Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road renovation/revamp 13:14 - Sep 20 with 55296 viewsQPRConor2000

Given the news we heard this week from Ruben that LR is now more likely to be redeveloped over a new stadium, I wanted to open up a specific thread for it.

Any ideas on how we can improve LR.

NOTE: Serious ideas only.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:19 - Sep 20 with 14516 viewsCateLeBonR

3 points occasionally :)
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:26 - Sep 20 with 14461 viewsconnell10

Make the concourses bigger and increase the seating leg room.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:26 - Sep 20 with 14461 viewsTonto

As a transport planner by profession I need to nip.one suggestion I've seen in the bud. There isn't any realisyic chance of permanently blocking off South Africa Road to build on it. Its a bus route and needed to provide accesaibilty into much of the white city estate.

Also rmemeber you can't go up too much as it would block the light, so the South Africa Road stand is probably as high as its going to get.

It's a very restricted site.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:31 - Sep 20 with 14430 viewseastside_r

Dig down?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:36 - Sep 20 with 14386 viewsRs_Holy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:26 - Sep 20 by Tonto

As a transport planner by profession I need to nip.one suggestion I've seen in the bud. There isn't any realisyic chance of permanently blocking off South Africa Road to build on it. Its a bus route and needed to provide accesaibilty into much of the white city estate.

Also rmemeber you can't go up too much as it would block the light, so the South Africa Road stand is probably as high as its going to get.

It's a very restricted site.

maybe this is the 'talking to the council' comment made by Ruben at the forum the other night...
Look at the view from some of the houses near the Aviva stadium in Dublin...

If a new SA Stand was all glassy and transparent (and quite frankly more attractive than the current stand ) it might be more palatable to residents and the council?
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 13:37]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:44 - Sep 20 with 14358 viewsstowmarketrange

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:19 - Sep 20 by CateLeBonR

3 points occasionally :)

Bigger goals at the loft end might be the way to go.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:47 - Sep 20 with 14332 viewsterryb

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:44 - Sep 20 by stowmarketrange

Bigger goals at the loft end might be the way to go.

Only if we can change them back to normal when we're defending the LR end!
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:49 - Sep 20 with 14311 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:36 - Sep 20 by Rs_Holy

maybe this is the 'talking to the council' comment made by Ruben at the forum the other night...

If a new SA Stand was all glassy and transparent (and quite frankly more attractive than the current stand ) it might be more palatable to residents and the council?

That stand is only glass because there's nothing behind it, maybe ten rows of seats. Here's a photo of it from inside.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:50 - Sep 20 with 14300 viewsBAWHoops

I actually think the key phrase was 'we rarely fill it'. Wouldn't surprise me if they cut capacity but increase corporate.

Could seem them knocking down SAR and rebuilding it with 3/4 corporate (a bit like the new stand at Fulham).
Other than that not sure what else. Perhaps rebuild the school end, make it nice and put families in there and shift away fans to half of Ellerslie.

So then capacities could look like this

SAR - 4k (with majority corporate/club)
School - 2k
Stanley Bowles - 4k (half for away fans)
The Loft - 3.5k (all rail seating in Lower Loft)

So a 13.5k capacity stadium with a swanky corporate area and a new stand behind the goal

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:01 - Sep 20 with 14224 viewsRs_Holy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:49 - Sep 20 by BrianMcCarthy

That stand is only glass because there's nothing behind it, maybe ten rows of seats. Here's a photo of it from inside.

fair point Brian ... but some houses are directly behind one of the main stands!

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3341269,-6.2281793,3a,76.4y,353.93h,103.62t/data
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:10 - Sep 20 with 14169 viewsDavieQPR

All I can see is the offices moving to Heston and an internal refurbishment. Altering stands would mean closing roads, , extra commercial traffic, noise,loss of income ,etc. All for no commercial benefit.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:12 - Sep 20 with 14140 viewsRs_Holy

Here's what I think .... (This is actually a cut and paste from the Linford Christie thread. I'm not qualified, so feel free to say 'Pa! You'll never ever be able to do that in the 21st century' ... 'this is way too ambitious' etc etc).

The School end bit is optional but I think as a minimum any longish term stay at Loftus Road should involve upgrading the 2 main stands!

Re-Build the SA Road Stand as big as poss. Lots of glass/clear plastic to allow 'right for light' for the White City flats. Remove the executive boxes from this Stand and make it as big as possible. 2 or maybe 3 overlapping tiers if in any way possible.

The Stan Bowles stand is a Problem. You cant go up or back because it would overhang peoples back gardens and that would never get approval. So the solution is to have a few rows of seats at the front (as per current Paddocks) then have a double decker of boxes at the back... Similar to one of the stands at Palarse (less seats, and boxes a lot lower tho... I think the Stan Bowles stand has enough height to accommodate this).

The Loft end would remain as it is. I know there are those who don't like the cramped nature of the Loft but the larger SA Stand should have capacity for any of those wanting more leg room.

Buy the School (or part of the School) and do what Forest have done with their away stand (the one with NFFC written on it)...( it would be a mirror image in our case)

So we loose a bit of capacity in the Stan Bowles but double the revenue from the Prawn Sandwich brigade.
School end could have about an extra 1500-ish capacity (with all seats covered)
Potentially 3 Tier SA Road Stand would have around an extra 4000 (extra tier on top and deeper lower tier because of boxes moving to the Stanley Bowles).

So I reckon 22 -23000 capacity, extra corporate and elimination of restricted views... All seats would now be covered apart from the first 7-8 rows of the Loft....

I'm now going for a lie down.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 14:39]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:32 - Sep 20 with 14077 viewspaulhoop2

To be honest for a while now I’ve advocated to sharing with Fulham would it really be that bad ?

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:36 - Sep 20 with 14034 viewsNorthernr

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:31 - Sep 20 by eastside_r

Dig down?

I'm pleased you suggested this mate I was coming on here to say the same thing. Wonder if it's been considered? Dig it right down into the water table I reckon.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:36 - Sep 20 with 14027 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:32 - Sep 20 by paulhoop2

To be honest for a while now I’ve advocated to sharing with Fulham would it really be that bad ?

Well, we'd all need to buy some nice new clothes.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:41 - Sep 20 with 14004 viewsNorthernr

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:36 - Sep 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Well, we'd all need to buy some nice new clothes.

I bet they make you use plastic glasses in and around the infinity pool, so a no from me.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:41 - Sep 20 with 13981 viewsRs_Holy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:32 - Sep 20 by paulhoop2

Can we share with Brentford instead? .. its easier to get to!
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:47 - Sep 20 with 13955 viewsthemodfather

mergers and ground sharing caused near anarchy before, i would dread it now unless to save club because we would be the "beggars" now and have to meet any terms thrown into the dog bowl.
redevelopment of one stand , using cantilever and as much plastic/glass as possible for light to buildings nearby has to be the answer . that or they allow more standing in terrace areas in lower stands to get capacity to around 22k,
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:50 - Sep 20 with 13947 viewsWokingR

There is absolutely no way we could risk having a glass stand.
Did anyone see Smyth's cross last night from the Ellerslie touchline straight into the South Africa road stand.
He'd be smashing windows every game.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:54 - Sep 20 with 13916 viewsjoe90

We need a 16k stadium with no restricted views and bit more leg room.

Anything else is a bonus.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:57 - Sep 20 with 13903 viewsMedwayR

IMO to maximise Loftus Road we'd need to start from scratch and have only 2 stands: SA Road and School End, presuming we could obtain the land the school is on and move the pitch tight up behind the housing.

Doing this would get around the restrictions of building up to the properties surrounding the stadium. The Loft End and SB stand turnstiles could still be utilised with a walkway surrounding the pitch where necessary to allow access to the stands. In addition we could maybe build up to the road/pathway on SA.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 15:00]

Poll: Who’s better?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:03 - Sep 20 with 13885 viewsQPRConor2000

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:50 - Sep 20 by BAWHoops

I actually think the key phrase was 'we rarely fill it'. Wouldn't surprise me if they cut capacity but increase corporate.

Could seem them knocking down SAR and rebuilding it with 3/4 corporate (a bit like the new stand at Fulham).
Other than that not sure what else. Perhaps rebuild the school end, make it nice and put families in there and shift away fans to half of Ellerslie.

So then capacities could look like this

SAR - 4k (with majority corporate/club)
School - 2k
Stanley Bowles - 4k (half for away fans)
The Loft - 3.5k (all rail seating in Lower Loft)

So a 13.5k capacity stadium with a swanky corporate area and a new stand behind the goal

I actually can see something like this happening or very similar.

As for away fans, I would not be against moving them to Ellerslie Road as part of the revamp as it would offer more flexibility than now, you also dont have to offer half the stand for league games as you only have to give 10% for League and League Cup games, so 1350 could be the max we give for that, we could further downscale it to 675 tickets for teams who have low support, but we offer half the stand for FA Cup games.

I agree about the School End perhaps being the new family stand, potentially we buy the school and turn it into an area where the players meet up with young fans before the game? It does help that the players entrance is literally next door.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:04 - Sep 20 with 13878 viewsBostonR

Well, I’m no architect or urban developer,but I am baffled by this new approach. The cost of running the stadium must be enormous. It’s dilapidated and is not covered by normal planned preventative maintenance regimes, given its current condition.
If you were to do a proper site facilities and engineering condition review, I would estimate that you are looking at circa £30M plus, just to get the estate in good working order. Everything from an FM perspective needs overhauling and that’s without touching the infrastructure.
The only possibility I can think of is the demolition of the SA and Ellerslie Rd stands and a total re-design and rebuild incorporating new executive boxes. Alternatively, buy the school land and re-shift the whole stadium.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:05 - Sep 20 with 13827 viewsNewBee

Having been in Lansdowne, both old and new, I don't think the actual stand (seating area) is any higher than the terrace which preceded it:

(Top of pic)

In fact, I think that all that glasswork you see is just needed to hold up the roof which they needed when that (tiny) stand became seated.

Meaning that even if something like that were permitted at LR, there would still be no increase in capacity, more likely a decrease.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:06 - Sep 20 with 13861 viewsHaslingtonR

Just a small point. I seat on the back row of the Paddock, the rooms behind me are not always occupied. Is there any evidence to say we would actually be able to sell more corporate seats?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024