Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road renovation/revamp 13:14 - Sep 20 with 56617 viewsQPRConor2000

Given the news we heard this week from Ruben that LR is now more likely to be redeveloped over a new stadium, I wanted to open up a specific thread for it.

Any ideas on how we can improve LR.

NOTE: Serious ideas only.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:45 - Sep 20 with 3225 viewskingsburyR

I'm 5'8 so the seats are fine.

I have a seat in the Upper Loft so the corporate can stay as is.

But bloody bottles of pishy Carlsberg is too much to take!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:53 - Sep 20 with 3192 viewsBostonR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:19 - Sep 20 by NewBee

I genuinely don't wish to offend, but might their "long-term commitment" just be a simple recognition of the fact they're stuck with the club, since there's no-one out there who would take it off their hands?

At least for a sum which would clear the club's debts, never mind give the owners some sort of return on their investment to date?

And even if they were to absorb all the debts themselves, and give the club away for a nominal sum, would anyone want to take on a club which is losing £1m a month as it is; which needs huge investment in players but which would not be permitted by FFP; which has little realistic prospect of promotion to the PL as things stand; and which needs a massive sum (maybe £200m?) spent on a new stadium, or a complete rebuild of LR which could cost nearly as much?

Seems to me that with their apparent disinclination to move to a new stadium, plus their apparent unwillingness to do much to LR beyond the minimum necessary, your owners don't have any long term plans for the club beyond keeping going from month to month.

Yes, they did buy a new training ground, but even that is on land which should retain its value regardless and besides, they still asked the fans to part fund it via a bond. While when it came to renaming the Stan Bowles Stand, there too they wanted the fans to stump up a sum which for them (owners) was absolute peanuts.

And yes, "What about the million quid a month they keep spending?" I hear you ask. It seems to me that if they didn't do so, the club would simply go bust, meaning that it would be worth even less than it is now.

But maybe they'll prove me wrong and spend proper money on the stadium, to help get the club back up where you want it to be.

Keep up. They have absorbed all the debts. You are trolling us and despite your rhetoric you’re sort of hoping we go bust.
No one is buying QPR in its current financial state so as the owners confirmed they are bank rolling us.
The training ground was partially paid for by a club bond which gives a high return when we reach the PL again so a good investment opportunity for Rs fans which was taken up 100%. These funding options are used regularly so this wasn’t the owners fleecing the fans.
You’re having your day in the sun after 50yrs of doing feck all. We’ve done ok in the 60’s, 70’s , 80’s and the 90’s. We’re a patient bunch as our the owners.
Our time will come again.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:38 - Sep 20 with 3008 viewsNewBee

@BostonR

"Keep up. They have absorbed all the debts"
In which case their losses have been crystalised in the event of their selling, since any new buyer is certainly not going to compensate them for those losses.

"You are trolling us and despite your rhetoric you’re sort of hoping we go bust. "
Just because you feel as though you're being targeted, and cannot come up with any direct answers to the points I'm making, doesn't make it "trolling". As for my "hoping", you're wrong. (I wouldn't mind seeing Chelsea go bust, mind)

"No one is buying QPR in its current financial state so as the owners confirmed they are bank rolling us."
I'm not quite sure what that means, but my point is that no-one is even bidding for QPR, never mind buying. And this is surely because the club is having to be bankrolled merely to stay in business, with no sign of that changing, either eg by promotion, or the acquisition of a new stadium .

"The training ground was partially paid for by a club bond which gives a high return when we reach the PL again so a good investment opportunity for Rs fans which was taken up 100%."
"When"?
Anyhow, re the 100%, no-one is doubting the commitment of R's fans, it's the commitment of your owners I'm questioning.

"These funding options are used regularly so this wasn’t the owners fleecing the fans."
I never said you were being "fleeced", rather I was wondering why such incredibly wealthy owners didn't just pay for it themselves? I mean, it's not as if they'd miss a few more millions.
Even more so with the appeal to fund the renaming of the Stan Bowles, which was such a paltry sum I personally thought was mean of them even to ask.

"You’re having your day in the sun after 50yrs of doing feck all. We’ve done ok in the 60’s, 70’s , 80’s and the 90’s. We’re a patient bunch as our the owners. Our time will come again. "
Never denied any of that. In fact, I've never even referred to it.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 22:05 - Sep 20 with 2856 viewsQPRConor2000

I wonder if the Army Territorial Centre will be part of any development?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 22:29 - Sep 20 with 2789 viewsNorthernr

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 22:05 - Sep 20 by QPRConor2000

I wonder if the Army Territorial Centre will be part of any development?

Makes sense, given most of Begovic's kicks already end up there.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 22:37 - Sep 20 with 2750 viewsQPRConor2000

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 22:29 - Sep 20 by Northernr

Your telling me
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:19 - Sep 20 with 2664 viewskensalriser

That's what happens when you get in Peter Kay as goalkeeping coach.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:28 - Sep 20 with 2649 viewsBoston

Actually thought the Air Force was involved.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 00:08 - Sep 21 with 2623 viewsDejR_vu

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:10 - Sep 20 by DavieQPR

All I can see is the offices moving to Heston and an internal refurbishment. Altering stands would mean closing roads, , extra commercial traffic, noise,loss of income ,etc. All for no commercial benefit.

This.

RG was quite clear that the issue was only using the stadium 25 times a year. That, to me, says they are looking at ways of renovating to generate non-matchday revenue. I'm not expecting much that will enhance the matchday experience.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 02:12 - Sep 21 with 2568 viewsBoston

A sliding / openable pitch, revealing an Olympic size swimming pool. Rubber ducky.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 04:18 - Sep 21 with 2539 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:41 - Sep 20 by 89_50

I wonder if there are any future plans to expand the amount of rail seating in the stadium.

From memory, the type of seating we installed recently provides slightly more room than existing seating.

To be able to do that to as much of the ground as is allowed could be a good way of improving at least one aspect of the fan experience.

Of course, the problem with more RS, is how you literally 'cater' for the additional fans?

If our current infrastructure requires excessive cheek by jowel queuing for a halftime cuppa, a gypsies - itself faster-flowing literally then what female fans have to endure to use the toilet - and then the H&S concerns of adding more fans to the mix, will make the already compact Loftus Road experience more: unpleasant, unsanitary and unsafe.

Only possible thing I could envisage: building back SAR over SR itself like how United built the stand to the left of the SE. Fact is. I think we've missed the boat and we're going to remain at LR for the longterm. An outcome some of us older dogs have accepted as likely since the idea of moving grounds was first mooted decades ago.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 06:57 - Sep 21 with 2479 viewsNorthernr

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 00:08 - Sep 21 by DejR_vu

This.

RG was quite clear that the issue was only using the stadium 25 times a year. That, to me, says they are looking at ways of renovating to generate non-matchday revenue. I'm not expecting much that will enhance the matchday experience.

Yeh the post further up about us talking about new stands and Ruben probably thinking about knocking a few walls through is spot on IMO.

Remember that later on in the forum when they were talking about the PA system hey said it needs rewiring, which will be more than £100k, so they're not going to bother doing it. That doesn't immediately sound like a club that's about to complete a £100m property deal for all the houses on Ellerslie Road does it?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 07:03 - Sep 21 with 2471 viewsPaddyhoops

He did improve the other night mind.
Left his 50 p shaped boots at home.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 07:16 - Sep 21 with 2434 viewsGloucs_R

Buy the school, redevelop the school end with a new lay out, less capacity for away fans, more executive boxes.

Extend SA road back to the actual road.

Still the same 💩 leg room in LR and ER.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 08:45 - Sep 21 with 2339 viewsRs_Holy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 06:57 - Sep 21 by Northernr

Yeh the post further up about us talking about new stands and Ruben probably thinking about knocking a few walls through is spot on IMO.

Remember that later on in the forum when they were talking about the PA system hey said it needs rewiring, which will be more than £100k, so they're not going to bother doing it. That doesn't immediately sound like a club that's about to complete a £100m property deal for all the houses on Ellerslie Road does it?

Do the club need to talk to the council for 2 years about knocking a few walls through?... I think we are all examining Rubens comments and trying to do the detective work on them...
So bulleted points of what he said in answering the original stadium question...

* Working with the council very closely
* Very supportive over the last 2 years
* Will continue great discussions with them
* (at the end of the discussions) will reveal a lot more of how we want to re-develop or further enhance this current site.

Working very closely with the council for 2 years... to knock a few walls through?...

(Actually thinking about it that might be the case? It took Woking Council 9 months to add a mini roundabout to a road in Shearwater! The wheels do move very slowly these days in the UK).
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 12:01]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 08:54 - Sep 21 with 2308 viewsrobith

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:41 - Sep 20 by 89_50

I wonder if there are any future plans to expand the amount of rail seating in the stadium.

From memory, the type of seating we installed recently provides slightly more room than existing seating.

To be able to do that to as much of the ground as is allowed could be a good way of improving at least one aspect of the fan experience.

It is a great irony that my standing "seat" now has better leg room than my old sitting one in the paddocks
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:35 - Sep 21 with 2156 viewsPunteR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 06:57 - Sep 21 by Northernr

Is one of the players dad's putting in a quote to fit some speakers..? Which I thought was quite funny..

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:48 - Sep 21 with 2121 viewsQPRSteve

I've heard that we are considering using the technology invented for the TARDIS to give us a 55,000 all seater stadium.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:57 - Sep 21 with 2102 viewsToast_R

I had a conference at AFC Wimbledon yesterday. Huge function hall room and and very nice facilities all catered by their staff and all overlooking the pitch.

I'd imagine they make pretty good bunce from that over the term of a season.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:56 - Sep 21 with 2010 viewsHoopsie

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:00 - Sep 20 by QPRConor2000

https://calfordseaden.com/project/qpr-stadium-loftus-road/

https://www.michaeldrain.com/project/qpr-stadium-loftus-road

talking of the revamp, does anyone remember this?

Yes I do

I won’t be surprised they are now looking at this as one of the options moving forward

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:08 - Sep 21 with 1994 viewsRs_Holy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:56 - Sep 21 by Hoopsie

Yes I do

I won’t be surprised they are now looking at this as one of the options moving forward

I really like the concept but surely the Ellerslie Road Stand is a non starter because of height? Scale it down a bit and I think it could be a possible.
The SA Road Stand looks achievable but I would rather see the double decker of corporate boxes changed to a seated stand.

edit - Worth noting that in this design the Loft and School End Stands look unchanged
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 12:09]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:31 - Sep 21 with 1909 viewsHoopsie

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 08:45 - Sep 21 by Rs_Holy

Do the club need to talk to the council for 2 years about knocking a few walls through?... I think we are all examining Rubens comments and trying to do the detective work on them...
So bulleted points of what he said in answering the original stadium question...

* Working with the council very closely
* Very supportive over the last 2 years
* Will continue great discussions with them
* (at the end of the discussions) will reveal a lot more of how we want to re-develop or further enhance this current site.

Working very closely with the council for 2 years... to knock a few walls through?...

(Actually thinking about it that might be the case? It took Woking Council 9 months to add a mini roundabout to a road in Shearwater! The wheels do move very slowly these days in the UK).
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 12:01]

It is amusing to think they had been speaking to the council for 2 years just to knock down a few walls.

If we are already speaking to the council, for 2 years no less, it must be about issues bigger than just an internal reno

Issues such as:

- planning restrictions and design guidelines, local council planning strategy
- local traffic and surrounding amenities - issues of parking and service routes that an (weekly) event centre will generate
- impact on the neighbouring housing estates and the local community that an (weekly) event centre is likely to affect
- possible expansion of the LR site (in buying up the school land)
- discussion of the possible commercial uses other than stadium uses that requires a change of zoning or to obtain a permit eg boutique hotel on the site (if we buy the school?)

I am curious about the timeline of the redevelopment talks with council as for 2 years we are pushing the council for support on Linford Christie and this seems to come to grinding halt last 6 months or so. Perhaps they were also using that time to negotiate on LR (sell in exchange for LC site) or develop LR as a plan B?

I won’t beat the board for now settling for LR redevelopment (despite the narrative mainly from Hoos of “new stadium or bust” in the last decade and the old oak “debacle”) as it all seemed with the ending messages in the Linford Christie thread we were at our wits end to name a likely site for the new stadium.

For history, for local community, for continuity, nothing beats Loftus Road. Now, we have to just make it commercially viable and sustainable for the long term future of the club. The owners acknowledged that.

I am on board

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:58 - Sep 21 with 1829 viewsQPRConor2000

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:31 - Sep 21 by Hoopsie

It is amusing to think they had been speaking to the council for 2 years just to knock down a few walls.

If we are already speaking to the council, for 2 years no less, it must be about issues bigger than just an internal reno

Issues such as:

- planning restrictions and design guidelines, local council planning strategy
- local traffic and surrounding amenities - issues of parking and service routes that an (weekly) event centre will generate
- impact on the neighbouring housing estates and the local community that an (weekly) event centre is likely to affect
- possible expansion of the LR site (in buying up the school land)
- discussion of the possible commercial uses other than stadium uses that requires a change of zoning or to obtain a permit eg boutique hotel on the site (if we buy the school?)

I am curious about the timeline of the redevelopment talks with council as for 2 years we are pushing the council for support on Linford Christie and this seems to come to grinding halt last 6 months or so. Perhaps they were also using that time to negotiate on LR (sell in exchange for LC site) or develop LR as a plan B?

I won’t beat the board for now settling for LR redevelopment (despite the narrative mainly from Hoos of “new stadium or bust” in the last decade and the old oak “debacle”) as it all seemed with the ending messages in the Linford Christie thread we were at our wits end to name a likely site for the new stadium.

For history, for local community, for continuity, nothing beats Loftus Road. Now, we have to just make it commercially viable and sustainable for the long term future of the club. The owners acknowledged that.

I am on board

I agree.

I think in hindsight, Ruben and Amit are right to stick with LR and work with the council to see what we can do with the current site.

You would not be talking to the council for 2 years simply for a minor renovation.

Apparently, and it might to do with why the club have been discussing with the council about LR, there is a major redevelopment happening soon on the White City Estate called White City Central, which would provide 268 new homes, with half being affordable, so potentially it could open the chance for us to maybe buy up some land and expand the footprint of LR, with the club working closely with the council on moving homeowners there.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:10 - Sep 21 with 1803 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:58 - Sep 21 by QPRConor2000

I agree.

I think in hindsight, Ruben and Amit are right to stick with LR and work with the council to see what we can do with the current site.

You would not be talking to the council for 2 years simply for a minor renovation.

Apparently, and it might to do with why the club have been discussing with the council about LR, there is a major redevelopment happening soon on the White City Estate called White City Central, which would provide 268 new homes, with half being affordable, so potentially it could open the chance for us to maybe buy up some land and expand the footprint of LR, with the club working closely with the council on moving homeowners there.

I admire your optimism, Conor.

Personally, based on their track record, I can't bring myself to believe anything the owners say when it comes to this issue. Monday's announcement, where they talked to the fans about talking to the Council and about not talking to the fans about not talking to the Council, is surely the most absurd newspeak to date.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:15 - Sep 21 with 1776 viewsMonkey_Roots

Any chance at all that 'we're not looking anywhere else' was a negotiating tactic?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024