Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road renovation/revamp 13:14 - Sep 20 with 56595 viewsQPRConor2000

Given the news we heard this week from Ruben that LR is now more likely to be redeveloped over a new stadium, I wanted to open up a specific thread for it.

Any ideas on how we can improve LR.

NOTE: Serious ideas only.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:15 - Sep 22 with 3254 viewsRs_Holy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 21:46 - Sep 21 by nadera78

It's worth clarifying that those are two different proposals.

The one by Michael Drain dates back to Briatore's ownership and really just matches that man's ideas - small stadium charging fans a fortune and then whacking a load of exec boxes on top to do likewise. But there's no way on earth you'd ever get planning permission for 3 tiers of boxes above the SBS, it would double the height of the stand and completely overshadow the houses. It's delusional, just like Briatore.

The Calford Seaden proposal, on the face of it, is much more interesting. They took the basic work Michael Drain had done (ie site measurements, existing structures, etc, etc) and then looked at how they could reconfigure everything. What makes these guys more interesting to me is two things: 1) they've worked with Wimbledon, Brentford and Watford, and 2) when you look at this more recent link they say "Loftus Road, duration 2019 onwards".
https://calfordseaden.com/wp-content/uploads/Extended-Case-study-Stadiums-Experi

However, given everything we've seen from the owners over the past decade I think other posters have got it spot on when they say the club are looking at removing some office space and opening a new lounge or something.

i get the paranoia based on all the stuff mentioned in this and previous threads. But I go back to the point of does it really take 2+ years of talks with the council to add a lounge to an existing structure?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:57 - Sep 22 with 3188 viewsnadera78

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:15 - Sep 22 by Rs_Holy

i get the paranoia based on all the stuff mentioned in this and previous threads. But I go back to the point of does it really take 2+ years of talks with the council to add a lounge to an existing structure?

It's not paranoia, it's observed behaviour of the owners over a 12+ year period.

But, I hope they do take this opportunity (because it's unlikely to ever come around again) to do something serious and long-lasting.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:00 - Sep 22 with 3174 viewsdaveB

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 19:21 - Sep 21 by stevec

There’s no parking in the area, plenty of bars restaurants and conference facilities with far better transport links all over London and I can’t imagine too many women being over impressed with a night out next to the White City estate.

The owners need to think outside the box as bars and restaurants are a bit old hat and are renowned for being financially unviable.

A hotel on the school site fully equipped for asylum seekers would be a far better option, fulfilling the community aspect, getting the local Council onside and at the same time be financially lucrative for the club. The future for clubs like ours is linking the football to a profitable non football commercial business and as mentioned there’s cash and kudos guaranteed in what is clearly going to be a growth industry for decades to come.

tube station is 5 minutes walk. So many offices now around the stadium. ITV in at white City now, Loreal moved in recently as well and not that many options for food and drink outside westfield that don't require a second mortgage

Hotel isn't a bad shout to be fair
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:06 - Sep 22 with 3134 viewswombat

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:00 - Sep 22 by daveB

tube station is 5 minutes walk. So many offices now around the stadium. ITV in at white City now, Loreal moved in recently as well and not that many options for food and drink outside westfield that don't require a second mortgage

Hotel isn't a bad shout to be fair

maybe the talks are based on moving the jack tizzard school somewhere, without if moving i cant see that much w can do to the ground to improve capacity and poss extra earning potential .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:38 - Sep 22 with 3042 viewsNW5Hoop

Lot of talk about digging down – but how could this be done?
1/ Massive risk of subsidence to everything around the ground
2/ How would this increase capacity – you can't just put another tier underneath the current stands, I suspect, because of the extra load and because you'd be undermining the foundations.
3/ You can't extend the stands forwards because they're already on top of the pitch.
So as far as I can tell, if the club dug down, they'd have to rebuild all four stands. I'm sure the only way to increase capacity at Loftus Road would be to buy properties.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:44 - Sep 22 with 3030 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:38 - Sep 22 by NW5Hoop

2/ How would this increase capacity – you can't just put another tier underneath the current stands, I suspect, because of the extra load and because you'd be undermining the foundations.
3/ You can't extend the stands forwards because they're already on top of the pitch.
So as far as I can tell, if the club dug down, they'd have to rebuild all four stands. I'm sure the only way to increase capacity at Loftus Road would be to buy properties.

This debate isn't actually happening again is it?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:52 - Sep 22 with 3012 viewsnadera78

I don't think anyone's talking about digging down
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:58 - Sep 22 with 2991 viewsQPRConor2000

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:52 - Sep 22 by nadera78

digging down is totally out of the question.
Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:03 - Sep 22 with 2974 viewsNorthernr

Boooooooooo.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:15 - Sep 22 with 2933 viewsQPRConor2000

you wouldn't be talking to the council for 2 years about simply knocking down some office walls, it would suggest something more major might be happening.

Also I think that housing development in the White City Estate might have something to do with it too, its certainly not out the question that the Council and the Club maybe are talking about extending the footprint of the current site and maybe the Council are generally supportive of the idea of doing it.

But that might be me being too optimistic.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:24 - Sep 22 with 2905 viewsFDC

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:31 - Sep 22 with 2872 viewsCateLeBonR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:58 - Sep 22 by QPRConor2000

Scoop disagrees.

Can we fix it? Yes we can!
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:32 - Sep 22 with 2857 viewsRs_Holy

...and as has been mentioned before if we maintain the current footprint we would end up with a tennis court instead of a football pitch.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:41 - Sep 22 with 2835 viewsMick_S

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:58 - Sep 22 by QPRConor2000

You’ve got to get up to get down.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:47 - Sep 22 with 2817 viewsHoopsie

Even if digging down is an option the cost will be prohibitive

But I get it, it is a nice dig at the subject matter

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:51 - Sep 22 with 2791 viewsjoe90

All I care about is a little more leg room and getting rid of the restricted views.

I don’t care about the club making revenue outside of match day or more corporate boxes. That’s for the club to worry about, not me. They may well need to do these things but none of it will improve my match day experience.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2023 12:07]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:38 - Sep 22 with 2660 viewsQPRConor2000

I personally think the idea is to probably rebuild the current stadium to a modern standard, that way you are making it more attractive for non-matchday use and for other functions too, even if the capacity goes down to 15k-16k.

You wouldnt be talking to the council for 2 years purely to just to repurpose an office space.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:55 - Sep 22 with 2620 viewsnadera78

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:38 - Sep 22 by QPRConor2000

I personally think the idea is to probably rebuild the current stadium to a modern standard, that way you are making it more attractive for non-matchday use and for other functions too, even if the capacity goes down to 15k-16k.

You wouldnt be talking to the council for 2 years purely to just to repurpose an office space.

Deliberately reducing capacity would be the worst decision these owners have made - and that's saying something. I can't believe for a second they would do that.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:07 - Sep 22 with 2567 viewsCamberleyR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:55 - Sep 22 by nadera78

Deliberately reducing capacity would be the worst decision these owners have made - and that's saying something. I can't believe for a second they would do that.

Agree. If they are going to seriously think about redeveloping LR, the capacity has to increase any way it can if it's physically possible as there would be no future in a stadium holding 16k even if it was all shiny new and had seats that were suitable for anyone other than Ronnie Corbett.

If we're reducing the capacity we may as well just leave LR as it is until it falls down. 16k would leave us with the second smallest stadium currently in the Championship, currently we have the third smallest behind Rotherham & Plymouth.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:14 - Sep 22 with 2531 viewsQPRConor2000

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:07 - Sep 22 by CamberleyR

Agree. If they are going to seriously think about redeveloping LR, the capacity has to increase any way it can if it's physically possible as there would be no future in a stadium holding 16k even if it was all shiny new and had seats that were suitable for anyone other than Ronnie Corbett.

If we're reducing the capacity we may as well just leave LR as it is until it falls down. 16k would leave us with the second smallest stadium currently in the Championship, currently we have the third smallest behind Rotherham & Plymouth.

Just a personal thought I had.

I think I mentioned further up the thread that there is a major regeneration of the White City Estate being planned and that there is going to be 286 new homes as part of it, with half being owned intially by the council and the other half being affordable.

Maybe the plan is that the council and the club are working to buy the houses up around the LR site without upsetting the community and offer to move them to the new homes? Perhaps this is what they are planning?

You also got the Jack Tizzard School as well that we have to buy up too, I think its not beyond the realms of possibility that they end up going to where the Army Territorial Centre is now which is a bigger footprint for them.

So maybe this is why we are staying at LR, purely because there might be an chance to expand the footprint of LR.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 22:31 - Sep 22 with 2288 viewsjohncharles

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:12 - Sep 20 by Rs_Holy

Here's what I think .... (This is actually a cut and paste from the Linford Christie thread. I'm not qualified, so feel free to say 'Pa! You'll never ever be able to do that in the 21st century' ... 'this is way too ambitious' etc etc).

The School end bit is optional but I think as a minimum any longish term stay at Loftus Road should involve upgrading the 2 main stands!

Re-Build the SA Road Stand as big as poss. Lots of glass/clear plastic to allow 'right for light' for the White City flats. Remove the executive boxes from this Stand and make it as big as possible. 2 or maybe 3 overlapping tiers if in any way possible.

The Stan Bowles stand is a Problem. You cant go up or back because it would overhang peoples back gardens and that would never get approval. So the solution is to have a few rows of seats at the front (as per current Paddocks) then have a double decker of boxes at the back... Similar to one of the stands at Palarse (less seats, and boxes a lot lower tho... I think the Stan Bowles stand has enough height to accommodate this).

The Loft end would remain as it is. I know there are those who don't like the cramped nature of the Loft but the larger SA Stand should have capacity for any of those wanting more leg room.

Buy the School (or part of the School) and do what Forest have done with their away stand (the one with NFFC written on it)...( it would be a mirror image in our case)

So we loose a bit of capacity in the Stan Bowles but double the revenue from the Prawn Sandwich brigade.
School end could have about an extra 1500-ish capacity (with all seats covered)
Potentially 3 Tier SA Road Stand would have around an extra 4000 (extra tier on top and deeper lower tier because of boxes moving to the Stanley Bowles).

So I reckon 22 -23000 capacity, extra corporate and elimination of restricted views... All seats would now be covered apart from the first 7-8 rows of the Loft....

I'm now going for a lie down.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 14:39]

Great ideas which I got so carried away which I down arrowed by mistake doh!

Strong and stable my arse.

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 01:10 - Sep 23 with 2154 viewsHoopsie

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:14 - Sep 22 by QPRConor2000

Just a personal thought I had.

I think I mentioned further up the thread that there is a major regeneration of the White City Estate being planned and that there is going to be 286 new homes as part of it, with half being owned intially by the council and the other half being affordable.

Maybe the plan is that the council and the club are working to buy the houses up around the LR site without upsetting the community and offer to move them to the new homes? Perhaps this is what they are planning?

You also got the Jack Tizzard School as well that we have to buy up too, I think its not beyond the realms of possibility that they end up going to where the Army Territorial Centre is now which is a bigger footprint for them.

So maybe this is why we are staying at LR, purely because there might be an chance to expand the footprint of LR.

Same thoughts, maybe the council is talking with the club about the aforementioned white city estate residential development. QPR has successfully completed a residential development in partnership at Oakland’s Old Oak Common Lane in the Borough:

5 Oct 2017 — The £175 million scheme is a joint venture between housing association Genesis and Championship football club Queens Park Rangers. The project is to deliver 605 new homes, of which 40% will be affordable and a new 40,000 ft2 creative hub aimed at attracting high tech firms. Completed July 2021

Under no illusion but what we know of the Council and the board there must be mutual interest that benefits both for them to come to the table for a discussion, 2 years long at that (note this goes back to 2021)

I reckon any planning development for LR must be carried out with the support of the council for it to be successful so this small piece of news we have is an eye opener for me

As mentioned prior, internal renovations I don’t think you will have to discuss 2 years long with council to demolish a few walls, sounds like something significant
[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 2:21]

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 08:02 - Sep 23 with 1973 viewsQPR_Jim

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 01:10 - Sep 23 by Hoopsie

Same thoughts, maybe the council is talking with the club about the aforementioned white city estate residential development. QPR has successfully completed a residential development in partnership at Oakland’s Old Oak Common Lane in the Borough:

5 Oct 2017 — The £175 million scheme is a joint venture between housing association Genesis and Championship football club Queens Park Rangers. The project is to deliver 605 new homes, of which 40% will be affordable and a new 40,000 ft2 creative hub aimed at attracting high tech firms. Completed July 2021

Under no illusion but what we know of the Council and the board there must be mutual interest that benefits both for them to come to the table for a discussion, 2 years long at that (note this goes back to 2021)

I reckon any planning development for LR must be carried out with the support of the council for it to be successful so this small piece of news we have is an eye opener for me

As mentioned prior, internal renovations I don’t think you will have to discuss 2 years long with council to demolish a few walls, sounds like something significant

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/housing/building-homes-and-communities/white-city-centra

"Quick facts about the White City Central redevelopment

No existing homes will be demolished as part of the programme; it proposes only to build new homes, community facilities, and new outdoor spaces.

The council is the freeholder of the entire development site and is the lead developer for the programme. This means that there are no private developers involved in the project."

Doesn't look like we have anything to do with that development, although it would be a much better site for our stadium if we could provide the services/buildings they need on the LR site.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:13 - Sep 23 with 1843 viewsJevlar

Just as long as the redevelopment improves the water pressure in the toilets…
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:56 - Sep 23 with 1763 viewsQPRConor2000

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 01:10 - Sep 23 by Hoopsie

This is why I think its points to us potentially buying up some homes around LR in order to expand the footprint of the stadium with the support of the council.

like you say you wouldn't be talking to the council for 2 years simply to knock through some office walls.

Realistically, you could buy up the whole of Imre Close, the Jack Tizzard School, all the flats in and around the School and the houses behind the SBS and you would be working with a 8.0-8.5 acre site

I could then see us then knocking down the current stadium and then basically rebuilding it to a modern stand, with the rebuilt LR having a capacity of around 20,000

I suspect that might be the route the owners might be exploring.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 12:33]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024