Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Smyth...... 10:36 - Jun 22 with 42647 viewsDoudou87

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/ainsworth-interested-in-bringing-back-former

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

Paul Smyth...... on 13:11 - Jun 22 with 3624 viewshubble

Paul Smyth...... on 13:02 - Jun 22 by peterlund_dk

I thought for a moment you wanted to replace Olamide Oluwatimilehin Babatunde Oluwaka Shodipo with The first Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, Konrad Hermann Joseph Adenauer.

If he Adenauer, he would do.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Paul Smyth...... on 13:19 - Jun 22 with 3555 viewsRangersw12

Smyth one side and Armstrong the other in a 433 gives us a lot of pace which is something we've lacked for years
Paul Smyth...... on 13:23 - Jun 22 with 3518 viewswesty

Paul Smyth...... on 12:34 - Jun 22 by Northernr

Again, Shodipo doing reasonably well must have been one of those games last season I went to the wrong match by accident.

Shodipo has had one reasonable season in his life, at Oxford, and when offered the chance to have him back the following season they declined. Possibly because he turned up so late so often he’d run up the debt of a third world country in fines.

Anyway, like I say, suspect Shodipo was on 6ish a week, and Smyth will be on more like 4k, and that’s where we are.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I find those calculations hard to believe. That’s serious money, Shodipo’s wages would be split atm anyway and no way is Smyth on £4k a week at Orient.
He’d be fortunate to be on half of that.
Paul Smyth...... on 13:23 - Jun 22 with 3518 viewsBrazilNutR

First thoughts were negative.. but I am warming to the idea. Think of all the players that clubs have let go and then have blossomed... I am thinking Kevin De-Bruyne.. Chelscum let him go as he wasn't good enough for them.. players move away and improve, grow, so given we are not buying him back for a fortune after letting him go for nothing, it seems like a fairly shrewd signing. As with all signings it could not work out.. but has advantages, he knows the club, knows the manager (and manager knows him). Get him in... sell him for 20 million next season.
Paul Smyth...... on 13:26 - Jun 22 with 3497 viewsNorthernr

Paul Smyth...... on 13:23 - Jun 22 by westy

I find those calculations hard to believe. That’s serious money, Shodipo’s wages would be split atm anyway and no way is Smyth on £4k a week at Orient.
He’d be fortunate to be on half of that.

Signing here on that.

I think we'd all be surprised and alarmed at where football wages are even at our level. QPR's wage bill for the entire club is creeping up towards 28m a year as per the last accounts. If you divide that by the 191 staff we've got, which is 136 'football staff/players' and then includes the people who work in the box office and the club shop, then the average, THE AVERAGE, individual salary is about £146k a year or £2.8k per week.

Anyway, I was just trying to illustrate the point with some loose figures, not get bogged down in specifics.

Paul Smyth...... on 13:33 - Jun 22 with 3399 viewspaulparker

Paul Smyth...... on 11:08 - Jun 22 by Hunterhoop

I like this signing. With what we have to play with, this is exactly the signing we should make. He has done very well with Orient. They think he is one of their best players. Signing teams’ best players from leagues below us IS the QPR way, and it has to be given our budget.

More specifically, the lad has pace. We lack pace. He works hard and is a fighter. We need that too.

Sign him, move on.

Totally agree

Never given a chance under Warburton

He is quick and doesn’t mind grafting or putting in a tackle

Welcome home Paul

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Paul Smyth...... on 13:36 - Jun 22 with 3366 viewsMonkey_Roots

I've noticed he likes a cartwheel and backflip as his goal celebration... bit worried about him injuring himself.

Scored some lovely goals though.
Paul Smyth...... on 13:50 - Jun 22 with 3275 viewswombat

Paul Smyth...... on 13:36 - Jun 22 by Monkey_Roots

I've noticed he likes a cartwheel and backflip as his goal celebration... bit worried about him injuring himself.

Scored some lovely goals though.

hes cheap has something to prove , and with him and sinclair armstrong up front thats some serious pace , prob not many goals but thats a quick front line by anyones standards

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Smyth...... on 14:01 - Jun 22 with 3183 viewsstevec

There must be a full squad of ex QPR players out there we could sign on the cheap.
Paul Smyth...... on 14:09 - Jun 22 with 3138 viewsBklynRanger

Pleasantly surprised to see my country-chap back. We can't know what goes on in training but he clearly wasn't a Warburton player. By all accounts he is an Ainaworth player though, so there's some logic to this.

Hopefully he and Armstrong can develop together at this level - they'll show a similar level pace and determination at least, and a be an almost comically exaggerated big 'un little' un physical combo.
Paul Smyth...... on 14:21 - Jun 22 with 3045 viewsstrikerace

If this is caliber of player we are targeting, then this is going to be a long season. Seriously I would much rather have Bonne.
Paul Smyth...... on 14:23 - Jun 22 with 3030 viewsfrancisbowles

I always thought he struggled with the physicality of the Championship.

However, he is now 25, three years on from when he last played for us and he has played a lot more games. He should be hungry, a successful season behind him and another chance to prove himself at this level.

Definitely worth taking a chance on.

Shodipo had chances and never shone. He may have scored a few more goals but I don't think he has really played well. Smyth has shown that he can play well and is the better bet.
Paul Smyth...... on 14:35 - Jun 22 with 2965 viewsslmrstid

Paul Smyth...... on 14:23 - Jun 22 by francisbowles

I always thought he struggled with the physicality of the Championship.

However, he is now 25, three years on from when he last played for us and he has played a lot more games. He should be hungry, a successful season behind him and another chance to prove himself at this level.

Definitely worth taking a chance on.

Shodipo had chances and never shone. He may have scored a few more goals but I don't think he has really played well. Smyth has shown that he can play well and is the better bet.

Away from me being staggered about salary costs, I thought when he burst onto the scene he had loads of potential. There wasn't just his debut goal against Cardiff, he scored a really good one from the edge of the box against Sheffield Wednesday with the outside of his foot.

He was then another young QPR player absolutely destroyed by McLaren who gave him about 45 minutes then dumped him. Never had much of a chance under Warburton. Was he better than the players we had in similar positions at that time? Maybe not, but I also felt Scowen was done harshly by Warburton as well as he was more than competent at this level last time he was here. I liked Dom Ball but I would put Ball and Scowen at similar levels. And Josh was definitely better than Tom Carroll who was absolute garbage in that lockdown season and in my view part of the reason we were in the bottom 3 in the first half of the season, once he was replaced with SJ and Field we were much, much better.
Paul Smyth...... on 14:58 - Jun 22 with 2854 viewsdenhamhoop2

Paul Smyth...... on 13:26 - Jun 22 by Northernr

Signing here on that.

I think we'd all be surprised and alarmed at where football wages are even at our level. QPR's wage bill for the entire club is creeping up towards 28m a year as per the last accounts. If you divide that by the 191 staff we've got, which is 136 'football staff/players' and then includes the people who work in the box office and the club shop, then the average, THE AVERAGE, individual salary is about £146k a year or £2.8k per week.

Anyway, I was just trying to illustrate the point with some loose figures, not get bogged down in specifics.

I would imagine the large majority of the 55 Admin/Club shop/Box Office staff are on roughly 30k a year so about £600 a week for say 45 of them I would guess Lee Hoos is on considerably more as was Sir Les so take that out and the actual wages for the Playing and Coaching Staff would be frightening. The only professional footballers wage I have ever known was Mark Kennedy when he was ostensibly third choice left back at Crystal Palace in 2008 and he was on 6K a week basic not including bonuses. The average wage for a Premiership footballer is currently 72k a week so would imagine most Championship footballers would be around the 10 k mark at least
Paul Smyth...... on 15:06 - Jun 22 with 2794 viewsmonners1969

Paul Smyth...... on 11:32 - Jun 22 by Northernr

Shodipo probably on more money than Smyth will be on if he signs.

And there's no growth in Shodipo. He is what he is. Shown absolutely zero sign of any progress beyond that. Smyth does, potentially, have something there. Just about. Perhaps.

Was he on a lot more? Thought he was one of our less expensive players? also renewing a contract probably cheaper than signing on fee from an inbound player?

I quite liked Smyth - decent pace, I still maintain Mide would have developed further given decent runs - but thats all history now!

Wonder if we keep dykes whether he 'll play more centrally off him...
Paul Smyth...... on 15:27 - Jun 22 with 2645 viewsdaveB

Paul Smyth...... on 13:33 - Jun 22 by paulparker

Totally agree

Never given a chance under Warburton

He is quick and doesn’t mind grafting or putting in a tackle

Welcome home Paul

He's more suited to an Ainsworth style, was not a great passer of the ball more a direct runner a bit like Ainsworth himself so never really fit into Warbs 2 number 10's style
Paul Smyth...... on 15:30 - Jun 22 with 2596 viewsSheffieldHoop

I find the idea of Shodipo on 6k a week pretty wild, but I guess it is comparatively good value vs what we were paying Tyler Robers. Presumably we recouped a fair bit of that on his loans, otherwise why did they keep renewing him? Definitely seems an odd one.

By the sound of it, Smyth will barely be able to afford Tyler Roberts' silk bedsheets. IMO that is a good thing, and we're moving in the correct direction.

Always liked Smyth, proper little player, nippy, always committed, and clearly loved playing for us. Pleased to have him back here.

Only other thing I would add is, Schteeeve McLaren is a cnt.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Paul Smyth...... on 15:42 - Jun 22 with 2548 viewsNorthernr

Paul Smyth...... on 15:30 - Jun 22 by SheffieldHoop

I find the idea of Shodipo on 6k a week pretty wild, but I guess it is comparatively good value vs what we were paying Tyler Robers. Presumably we recouped a fair bit of that on his loans, otherwise why did they keep renewing him? Definitely seems an odd one.

By the sound of it, Smyth will barely be able to afford Tyler Roberts' silk bedsheets. IMO that is a good thing, and we're moving in the correct direction.

Always liked Smyth, proper little player, nippy, always committed, and clearly loved playing for us. Pleased to have him back here.

Only other thing I would add is, Schteeeve McLaren is a cnt.

I'm going to get hung with this 6k thing aren't I?

Might have slightly over-egged it, not based on any specific thing I've been told, but everybody at QPR will be on more than people think (again, the numbers are all there in the accounts, look at the quotes Macauley Bonne put out about the deal we gave him etc), and everybody signed this summer will be on substantially lower than the players they're replacing otherwise they wouldn't be coming. And in Smyth's case I had heard we'd offered him less than Orient have to renew there.

Anyway, rest of this is spot on
Paul Smyth...... on 15:44 - Jun 22 with 2540 viewsToast_R

Paul Smyth...... on 11:34 - Jun 22 by Hayesender

Wasn't it Warburton who got rid?

Either way, looks like we'll be playing the plucky underdog a lot next season

If memory serves me correct, Holloway had him playing first team football and ol Scteeve didn't fancy him at all like a few players Holloway was giving a chance to. I remember something about his mum online having a dig at old Hair Island?
[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 15:45]
Paul Smyth...... on 16:14 - Jun 22 with 2370 viewswesty

Paul Smyth...... on 15:42 - Jun 22 by Northernr

Might have slightly over-egged it, not based on any specific thing I've been told, but everybody at QPR will be on more than people think (again, the numbers are all there in the accounts, look at the quotes Macauley Bonne put out about the deal we gave him etc), and everybody signed this summer will be on substantially lower than the players they're replacing otherwise they wouldn't be coming. And in Smyth's case I had heard we'd offered him less than Orient have to renew there.

You’re probably not far off with £6k.
Smyth I reckon we would get away with paying him around £3 / £3.5k plus maybe 10% of his contract as a signing on fee.
The lure of proving himself will be more than the money I think. And I’m not sure LO would go above that figure.
Paul Smyth...... on 16:29 - Jun 22 with 2273 viewsSheffieldHoop

Paul Smyth...... on 15:42 - Jun 22 by Northernr

Nah, I do agree that you're probably pretty close with that number. The wild bit is how it ever got to that point.

Cole Kpekwa is an example we've talked about on here recently. So many young players are ruined by being given too much too young. I think Shodipo had the potential to be a far better player than he is today, but the incentive is mitigated when you're put on these kinds of salaries. Retaining focus at that age, and with that much money in your account can't be easy.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Paul Smyth...... on 16:34 - Jun 22 with 2243 viewsNorthernr

Paul Smyth...... on 16:29 - Jun 22 by SheffieldHoop

Nah, I do agree that you're probably pretty close with that number. The wild bit is how it ever got to that point.

Cole Kpekwa is an example we've talked about on here recently. So many young players are ruined by being given too much too young. I think Shodipo had the potential to be a far better player than he is today, but the incentive is mitigated when you're put on these kinds of salaries. Retaining focus at that age, and with that much money in your account can't be easy.

Absolutely. Chelsea academy, there won't be a boy there on less than 20k a week now. Lawyers on retainer for all the sex/driving problems they get themselves into.

Man City's Taylor Harwood Bellis, on loan at Burnley last year, as an 17 yo strutting round a pizza trophy game at Scunthorpe taking the pis out of how much they were earning compared to him.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10708124/harwood-bellis-van-ween-man-cit
Paul Smyth...... on 16:36 - Jun 22 with 2231 viewsjoe90

Paul Smyth...... on 14:21 - Jun 22 by strikerace

If this is caliber of player we are targeting, then this is going to be a long season. Seriously I would much rather have Bonne.

To be fair, Bonne has a better goal scoring record...

I think people are seeing attributes in Smyth they want in a player, but are overlooking the fact he hasn't got a proven track record.

It's the QPR way, we do like to talk up players that are 'triers' rather than give time to players who actually have the attributes.

Anyway, as I've said before, happy to be proven wrong.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 23:09]
Paul Smyth...... on 16:54 - Jun 22 with 2125 viewsDejR_vu

I’d be delighted to have him back. I thought he was barely given a chance here before, much like Masterson which, given where we find ourselves, I find absolutely baffling.

Smyth is quick, scores and is a good age, much better than the quality I was expecting.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Paul Smyth...... on 17:13 - Jun 22 with 2040 viewsstevec

Wonder if the club are aware that we did actually stay up last season.

Easy mistake to make, I have to pinch myself on occasions.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024