Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coronation 09:12 - May 6 with 16701 viewsSonofpugwash

The attendance anticipated to be so low they considered paying Just Stop Oil activists to show up.

Enjoy your broadbean flan.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Coronation on 12:00 - May 6 with 2604 viewsDiscodroids

THe 'Royal company of Girdlers' called into action for the first time in 70 years.
[Post edited 6 May 2023 12:01]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Coronation on 12:08 - May 6 with 2558 viewsGloryHunter

Coronation on 10:25 - May 6 by Sonofpugwash

It's become too Disneyesque/Hollywoodesque.A giant baby carried around Dear Old London in a golden coach and thence to a castle.
Mind you the tourists lap it all up and swell the Treasury coffers with their free spending.

Part of the myth is that the Royal Family earns the country more in tourist income than it costs in taxpayer funding. This is not true.
Coronation on 12:15 - May 6 with 2519 viewsDiscodroids

chas being asked to live longer than forever, or tony blackburn, whichever is the longer.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Coronation on 12:22 - May 6 with 2473 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Like balancing a book on your head wearing those crowns.
Coronation on 12:22 - May 6 with 2453 viewsW12Mikey

Coronation on 12:08 - May 6 by GloryHunter

Part of the myth is that the Royal Family earns the country more in tourist income than it costs in taxpayer funding. This is not true.

If you’re going to say a widely held view is a myth I think you need to provide facts, figures and sources.
Coronation on 12:22 - May 6 with 2468 viewsMedwayR

So far, the UK taxpayer has missed out on approx. £200m because Charles didn't have to pay inheritance tax, and also paid for his coronation at a cost of over £100m. Is he worth £300m+ of taxpayers money at a time when we allegedly don't have the funds to pay a fair wage to nurses and teachers? I'd say not. Yes this coronation will bring money in, but so would something like properly celebrating St George's day which would be an example of a much better alternative for a national celebration.

As someone said earlier, this isn't a Disney fairy tale. This is real life. A 74 year old man with a personal wealth of over £1.8bn is getting the tax payer to pay for his party so he can play dress up, get carted around in a fancy gold chariot, sit in a big chair and have a fancy hat put on his head. It's a pathetic embarrassment.

We supposedly live in a country that values equality, yet we have a family that play by an entirely different set of rules. That makes a mockery of us all.

This family, put on a pedestal by many, includes and has included Charles (the classy guy who wants to be Camilla's tampon and took bags of cash "for his charity" from the Saudis and Bin Ladens), Andrew (nonce), Philip (every 'ist' and 'ism' going), and Edward (literal nazi). What an upstanding family they are.

An elected head of state is long overdue.

Poll: Who’s better?

Coronation on 12:25 - May 6 with 2459 viewsRangersDave

anyone here who wants to see the flypast assemble etc, currently 5 aircraft airbourne on the following site....

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

pinch the screen to zoom in, then press the white letter 'U' at the top and the sustem will filter out all the civilian stuff leaving just the Military out of Brize and over the wash at the moment.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Coronation on 12:28 - May 6 with 2438 viewsaston_hoop

Is Vera Duckworth still in it?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

Coronation on 12:34 - May 6 with 2390 viewsQPRSteve

Some democracy we live in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65507435
Coronation on 12:41 - May 6 with 2367 viewsted_hendrix

It's all just passing me by, It's all so strange and alien to me the world gets madder and madder as each day passes.

Either that or I get madder and madder as each day passes.

Difficult to understand I can't understand how one human being has to bow and curtsy before another human being.

Not for me thanks, not for me.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Coronation on 12:42 - May 6 with 2366 viewsGloryHunter

Coronation on 12:22 - May 6 by W12Mikey

If you’re going to say a widely held view is a myth I think you need to provide facts, figures and sources.

Fair enough. It's a complex issue, made more complicated by the fact that the Royal Family does its best to keep its finances secret. Norman Baker had a good stab at it in his excellent book, "And What do You do?" Even he was unable to get all the figures, despite the fact that he was a Government Minister.

For a simpler rule-of-thumb analysis, see this Indy piece from the time of Harry & Meghan's wedding: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/royal-wedding-

And The Guardian has recently done a more in-depth analysis, summarised here: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/07/british-royal-family-wealth-fina
Coronation on 12:51 - May 6 with 2298 viewswesty

I don’t agree. Do you have any facts to back this up
Coronation on 12:53 - May 6 with 2285 viewswesty

Coronation on 12:51 - May 6 by westy

I don’t agree. Do you have any facts to back this up

Tbh I don’t think any of us know the true costs or income
Coronation on 13:01 - May 6 with 2229 viewsHantsR

Probably the wrong thread, but I'm quite taken with Penny Mordaunt and her sword. Father I have sinned.
Coronation on 13:07 - May 6 with 2183 viewsSuperhoops2808

Coronation on 12:42 - May 6 by GloryHunter

Fair enough. It's a complex issue, made more complicated by the fact that the Royal Family does its best to keep its finances secret. Norman Baker had a good stab at it in his excellent book, "And What do You do?" Even he was unable to get all the figures, despite the fact that he was a Government Minister.

For a simpler rule-of-thumb analysis, see this Indy piece from the time of Harry & Meghan's wedding: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/royal-wedding-

And The Guardian has recently done a more in-depth analysis, summarised here: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/07/british-royal-family-wealth-fina

Ah well The Guardian and Independent did it... So it must be right

Having been a chauffeur back in the 90's as soon as a foreign family was driven into London they always said that was the first thing they wanted to do was visit Buckingham Palace and see things like the changing of the guard.

Its not just about what they actually do, its what they bring to the country and people rely on that for jobs etc
Coronation on 13:08 - May 6 with 2173 viewsRs_Holy

Coronation on 13:01 - May 6 by HantsR

Probably the wrong thread, but I'm quite taken with Penny Mordaunt and her sword. Father I have sinned.

not the only one Hants ...
Coronation on 13:08 - May 6 with 2170 viewsslmrstid

I came back from a week in Cyprus (with very little internet thank goodness) at 2.30am this morning. We have it on whilst half asleep here because it is history.

But dear lord that church service dragged on. It needed Homer Simpson at the back crying "booorrrinnnngggg".

He looks old does Charles. I can't imagine it will be that long 'til we're doing this all over again. Dare I say it, the Queens' funeral was more interesting. Maybe this parade will be more interesting.
Coronation on 13:12 - May 6 with 2148 viewsBklynRanger

Was thinking the same thing - she can polish my orb any time.
Coronation on 13:14 - May 6 with 2140 viewsSuperhoops2808

Coronation on 13:08 - May 6 by Rs_Holy

not the only one Hants ...

One here too

I would have had no issue with her being PM - Very easy on the eye, but compared with Truss I guess thats not too difficult
Coronation on 13:23 - May 6 with 2088 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Totally unphased by a large shaft in front of her for a couple of hours.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Coronation on 13:40 - May 6 with 2024 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Coronation on 12:41 - May 6 by ted_hendrix

It's all just passing me by, It's all so strange and alien to me the world gets madder and madder as each day passes.

Either that or I get madder and madder as each day passes.

Difficult to understand I can't understand how one human being has to bow and curtsy before another human being.

Not for me thanks, not for me.

You dont bow or courtesy to the person, it is to the crown, not the person wearing it.
Coronation on 13:40 - May 6 with 2017 viewsdenhamhoop2

Coronation on 13:07 - May 6 by Superhoops2808

Ah well The Guardian and Independent did it... So it must be right

Having been a chauffeur back in the 90's as soon as a foreign family was driven into London they always said that was the first thing they wanted to do was visit Buckingham Palace and see things like the changing of the guard.

Its not just about what they actually do, its what they bring to the country and people rely on that for jobs etc

Do you actually need a King and the Monarchy to have the Pomp and Circumstance would imagine if you asked anyone visiting Washington DC the remarks would be the same about the White House and Lincolns Memorial and fairly certain they don't have a Monarchy
Coronation on 13:47 - May 6 with 1972 viewscolinallcars

It was a preasure and pliviledge to watch it.
Coronation on 14:16 - May 6 with 1877 viewsMatch82

Coronation on 13:40 - May 6 by Wilkinswatercarrier

You dont bow or courtesy to the person, it is to the crown, not the person wearing it.

I'm relatively ambivalent on the monarchy topic in general, but that's actually weirder isn't it? People are literally worshipping stolen goods?
Coronation on 14:24 - May 6 with 2172 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Coronation on 14:16 - May 6 by Match82

I'm relatively ambivalent on the monarchy topic in general, but that's actually weirder isn't it? People are literally worshipping stolen goods?

Not literally the crown, but the constitutional monarchy. Crowns etc are just physical representations of it.

What struck me today was how gawdy the colours were in Westminster Abbey. It looked like a late 1930s Errol Flynn film, I kept expecting him to swing down on a curtain. All show, and that has been going for 1000 years, the full Hollywood show, before Hollywood existed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024