Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 21:39 - Nov 4 with 42328 viewsstainrods_elbow

Really hope we can move him on in Jan and bring in one or two players who can really help the reshaped project, starting with breaking with years of tradition and actually investing in a striker who scores goals. He's going nowhere at QPR and just doesn't, and never will, cut the mustard. I'm afraid. He's a ram that doesn't batter, his buckle doesn't swash, and his goalscoring instincts are not so much predatory as borderline nugatory. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Millwall, say, came back in for him, he'd miraculously metamorphose into a 1 in 3 merchant who plays every week, but hopefully we'd by then be past caring. I don't want a player leading our line who scores the odd header from an occasional Chair cross but who seems mainly to care about playing for Scotland.

All being well, MC will have sussed this out in double-quick time and will be reshaping our attacking line with Smyth, Willock and Chair, and a new pivot.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2023 21:43]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Dykes on 11:21 - Nov 5 with 2465 viewsNortholt_Rs

Dykes on 10:32 - Nov 5 by paulparker

Dykes is not good enough and is not consistent enough , we have seen this for over 3 seasons
I think we need to accept we are going down this year and I would move him on after the Euros with Scotland as he will be more of a saleable asset

Dykes has scored 8 goals in each of the last two seasons and has 1 goal in 11 games so far: our LB has 3 times as many! Starting this season with just Dykes and Armstrong as our strikers was suicidal mismanagement by the owners and surprise, surprise, the team has no goals in it. If Cifuentes keeps us up it will be nothing short of a miracle given what he’s got to work with.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Dykes on 11:27 - Nov 5 with 2421 viewsNorthernr

At Hammarby this season, having lost a lot of his best players, didn't Cifuentes end up improvising with two Willock and Chair types as his strikers? Dykes plays like he did yesterday much more and perhaps we'll see something similar here.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Dykes on 11:28 - Nov 5 with 2419 viewslassel

Dykes on 09:21 - Nov 5 by Loyalitat

Totally agree.

The anticipation shown by Kelman to enable that opportunity from Chair's telling cross, is in stark contrast to Dykes' failure to connect with his head from another telling cross on the right earlier on in the second-half, which was a very presentable chance for him to either score or at least get some kind of connection to cause havoc in Rotherham's penalty box. Better centre forwards get their head on that ball regardless of whether there are defenders in their way and that's why they score more frequently than him. Ryan Hardie of Plymouth, playing at this level for the first time, immediately springs to mind.

The level they're playing at means that free headed chances are the exception not the rule, as the defenders are too good. Telling crosses are therefore at a premium at this level and need to either be scored or at least cause problems in the opposition's penalty area.

Kelman managed to do so with his one opportunity, Dykes didn't..

I mean for all Kerman’s anticipation, he didn’t actually get to the ball - it came off the defender and would’ve been an OG.
Dykes on 11:32 - Nov 5 with 2394 viewsstainrods_elbow

Dykes on 10:01 - Nov 5 by Loyalitat

Plymouth are managing to score goals regularly, 26 to date, with players who have hardly played at this level before this season. Their centre forward, Ryan Hardie with 6 goals already, is a case in point.

There are players out there and Plymouth are playing to the strengths of their personnel and are playing in a similar manner to last season in division one. All being achieved on a minuscule budget compared to nearly every other team in the Championship.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 10:18]

This! Lee Hoos and other apologists for FFP take note!

Dykes on 11:34 - Nov 5 with 2384 viewsDiscodroids

If Lydon applies himself fully to the High artistry of association football center forward play , then i reckon in about 27,000 years when mankind procreates by rubbing its hind legs over a royal jelly compound enslaved by Alien sexless entities in their xenomorph cubed pleasure hives, while nourishing human pupae to a harsh beat of shamanic tonal resonations at the behest of those very same sexless alien entities, he might be as good as Marco Boogers.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Dykes on 11:37 - Nov 5 with 2375 viewsRs_Holy

Dykes on 08:52 - Nov 5 by QPROslo

Very often though we have looked a worse team without Dykes than with him, but he doesnt score the goals we need, never has really for us or anyone else. Ideally we need another striker to play with him but doubt we can afford a good one. Maybe the best solution will be if a Club is willing to pay decent money for him we could then replace him with a better goal scorer, but again that doesn't sound too likely. Hopefully Marti can develop Kelman, Armstrong, Dykes or someone he can pick up cheap into more prolific strikers than they are now. Would be some achievement!

I wasn’t at the game yesterday but watched a live stream. We all know Lyndon is not a prolific striker and isn’t a bull in china shop type of striker either. He will however run all day and covers a lot of ground and is also a good header of the ball in and around the penalty spot.
One thing I think he absolutely must add to his game is the ability to hold onto the ball and allow other players to support him from midfield. There is a tendency for the ball to just bounce off of him, giving possession straight back to the oppo.
Dykes on 11:40 - Nov 5 with 2364 viewsR_from_afar

I believe good coaches can improve players however old they are so I'm going to reserve judgement until Marti has had a bit more time to work with Dykes.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Dykes on 11:40 - Nov 5 with 2358 viewsWatford_Ranger

He very, very occasionally scores something from nothing but I’d imagine his xG is crap. Happy to be corrected. In a team that creates few chances you need a striker you’d back to score an open goal from five yards and neither of ours offer that.
Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 12:03 - Nov 5 with 2303 viewsBklynRanger

Dykes on 11:28 - Nov 5 by lassel

I mean for all Kerman’s anticipation, he didn’t actually get to the ball - it came off the defender and would’ve been an OG.

Would've been an OG that he'd forced to happen though, I think (need to see it again).

I'm going to PREDICT that Kelman will develop this season under Marti. The way we'll be set up should hopefully lend itself more to his finishing skills rather than needing him to be a target man or fulcrum or whatever. Think he'll remain a regular sub at the very least.
Dykes on 12:15 - Nov 5 with 2253 viewsNorthernr

I mean for all the talk of service, what more, exactly, does the guy want than that Paul Smyth cross yesterday?
Dykes on 12:23 - Nov 5 with 2223 viewsPhilmyRs

Dykes on 12:15 - Nov 5 by Northernr

I mean for all the talk of service, what more, exactly, does the guy want than that Paul Smyth cross yesterday?

Thought that was a crucial moment - put that away as he should we win but story of our season, lack of goals. Considering how long he’s been with us, how many games he’s played, it’s the lack of improvement in his game which disappoints me most. I still think he’s ok for the Championship, the bigger problem for us is he’s all we have rather than having a decent alternative or partner depending on formation etc.
Dykes on 12:33 - Nov 5 with 2197 viewspaulparker

Dykes on 11:03 - Nov 5 by hubble

Whoa, I don't think we're going down!

Like I said above, there are good options to play without a striker all together. I think Marti is going to keep us up.

Apart from sheff wed & Rotherham can you name a club that is going to go on a QPR esq bad run and drop because looking at that table I can’t see it

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Dykes on 12:33 - Nov 5 with 2202 viewsw7r

Roy Orbison could have put that away, an absolute peach from Smyth.
Dykes on 13:16 - Nov 5 with 2113 viewsParkRoyalR

Northern, I get you don't rate Dykes which is fair enough, we all see different things in players, in the way you rated Luke Amos and whilst I appreciated him breaking the line and actually giving the likes of Dykes an option, I did'nt see what you saw in him.

In my opinion, Dykes's conversion rate from crosses this season has been very good, as we saw for Dozells goal last week and his movement in the box has generally been very good this season, and for me, the 'he's always on his heels' is an out-dated anecdote (and I'd actually give Austin of all people credit for fixing this) as seen from his play this season.

We all know Dykes does not have in his locker the ability to do what Chair did yesterday, take on his man of a standing start and find the bottom corner. For him to be effective we need an attacking unit of more than 2 or 3 players.

Our problem remains we just do not create enough chances as a team and if Dykes does'nt take maybe his only chance in the game, we get the usual pile-on.

If we are to create more chances and score more goals, Cifuentes needs to create a cohesive attacking unit in the way Warburton did and Clarke does for Scotland.

For me, we're still more likely to this with Dykes in the team that not as I just cannot see Armstrong or Kelman ever playing at this level (hope I'm wrong on that mind), although he does need to find his inner-Hughill in every game and up the aggression levels!
Dykes on 13:18 - Nov 5 with 2106 viewsBklynRanger

Dykes on 12:33 - Nov 5 by w7r

Roy Orbison could have put that away, an absolute peach from Smyth.

Even Roy's guide dog would've nutted it in.

Dunne made a better lunge at a cross late on.
Dykes on 13:31 - Nov 5 with 2068 viewshubble

Dykes on 12:33 - Nov 5 by paulparker

Apart from sheff wed & Rotherham can you name a club that is going to go on a QPR esq bad run and drop because looking at that table I can’t see it

You can't judge Marti on what's gone before. We had probably the worst coach/tactician I've ever known in charge until a week ago. This is an entirely new chapter with a brilliant young manager and there's plenty of time to get things moving in the right direction. We're only a third of the way through the season FFS!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Dykes on 13:43 - Nov 5 with 2040 viewsted_hendrix

I find him just as stunningly ordinary now as when he joined some three years ago.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Dykes on 13:48 - Nov 5 with 2018 viewsgazza1

Dykes only asset is that he runs around a lot....sadly most of the time not in the right areas of the pitch.

We need a CF who is going to get into areas of the pitch where he is going to score goals and when the ball is played up to him he can control it and pass it to one of our players. He can do it sometimes, certainly not enough of the time, if he has the space but mostly he fails to do the basics. The defenders who play against him have a proper easy time of things, 100%.

Arguably & sadly he is possibly or maybe our best CF at the club. I find it hard to believe that we had a bid of £2 million from Millwall for him and if we did the person who rejected it at the Club needs removing.
Dykes on 14:17 - Nov 5 with 1982 viewspaulparker

Dykes on 13:31 - Nov 5 by hubble

You can't judge Marti on what's gone before. We had probably the worst coach/tactician I've ever known in charge until a week ago. This is an entirely new chapter with a brilliant young manager and there's plenty of time to get things moving in the right direction. We're only a third of the way through the season FFS!

Who’s judging the new manager ??
This squad is rank you only have to look at our bench to see that , it’s seen off two managers in less than a year and was also instrumental in a poor run under Warburton
It’s going to take a lot more than super Marti to get this lot going from relegation fodder to a comfortable mid table team in 6 months , we don’t have a luxury of a Reading being docked points and our strike force is shocking so you are needing probably another 2-3 teams to go on super bad runs to get sucked into a relegation battle and looking at the table I’m struggling to think who

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Dykes on 14:27 - Nov 5 with 1962 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes on 13:48 - Nov 5 by gazza1

Dykes only asset is that he runs around a lot....sadly most of the time not in the right areas of the pitch.

We need a CF who is going to get into areas of the pitch where he is going to score goals and when the ball is played up to him he can control it and pass it to one of our players. He can do it sometimes, certainly not enough of the time, if he has the space but mostly he fails to do the basics. The defenders who play against him have a proper easy time of things, 100%.

Arguably & sadly he is possibly or maybe our best CF at the club. I find it hard to believe that we had a bid of £2 million from Millwall for him and if we did the person who rejected it at the Club needs removing.

Gazza, we've always been polar opposites on Dykes, and maybe both our arguments have merits, but have a quick watch on the Extended Highlights posted below.

Dykes - Positives:
1) Good movement into space to get in front of CB for Smyth's cross (See Negatives below)
2) Good movement to receive a cut-back for goal-scoring opportunity when EDB hit post
3) Great desire & only player to cover pitch late on from a defensive corner to support Chair & Willock counter-attack and create an option for a chance on goal
4) Good defensive work at set-pieces
5) Good header to Kakay to retain possession allowing team to transition out of defence late-on; Kakay undoes Dykes good work with a poor mistake ultimately leading to free-kick & equaliser

Dykes - Negatives:
1) Hughill put in an early jaw-breaking elbow on Dunne, we need Dykes to be more physical if not this ill-disciplined and dirty
2) Smyth's cross, good movement but seems to mis-read flight of the ball (as did Chair behind him) and seems to be eased out by the CB, his jump made him look closer to it than he was, but he's done this a few times now (Barnsley away) and should get his elbows into the CB earlier and win the fight to make contact.

If Dykes can find his inner Hughill every game and not 1 in 3......

I think the Positives above will be key this season if we can get Chair / Willock / Smyth firing, Paal / Cannon supporting the attacks, and players attacking the edge of the box and screaming for the pass like EDB and Cannon were yesterday when Chair instead took on the shot and scored a great goal.

I'm positive we can get out of this with these players and this Manager.
Dykes on 15:20 - Nov 5 with 1880 viewsNorthantsHoop

He likes handling the ball a lot, pulled up couple of times for it yesterday and last home game, probably thinks he is still playing Rugby League sometimes. Hopefully we can make a bit of profit from his sale and get someone better to lead the line. Always liked Hugill in a Rangers shirt but he was out of our reach when his loan finished.
Dykes on 15:31 - Nov 5 with 1849 viewsMalintabuk

I can remember being on here during covid not long after I started posting and watch a game on the TV and saying that I thought Dykes was not a very good player.
I'm not sure if Dykes gets away with not getting pelters because in all honesty he is the best we have, but that does not make him any good
Yesterday at the game around me he was getting pelters and rightly so. His hold up play is abysmal, his control is non existent and for a big lad he wins very few headers, though he seems to win defence headers more.
Washington use to be torn a new one and in all honesty there is very little I see different with them. They both give everything, they both ran around alot, and you can't really question their attitude... but woeful strikers.
Dykes must have now had 5 managers here and none of them have improved him to any decernable degree.
He is the best we have no doubt but we do have very slim pickings
Dykes on 16:04 - Nov 5 with 1793 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Whilst I haven't been overly impressed with his QPR career to date, Dykes did at least extend his contract, unlike some others we could mention. This demonstrates commitment and gives QPR faint hope of recouping some money in future.

Given that Don Cifuentes has only just joined, I think it's fair that he's given time to implement his ideas, and an opportunity to improve Lyndon, and others around him.
Dykes on 16:05 - Nov 5 with 1792 viewsTGRRRSSS

You'd think an Australian would do better in West London...
Dykes on 19:07 - Nov 5 with 1657 viewsstainrods_elbow

Dykes on 12:23 - Nov 5 by PhilmyRs

Thought that was a crucial moment - put that away as he should we win but story of our season, lack of goals. Considering how long he’s been with us, how many games he’s played, it’s the lack of improvement in his game which disappoints me most. I still think he’s ok for the Championship, the bigger problem for us is he’s all we have rather than having a decent alternative or partner depending on formation etc.

Sure, if by 'OK for the Championship', you mean 'OK for a club that's happy in the bottom half at best or fighting relegation evety season'. No thanks!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024