Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road. 10:21 - Jan 22 with 37235 viewsEsox_Lucius

IF, and it's a big if. the club were forced away from H&F to build a stadium which could provide income 360+ days a years to generate the revenue to make us competitive as a team again would you be for or against it. Yes or No will suffice, there's no need for comments like "knowing QPR they'd fück it up" etc. Just Yes or No.

The grass is always greener.

Loftus Road. on 13:55 - Jan 22 with 2286 viewsNov77

Loftus Road. on 13:19 - Jan 22 by Toast_R

Yes, I wager the majority of QPR fans no longer live in SB or White City so it doesn't matter. Intact moving outside may even grow the fan base.

Or, more likely, we will lose a lot of the support that we currently have.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Loftus Road. on 13:55 - Jan 22 with 2285 viewsquickpassrotter

Loftus Road. on 11:53 - Jan 22 by TK1

No, never. I'd give up on it.

Walking from White City to The Princess Victoria on Uxbridge Road in the sun yesterday, fans thronging around the stadium, walking by the huge variety of pubs and restaurants of W12. It's Shepherd's Bush! W12. It's a real area, where people live and work and trade. It's has a huge street market. It's not a suburb. It's inner city and yes, we travel there, because it's got QPR, but it's got everything else too.
Then, at 2.25, walking a few pints in down the Uxbridge Road, by The Pocket Watch, The Adelaide, Conningham, the kebab shops, everyone else tipping out and joining the march to the ground...
It's QPR's identity. There's nothing else. Don't fool yourself that QPR in Slough, Hillingdon, Park Royal would be QPR. It'd be a Reading/Millwall hybrid.

I'm yet to go to a new ground outside of its original footprint that is better than the one it replaced for atmosphere or identity: Reading, Coventry, Millwall, West Ham...I live close to Stratford and there isn't a Hammer I know who'd rather go to Stratford than Upton Park.

Redevelopment is different: Bristol is a good example of a massive improvement, Watford. The club could definitely improve facilities for fans at LR - the fact that there's no willingness to do that beyond the director's and corporate facilities for decades says a lot of their true feelings about us.

Brentford, Spurs and Arsenal have all shown that you can move nearby and keep your identity (though I still prefer Highbury). But you have to stay true to your roots. Otherwise, who are you? Who are we? Just a team who play in hoops. The weakness for the club is its location; for its fans it should be all that it is. We are QPR FC from White City. It’s the identity of the club.

I don't know how this is even a question. There are other clubs in the suburbs with leg room and plenty of spare seats.

Well articulated TK1. Spot on with everything you've written here.
Loftus Road. on 14:01 - Jan 22 with 2255 viewskernowhoop

Yes.
Loftus Road. on 14:11 - Jan 22 with 2232 viewsCamberleyR

Loftus Road. on 11:54 - Jan 22 by MelakaRanger

I’ve been going to Loftus Rd since 1967. It was of poor standard then. The new stands are now 50 years old. The stadium as it is will ensure we have no money to improve the club. It really is an ancient relic of the past.

To be honest we need either a new ground elsewhere or Loftus Rd to be demolished and a new 25,000 state of the art stadium built in its place, which would be my preference.

Trouble is a new relocated stadium could be financed to a large extent by redeveloping Loftus Road for housing. But demolishing and rebuilding a new stadium at Loftus Rd would need 100% new money and would probably be more expensive anyway. I can’t see our owners coughing up for that.

You would absolutely not get a brand new, state of the art 25,000 stadium on the current footprint of LR were you to demolish it. Planning permission on a site that size, modern building regs and H&S you'd be lucky to get half that capacity.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 17:12]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Loftus Road. on 14:37 - Jan 22 with 2174 viewsDylanP

Yes

We absolutely cannot compete now. We are condemned to Championship mediocrity AT BEST. The other London teams are leaving us in the dust and it won't get better.

The people who complain about the owners are, frankly, idiots. These owners write checks int he millions every year to cover the losses. That isn't sustainable. Nobody, however rich, is going to keep writing those check indefinitely.

So what is the solution? 1. Luck into a great player (like Taraabt), have a couple of great season before they move on and then sink back into mid-Championship mediocrity. 2. Muddle on as we are hoping for a genie to stop by with three wishes.3. Do something proactive to make the club sustainable. I opt for number 3

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Loftus Road. on 14:44 - Jan 22 with 2144 viewsEsox_Lucius

Loftus Road. on 11:30 - Jan 22 by stowmarketrange

No.From a transport aspect,Loftus Road is in the best possible place.It is easily reachable from every direction rather than some place out in the sticks with buses to take fans to the only railway station in a new area.It has pubs,food outlets and all the facilities that a new ground on an industrial estate somewhere else might not have.
And why should we move to attract new fans who will only stay because we might be in the premier league or the top of the championship?
We have to do more to bring back our missing fans,and find out why they don’t come any more,and do our best to help them attend more games in our cramped little ground.
I don’t have any easy answers,but maybe the club could employ someone who might have more answers than a retired truck driver?
Good to meet you yesterday mate.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 11:31]

Good to meet you and chat too.

The grass is always greener.

Loftus Road. on 14:50 - Jan 22 with 2130 viewsLanhoop

Yes, with misgivings but still yes.
Loftus Road. on 14:55 - Jan 22 with 2119 viewsSonofpugwash

Yes.
Somewhere with parking and leg room.
Aberystwyth would be nice.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road. on 15:05 - Jan 22 with 2106 viewscolinallcars

It really depends on whether you look at it subjectively or objectively.
Objectively yes, the club pretty much has to move out.
Subjectively no, not for me.
Loftus Road. on 15:06 - Jan 22 with 2102 viewsBushRanger82

No
Loftus Road. on 15:07 - Jan 22 with 2100 viewsNW5Hoop

No.

Not out of sentimental attachment to LR. More that I "chose" to support QPR when I moved to London. And it being a place that's easy to get to — that I can walk to if I fancy the exercise — is important to me. And also I like the association of football with city areas. I really don't enjoy going to out of town bowls. I'd like it even less if I had to do it 23 times a season.
Loftus Road. on 15:25 - Jan 22 with 2069 viewsE15Hoop

It has to be a "Yes" for all the commercial reasons that everyone's already brought up.
When the club was founded all those years ago, the borough boundaries were completely different to what they are now. Plus, of course, the club wasn't even in H&F originally, anyway!

One of our claims to faim is the nomadic existence we had in the early years, and every ground we've held up until LR has been in border country so to speak.

My girlfriend lives just across the road from Harvist Road, where we played in the early years. That's in Brent. It's a 5 minute walk from Queen's Park library, which is in the City of Westminster. If you want to go to the local Sainsbury's, which is a 10 minute walk, you end up in the Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

Sadly none of these areashavr the capacity for the R's to be re-housed, as we know, so I think we're all going to have to accept that it's most likely going to be somewhere in Ealing that we're likely to end up. I would imagine somewhere in the shadow of Heathrow, which would, I agree, be a little ironic, considering hoiw close to Chiswick Brentford's new ground is..
Loftus Road. on 15:33 - Jan 22 with 2052 viewsTK1

Loftus Road. on 14:37 - Jan 22 by DylanP

Yes

We absolutely cannot compete now. We are condemned to Championship mediocrity AT BEST. The other London teams are leaving us in the dust and it won't get better.

The people who complain about the owners are, frankly, idiots. These owners write checks int he millions every year to cover the losses. That isn't sustainable. Nobody, however rich, is going to keep writing those check indefinitely.

So what is the solution? 1. Luck into a great player (like Taraabt), have a couple of great season before they move on and then sink back into mid-Championship mediocrity. 2. Muddle on as we are hoping for a genie to stop by with three wishes.3. Do something proactive to make the club sustainable. I opt for number 3

"The people who complain about the owners are, frankly, idiots"

Interesting perspective. The current owners bought a newly promoted team, the champions, nearly debt free and about to embark on a first season in the Premier league for 15 years.

Nearly twelve years later we have been relegated twice and are are roughly where we were in 2007, and saddled with a world record fine for their FFP disaster in chasing promotion to boot (The training ground is a definite plus though). Loftus Road however is the club's only real asset. Why give that up to a Malaysian business consortium who've nearly bankrupted the club already and squandered not one but two promotions, and an American businessman who has not spoken once about QPR since joining the board, just so we *might* end up ten or 15 places higher up the pyramid?

As an aside, how would QPR leaving W12 personally affect you, Dylan? How many games do you get to?
Loftus Road. on 15:50 - Jan 22 with 2005 viewsTK1

I would be amazed if soon after the lovely new training ground is completed the club don't suddenly stumble upon a perfect site for a new ground nearby, perhaps near Hatton Cross tube or between there and Heathrow. I'd also be amazed if that wasn't the plan for several years and that that is why they keep servicing the (their) debt.

And then, ironically, QPR will be the bus stop in Hounslow. It should be resisted at all costs because it would be the end of QPR. I don't understand how people can talk about this in the abstract. Car Giant site, HS2, Linford Christie are locations I can understand (and that HS2 site would be outside H+F) as they are a short hop from the historical base camp, but just saying, yeah, Heathrow would be good. What?! It's crazy talk. It's Chris Wright talk. It's a different club.
Loftus Road. on 16:01 - Jan 22 with 1988 viewsHAYESBOY

Yes, within reason.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Loftus Road. on 16:20 - Jan 22 with 1954 viewsdmm

Loftus Road. on 15:50 - Jan 22 by TK1

I would be amazed if soon after the lovely new training ground is completed the club don't suddenly stumble upon a perfect site for a new ground nearby, perhaps near Hatton Cross tube or between there and Heathrow. I'd also be amazed if that wasn't the plan for several years and that that is why they keep servicing the (their) debt.

And then, ironically, QPR will be the bus stop in Hounslow. It should be resisted at all costs because it would be the end of QPR. I don't understand how people can talk about this in the abstract. Car Giant site, HS2, Linford Christie are locations I can understand (and that HS2 site would be outside H+F) as they are a short hop from the historical base camp, but just saying, yeah, Heathrow would be good. What?! It's crazy talk. It's Chris Wright talk. It's a different club.

To move to that dire and dreary area would be utterly awful and feel like the heart had been ripped out of our club. I sincerely hope you're totally wrong.
Loftus Road. on 16:30 - Jan 22 with 1933 viewsTGRRRSSS

Prefer to stay within H&F I am sure it can be done, wouldnt be surprised if we end up somewhere nearby.

Spurs and Arsenal have managed it and looks liek Chelsea are going to be able to rebuild STF .

I agree vision and determination is needed, sham Mittal isn't really interested because he's the one who could make things happen
Loftus Road. on 16:52 - Jan 22 with 1905 viewsToast_R

Loftus Road. on 13:55 - Jan 22 by Nov77

Or, more likely, we will lose a lot of the support that we currently have.

Bumping between League One and The Championship which is where I fear our current means will eventually put us, will almost certainly do that by its own accord.

I dont particularly enjoy Shepherds Bush these days, most the decent pubs have gone and the ones that are left are too bloody busy on a match day to enjoy.
Loftus Road. on 16:58 - Jan 22 with 1887 viewsHuckerMOTM

Absolutely no.

The real QPR died about around a decade ago and the familiarity of Loftus Road and the routines around match day are the only reason I still go.

Take that away and this tribute act masquerading as 'QPR' loses the small appeal it has.
Loftus Road. on 17:06 - Jan 22 with 1859 viewsPinnerPaul

I think the very articulate views on here show that's it not an easy decision and that any actual course of action or indeed inaction isn't easy.

Yes or no? you say......No idea!
Loftus Road. on 17:10 - Jan 22 with 1846 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Loftus Road. on 17:06 - Jan 22 by PinnerPaul

I think the very articulate views on here show that's it not an easy decision and that any actual course of action or indeed inaction isn't easy.

Yes or no? you say......No idea!

Same as that.
I don't have enough actual information to decide.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Loftus Road. on 17:29 - Jan 22 with 1807 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

YES

The only hope to stop long term decline.
The likes of Bournemouth and Brentford will be back where they belong in Division One soon enough.
Loftus Road. on 17:34 - Jan 22 with 1793 viewsNorthantsHoop

Yes the club needs to move, re-generation of the current site looks impossible and not even sure if Hammersmith and Fulham are supportive of QPR and the quest for a new ground. We are lagging behind all other London clubs with our ground, even going down to League 2, sure they have all had a revamp or new stadium in last 25 years, our last major revamp was over 40 years ago.
Loftus Road. on 17:36 - Jan 22 with 1787 viewsTGRRRSSS

Oh I don't know, Flavio put in those chandeliers a few years back...
Loftus Road. on 17:48 - Jan 22 with 1764 viewsQPR_Jim

Loftus Road. on 13:49 - Jan 22 by QPR_John

Yes. However living in Reading a new ground along the M4 would be little hardship for me so maybe my comments hold little wait compared to others. Whether it would or would not attracted new supporters is not the point it is the day by day income that is more relevant

Maybe a new ground in Windsor, really lean into the royal connection to our name.

Personally I wouldn't mind if we moved to a different borough but it needs to have good transport connection.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024