Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Smyth...... 10:36 - Jun 22 with 42653 viewsDoudou87

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/ainsworth-interested-in-bringing-back-former

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

Paul Smyth...... on 12:37 - Jun 23 with 3828 viewsE15Hoop

Paul Smyth...... on 12:27 - Jun 23 by kensalriser

If we'd just missed the playoffs we'd be far more likely to get some half decent transfer fees, so I think the situation would be quite different.

The market isn't saying that though, is it, KR?
Clubs know the financial situation we're in, just as they do with every other Championship side that isn't getting parachute payments.
League position has absolutely no bearing on this. It would have only been different if we'd got promoted.
Paul Smyth...... on 12:41 - Jun 23 with 3787 viewsdaveB

Paul Smyth...... on 12:37 - Jun 23 by E15Hoop

The market isn't saying that though, is it, KR?
Clubs know the financial situation we're in, just as they do with every other Championship side that isn't getting parachute payments.
League position has absolutely no bearing on this. It would have only been different if we'd got promoted.

I think the players would be more highly rated and worth a bit more if we had finished higher and finished well. The way the last 2 seasons collapsed leave question marks on players mentality and will help drive the price down. Of course the financial position isn't overly helpful either when wanting to get bigger money for transfers
Paul Smyth...... on 12:48 - Jun 23 with 3739 viewsE15Hoop

Paul Smyth...... on 12:41 - Jun 23 by daveB

I think the players would be more highly rated and worth a bit more if we had finished higher and finished well. The way the last 2 seasons collapsed leave question marks on players mentality and will help drive the price down. Of course the financial position isn't overly helpful either when wanting to get bigger money for transfers

I agree that we would have been in a stronger position to negotiate if we'd finished higher. That only comes into play really, though, if our higher position had meant we'd had Premier League or reasonably well-off European clubs sniffing around our players, and in all honesty, even then, would the differential have been all that great?
I'm not so sure about that.
Lyndon Dykes' Scotland heroics may yet net us a few squid more over the coming weeks, but I don't think Ilias Chair's value is any less now than it might potentially have been if we'd finished higher.
I guess we'll find out for sure soon enough..
Paul Smyth...... on 13:45 - Jun 23 with 3515 viewsE15Hoop

Paul Smyth...... on 12:28 - Jun 23 by Rangersw12

I can understand the Smyth signing ( if it happens ) he is cheap , gives us pace and would suit kick and rush football that we will clearly be playing next season .

Scowen is a signing that worries me , he come across as a twt and didn't exactly leave on good terms with the fans

Scowen just signed a contract extension at Wycombe so you would imagine there would be a fee involved of some description.
Would he even want to come back to LR? More habitual Twitter users than me will be far better placed to comment on this, but as I remember he got some fairly vicious trolling by some R's fans last time. I believe there was some debate about who/what actually kicked it all off, but even so, I don't think it left a very nice taste in his mouth, unsurprisingly.
Paul Smyth...... on 14:02 - Jun 23 with 3447 viewsLongRanger

Smyth yes, Scowan no. Smyth is a brave signing, he'll be a different person and player after a few successful years, much more confident and self assured, has done well and likely feels he still has something to prove here. Scowan though, there are plenty of busy central midfielders out there in the lower leagues within our budget (e.g. Khan at Swindon), bringing him back would just be a lazy signing in my opinion.
Paul Smyth...... on 14:12 - Jun 23 with 3398 viewsRangersw12

Paul Smyth...... on 13:45 - Jun 23 by E15Hoop

Scowen just signed a contract extension at Wycombe so you would imagine there would be a fee involved of some description.
Would he even want to come back to LR? More habitual Twitter users than me will be far better placed to comment on this, but as I remember he got some fairly vicious trolling by some R's fans last time. I believe there was some debate about who/what actually kicked it all off, but even so, I don't think it left a very nice taste in his mouth, unsurprisingly.

Best for all parties if he doesn't come back and like you say doubt he will even want to .

From memory his Dad ended up arguing with countless Rangers fans on twitter although why he thought it was a good idea to search his son's name is anyone's guess as there was always going to be some idiots talking nonsense
Paul Smyth...... on 14:22 - Jun 23 with 3353 viewsE15Hoop

Paul Smyth...... on 14:12 - Jun 23 by Rangersw12

Best for all parties if he doesn't come back and like you say doubt he will even want to .

From memory his Dad ended up arguing with countless Rangers fans on twitter although why he thought it was a good idea to search his son's name is anyone's guess as there was always going to be some idiots talking nonsense

True.
My favourite soapbox atm is how social media has given rise and social acceptance to a vast and rapid increase in narcissism in all its various guises.
Best not to even get started on that debate as that could fill several threads, except to say I have yet to discover anything positive to come from this particularly destructive character flaw.
Paul Smyth...... on 14:50 - Jun 23 with 3205 viewsfrancisbowles

Paul Smyth...... on 11:34 - Jun 23 by LazyFan

The reason Smyth was released before was that he was always getting injured, and we could not sell him before his contract ran out as ... he was always getting injured.

At Orient, he had a very nasty injury with a collapsed lung. He also had many injuries at the start of his Orient stint and also as we can see here: https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/paul-smyth-interview-leyton-orient-b10

Smyth has always been good enough if he could stay fit. The problem is he can never stay fit. Last season he managed 3 months without an injury at the tail end of the season and Orient got promoted and he was their best player.

Can this guy stay fit, that is the question. If he can then Gazball will be right up his street as Smyth likes to be one on one with the defender in a breakaway move. So, perfect for Gazball breakaways.

Another factor is Kelman also played with him, maybe Wildthing thinks he can make that work as well. I am not so, sure, I am not convinced Kelman is a forward. Possibly could be converted into a player-maker as he thread a ball, but even then that's a stretch.

With Smyth I remain unconvinced as he's always getting injured. He's not as bad as Shodipo who I allege has a chronic injury which he is hiding and managing as Shodipo can play great for 15 mins but no more. This suggests to me he's managing pain on the pitch as we see it too often ... allegedly.

Back to Smyth, big risk taking him on a contract, but if that is all we can get.

Smyth played 38 league matches, scoring 10 goals and appeared in 3 cup ties in 2022/23.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/paul-smyth/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/408872/
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Smyth...... on 15:35 - Jun 23 with 3048 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Paul Smyth...... on 12:49 - Jun 22 by terryb

I certainly understand this, so I would like your opinion on whether the rumour about Ioannis Pittas has any substance?

I know many would say £100k is a pittance, but when you've got next to nowt, can you afford that amount on a gamble of this magnitude?

I can't help wonder if somebody misheard the word loans & came up with Ioannis!

Should we buy Pittas when we have no bread?
Paul Smyth...... on 15:39 - Jun 23 with 3032 viewskensalriser

Paul Smyth...... on 15:35 - Jun 23 by Benny_the_Ball

Should we buy Pittas when we have no bread?

If it's a loan, we'll get him off a donor.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Paul Smyth...... on 15:44 - Jun 23 with 3006 viewsJordanFoster

There's probably two ways you can look at this and depending on what side you fall is whether you see this as a good or poor signing.

I think if you take the more holistic view, is Paul Smyth a player QPR should be looking to sign? It's certainly a step down in calibre from the likes of Willock, Chair, Roberts, Jamal Lowe etc. A guy that scored 10 from largely left wing in League 2. He didn't score bundles, he didn't assist loads. He's got bags of pace but is diminutive. He's played 69 times (across 4 seasons) in League 1 and scored 8 goals. If this wasn't an ex-QPR player, would we be so keen to see him sign? Are any other championship clubs going to be after him?

The argument that he's cheaper than Shodipo (which I fully agree he probably is) is a bit of a red herring as well. Shodipo is poor and hardly a regular. If we were saying someone was better than Conor Masterson, hardly the greatest of measures.

All that being said, if you look at it as the microcosm of this season, then he probably makes sense. This is clearly about just staying up, getting anyone we can in that will be cheap and have some outstanding physical attribute. There's a chance he can make the step up, a small one but theres a chance. He has the right attitude

Despite the talk of selling Chair for £8m and this player for £5m, the club is clearly fcked financially hence why our RB options look like being Kakay and Drewe.

We are slow AF when you watch us, if you can have him and Armstrong in, that's a bit of a handful. When you consider the DoF has gone, you may as well going balls in on it. Maybe there's an argument that the DoF knew what was coming this year and thought I need some self-preservation here. The money has gone, it's going one way.
Paul Smyth...... on 15:54 - Jun 23 with 2948 viewsE15Hoop

Paul Smyth...... on 15:44 - Jun 23 by JordanFoster

There's probably two ways you can look at this and depending on what side you fall is whether you see this as a good or poor signing.

I think if you take the more holistic view, is Paul Smyth a player QPR should be looking to sign? It's certainly a step down in calibre from the likes of Willock, Chair, Roberts, Jamal Lowe etc. A guy that scored 10 from largely left wing in League 2. He didn't score bundles, he didn't assist loads. He's got bags of pace but is diminutive. He's played 69 times (across 4 seasons) in League 1 and scored 8 goals. If this wasn't an ex-QPR player, would we be so keen to see him sign? Are any other championship clubs going to be after him?

The argument that he's cheaper than Shodipo (which I fully agree he probably is) is a bit of a red herring as well. Shodipo is poor and hardly a regular. If we were saying someone was better than Conor Masterson, hardly the greatest of measures.

All that being said, if you look at it as the microcosm of this season, then he probably makes sense. This is clearly about just staying up, getting anyone we can in that will be cheap and have some outstanding physical attribute. There's a chance he can make the step up, a small one but theres a chance. He has the right attitude

Despite the talk of selling Chair for £8m and this player for £5m, the club is clearly fcked financially hence why our RB options look like being Kakay and Drewe.

We are slow AF when you watch us, if you can have him and Armstrong in, that's a bit of a handful. When you consider the DoF has gone, you may as well going balls in on it. Maybe there's an argument that the DoF knew what was coming this year and thought I need some self-preservation here. The money has gone, it's going one way.

I just came up with this little ditty to sum up our current situation.
Those of a similar age to myself will no doubt immediately recognise the tune its set to, so here we go, 1,2,3:
"Where's the money gone? (Where's the money gone)?
Where's the money gone? (Where's the money gone)?
Where's the money gone (Where's the money gone)?
Far far away...

GA and Dobbo are now singing this song;
We need players on the cheap cheap
They woke up this morning and the money was gone
cheapy cheapy cheapy cheap cheap"

Has a certain ring to it, doesn't it...?
Paul Smyth...... on 15:57 - Jun 23 with 2927 viewsdmm

Paul Smyth...... on 15:54 - Jun 23 by E15Hoop

I just came up with this little ditty to sum up our current situation.
Those of a similar age to myself will no doubt immediately recognise the tune its set to, so here we go, 1,2,3:
"Where's the money gone? (Where's the money gone)?
Where's the money gone? (Where's the money gone)?
Where's the money gone (Where's the money gone)?
Far far away...

GA and Dobbo are now singing this song;
They woke up this morning and the money was gone
cheapy cheapy cheapy cheap cheap"

Has a certain ring to it, doesn't it...?

Nah, it's middle of the road.
Paul Smyth...... on 16:00 - Jun 23 with 2912 viewsE15Hoop

Paul Smyth...... on 15:57 - Jun 23 by dmm

Nah, it's middle of the road.

Ker-ching! (To coin a phase...)
Paul Smyth...... on 16:34 - Jun 23 with 2756 viewsjoe90

This thread reminds of this:

It going to be a long season!
Paul Smyth...... on 16:43 - Jun 23 with 2706 viewsE15Hoop

Paul Smyth...... on 16:34 - Jun 23 by joe90

This thread reminds of this:

It going to be a long season!

Do you remember 2000 - 01...?
I would politely suggest the current situation is nowhere near as bad as that...
Paul Smyth...... on 17:07 - Jun 23 with 2629 viewsRangersw12

Paul Smyth...... on 16:43 - Jun 23 by E15Hoop

Do you remember 2000 - 01...?
I would politely suggest the current situation is nowhere near as bad as that...

I seem to remember in the summer of 2000 we actually had some optimism as we had a decent season in 99/00

Not sure anyone has any optimism or any expectations this season (bar relegation) which should work in GA favour
[Post edited 23 Jun 2023 17:10]
Paul Smyth...... on 17:40 - Jun 23 with 2517 viewsNorthernr

Paul Smyth...... on 17:07 - Jun 23 by Rangersw12

I seem to remember in the summer of 2000 we actually had some optimism as we had a decent season in 99/00

Not sure anyone has any optimism or any expectations this season (bar relegation) which should work in GA favour

That 99/00 season was such a strange one. We'd been sht and getting worse for years, the finances were fcked, incredibly lucky not to be relegated the season before, summer transfer activity was things like jermaine darlington, ross weare and stuart wardley all from very deep non-league, and then we went out and beat Huddersfield day one who'd spent more than anybody else that summer and just booted on from there. So so much went right - two of the non league gambles turned out to be good first teamers, Langley came out of the youth team and was great, Kiwomya and Steiner a very good strike force, Gavin Peacock went on some ludicrous personal scoring run.

It's actually one of the seasons I remember enjoying the most. Had some great days, winning at Blackpool, Torquay in the cup, taking over Walsall's ground, winning 3-1 at Man City where the away end was a temporary stand perched up on some grass bank.

Following season everything went back to being sht again. Kiwomya and Steiner got injured. Furlong brought to replace Steiner got injured. The non-league players went back to being non league players.
Paul Smyth...... on 17:42 - Jun 23 with 2498 viewsdaveB

Yeah talk of the playoffs that summer, we were doing Ok until the autumn as well then went to pot
Paul Smyth...... on 17:51 - Jun 23 with 2466 viewsE15Hoop

2000-01 turned out to be a disaster of epic proportions, as I'm sure you remember only too well.
There's a few of us around (not just me) who believe that this season may play out better than a lot of people think. Depends of course on how these next few weeks shape up - that will really set the tone, as I guess you could say about every pre-season.
Paul Smyth...... on 18:01 - Jun 23 with 2398 viewsE15Hoop

Paul Smyth...... on 17:42 - Jun 23 by daveB

Yeah talk of the playoffs that summer, we were doing Ok until the autumn as well then went to pot

I remember Chris Wright going on one of the Sports talk shows and saying in front of Gerry Francis and the whole team that no way was 2000-01 going to be as bad as the end of the season prior.
That DEFINITELY didn't age well!
I don't think we'll ever see a cliff-fall as bad as that one again. Even if the owners decide they've had enough, I think we can see they've got enough about them to ensure that we would be passed into as decent a pair of hands as possible.
Having said that, the next lot may of course not be so careful, but thank God, that's not an immediate concern - not like it became back then, anyway!
Paul Smyth...... on 19:19 - Jun 23 with 2214 viewsVancouverHoop

FYI here's a very brief clip of Orient vs Stevenage top of the table matchfrom this Spring.

Note Kelman (0.20 secs) and Smyth at (0.30.) I watched the whole match. Kelman faded by half time, but Smyth was on fire the whole time. If it was up to me, I'd have some of that in a heartbeat.
Paul Smyth...... on 20:29 - Jun 23 with 2045 viewsaj22ftg

Paul Smyth...... on 12:28 - Jun 23 by Rangersw12

I can understand the Smyth signing ( if it happens ) he is cheap , gives us pace and would suit kick and rush football that we will clearly be playing next season .

Scowen is a signing that worries me , he come across as a twt and didn't exactly leave on good terms with the fans

The Smyth signing is happening.
Paul Smyth...... on 20:39 - Jun 23 with 2011 viewsDorse

Paul Smyth...... on 20:29 - Jun 23 by aj22ftg

The Smyth signing is happening.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Paul Smyth...... on 21:15 - Jun 23 with 1879 viewsBrianWilson

He is a signing that a team that will really struggle in the championship would make. It feels a bit like seeing Conor Washington sign for Rotherham last year. Then you forget he plays for them and check his stats at the end of the year and...oh...

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024