Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Smyth...... 10:36 - Jun 22 with 42629 viewsDoudou87

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/ainsworth-interested-in-bringing-back-former

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

Paul Smyth...... on 12:00 - Jun 22 with 2846 viewsHastings_Hoops

Paul Smyth...... on 10:50 - Jun 22 by QPROslo

Never thought he looked good enough at Championship level when he was with us a long time ago now. He may have improved somewhat but if we fill our squad with League 1 or 2 Level players that's where we'll end up.

That was Don Howe / Gerry Francis’ recruitment policy back in the 90’s (Brevett, Darren Peacock, Yates, Bailey, Penrice, Sinclair) - good to see us return to our roots in this regard.
Paul Smyth...... on 12:01 - Jun 22 with 2822 viewsdaveB

Paul Smyth...... on 11:45 - Jun 22 by joe90

We'll see...

Just looking at the numbers I remain unconvinced about Smyth. 13 goals in 62 starts for the O's. Bonne got 45 goals in 90 starts and we know how it turned out for him.

If you're saying Shodipo has no growth then what made his loan spell at Oxford worse than Symths time at Orient? 10 goals in 39 starts isn't too bad?

The money argument I accept, but let's not kid ourselves that it's anything other than that.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 11:47]

13 goals is not bad for a winger
Paul Smyth...... on 12:05 - Jun 22 with 2792 viewsDraytonR

I heard about this a few weeks ago , but read nothing on media sites , I think we all know this is the market we're in , good luck to him
Paul Smyth...... on 12:10 - Jun 22 with 2746 viewsEastR

From the same article:

Another former QPR player, Josh Scowen, is also highly regarded by Ainsworth, having had two spells under him at Wycombe.

Scowen, 30, signed a new one-year contract with the Chairboys in April.

Sounds like we'll have to pay some money to get Scowen on board

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Paul Smyth...... on 12:16 - Jun 22 with 2700 viewsCateLeBonR

My memory is that he didn’t get a lot of game time here because he was injured a lot. Last season was the first time he’s played more than 30 games in a season since 2016/17 for Linfield. Good talent though.
Paul Smyth...... on 12:19 - Jun 22 with 2673 viewsNed_Kennedys

Smyth was on loan at Wycombe for a while: scored an excellent goal when I went to see Wycombe and his pace was excellent.

Would be a great option off the bench with his pace if nothing else.
Paul Smyth...... on 12:20 - Jun 22 with 2662 viewsdmm

Paul Smyth...... on 12:10 - Jun 22 by EastR

From the same article:

Another former QPR player, Josh Scowen, is also highly regarded by Ainsworth, having had two spells under him at Wycombe.

Scowen, 30, signed a new one-year contract with the Chairboys in April.

Sounds like we'll have to pay some money to get Scowen on board

He's been mentioned before but Cameron Brannagan, a well regarded CM at Oxford, is available on a free this summer and is a player who would be far better for us than Scowen.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 12:26]
Paul Smyth...... on 12:23 - Jun 22 with 2639 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Can we re-sign Eze too?
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Smyth...... on 12:24 - Jun 22 with 2635 viewsQPROslo

I don't doubt that we will have to do some of our shopping in League 1 or even lower, But do think we do need to try and bring in players from there that are likely to do well at Championship Level. I doubt Smith is Champ level, I didn't think he was before, but of course that could be wrong. I'd have thought Shodipo was closer, he did reasonably well in what little time he got with us early last season, and has done okish in League 1, whereas Smith has only done okish down in L2.
Paul Smyth...... on 12:34 - Jun 22 with 2548 viewsHunterhoop

Paul Smyth...... on 11:46 - Jun 22 by Northernr

And the money argument is the argument really.

I've been saying it all summer, and I'll continue to say it. No budget to speak of without a significant sale, the signings are all going to be like this.

But we keep being told by certain posters it’s easy to cut costs, that we don’t need lots of sales, and if we do sell a few we’ll be able to reinvest….only 6m apparently to find net. Easy. This signing is just a back up.

Paul Smyth...... on 12:34 - Jun 22 with 2548 viewsNorthernr

Paul Smyth...... on 12:24 - Jun 22 by QPROslo

I don't doubt that we will have to do some of our shopping in League 1 or even lower, But do think we do need to try and bring in players from there that are likely to do well at Championship Level. I doubt Smith is Champ level, I didn't think he was before, but of course that could be wrong. I'd have thought Shodipo was closer, he did reasonably well in what little time he got with us early last season, and has done okish in League 1, whereas Smith has only done okish down in L2.

Again, Shodipo doing reasonably well must have been one of those games last season I went to the wrong match by accident.

Shodipo has had one reasonable season in his life, at Oxford, and when offered the chance to have him back the following season they declined. Possibly because he turned up so late so often he’d run up the debt of a third world country in fines.

Anyway, like I say, suspect Shodipo was on 6ish a week, and Smyth will be on more like 4k, and that’s where we are.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Paul Smyth...... on 12:40 - Jun 22 with 2504 viewsThird_Division_South

Paul Smyth...... on 12:24 - Jun 22 by QPROslo

Nothing wrong with shopping in L1 and L2 if, and it’s a big if, you can get it right. Jordan Clarke, who scored the winner for Luton at Wembley came in on a free from Accrington Stanley and mom Adenauer from Walsall.
Paul Smyth...... on 12:40 - Jun 22 with 2504 viewsAntti_Heinola

Paul Smyth...... on 12:34 - Jun 22 by Northernr

Again, Shodipo doing reasonably well must have been one of those games last season I went to the wrong match by accident.

Shodipo has had one reasonable season in his life, at Oxford, and when offered the chance to have him back the following season they declined. Possibly because he turned up so late so often he’d run up the debt of a third world country in fines.

Anyway, like I say, suspect Shodipo was on 6ish a week, and Smyth will be on more like 4k, and that’s where we are.

6k pw?!

Bare bones.

Paul Smyth...... on 12:42 - Jun 22 with 2481 viewsslmrstid

It shows the absolute insanity of the world of football that someone of Shodipo's ability could be on circa £300,000 per year. Thats probably double, or getting on for, what my executive directors at my job in the construction industry are on.

Even Paul Smyth at £200,000+ is the same. Its just bonkers, it truly is. No wonder everyone is skint.

And we fret about these being "low" salaries!
Paul Smyth...... on 12:44 - Jun 22 with 2466 viewsThird_Division_South

Paul Smyth...... on 12:40 - Jun 22 by Third_Division_South

Nothing wrong with shopping in L1 and L2 if, and it’s a big if, you can get it right. Jordan Clarke, who scored the winner for Luton at Wembley came in on a free from Accrington Stanley and mom Adenauer from Walsall.

Adeybayo of course. Bloody auto correct
Paul Smyth...... on 12:46 - Jun 22 with 2426 viewsQPROslo

My recollection, no more, was Shodipo coming on as a Sub in a few games and doing better imo and in LoF player ratings if not yours, than than the then borderline start attacking players, Albert and Roberts and maybe others. Thought he had been loaned out and Albert renewed mainly because Albert could do a job at RB if necessary and still had a goal or two in him.
Paul Smyth...... on 12:47 - Jun 22 with 2414 viewsQPR_Jim

Paul Smyth...... on 12:20 - Jun 22 by dmm

He's been mentioned before but Cameron Brannagan, a well regarded CM at Oxford, is available on a free this summer and is a player who would be far better for us than Scowen.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 12:26]

While I agree with your assessment, he would be a great signing from what I know (probably not as much as I think) but I believe he has signed an extension to 2025.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2022/july/cameron-brannagan-stays-with-the-us/
Paul Smyth...... on 12:49 - Jun 22 with 2392 viewsterryb

Paul Smyth...... on 11:46 - Jun 22 by Northernr

And the money argument is the argument really.

I've been saying it all summer, and I'll continue to say it. No budget to speak of without a significant sale, the signings are all going to be like this.

I certainly understand this, so I would like your opinion on whether the rumour about Ioannis Pittas has any substance?

I know many would say £100k is a pittance, but when you've got next to nowt, can you afford that amount on a gamble of this magnitude?

I can't help wonder if somebody misheard the word loans & came up with Ioannis!
Paul Smyth...... on 12:53 - Jun 22 with 2356 viewsNorthernr

Paul Smyth...... on 12:49 - Jun 22 by terryb

I certainly understand this, so I would like your opinion on whether the rumour about Ioannis Pittas has any substance?

I know many would say £100k is a pittance, but when you've got next to nowt, can you afford that amount on a gamble of this magnitude?

I can't help wonder if somebody misheard the word loans & came up with Ioannis!

Hands up mate I hadn't heard of him, or that deal, until yesterday. So that'll be a tough write up if it happens!

£100k really isn't a big transfer fee for a Championship club, skint or otherwise. We were probably paying Johansen that a month. We'll probably have to spend some money somewhere.
Paul Smyth...... on 12:58 - Jun 22 with 2300 viewsE15Hoop

Paul Smyth...... on 11:58 - Jun 22 by Burnleyhoop

Just seen the fixture list……this is going to be a long painful season and we could find ourselves propping the league up very early and potentially throughout. The owners need to hold their nerve and resist the temptation to dismiss Ainsworth if things go sour early.

This is likely to be the weakest squad we have seen for many years and will need everyone fully committed and pulling in the same direction. Expectations need to be severely tempered and the support turning toxic will only worsen the situation.

Buckle up people, bite your tongues and try and show your support as this is going to be a rough ride.

The only consolation for me is that we won’t be paying big money for wasters that offer next to nothing.

I may be putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with substantially more than 4, but I'm wondering if the whole PR overload on how fantastic Heston is, how it shows the owners' long-term commitment to the club, how it gives us a real base to be "one club", plan for the future etc., Les handing in his resignation is to deflect attention - ie. the board are fully aware what this season is likely to be about, and in fact the remit to GA and RD for this season, and for the foreseeable, will, in fact be "Just don't relegate us".
Feels like we're at the same point of the curve as that season where we stayed up by beating Forest at home on the last day.
Paul Smyth...... on 13:02 - Jun 22 with 2248 viewspeterlund_dk

Paul Smyth...... on 12:44 - Jun 22 by Third_Division_South

I thought for a moment you wanted to replace Olamide Oluwatimilehin Babatunde Oluwaka Shodipo with The first Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, Konrad Hermann Joseph Adenauer.
Paul Smyth...... on 13:05 - Jun 22 with 2207 viewsdmm

Paul Smyth...... on 12:47 - Jun 22 by QPR_Jim

While I agree with your assessment, he would be a great signing from what I know (probably not as much as I think) but I believe he has signed an extension to 2025.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2022/july/cameron-brannagan-stays-with-the-us/

Thanks Jim. That'll teach me to trust Transfermarket's contract dates.

Shame about that as I'd have liked him at QPR. We were supposed to be interested in him last summer but obviously missed the boat.
Paul Smyth...... on 13:07 - Jun 22 with 2190 viewsNorthernr

Paul Smyth...... on 13:09 - Jun 22 with 2160 viewsTheChef

Paul Smyth...... on 12:44 - Jun 22 by Third_Division_South

Konrad was more of a midfield enforcer.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Paul Smyth...... on 13:10 - Jun 22 with 2142 viewsNorthernr

Paul Smyth...... on 12:40 - Jun 22 by Antti_Heinola

6k pw?!

Yeh I would think somewhere in that region with bonuses, appearances etc (which of course he rarely got) given how long he's been here, how high hopes were for him under JFH, how many times he's renewed his deal etc. And Smyth will be a bit under that. Like I say I hear we've actually offered him less than Orient have done.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm guessing on Shodipo, it's not like when Paladini was here and he printed the salary roll out for me during an interview
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024