Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Internet - serious business 11:09 - Aug 25 with 17877 viewsNorthernr

I don't know where this post is going to go really, but I felt compelled to say something before I go properly off grid for a couple of days later on this morning.

I've been in Edinburgh this week with the day job - hectic 14-hour day sort of days. I'm now travelling for a couple of days through the Highlands which is something I've wanted to do for a while and, after the way last season went and how I felt at the end of it, have decided to do a little bit more of this season - huge thanks to the several of you who offered to help out with match reports and the like which has enabled me to do that, and good luck to Danny Paddox with his first swing at one of those tomorrow. Despite this, the history, referee, oppo interview, and preview have all been written and posted to time and to a reasonable standard (if not firing on all LFW cylinders) - written on trains, in the bag of cabs, in hotel rooms late at night, in press rooms when I'm meant to be doing day job…

On top of that we've had the Mason Greenwood thread, the India on the moon thread and the bloody Russian thread and all of the half baked conspiracy theory, frequently offensive stuff that's gone along with that. Monitoring these threads for legals, libels, threats against other posters, links, takes time, effort, judgement, consideration. None of which I've really had a lot of to give this week, but have nevertheless done anyway out of dedication to keeping the site going. Dedication that has now stretched across 20 years, and really only now continues because so many of you are so generous with your Patreon contributions. Without that I'd have walked away 18 months ago.

I'm constantly wrestling with a few things on this forum. I want to try to keep it open and flowing to all discussions and debates, I think it's a better board like that. There’s some seriously interesting non-football debate and discussion on here which is to all of your credit. I've heard the suggestions about separating it out into different topics, but I hate message boards that are run like that and don't want to do it. I'm also conscious that you need a range of viewpoints, and that just because I disagree with what you're saying personally doesn't mean I can delete the posts or direct the traffic towards my POV - I disagree with a great many of you on a great many things BTW, but it's not much of a message board if only what Clive thinks and feels is allowed. I'm also acutely aware of all the high and mighty "free speech" and "censorship" stuff that gets thrown around.

The Mason Greenwood thread is a prime example actually – some of the stuff on there I find absolutely abhorrent, and I cannot believe anybody listens to that recording and reaches that point of view, but reading between the lines there’s clearly some posters on that thread with close, personal experiences that are worth listening to and taking into account, so I’ve tried to keep that one ticking over and going however offensive some people may find some of the posts on it. But that takes time, and effort, and judgement, and consideration. There will be inconsistencies. I’ll get stuff wrong. But I try.

However... It’s a football message board. It’s not here for Hunter Biden’s fcking laptop conspiracy nutjobs, or Laurence Fox videos. You’ve got all manner of other places on the internet for that, I think the vast majority of people here don’t want to be subjected to it on a QPR site, and I am now at a point where I not only don’t want to read and moderate it but am also not willing to do so. I think in the interests of trying to maintain those points in that previous paragraph, and a chronic lack of self confidence, esteem and belief on my own part, I have allowed things to go on here that I don’t like, hate personally, and at times have made me feel like complete sht. If this season is going to be as long and hard as it looks, I’m not willing to trawl across the country covering a losing team, while at the same time logging onto my own message board and seeing topics, posts and poster names who make my heart sink and cause me aggro. I’ve got to look after myself better this season than I did last, or I’m going to end up exactly what my dad was – dead at 44. To that end, I have now deleted the Sakura account and will delete any of his future attempts to start other ones. I’m not being stalked and bullied on my own website and I'm not providing a platform for anonymous internet trolls. I get enough of it on social media where I can’t control it but here I can. If you’ve got a problem with this then please feel free to DM me or, as I said to him many times, remember there are several other QPR websites and message boards you can use if you don’t like this one and/or me.

https://www.wearetherangersboys.com/
https://qprdot.org/
https://rfantasyisland.boards.net/
https://queensparkrangersfc.boards.net/

I often get messages after this offering help with moderation. I don't want moderators. I don't want an overly moderated message board. What I want, and what I need, is for us all to remember, however passionate an argument or debate gets or however much you fundamentally hate or disagree with what people are saying, that this is a football and QPR message board and all of us on here (bar a couple of Brentford lurkers and Konk) are football and QPR fans in the end, and it's really not that serious. It's just football guys, that's all it is. However much I might wind you up, however often you disagree with me, however much I irritate you, I’m a QPR fan too, just trying to provide this site and service for you all to use and enjoy. Let’s just try and maintain that level of solidarity and respect for each other at all times.

Anyway, cheers for the support as always.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Internet - serious business on 11:15 - Aug 25 with 8745 viewsDorse

Never underestimate how much you are appreciated at this end Norf. Said it before: you are a Mensch.

Have a good weekend fella.

D

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Internet - serious business on 11:19 - Aug 25 with 8704 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Internet - serious business on 11:15 - Aug 25 by Dorse

Never underestimate how much you are appreciated at this end Norf. Said it before: you are a Mensch.

Have a good weekend fella.

D

Seconded.

You look after yourself, Clive, and thanks.

To quote the late, great Parky again:

"Sport is not war, or death, or famine – it’s not that at all. It’s the opposite of that. It’s to persuade us of a life outside of that… that’s why sport’s important.”

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Internet - serious business on 11:21 - Aug 25 with 8652 viewsLblock

Looking forward to Danny P's report.... for the picture edits if nothing else!!!

Enjoy the break.
I'm off to look for a forum where I can deny the climate crisis in peace.

U R's

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Internet - serious business on 11:25 - Aug 25 with 8593 viewsSonofpugwash

Whatever one's differences this site is always a welcome way of life now.
Good luck in Bonnie Scotland and don't forget to visit The Falls Of Shin.
Bring us back a salmon.

https://sobt.co.uk/falls-of-shin/

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Internet - serious business on 11:26 - Aug 25 with 8606 viewsdmm

Thanks so much for all you do in providing this space for us. I hope you can find the life balance you need that will help you continue to run LfW.

Enjoy the land of my birth and where a big part of my heart remains. May your trip be the start of a new thing.
Internet - serious business on 11:28 - Aug 25 with 8593 viewsSuperhoop83

From this day forth I will never post anything that isn't related to our club or football generally.

Keep up the good work - you are appreciated more than you realise and you have helped to preserve some of my sanity after 45 years of supporting QPR.

And enjoy your break. I hope they serve Peroni somewhere in the Highlands...

Suffering since 1978.

Internet - serious business on 11:36 - Aug 25 with 8532 viewsslmrstid

Look after yourself Clive, get some good runs in the Highlands (although watch out for the ticks and midges perhaps...)

This is the best QPR site out there, without a shadow of a doubt. I never realised your Dad was so young when he passed.

Have a great trip, fingers crossed for a good result tomorrow.
Internet - serious business on 11:40 - Aug 25 with 8468 viewstoboboly

I think a return of Sexy Friday's might help combat the nutters, gets everybody's excitement focussed on more important matters.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Login to get fewer ads

Internet - serious business on 11:41 - Aug 25 with 8463 viewsBlackCrowe

Internet - serious business on 11:28 - Aug 25 by Superhoop83

From this day forth I will never post anything that isn't related to our club or football generally.

Keep up the good work - you are appreciated more than you realise and you have helped to preserve some of my sanity after 45 years of supporting QPR.

And enjoy your break. I hope they serve Peroni somewhere in the Highlands...

I don't think that's Clive's point....at least i hope not as i'm loving the responses to my road trip recommendations thread.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Internet - serious business on 11:45 - Aug 25 with 8431 viewssmudgehoop

I felt humbled reading the OP.

Thanks for everything you do on LFW.

Internet - serious business on 11:46 - Aug 25 with 8417 viewsDorse

Internet - serious business on 11:40 - Aug 25 by toboboly

I think a return of Sexy Friday's might help combat the nutters, gets everybody's excitement focussed on more important matters.

You're welcome.

Internet - serious business on 11:47 - Aug 25 with 8386 viewstoboboly

Internet - serious business on 11:46 - Aug 25 by Dorse

You're welcome.

Phwooooaaaaar

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Internet - serious business on 11:48 - Aug 25 with 8378 viewsthame_hoops

You do a fantastic job. Enjoy your holiday

In all seriousness, I know you monitor posts for legal reasons, but is anything really going to happen if somebody posts nonsense? Who will ever find out apart from the people that read this board? Or is it from a duty of care standpoint?
Internet - serious business on 12:04 - Aug 25 with 8248 viewsDorse

Internet - serious business on 11:48 - Aug 25 by thame_hoops

You do a fantastic job. Enjoy your holiday

In all seriousness, I know you monitor posts for legal reasons, but is anything really going to happen if somebody posts nonsense? Who will ever find out apart from the people that read this board? Or is it from a duty of care standpoint?

If it's possible to get in trouble for posting nonsense, I'm clearly fcuked.

Internet - serious business on 12:07 - Aug 25 with 8229 viewsWokingR

You're welcome.

Nailed it

And may I be the first to say F*ck Off Sakura, you absolute bellend !
Internet - serious business on 12:14 - Aug 25 with 8174 viewssprocket

Clive, I am in awe at what you do and how you do it and how/why you keep on doing it. Patreon sub is a small way of saying thanks. I'll miss you when you do go but hope you stick around as long as you can or want to.
Internet - serious business on 12:33 - Aug 25 with 8050 viewsSnipper

Great post Clive. I’m sure I’ve started some threads that can be classed as risqué, but there would definitely be no malice in it.

I think you should make this thread a sticky for a week or so.

It deserves to be seen instead of it being ignored if it falls down the page/pages.
Internet - serious business on 12:35 - Aug 25 with 7997 viewsClive_Anderson

"It’s not here for Hunter Biden’s fcking laptop conspiracy nutjobs"

Bit of a strange example to give since the "conspiracy nutjobs" turned out to be completely right on the matter and those saying it was a "Russian conspiracy theory" were shown to be completely and utterly wrong.
Internet - serious business on 12:42 - Aug 25 with 7965 viewsMrSheen

Internet - serious business on 12:35 - Aug 25 by Clive_Anderson

"It’s not here for Hunter Biden’s fcking laptop conspiracy nutjobs"

Bit of a strange example to give since the "conspiracy nutjobs" turned out to be completely right on the matter and those saying it was a "Russian conspiracy theory" were shown to be completely and utterly wrong.

Yes, but...other sites are available.

I don't fancy having to pick a new Number 1 for my Favourites list, please let's keep the noise down.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 12:43]
Internet - serious business on 12:47 - Aug 25 with 7915 viewsizlingtonhoop

Internet - serious business on 11:21 - Aug 25 by Lblock

Looking forward to Danny P's report.... for the picture edits if nothing else!!!

Enjoy the break.
I'm off to look for a forum where I can deny the climate crisis in peace.

U R's

Actually funny
🙌👏🙌👏
Internet - serious business on 12:52 - Aug 25 with 7884 viewscharmr

Coincidentally the last few weeks on checking in first thing in the morning here over a cup of tea, have I been so less interested in the 6 page fillers of late and not read anything and left the site. Honestly can’t ever recall that happening.

Enjoy your self Sir
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 12:56]
Internet - serious business on 13:05 - Aug 25 with 7789 viewsHAYESBOY

This is just a website forum. Your/Ones health and happiness comes first.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Internet - serious business on 13:07 - Aug 25 with 7762 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I found some bits of the Cairngorms, especially around Aviemore and Braemar a bit cheesy, but made up for in absolute gems like loch Shin and Lairg.

The most breathtaking place I’ve ever been in Scotland is Orkney though, and not just because LfW legend Karl lives there.

Enjoy, and Sorry for any contribution I’ve made to your turmoil.
Internet - serious business on 13:11 - Aug 25 with 7706 viewsMick_S

You're welcome.

Clive been going through your wardrobe, Dorse?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Internet - serious business on 13:22 - Aug 25 with 7626 viewskernowhoop

Enjoy Scotland, Clive - brief though it will be.

Hope the weather is kind. Which reminds me of a discussion with a Scot that I knew through work. My home then was Cornwall, but, I had had holidays in Scotland and had made several trips to the west coast (work + a weekend) and my wife and I had become very attracted to it. Move there, or, have a holiday home, we wondered? I mentioned the idea to my Scottish friend (he lived on the west coast, commuted weekly to Glasgow). 'Really?' he said.'You won't like the rain.' 'But, I live in Cornwall. I know about rain,' I said. 'No, you don't' he replied.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024