring far reaching environmental destruction and extreme weather events like floods and wildfires that are killing thousands more people than they did even just a few years ago.

"It's heartbreaking to see the images of marine life taking the brunt of plastic pollution"

Yep, their all wearing face masks now...

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 07:49 - Nov 26 with 2241 viewsPunteR

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:02 - Nov 25 by kensalriser

Plastic bags are an environmental nightmare and usage has dropped 97% since the fee was levied (supermarkets don't keep the revenue but donate it to charities). It's heartbreaking to see the images of marine life taking the brunt of plastic pollution.

Pollution and climate change need radical measures and people need to get out of the mindset of fulminating at minor inconveniences while ignoring far reaching environmental destruction and extreme weather events like floods and wildfires that are killing thousands more people than they did even just a few years ago.

Plastic bags is an environmental nightmare.
Are shops giving all the money back from plastic bags to charity?? Maybe the main superstores are. Very noble of them. I can't knock that.
How about all the plastic they sell the products in though?
Why can't shops supply paper bags?

ULEZ is absolutely a money making scheme. Paying ULEZ on top of the congestion charge, on top of the petrol payment, on top of the parking payment.
Plus all the speed cameras on every corner to ping a nice £100 fine and some points your way.
Sticking to 30mph you say? That's a safe speed to travel at in built up areas according to DVLA and your driving instructor.? Hmmm how can we catch motorists out and squeeze more money out of them? Let's drop it to 20mph in random areas and see how they get on with that particular challenge.
Anyone on here trying to dig out motorists for daring to drive to a destination in London can get in the bin.!
[Post edited 26 Nov 2022 8:10]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 08:49 - Nov 26 with 2187 viewsMaggsinho

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 07:49 - Nov 26 by PunteR

Plastic bags is an environmental nightmare.
Are shops giving all the money back from plastic bags to charity?? Maybe the main superstores are. Very noble of them. I can't knock that.
How about all the plastic they sell the products in though?
Why can't shops supply paper bags?

ULEZ is absolutely a money making scheme. Paying ULEZ on top of the congestion charge, on top of the petrol payment, on top of the parking payment.
Plus all the speed cameras on every corner to ping a nice £100 fine and some points your way.
Sticking to 30mph you say? That's a safe speed to travel at in built up areas according to DVLA and your driving instructor.? Hmmm how can we catch motorists out and squeeze more money out of them? Let's drop it to 20mph in random areas and see how they get on with that particular challenge.
Anyone on here trying to dig out motorists for daring to drive to a destination in London can get in the bin.!
[Post edited 26 Nov 2022 8:10]

Driving at 20th is no challenge though is it? You just stick to the speed limit.

Generally a 20/30mph zone will have a large number of pedestrians and studies have shown that whilst 50% of pedestrians will die in a collision at 30, only 5% will die at 20. That’s worth the sacrifice, no?
[Post edited 26 Nov 2022 8:49]
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 10:52 - Nov 26 with 2061 viewsPunteR

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 08:49 - Nov 26 by Maggsinho

Driving at 20th is no challenge though is it? You just stick to the speed limit.

Generally a 20/30mph zone will have a large number of pedestrians and studies have shown that whilst 50% of pedestrians will die in a collision at 30, only 5% will die at 20. That’s worth the sacrifice, no?

Tbf I didn't say it was a particularly difficult challenge. It can catch you out and is a frustrating speed to go at when you've legally been driving at 30 40, 60 70mph on the journey. Small price to pay maybe but add that to all the other things a driver has put up with.
If its about the safety of pedestrians (who shouldn't be in a road) why not make it 10 mph?
It's really for the safety of cyclists isn't it?.
Which again is fair enough. Of course I don't want anyone hurt.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 11:06 - Nov 26 with 2028 viewstraininvain

Got rid of my car last year and it’s not been a problem at all. Granted I live in London near a railway station and bus stops and some people genuinely need a car. But it’s not the necessity that many would have you believe. And I’m saving a small fortune in the process.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 12:41 - Nov 26 with 1969 viewscolinallcars

I bought a car from a sergeant major once - it was really cheap although it needed attenSHUN.
The old ones are the best.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 13:09 - Nov 26 with 1942 viewsNW5Hoop

It remains a myth that motorists are being gouged for cash. Motoring in 2022 is cheaper, in real terms — as a percentage of your income - than it was in the supposed golden age of 1972.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:35 - Nov 26 with 1857 viewsBenny_the_Ball

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 08:49 - Nov 26 by Maggsinho

I don't believe those stats for a second. A pack of lies to justify hitting beleaguered motorists for more cash.

Driving at 20mph is a challenge for those who have grown accustomed to driving at 30mph for many years. It's frustratingly slow (therefore inducing road rage), bad for your engine, bad for your pocket (as you use more fuel and are more likely be flashed by speed cameras), and bad for the environment as you'll emit more emissions.

Meanwhile, electric bicycles and scooters are hitting speeds of 30mph+ with impunity, without a licence, and without paying road tax or insurance.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2022 18:39]
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 20:20 - Nov 26 with 1810 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:35 - Nov 26 by Benny_the_Ball

I don't believe those stats for a second. A pack of lies to justify hitting beleaguered motorists for more cash.

Driving at 20mph is a challenge for those who have grown accustomed to driving at 30mph for many years. It's frustratingly slow (therefore inducing road rage), bad for your engine, bad for your pocket (as you use more fuel and are more likely be flashed by speed cameras), and bad for the environment as you'll emit more emissions.

Meanwhile, electric bicycles and scooters are hitting speeds of 30mph+ with impunity, without a licence, and without paying road tax or insurance.

Agreed. 20mph zones are awful. LTNs too. They won't solve anything and they're divisive and they won't outlast the problem they're allegedly trying to solve.

What I quite like about ULEZ is it's progressive. It's not perfect but it can be improved.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 22:39 - Nov 26 with 1744 viewsNewBee

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 10:52 - Nov 26 by PunteR

Tbf I didn't say it was a particularly difficult challenge. It can catch you out and is a frustrating speed to go at when you've legally been driving at 30 40, 60 70mph on the journey. Small price to pay maybe but add that to all the other things a driver has put up with.
If its about the safety of pedestrians (who shouldn't be in a road) why not make it 10 mph?
It's really for the safety of cyclists isn't it?.
Which again is fair enough. Of course I don't want anyone hurt.

"It's really for the safety of cyclists isn't it?"

Speed limits contribute to everyones safety - pedestrians, cyclists, scooter/moped riders, other car drivers and, of course, the (speeding) drivers thenselves.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2022 22:52]
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 22:47 - Nov 26 with 1729 viewsNewBee

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:35 - Nov 26 by Benny_the_Ball

"Driving at 20mph is a challenge for those who have grown accustomed to driving at 30mph for many years."

Jeez, it's hardly like eg giving up smoking, is it? And in any case, traffic in London just means that scooting off at 30 mph just gets you to the next hold-up or red light a few seconds quicker, which time saving is then swallowed up by being stood still until it clears again.

"It's frustratingly slow (therefore inducing road rage),"

There is NO excuse for someone being an aggressive arsehole. Which is one reason why that "excuse" (quite rightly) doesn't wash with Magistrates or the Police.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2022 22:53]
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 18:06 - Nov 28 with 1539 viewsplasmahoop

On the ulez front, I've just been fined for driving into it on the day of the charlton game. Fair enough to pay the penalty, but today is the first letter about it I've received and I've got a recovery order letter saying I owe £250. I can make a statutory declaration to say I've not received anything, but have to get a solicitor or a magistrate to sign it, which costs. What a pain in the arse!
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 20:28 - Nov 28 with 1467 viewsTGRRRSSS

Money making scam and nothing more.

If everyone stopped driving in the UK for 1 week what would they do without all the money they soak up via the cash grabbing cow it is?

That money has to come from somewhere.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024