Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post office / Horizon show 19:46 - Jan 2 with 27976 viewsRangersDave

Christ, what great 'real' drama.

When i first heard about Horizon, waaaay back in the day, and even then with my rudimentary understanding of glitches, viruses, 'computer says no' etc, i knew there was something wildly 'fishy' about it.

Thoroughly recommend it to you all.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Post office / Horizon show on 20:03 - Jan 2 with 11684 viewsMick_S

Yeah, can’t wait for tonight. ‘ no one else is having a problem.’

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Post office / Horizon show on 20:08 - Jan 2 with 11671 viewsHooping_Mad

Police and Home office genuinely thought a bunch of people who had never committed a crime in their lives had all just decided to start fiddling the Post Office in the exact same way at the exact same time.

All paper ledgers were simply ignored as evidence.

Nobody could comprehend that a piece of software didn't work. Trouble is the people who didn't have the skills or even a clue as to what went on encouraged prosecution of hundreds of innocent people, many of whom never recovered their reputations.

Home Secretary/CPS/head of the Post Office should all be in the dock.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Post office / Horizon show on 20:18 - Jan 2 with 11641 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Post office / Horizon show on 20:08 - Jan 2 by Hooping_Mad

Police and Home office genuinely thought a bunch of people who had never committed a crime in their lives had all just decided to start fiddling the Post Office in the exact same way at the exact same time.

Nobody could comprehend that a piece of software didn't work. Trouble is the people who didn't have the skills or even a clue as to what went on encouraged prosecution of hundreds of innocent people, many of whom never recovered their reputations.

The CEO of the Post Office at the time, Paula Vennels, was awarded a CBE in 2019. She should be in prison.
Post office / Horizon show on 21:44 - Jan 2 with 11476 viewsSuperhoops2808

Thought it was great, until I realised that the post office that is meant to be in Bridlington is actually filmed in Orpington, Kent, with a viaduct they dont have and a Southeastern train in the background
Post office / Horizon show on 22:14 - Jan 2 with 11398 viewsdaveB

it gets better, watched all 4 through work and it's a brilliant drama which will leave you absolutely furious but also quite heart warming in places
Post office / Horizon show on 22:40 - Jan 2 with 11314 viewsCamberleyR

Post office / Horizon show on 20:08 - Jan 2 by Hooping_Mad

"Home Secretary/CPS/head of the Post Office should all be in the dock"

I can't believe Fujitsu have got away as lightly as they have out of all this as well considering it was their poorly developed, lousily coded, dogshit piece of software in the first place.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Post office / Horizon show on 22:45 - Jan 2 with 11299 viewsManinBlack

It shows how they always come after the little people whereas when it is corrupt wealthy people they are reluctant to pursue it.
Post office / Horizon show on 05:58 - Jan 3 with 11142 viewsstowmarketrange

Post office / Horizon show on 20:18 - Jan 2 by Beckenhamhoop

The CEO of the Post Office at the time, Paula Vennels, was awarded a CBE in 2019. She should be in prison.

And the privatised Royal Mail has missed every delivery target going for years.A reward for failure again.
Login to get fewer ads

Post office / Horizon show on 08:51 - Jan 3 with 10935 viewsslmrstid

And to think for years the only media outlet in the country trying to shine a light on it was the Private Eye.

Where were the rest of them? Suckling up to their paymasters in Westminster instead.

Utterly disgraceful episode all round and hundreds, if not thousands, of lives ruined when you consider the knock on effects on family/friends/reputations.
[Post edited 3 Jan 10:29]
Post office / Horizon show on 09:49 - Jan 3 with 10858 viewselnombre

I've been an Eye subscriber for longer than I can remember, but I think they would credit that hotbed of investigative journalism, 'Computer Weekly' for breaking the Horizon scandal story originally.

Edited...
[Post edited 3 Jan 23:22]
Post office / Horizon show on 09:57 - Jan 3 with 10798 viewsTheChef

Post office / Horizon show on 08:51 - Jan 3 by slmrstid

And to think for years the only media outlet in the country trying to shine a light on it was the Private Eye.

Where were the rest of them? Suckling up to their paymasters in Westminster instead.

Utterly disgraceful episode all round and hundreds, if not thousands, of lives ruined when you consider the knock on effects on family/friends/reputations.

Yes bizarre as I have no recollection of this until this TV show popped up - and I used to subscribe to Private Eye.

Although I don't think Private Eye is quite as anti-establishment as people think it is; given it's had the same editor for nearly 40 years!!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Post office / Horizon show on 11:39 - Jan 3 with 10702 viewsRangersDave

Post office / Horizon show on 21:44 - Jan 2 by Superhoops2808

Thought it was great, until I realised that the post office that is meant to be in Bridlington is actually filmed in Orpington, Kent, with a viaduct they dont have and a Southeastern train in the background

you will be telling me next that they didnt use the real Fenny Compton village hall in the filming? lol

Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Post office / Horizon show on 11:58 - Jan 3 with 10656 viewsMick_S

I was an agency worker in Uxbridge and Slough last year. Key, experienced workers are leaving in droves as their benefits are systematically being taken away. I have to say that I loved it, due to my work partners, but the depots are not happy places. New contracts are mandatory Saturday and Sunday work - not ideal for most people! There are a few on here more qualified to explain.

Still getting Christmas cards in the new year?

Post office / Horizon show on 12:05 - Jan 3 with 10643 viewsdaveB

Post office / Horizon show on 08:51 - Jan 3 by slmrstid

to be fair both BBC and ITV news covered this at the time as did the newspapers but don't think it was ever the main news which grabbed everyone's attention as it should have
Post office / Horizon show on 12:32 - Jan 3 with 10571 viewsRangersDave

Post office / Horizon show on 11:58 - Jan 3 by Mick_S

I was an agency worker in Uxbridge and Slough last year. Key, experienced workers are leaving in droves as their benefits are systematically being taken away. I have to say that I loved it, due to my work partners, but the depots are not happy places. New contracts are mandatory Saturday and Sunday work - not ideal for most people! There are a few on here more qualified to explain.

Still getting Christmas cards in the new year?

Quite amazing really, and from what i hear, i dont dispute that 1 little bit..... however....

RM, decided in November last year that they werent going to be caught with their pants down with a lack of truck drivers due to them going for the filthy lucre offered by others up to Christmas and into New Year, so they advertised.... as you would, for a bunch (read 'loads') of Drivers to go in on a 2 month contract.

This contract involved being assigned a hotel, where you would sleep and eat (all at RM's expense), then each day, or night get taken to a depot where you would do a run in an artic.

No problem, easy work.

You got paid money to sleep in your pre paid room, food costs, in fact all your costs and then some..... if you 'wanted out' you could, but you didnt get the bonuses, so you were there 2 months, with your legal days off.

The overall pay for 2 months was £15k (yes you read that correctly)

You might work from Edinburgh, so you'd have to drive there to stay (fuel paid), and when you went home at the end, fuel was also paid.

You werent paid the £15k before the contract ended, but you really didnt need cash in pocket, as breaky, dinner and tea was paid for you.

So imagine the total layout of dosh that was! and in the end they got hit by Amazon, Evri etc and didnt really need 25% of the drivers they took ok contract for 2 months.

Money for nowt, but just shows you how FCUK'd up they are still. Mind you it could have been worse, they could have sub contracted it to Fujitsu. lol

Post office / Horizon show on 12:41 - Jan 3 with 10527 viewsMick_S

Dave, I and all the agency workers were laid off last July due to budget constraints, and then I read your above post...

My depot was 60 posties short and they lay people off. Some of the rounds have been broken up and redistributed to the remaining overworked staff so, for example, your round goes from 10 roads to, say 15, and another wage is saved.

By the way, despite all this, I reapplied as I knew I could get back in with my old mates after a few weeks. Got rejected this morning. I mean, it’s not as though I can’t do the job/lack of experience.

Probably best off out of it.
[Post edited 3 Jan 16:19]

Post office / Horizon show on 12:42 - Jan 3 with 10529 viewsW4Hoop

Computer Weekly deserve credit for originally publishing this story, but a trade paper was never going to achieve national recognition. The main broadcasters dipped in and out of the story over 20+ years. Only Private Eye stuck with it, through fortnightly reports, year in, year out, in their "In the Back" investigative journalism section.

Many media outlets simply couldn't believe that an institution which (pre-privatisation) was considered trustworthy could be so mendacious and cruel. The entire board at the time should face criminal prosecution, especially Chief Executive Paula Vennells who has never had to answer for disgracefully and knowingly persecuting over 700 entirely innocent postmasters.
Post office / Horizon show on 12:42 - Jan 3 with 10525 viewsstowmarketrange

Post office / Horizon show on 12:32 - Jan 3 by RangersDave

Quite amazing really, and from what i hear, i dont dispute that 1 little bit..... however....

RM, decided in November last year that they werent going to be caught with their pants down with a lack of truck drivers due to them going for the filthy lucre offered by others up to Christmas and into New Year, so they advertised.... as you would, for a bunch (read 'loads') of Drivers to go in on a 2 month contract.

This contract involved being assigned a hotel, where you would sleep and eat (all at RM's expense), then each day, or night get taken to a depot where you would do a run in an artic.

No problem, easy work.

You got paid money to sleep in your pre paid room, food costs, in fact all your costs and then some..... if you 'wanted out' you could, but you didnt get the bonuses, so you were there 2 months, with your legal days off.

The overall pay for 2 months was £15k (yes you read that correctly)

You might work from Edinburgh, so you'd have to drive there to stay (fuel paid), and when you went home at the end, fuel was also paid.

You werent paid the £15k before the contract ended, but you really didnt need cash in pocket, as breaky, dinner and tea was paid for you.

So imagine the total layout of dosh that was! and in the end they got hit by Amazon, Evri etc and didnt really need 25% of the drivers they took ok contract for 2 months.

Money for nowt, but just shows you how FCUK'd up they are still. Mind you it could have been worse, they could have sub contracted it to Fujitsu. lol

I wish I’d known that in November.I could’ve done with £15k in my bin,and a couple of months away in a hotel somewhere.
Post office / Horizon show on 13:42 - Jan 3 with 10457 viewsNorthernr

They're still at it. Follow the inquiry - witnesses failing/delaying to show, evidence withheld or 'lost', people sticking to stories that are provably untrue, witnesses being openly hostile towards the barristers and/or chair. Disgusting, and just so typical of the corrupt time and country we're living in at the moment.. Everywhere you look - HS2, the PPE stuff and the VIP lanes, House of Lords appointments, honours list...

I mean let's be honest, even in this very well put together and acted drama, which is definitely worth your time and got me very emotional an angry in parts, they've very conveniently omitted Adam Crozier entirely - Post Office CEO 2003 to 2010 - presumably because he was then also the ITV CEO.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Post office / Horizon show on 14:36 - Jan 3 with 10325 viewsSonofpugwash

And Fujitsu get a contact extension.You couldn't make this shite up.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/04/18/fujitsu_gets_142_million_uk/

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Post office / Horizon show on 14:46 - Jan 3 with 10299 viewsdaveB

Post office / Horizon show on 13:42 - Jan 3 by Northernr

They're still at it. Follow the inquiry - witnesses failing/delaying to show, evidence withheld or 'lost', people sticking to stories that are provably untrue, witnesses being openly hostile towards the barristers and/or chair. Disgusting, and just so typical of the corrupt time and country we're living in at the moment.. Everywhere you look - HS2, the PPE stuff and the VIP lanes, House of Lords appointments, honours list...

I mean let's be honest, even in this very well put together and acted drama, which is definitely worth your time and got me very emotional an angry in parts, they've very conveniently omitted Adam Crozier entirely - Post Office CEO 2003 to 2010 - presumably because he was then also the ITV CEO.

it's based on a book which doesn't feature Crozier much but you are right was convenient to leave him out entirely.

I think the hope is that this drama provokes more interest in what happened and people look into it more and support the people involved who are still fighting this now

There is a documentary on it tomorrow night which features a lot of the people involved and is heartbreaking
[Post edited 3 Jan 14:46]
Post office / Horizon show on 14:54 - Jan 3 with 10260 viewsstowmarketrange

Post office / Horizon show on 13:42 - Jan 3 by Northernr

I think the French would’ve been sharpening the guillotine for the same things we shrug our shoulders at and complain a bit.
Post office / Horizon show on 15:20 - Jan 3 with 10195 viewsPaddyhoops

Post office / Horizon show on 20:18 - Jan 2 by Beckenhamhoop

Exactly this but as we know in this country there is never any justice for the small person.
From Hillsborough to Grenfell tower.
Rotten to the core these f**ckers and they still haven’t payed up these innocents.
Post office / Horizon show on 16:11 - Jan 3 with 10126 viewsloftboy

Watched the first episode and ended up staying up until the early hours watching the rest on ITV X.
Absolutely shocking how those people were treated.
CEO also a minister in the church. Said to my Mrs “told you, you can never trust someone of the cloth”

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Post office / Horizon show on 17:06 - Jan 3 with 10036 viewsterryb

Post office / Horizon show on 16:11 - Jan 3 by loftboy

Watched the first episode and ended up staying up until the early hours watching the rest on ITV X.
Absolutely shocking how those people were treated.
CEO also a minister in the church. Said to my Mrs “told you, you can never trust someone of the cloth”

We watched the last three episodes last night as we had to get the anger out of our systems!

It's not often that you see a television programme & want to hit all of the people responsible, but I would willingly have done so to all of the PO personnel!

Please someone, tell me that the PO spokeswoman wasn't as horrible in real life?
[Post edited 3 Jan 17:08]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024