Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road. 10:21 - Jan 22 with 37225 viewsEsox_Lucius

IF, and it's a big if. the club were forced away from H&F to build a stadium which could provide income 360+ days a years to generate the revenue to make us competitive as a team again would you be for or against it. Yes or No will suffice, there's no need for comments like "knowing QPR they'd fück it up" etc. Just Yes or No.

The grass is always greener.

Loftus Road. on 18:11 - Jan 22 with 2699 viewsAndybrat

Yes, should have built it at Heston. Obviously couldn’t though.
Loftus Road. on 18:23 - Jan 22 with 2672 viewscolinallcars

Obviously no one wants us to be relegated, but it wouldn't stop me going to LR - no Sky TV, so Saturday 3pm, familiar surroundings, bump into plenty of people I know, sit with my chums, and ale down my neck by 5.15pm.
Loftus Road. on 18:24 - Jan 22 with 2671 viewsslmrstid

It would have to be a yes. Being a London club we are constrained by our own borough. As DWQPR referenced, a one-city/town club can move miles from one part of town to another but still feel the same club, because its within the city boundaries.

I know these suburb names will likely mean nothing to most on here, but referencing my own city, Leicester City are pretty much city centre - but they could, space allowing, pitch up in Aylestone in the south, Beaumont Leys in the west, Stoneygate in the east, or Hamilton in the north, all miles away from each other but it would still very much be Leicester City.

Not so easy for QPR in West London to do.

In many ways it feels an impossible question/solution. But if we could do it where we enjoyed some of the same travel access we currently do, it would have to be a yes.

But working in the sector I do and seeing the money that gets piled into London - I find it impossible to think how QPR could compete in any land transaction.
Loftus Road. on 18:44 - Jan 22 with 2627 viewsWhip_It

I'd be against for all the reasons already mentioned. The only modern relocate & upgrade that seems to have worked is Brighton, and I don't like the stadium that much, but it's still very obviously in Brighton. Some real thought has gone into moving people into and out of the stadium on match days, and the whole package is not too shabby.

It's time for our owners to end this interminable limbo - what is really damaging is the stasis we're in now. There seems to be no vision, no drive for a solution, and instead we are waiting on the Council who seem to be extremely wary of our owners. It seems highly unlikely that the club and the Council will get together and make something happen, but this is what should be happening.
Loftus Road. on 18:52 - Jan 22 with 2608 viewscolinallcars

Loftus Road. on 18:44 - Jan 22 by Whip_It

I'd be against for all the reasons already mentioned. The only modern relocate & upgrade that seems to have worked is Brighton, and I don't like the stadium that much, but it's still very obviously in Brighton. Some real thought has gone into moving people into and out of the stadium on match days, and the whole package is not too shabby.

It's time for our owners to end this interminable limbo - what is really damaging is the stasis we're in now. There seems to be no vision, no drive for a solution, and instead we are waiting on the Council who seem to be extremely wary of our owners. It seems highly unlikely that the club and the Council will get together and make something happen, but this is what should be happening.

Yes, I think H&F council are our only hope, and they may well be distrustful of our owners, perhaps for reasons we are unaware of.
I have great admiration for our fans that travel long distances to see our games and then set off home straight after the game.
If it's a real crap performance, us locals can ameliorate things with a quiet pint followed by lots of noisy ones.
To be honest I would have moved out of Hammersmith years ago but the Rangers kept me here.
Loftus Road. on 18:56 - Jan 22 with 2594 viewsPhildo

A reluctant yes from me
Loftus Road. on 19:28 - Jan 22 with 2550 viewsderbyhoop

Yes;

I hear the arguments about staying in the area but the ground is cramped, uncomfortable, close to being unsafe and it is only usable on less than 30 occasions in a season.
Fans deserve a better march day experience and the club need a place where they can bring in commercial revenue on non match days. The crowds would come if the match day experience was better and there is a modicum of success:

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Loftus Road. on 19:59 - Jan 22 with 2501 viewsmart_Goblin

Uncomfortable and unsure yes.
Loved LR with all my heart since my dad got me a season ticket when I was 18 months old, 46 years ago. That walk to the stadium still gives me goosebumps.

But it’s almost in disrepair, it’s beyond uncomfortable and even in the most expensive seats in the ground you can’t see the whole pitch .

I remember the ‘keep us in W12’ group and I supported them completely. But apart from the die hards it’s an uncomfortable experience and people don’t go because of it
Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road. on 21:29 - Jan 22 with 2362 viewsDWQPR

Loftus Road. on 13:49 - Jan 22 by TK1

"More sustainable and competitive" like Bolton, Derby, Reading, Coventry with their new grounds away from their original base?
Or unsustainable and uncompetitive like Fulham, Bournemouth?

It's a massive red herring, an excuse. If Fulham can redevelop a ground set on the river, with a listed building, hemmed in by some of London's most expensive terraced housing, QPR can. Success is all about ownership and its vision, not building a new ground five miles away near a retail park. QPR has had not any leadership with vision since about 1980 when the new stands were built. None of the subsequent boards could or should be trusted with selling LR and moving the club out of the area. Certainly not this one.

Sorry but Fulham did redevelop both ends of the ground which both hold in excess of 7,000 in the late 90’s. Both ends have a far greater footprint than either LR end of the School End. The Riverside stand again has a far greater footprint than the SAR and they didn’t have to worry about impinging on the light with neighbours. Bournemouth have redeveloped their ground and make use of it away from match days and they are also considering moving ground.

Yep, new grounds don’t guarantee success, never said that but it will give Rangers a much better chance of success or more to the point longer term survival.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Loftus Road. on 21:32 - Jan 22 with 2356 viewsloftboy

Controversial but why don’t we do ground shares in this country (apart from temporary ones)
4 grounds within a few miles of each other, doesn’t really make sense does it.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Loftus Road. on 22:01 - Jan 22 with 2294 viewscolinallcars

Loftus Road. on 21:32 - Jan 22 by loftboy

Controversial but why don’t we do ground shares in this country (apart from temporary ones)
4 grounds within a few miles of each other, doesn’t really make sense does it.

Wouldn't want to groundshare with Chelsea……I mean, all the cost of fumigating your clothes afterwards….
Loftus Road. on 22:16 - Jan 22 with 2271 viewsHanwellHoop

Yes. Around Hanwell way would be grand. Good transport links now due to the Lizzie line, decent pubs around and nearby and loads of R’s. Would also wind up the Brentford lot being so close.

edit, and still west London, proper.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 22:20]
Loftus Road. on 22:40 - Jan 22 with 2204 viewscolinallcars

Yep, Hanwell has the pubs and other less vital infrastructure, bit highly unlikely…..you'll have to keep on plodding to LR with your dodgy knee mate.
Loftus Road. on 00:12 - Jan 23 with 2107 viewslightwaterhoop

No
Loftus Road. on 10:05 - Jan 23 with 1887 viewswombat

Loftus Road. on 00:12 - Jan 23 by lightwaterhoop

No

yes , we dont have a choice , club tried the cheap route with car giant , failed miserably,
had 3 fantastic peices of land on its door step didnt go for any of them , one which we would prob be already playing in at dairy crsst behind the white city station .

they wanted a mutl use stadium , concerts boxing fantasitc transport links you name it , wasnt prepared to stump up the cash for any of them , great thye pay the bills each month but the ship has sialed to be able to stay anywhere close to W!2 now , LC wont happen and if by miracle it di wont be for ten more years before a holes is dug

stay where we are and drop down a league is or only option or move to some where else

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Loftus Road. on 11:06 - Jan 23 with 1837 viewsHuckerMOTM

Loftus Road. on 10:05 - Jan 23 by wombat

yes , we dont have a choice , club tried the cheap route with car giant , failed miserably,
had 3 fantastic peices of land on its door step didnt go for any of them , one which we would prob be already playing in at dairy crsst behind the white city station .

they wanted a mutl use stadium , concerts boxing fantasitc transport links you name it , wasnt prepared to stump up the cash for any of them , great thye pay the bills each month but the ship has sialed to be able to stay anywhere close to W!2 now , LC wont happen and if by miracle it di wont be for ten more years before a holes is dug

stay where we are and drop down a league is or only option or move to some where else

"QPR" the business may not have a choice, but you couldn't be further from the truth if you think fans don't

For many of us QPR is something we do out of habit and normally for social reasons. It's not something on par with a substitute religion and many, myself included, don't really care if we win or lose if the social activities around a home fixture go as we hope.

It's stretching the imagination to think that the entity who call themselves "Queens Park Rangers" are the same club many of us fell in love with so Loftus Road is vital to our attendance. I'm not alone in knowing for certain that a club calling themselves "Queens Park Rangers" playing outside of Loftus Road - unless literally on the doorstep - will never have my support.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 11:07]
Loftus Road. on 12:18 - Jan 23 with 1761 viewsDWQPR

Loftus Road. on 11:06 - Jan 23 by HuckerMOTM

"QPR" the business may not have a choice, but you couldn't be further from the truth if you think fans don't

For many of us QPR is something we do out of habit and normally for social reasons. It's not something on par with a substitute religion and many, myself included, don't really care if we win or lose if the social activities around a home fixture go as we hope.

It's stretching the imagination to think that the entity who call themselves "Queens Park Rangers" are the same club many of us fell in love with so Loftus Road is vital to our attendance. I'm not alone in knowing for certain that a club calling themselves "Queens Park Rangers" playing outside of Loftus Road - unless literally on the doorstep - will never have my support.

Unfortunately for you QPR ‘the business’, has to survive for you to continue to maintain your social enjoyment on a Saturday afternoon. And as it stands with FFP and the limited capabilities of LR the club is more and more being pushed into a corner whereby the only escape hatch is down. We have owners who would like to spend the money to achieve promotion but cannot by the rules and we have owners who are willing to invest in the infrastructure to help secure the long term survival of the club, but LR and the immediate surrounding areas just does not provide for their plans. Rebuilding on the current site as has already been explained would mean a much reduced capacity due to building regulations about space requirements. One day you just may not have a choice if the club doesn’t move.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Loftus Road. on 12:22 - Jan 23 with 1743 viewsloftus77

Yes, very sadly.

Former RAF Uxbridge site - was this ever discussed?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 12:23]
Loftus Road. on 12:27 - Jan 23 with 1731 viewshook_hoops

It's a reluctant "yes" from me.

I love Loftus Rd. I've been coming here regularly for the last 59 years and, like others have said, it's like a second home to me. Many, many happy memories, even in the unsuccessful seasons which, let's face it, are the majority! But I look around now and I see a ground in decay, potentially unsafe, downright uncomfortable, and a disillusioned fanbase that has seen its local rivals thrive and overtake us. The whole club needs a reboot. The new training ground has been a fantastic start in this process but we desperately need a new stadium to have any chance of competing in the modern football world. I know a few on here have said if we move away from Loftus Rd they would be done with supporting the club, but I don't think we will attract new supporters by staying where we are.

I don't know why we seem to have fallen out with H & F council but we need to do everything in our power to mend bridges and get the Linford Christie project going. There doesn't seem to be any other local alternative. Ealing and Brent would be good possibilities but an industrial estate in Slough, not for me!
Loftus Road. on 12:28 - Jan 23 with 1721 viewsHuckerMOTM

Loftus Road. on 12:18 - Jan 23 by DWQPR

Unfortunately for you QPR ‘the business’, has to survive for you to continue to maintain your social enjoyment on a Saturday afternoon. And as it stands with FFP and the limited capabilities of LR the club is more and more being pushed into a corner whereby the only escape hatch is down. We have owners who would like to spend the money to achieve promotion but cannot by the rules and we have owners who are willing to invest in the infrastructure to help secure the long term survival of the club, but LR and the immediate surrounding areas just does not provide for their plans. Rebuilding on the current site as has already been explained would mean a much reduced capacity due to building regulations about space requirements. One day you just may not have a choice if the club doesn’t move.

You do make some good points and I honestly do see why the club will move eventually.

My point is that I would rather watch us in the National League playing at Loftus Road than in the Premier League in a different area.
Loftus Road. on 12:42 - Jan 23 with 1681 viewsBAWHoops

Loftus Road. on 11:06 - Jan 23 by HuckerMOTM

The current set up simply isn't going to attract enough of the next generation of fans though.

It's deeply unimpressive

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Loftus Road. on 12:43 - Jan 23 with 1678 viewsNorthernr

One of the many issues you've got atm is the relations with the council over this have just completely broken down. There's no real ongoing dialogue, no real joint will to make this work. I get the impression there's now a mutual dislike on both sides and that's not going to change without a change in leadership at one, the other or both.

The council aren't even entertaining the idea of us at LCS, and keep making mention of pie in the sky stuff like making it a concert venue or whatever. The friends of Woormwood Scrubs are clearly already entrenched in "anything but a football ground" to the point where they moan about "thousands of people traipsing across the Scrubs" to get to it while at the same time pitching for Secret Cinema events that will bring thousands and thousands of people, every night, onto the Scrubs itself. Both cutting off their nose to spite their face because the LCS is a rundown dump that they can't afford to do anything with.

QPR meanwhile continue to just think being the local football club entitles them to bits of land, some of it public owned, for free. Pretty obvious they'd want to develop the Loftus Road site for property, and when Jamie Ruben and people like that get involved you look at the whole south side of SAR right the way up to the White City tube station and think that's a huge development possibility there - you can see why the council think it's a foreign property development stitch up through the back door, though I don't think it reflects well on them that they mention our owners being foreign in statements as often as they do, and I didn't see much concern about that (nor an insistence on public/fan ownership like they keep doing whenever a QPR questions comes up) when they were letting Westfield plant the fcking death star on top of Shepherd's Bush.

There's no real resolve to do anything about it on either side. I think a new stadium at LCS, with new facilities for the park, a new athletics track next door, a good amount of social housing on Loftus Road, would be the best scenario for everybody, but they've all put each others' backs up so much it's not even a discussion.

Personally I'm dreading them ever leaving LR. I know the limitations, and the business case, and I do get it, but I agree with HuckerMOTM above, it would never be the same again to the point of I'm not convinced I'd actually bother any more. That's another problem in itself because clubs like Brighton got their new builds through years and years of political pressure, fan campaigns, fans getting elected to local councils and stuff. We should be lobbying politicians, standing candidates ourselves, getting people onto the Friends of the Scrubs board and certainly attending their meetings. But there isn't that surge of support here, because I think a lot of people feel this way.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Loftus Road. on 12:46 - Jan 23 with 1671 viewsJuzzie

Loftus Road. on 12:28 - Jan 23 by HuckerMOTM

You do make some good points and I honestly do see why the club will move eventually.

My point is that I would rather watch us in the National League playing at Loftus Road than in the Premier League in a different area.

There are plenty of people who want promotion, it's a 'results business' after all, it seems.

I'm sure the owners want promotion too as they are pumping in £millions every month.
Staying at LR doesn't assist that desire.

I would like us to stay at LR and I want us to be in the PL (not just vying for 17th each year either) but all the permutations don't fit and top, top players probably would rather not play at LR either (didn't Barca think LR was a training stadium, or similar, when they trained there a few years ago prior to a game in SW6 (not by the river))

Stay at LR and stagnate or diminish, move and at least try and flourish.

So, it's a Yes for me in terms of moving but that is held with a caveat of staying as close as possible, not moving out to the middle of nowhere and being schit to get to.

The Dairy Crest site was never going to happen because it was too much of a lucrative development for residential property which was always going to win over a footie stadium however much it may be used for events more than 23 times a year and hospitality functions on non-event days.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 12:57]
Loftus Road. on 13:26 - Jan 23 with 1572 viewsNov77

Loftus Road. on 12:46 - Jan 23 by Juzzie

There are plenty of people who want promotion, it's a 'results business' after all, it seems.

I'm sure the owners want promotion too as they are pumping in £millions every month.
Staying at LR doesn't assist that desire.

I would like us to stay at LR and I want us to be in the PL (not just vying for 17th each year either) but all the permutations don't fit and top, top players probably would rather not play at LR either (didn't Barca think LR was a training stadium, or similar, when they trained there a few years ago prior to a game in SW6 (not by the river))

Stay at LR and stagnate or diminish, move and at least try and flourish.

So, it's a Yes for me in terms of moving but that is held with a caveat of staying as close as possible, not moving out to the middle of nowhere and being schit to get to.

The Dairy Crest site was never going to happen because it was too much of a lucrative development for residential property which was always going to win over a footie stadium however much it may be used for events more than 23 times a year and hospitality functions on non-event days.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 12:57]

Why do you think staying means stagnating and diminishing while moving means flourishing?
What evidence is there?
Didn’t we get promoted twice to the premier league recently in this very stadium?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Loftus Road. on 13:31 - Jan 23 with 1562 viewsNorthantsHoop

The quote from Abraham Lincoln "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time” sums up why we just go round in circles with the new ground debate. If so many conditions are attached to staying or going out of the borough on all sides nothing will change. For me moving west or north west staying within a London Borough is acceptable. We need to encourage new supporters and a match day experience in more modern surroundings, continually harping back to the past is not the way forward. I love Loftus Road but it does not fit the product that is modern football and all the extra requirements at the top levels of the game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024