Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 21:39 - Nov 4 with 42316 viewsstainrods_elbow

Really hope we can move him on in Jan and bring in one or two players who can really help the reshaped project, starting with breaking with years of tradition and actually investing in a striker who scores goals. He's going nowhere at QPR and just doesn't, and never will, cut the mustard. I'm afraid. He's a ram that doesn't batter, his buckle doesn't swash, and his goalscoring instincts are not so much predatory as borderline nugatory. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Millwall, say, came back in for him, he'd miraculously metamorphose into a 1 in 3 merchant who plays every week, but hopefully we'd by then be past caring. I don't want a player leading our line who scores the odd header from an occasional Chair cross but who seems mainly to care about playing for Scotland.

All being well, MC will have sussed this out in double-quick time and will be reshaping our attacking line with Smyth, Willock and Chair, and a new pivot.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2023 21:43]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Dykes on 10:51 - Nov 6 with 3560 viewsTheChef

Dykes on 08:45 - Nov 5 by gazza1

Come on PRR......he has been pretty poor this season, weak, poor to get into goalscoring positions, controlling the ball and much more. We must sign a forward who is better in the next transfer window. Easy to keep blaming Chair or whoever but Dykes has got to help himself.

As someone has said - why we never sold him for £2 million I will never be able to work out or understand.

Errrrrrrr, when did Millwall offer two million for him??

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Dykes on 10:58 - Nov 6 with 3514 viewsRangersw12

Dykes on 10:51 - Nov 6 by TheChef

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-reject-offer-from-millwall-for-dykes

https://hounslowherald.com/millwall-make-offer-for-qprs-scottish-striker-p22379-
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 11:00]
Dykes on 11:27 - Nov 6 with 3470 viewsgazza1

Dykes on 10:51 - Nov 6 by TheChef

Well, that was the 'chat' on here as far as I recall.......confirmed by W12 Chef.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 11:27]
Dykes on 11:46 - Nov 6 with 3411 viewsTheChef

Dykes on 11:27 - Nov 6 by gazza1

Well, that was the 'chat' on here as far as I recall.......confirmed by W12 Chef.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 11:27]

OK well "potentially worth up to £3 million" - no clarity on how that deal is structured.

Dykes on 12:22 - Nov 6 with 3382 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Dykes on 12:33 - Nov 5 by paulparker

Apart from sheff wed & Rotherham can you name a club that is going to go on a QPR esq bad run and drop because looking at that table I can’t see it

Coventry are giving it a good go to be fair.
Dykes on 13:24 - Nov 6 with 3263 viewsTGRRRSSS

Plymouth I reckon thereabouts
Dykes on 16:13 - Nov 6 with 3111 viewsNortholt_Rs

Dykes on 11:37 - Nov 5 by Rs_Holy

I wasn’t at the game yesterday but watched a live stream. We all know Lyndon is not a prolific striker and isn’t a bull in china shop type of striker either. He will however run all day and covers a lot of ground and is also a good header of the ball in and around the penalty spot.
One thing I think he absolutely must add to his game is the ability to hold onto the ball and allow other players to support him from midfield. There is a tendency for the ball to just bounce off of him, giving possession straight back to the oppo.

My dog runs all day….

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Dykes on 16:13 - Nov 6 with 3108 viewsQPunkR

Dykes on 16:13 - Nov 6 by Northolt_Rs

My dog runs all day….

So does my fridge

QPR - "shit but local"

Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 08:08 - Nov 8 with 2847 viewsHooping_Mad

If he served as understudy of a conman like Hugill I think he could learn the dark arts, but as I can't shake the image of him at Blackpool away on wet November night after recovering from pneumonia so have a soft spot for him even if he is a bit useless.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Dykes on 08:57 - Nov 8 with 2771 viewsRs_Holy

Dykes on 08:08 - Nov 8 by Hooping_Mad

If he served as understudy of a conman like Hugill I think he could learn the dark arts, but as I can't shake the image of him at Blackpool away on wet November night after recovering from pneumonia so have a soft spot for him even if he is a bit useless.

'a soft spot for him even if he is a bit useless' ... I think a lot of us feel the same.
He's the Morris Marina of the strikers in with a Talbot Solara, Chrysler Alpine and a Vauxhall Chevette.
Dykes on 18:35 - Nov 8 with 2585 viewsPaddyhoops

Sadly he hasn’t got any better . I remember Hugill was a figure of fun for some our fans but I loved him. He was an absolute f**king nuisance to defenders and he’s goals per game record was very very decent.
Dykes on his day can’t be a handful but he doesn’t score near enough goals to be of any effect for the team.
Dykes on 18:49 - Nov 8 with 2531 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Didn't one of those Swedish Rs say that MC likes a Dykes type striker up front?

Same as with a lot of our managers, we are looking at it the wrong way. If they are successful elsewhere then the problem lies with us not them and the 'get rid' mentality will never deliver for us.
Dykes on 19:31 - Nov 8 with 2462 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes on 18:35 - Nov 8 by Paddyhoops

Sadly he hasn’t got any better . I remember Hugill was a figure of fun for some our fans but I loved him. He was an absolute f**king nuisance to defenders and he’s goals per game record was very very decent.
Dykes on his day can’t be a handful but he doesn’t score near enough goals to be of any effect for the team.

Big fan of Jordan Hugill as an industrial championship level forward but if he was a figure of fun at ours, I think Northern invented the phrase 'the full Hugill', it was his unerring ability to clear the Upper Loft from a goal-scoring chance in the penalty area,

Scored 1 in 3 at ours but played in a very creative team with Eze when he was getting a good few chances every game so when he missed its not like the current gnashing of teeth and waling as we only create 2 or 3 chances per game,

For a player who went for a reported £10m fee and £20k+ p/wk in wages, his scoring record outside of Eze's QPR has been at best 1 in 4, which very few of our fans would consider very very decent and is very similar if not slightly inferior to Dykes.
Dykes on 19:38 - Nov 8 with 2435 viewsflynnbo

Dykes on 18:35 - Nov 8 by Paddyhoops

Is this the same Hugill who WHU paid a reported £10 million? Can you imagine the reaction if he was also guilty of missing gilt edged chances? Hmm, he never missed so it’s a moot point 😇. Wasn’t he also playing with better players and yet some claim, perhaps correctly, that Dykes somehow plays better for Scotland? I’m sure there’s a link there. Dykes isn’t the best, I agree, but he’s all we have and let’s start saving our ire for the opposition and get behind our own players.
Dykes on 19:39 - Nov 8 with 2427 viewsthemodfather

dykes seems to be rated by scotland, yeah right, he is not an out and out scorer, he holds it up, takes a god penalty, when did we last get one? can header well but needs to be paired, like ferdinand/wegerle allen/stainrod , for all i know he is integral to the squad, much loved and rated. we need goals as goals win games. he is not a 20 a season man.
Dykes on 19:45 - Nov 8 with 2407 viewshubble

No, but he is a 20 thread a season man.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Dykes on 20:05 - Nov 8 with 2352 viewsT_Block

How about we have some patience let him develop score lots of goals and then sell him for £10million plus
Dykes on 20:59 - Nov 8 with 2271 viewsderbyhoop

Dykes on 10:01 - Nov 5 by Loyalitat

Plymouth are managing to score goals regularly, 26 to date, with players who have hardly played at this level before this season. Their centre forward, Ryan Hardie with 6 goals already, is a case in point.

There are players out there and Plymouth are playing to the strengths of their personnel and are playing in a similar manner to last season in division one. All being achieved on a minuscule budget compared to nearly every other team in the Championship.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 10:18]

Like i said there are some teams that seem to find a striker but it's a rarity.
It's all well and good looking to sell Dykes but you're looking for a replacement who can give us 10-15 per season. And we're looking at Harrods prices and a Shepherds Bush Market budget.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dykes on 22:47 - Nov 8 with 2138 viewsbaz_qpr

From listening to the tactical podcast Cifuentes will play horses for courses upfront, so some games it might be Dykes others it might be Armstrong others it might be a false 9 so Kolli or maybe Chair. But if he changes the forward type he will also change the set up and the players around the forward to complement. The one thing I learnt from that podcast other than our new manager has a law degree and a masters in sports administration is how little I know about tactics and how we really need to give him time
Dykes on 10:04 - Nov 9 with 2004 viewsBluce_Ree

How can good strikers be so rare? I mean fundamentally, playing football is about putting a ball where you want it to go. Whether it is getting it to a teammate or getting it in a goal.

It's like being a guitarist but not being any good at playing chords.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Dykes on 10:47 - Nov 9 with 1950 viewsTheChef

Dykes on 10:04 - Nov 9 by Bluce_Ree

How can good strikers be so rare? I mean fundamentally, playing football is about putting a ball where you want it to go. Whether it is getting it to a teammate or getting it in a goal.

You know what, when you put it like that, you're right!

Dykes on 11:00 - Nov 9 with 1927 viewsPhil_i_P_Daddy

Consistently brings NOTHING to the pitch.
Couldn't hit a cow's carcass with a double bass!
That said, it's not his fault he gets picked to play. Reflects badly on our other players who are supposedly vying for a shirt that is there for the taking.

Phil_i_P

Dykes on 11:16 - Nov 9 with 1896 viewsNorthernr

Dykes on 10:04 - Nov 9 by Bluce_Ree

It's because everybody wants to be a fcking "ten".
Dykes on 15:04 - Nov 9 with 1741 viewsLazyFan

Dykes on 11:16 - Nov 9 by Northernr

It's because everybody wants to be a fcking "ten".

Also, since all teams moved tactics-wise from 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3 there is no big man to knock it down for little man to speedily run onto and smack it in the net. Or a predator who is just fed it from the big man who is a deadly finisher and bangs it in Clive Allen style.

Now they want the front three to rotate so they are all Mbappe types. Great if you actually have Mbappe, but not so good if your players are not lightning-quick (which is what they have to be). Or you have an even rarer asset ala Kane as your number 9 who can almost do it all.

I like the good old days of 4-4-2, big lumbering Falco/Ferdinand smashing everyone up. And little nippy Penrice or skilful Weggers smashing them in. Dykes it seems, can only do the former and only some of the time and not the latter. This means he cannot do either and he does not work well in a 4-3-3 unless one of those is called Mcginn and is a world-class passer of the ball.

If we get a world-class passer of the ball we are all good. No problem :P

zzzzzzzzzz

Dykes on 19:12 - Nov 9 with 1601 viewsHooping_Mad

Dykes on 08:57 - Nov 8 by Rs_Holy

'a soft spot for him even if he is a bit useless' ... I think a lot of us feel the same.
He's the Morris Marina of the strikers in with a Talbot Solara, Chrysler Alpine and a Vauxhall Chevette.

Strange aside, my first car was dad's old metallic blue Talbot Alpine. It was a bit Dykes like as well.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024