Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Internet - serious business 11:09 - Aug 25 with 18246 viewsNorthernr

I don't know where this post is going to go really, but I felt compelled to say something before I go properly off grid for a couple of days later on this morning.

I've been in Edinburgh this week with the day job - hectic 14-hour day sort of days. I'm now travelling for a couple of days through the Highlands which is something I've wanted to do for a while and, after the way last season went and how I felt at the end of it, have decided to do a little bit more of this season - huge thanks to the several of you who offered to help out with match reports and the like which has enabled me to do that, and good luck to Danny Paddox with his first swing at one of those tomorrow. Despite this, the history, referee, oppo interview, and preview have all been written and posted to time and to a reasonable standard (if not firing on all LFW cylinders) - written on trains, in the bag of cabs, in hotel rooms late at night, in press rooms when I'm meant to be doing day job…

On top of that we've had the Mason Greenwood thread, the India on the moon thread and the bloody Russian thread and all of the half baked conspiracy theory, frequently offensive stuff that's gone along with that. Monitoring these threads for legals, libels, threats against other posters, links, takes time, effort, judgement, consideration. None of which I've really had a lot of to give this week, but have nevertheless done anyway out of dedication to keeping the site going. Dedication that has now stretched across 20 years, and really only now continues because so many of you are so generous with your Patreon contributions. Without that I'd have walked away 18 months ago.

I'm constantly wrestling with a few things on this forum. I want to try to keep it open and flowing to all discussions and debates, I think it's a better board like that. There’s some seriously interesting non-football debate and discussion on here which is to all of your credit. I've heard the suggestions about separating it out into different topics, but I hate message boards that are run like that and don't want to do it. I'm also conscious that you need a range of viewpoints, and that just because I disagree with what you're saying personally doesn't mean I can delete the posts or direct the traffic towards my POV - I disagree with a great many of you on a great many things BTW, but it's not much of a message board if only what Clive thinks and feels is allowed. I'm also acutely aware of all the high and mighty "free speech" and "censorship" stuff that gets thrown around.

The Mason Greenwood thread is a prime example actually – some of the stuff on there I find absolutely abhorrent, and I cannot believe anybody listens to that recording and reaches that point of view, but reading between the lines there’s clearly some posters on that thread with close, personal experiences that are worth listening to and taking into account, so I’ve tried to keep that one ticking over and going however offensive some people may find some of the posts on it. But that takes time, and effort, and judgement, and consideration. There will be inconsistencies. I’ll get stuff wrong. But I try.

However... It’s a football message board. It’s not here for Hunter Biden’s fcking laptop conspiracy nutjobs, or Laurence Fox videos. You’ve got all manner of other places on the internet for that, I think the vast majority of people here don’t want to be subjected to it on a QPR site, and I am now at a point where I not only don’t want to read and moderate it but am also not willing to do so. I think in the interests of trying to maintain those points in that previous paragraph, and a chronic lack of self confidence, esteem and belief on my own part, I have allowed things to go on here that I don’t like, hate personally, and at times have made me feel like complete sht. If this season is going to be as long and hard as it looks, I’m not willing to trawl across the country covering a losing team, while at the same time logging onto my own message board and seeing topics, posts and poster names who make my heart sink and cause me aggro. I’ve got to look after myself better this season than I did last, or I’m going to end up exactly what my dad was – dead at 44. To that end, I have now deleted the Sakura account and will delete any of his future attempts to start other ones. I’m not being stalked and bullied on my own website and I'm not providing a platform for anonymous internet trolls. I get enough of it on social media where I can’t control it but here I can. If you’ve got a problem with this then please feel free to DM me or, as I said to him many times, remember there are several other QPR websites and message boards you can use if you don’t like this one and/or me.

https://www.wearetherangersboys.com/
https://qprdot.org/
https://rfantasyisland.boards.net/
https://queensparkrangersfc.boards.net/

I often get messages after this offering help with moderation. I don't want moderators. I don't want an overly moderated message board. What I want, and what I need, is for us all to remember, however passionate an argument or debate gets or however much you fundamentally hate or disagree with what people are saying, that this is a football and QPR message board and all of us on here (bar a couple of Brentford lurkers and Konk) are football and QPR fans in the end, and it's really not that serious. It's just football guys, that's all it is. However much I might wind you up, however often you disagree with me, however much I irritate you, I’m a QPR fan too, just trying to provide this site and service for you all to use and enjoy. Let’s just try and maintain that level of solidarity and respect for each other at all times.

Anyway, cheers for the support as always.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Internet - serious business on 17:53 - Aug 25 with 2922 viewsessextaxiboy

This board is a part of my life , I dont use any other social media . I have got involved in the past on non Rangers threads notably Brexit. I will never contribute to a non Rangers thread again , they are divisive and attract some dubious characters .
Thanks Clive for getting it all out there . I hope life gets easier now.
Internet - serious business on 17:57 - Aug 25 with 2903 viewskensalriser

Internet - serious business on 14:55 - Aug 25 by Clive_Anderson

Give what a rest? I rarely if ever talk about politics and haven't for ages. Especially with people like you on here hovering over the keyboard and jumping down people's throat for the slightest wrong-think (while playing with yourself no doubt).

I just questioned the point of bringing something up that no one has mentioned for years and calling people complete nutjobs when they turned out to be right. If you really think that's one of the most outrageous thing you've ever read (judging by your ridiculous overreaction) then you should probably go and get the help that you need.

Maybe take another second to read the room.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Internet - serious business on 18:16 - Aug 25 with 2844 viewsR_from_afar

Internet - serious business on 13:42 - Aug 25 by colinallcars

Thanks a million for this board Clive - I'm sure there are quite a few of us who have been through some tough times over the years and I'm sure I speak for all of 'em when I say this forum is a great help and of course, interesting, informative and great fun at the other times.
Have a great break.

Good points. My "problems" are trivial compared with those many people have to deal with but I have had a rubbish few years, first due to the Covid related working from home (I was home on my own), second when the lockdowns were lifted but my company closed our local office and third when the gits made me redundant in March.

This site and all you lot have kept me connected, informed and entertained, so thank you all, but most of all, thank you Clive

Let's all keep it civil so Mr W can enjoy his much needed break

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Internet - serious business on 18:34 - Aug 25 with 2750 viewsSonofpugwash

I think we need reports of this calibre on here.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Internet - serious business on 18:47 - Aug 25 with 2742 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Internet - serious business on 18:34 - Aug 25 by Sonofpugwash

I think we need reports of this calibre on here.

Clive's taking a big gamble here: Paddox nails some big wins and a few top-top reports, we might find Whittingham is the new Willock...I mean, same initials and everything.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Internet - serious business (n/t) on 19:25 - Aug 25 with 2657 viewsMick_S

Internet - serious business on 18:47 - Aug 25 by PlanetHonneywood

Clive's taking a big gamble here: Paddox nails some big wins and a few top-top reports, we might find Whittingham is the new Willock...I mean, same initials and everything.

Err. Fat fingers.

Peace and love people.

Good luck Danny boy.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 19:27]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Internet - serious business on 19:56 - Aug 25 with 2569 viewsjohncharles

Reading through this thread, not all of it but something that struck me was when some of you guys mentioned your “ethnicity “ (f*ck me what a clumsy word ) what I’m trying to say is that I had no idea and it has never had any effect on anything that’s being said on here by you or me.
P.S, I think Brian McCarthy might be Irish

Strong and stable my arse.

Internet - serious business on 20:03 - Aug 25 with 2550 viewsDannyPaddox

I have been chosen!

Just to add to the overwhelming love in this thread for Clive and his writing. You are part and parcel of QPR to so many people especially those far afield. The old adage says you never truly miss something until it’s gone. Well I’ll tell you something … people are certainly gonna miss you after they’ve read my match-day offering 😆
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 20:49]
Login to get fewer ads

Internet - serious business on 20:11 - Aug 25 with 2511 viewsPhildo

It’s Friday ten past eight so I’m half cut but I love this site even if the occasional hunter Biden thread is a bit of a downer. We are qpr. Long live Clive.
Internet - serious business on 20:17 - Aug 25 with 2487 viewsCateLeBonR

Internet - serious business on 20:03 - Aug 25 by DannyPaddox

I have been chosen!

Just to add to the overwhelming love in this thread for Clive and his writing. You are part and parcel of QPR to so many people especially those far afield. The old adage says you never truly miss something until it’s gone. Well I’ll tell you something … people are certainly gonna miss you after they’ve read my match-day offering 😆

Out of interest Clive (if you're reading) what was your first ever LFW match report? We need to come up with a suitably punny name for the new Danny P column. 'Paddoxically Speaking'?
Internet - serious business on 20:24 - Aug 25 with 2455 viewsDorse

I have been chosen!

So Dan, I see you've given Dozzell an 8...

[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 20:25]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Internet - serious business on 20:37 - Aug 25 with 2399 viewsdistortR

Just to join in the chorus of approval for this site and Clive's wonderful writing.
And to apologise for dumping a pint of peroni on his table on saturday, and then remembering that he drinks bottles........
Anyway, I enjoy the political stuff and arguing, but after getting pulled up by Clive for something I said around Christmas, had a think and about the way it made his life miserable, about how much I value this site and his writing, so have pretty much stayed away from those threads since. It's actually not that difficult.
Internet - serious business on 20:46 - Aug 25 with 2371 viewsChrisNW6

Safe travels Clive and make sure you scale some hills the scenary is absolutely stunning.

I find myself checking in on this site far too many times a day, but that's testament to what you have built.
Internet - serious business on 21:43 - Aug 25 with 2266 viewsSAPilgrim

Enjoy Scotland Clive.

The credit of this forum is yours, and this decision is to your credit as well. Absolute top gent
Internet - serious business on 00:27 - Aug 26 with 1981 viewsnumptydumpty

Have a decent rest up Clive and definitely keep a track on your stresses

None of us are indestructible. Glad you having a break.

It's a great forum with some interesting characters.

I am occasionally myself King of overdoing things and stress creeps up and occasionally explodes so at least hope you have a few moments in each day to chill.

The Internet is a bit of a jungle at times so glad you letting a couple of others be Tarzan this weekend.

But like others have said if you need others to make sure things not getting bit nasty, hope you can do that from time to time.

Enjoy the Highlands.and hope you come back feeling refreshed.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Internet - serious business on 00:55 - Aug 26 with 1971 viewsCiderwithRsie

Have a good break.

I'll try not to be an arse.
Internet - serious business on 01:12 - Aug 26 with 1954 viewsMrSheen

I have been chosen!

A man is only as good as his ref profile. Whadja got, champ?
Internet - serious business on 02:22 - Aug 26 with 1901 viewsPunteR

LFW is a crazy place.
QPR is a crazy club and this forum is kinda out there but truth be told the real world is even madder.
We all come in here as a place of refuge because we know we are with like minded individuals , we have QPR in common.
I've genuinely made good friends because of this site, real people in the real world that algorithms cant suss out . I'll always be grateful to Clive and LFW for that.
The flipside is you will always get numptys on social media .I havent ruled myself out of that btw. ive been a total twit sometimes where Clive has had a word which is fair enough. But some have taken liberty with the high brow approach and political agendas.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Internet - serious business on 06:29 - Aug 26 with 1805 viewsMalintabuk

A relative newbie on here and occasional poster. Would post more but life generally as a way of interfering with the important stuff... like supporting this club
Have always enjoyed the reports, reviews and the threads, but rarely go onto the non QPR ones, I can find arguments in the real world, don't need them on something that is suppose to be fun and sharing what we all do... the love of this club
Think Clive is an author that as struck up a balance between articulate and passion, and that comes from his love of what we all love QPR
I would sorely miss this site and Clive so hope that he comes back from bonnie land revitalised refreshed and revigorated
But as Mrs MinT is of the Scottish clan of Sutherland she would highly recommend

https://www.google.com/amp/s/darachcroft.com/news/haggis-hunting-season-tips-and

A must do past time and of course in todays world there is humane trapping now and environmental awareness of just how many haggis the environment can support
Internet - serious business on 07:15 - Aug 26 with 1751 viewsMonkey_Roots

Danny, can we discuss maybe you developing an alter ego for the match report?

Some ideas:
American tycoon type, bit of a hillbilly - ‘Dang!’ - Sort of fella.

Top Boy Road man, but one with a lisp or something.

90’s Snoop Dogg… ‘A pizass to Chizair, who takes a Shizot wizide… biiaaatch’.

An 80’s fax machine?
Internet - serious business on 07:53 - Aug 26 with 1679 viewsAshteadR

Enjoy a well deserved break Clive.
Internet - serious business on 07:58 - Aug 26 with 1669 viewshubble

It's funny - I came to this site for the QPR addiction we all suffer from, but I stayed for the banter, for the broad demographic, for the incredible range of opinions, attitudes, tastes and characters.

I'll be honest, I'm often more interested in the music threads or the political threads or the book/film/holiday suggestions than the football ones. So I'm really glad to know that you won't abandon the non-football side, Clive, or relegate it to a separate forum, it's what makes this site unique.

And, contrary to many it seems, I like it when people express opinions very different to my own, and I don't mind a bit of conflict, it's all grist to the mill as far as I'm concerned.

So many, many thanks for your wise and relatively neutral stance, Clive, and your willingness to support free speech, with all the usual caveats. In a world of increasingly suffocating orthodoxy and polarisation, it's a godsend.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Internet - serious business on 08:59 - Aug 26 with 1551 viewsFDC

I've probably been a pain in the arse for Clive at times over the years on here, but after a long break away im less invested in the Serious Business of being right on the internet!
Internet - serious business on 09:16 - Aug 26 with 1499 viewskropotkin41

Enjoy the Highlands, Clive. I'm not a patron - but should be because LFW is, and has been for more years than I care to remember, my go to QPR site. Do whatever you need to do to look after yourself.
For the rest of us, I think it'd take a stunning lack of empathy not to read Clive's words and realise that what we have here is, like so many great things in life, fragile. Clive's writing, honest and passionate, is more than entertainment, it's a view of the man, and men can burn out. As someone else has said, let's keep the noise down.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Internet - serious business on 09:47 - Aug 26 with 1412 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

I came on this forum only 3 or 4 years ago and it is a fantastic place to get different views about QPR. Your match reports are great and only make me laugh more the worse we have gotten this past 18 months.

It has made me think though that politics is now so intertwined with football (Man City, Newcastle etc) that it has become almost impossible to separate the two. Hence, threads that start off on football sometimes veer off at weird tangents.

Anyway, enjoy your break, you've earnt it. U Rs!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024