Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong 22:57 - Jul 15 with 64221 viewsdigswellhoop

sorry if I'm late Armstrong is a talent sign him on a long contract he will be a great player for us if nurtured properly

This post has been edited by an administrator
Armstrong on 17:21 - Jul 18 with 4148 viewsPunteR

Armstrong on 16:58 - Jul 18 by paulparker

Mark this one down for the annuals but I’m totally with you on this
I’m gutted he is going , this lad has potential, especially with the right coaching I can’t help but feel he is going to go into to better things and we will always think what might have been
Having been critical of Les in the past the likes of Armstrong, Smyth and Manning were real gems
The worrying thing is a lot of our players are happy to run down contracts here, it cannot be all bad agents

The only way we keep him is improve his contract. As soon as we do that, we make a rod for our own back, as every player will start looking for improved contracts We then tear up our budget and start going down that same old road we've been down. I think the club are doing the right thing here. (if he goes for 2m) . If he goes on to be the next Ferdinand then so be it.
I like Armstrong, but i dont think he's done enough to get a pay rise when everyone else hasn't. We seem to have a really good coaching set up now, so its a shame he seems to want out for more money rather then learn his trade here.
Thats kinda how i see things.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Armstrong on 17:28 - Jul 18 with 4082 viewsfrancisbowles

I’m gutted he is going , this lad has potential, especially with the right coaching I can’t help but feel he is going to go into to better things and we will always think what might have been
Having been critical of Les in the past the likes of Armstrong, Smyth and Manning were real gems
The worrying thing is a lot of our players are happy to run down contracts here, it cannot be all bad agents

Money, wages and signing on fee.
Armstrong on 17:40 - Jul 18 with 3954 viewsMatch82

Armstrong on 13:44 - Jul 17 by Hoopsie

Isn’t 40 million reported for 18 yo Archie Gray of championship club Leeds by Spurs with “potential” being one of the valuation factor?

So 2.5 million for a 21 yo striker playing for a championship club and an u-21 national team with “potential to grow” doesn’t seem far fetch innit?

You may not agree but if it is true I wouldn’t argue too much, take the money and send the player by express post thank you very much

I think it depends how you define "potential". Someone that's 8/10 across the board in terms of their attributes at 21 has potential, and you're gambling that they can improve a couple of those to 9s.

Someone like Sinclair already has some 9s and 10s(pace, strength), but it's offset by a whole bunch of 4s and 5s which severely limit his effectiveness currently.

Bit like buying a house I guess, if it's in an incredible location and is in great condition except for a massive hole in the roof and a kitchen which needs to be redone, you might back yourself to fix those and your upside is higher than if you get a "nice" house that you can add an extension onto at some point. Of course, if you don't fix the hole in the roof then you've made a terrible buy.
Armstrong on 17:43 - Jul 18 with 3922 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Armstrong on 16:55 - Jul 18 by robith

If we were paying £2m for Armstrong, I'd be very concerned we were wasting our money. That's the way I always look at transfers

Spot on. It would be like the bad old days.

However, we now sell a non scoring 21yo and replace him with a 25yo, international striker. Who scores. A lot.

So long Armstrong, you were fun to watch, but also a bit crap.
Armstrong on 18:18 - Jul 18 with 3757 viewsWestonsuperR

I genuinely interested as to why you think he has potential? He is very quickly and I am tempted to say strong but actually got bullied a lot by central defenders. I don’t see anything else at all, terrible first touch, finishing dreadful, can’t cross or stay onside…I could go on!
Armstrong on 18:30 - Jul 18 with 3650 viewsdutch

I'm going to miss him. There aren't many players as bizarre as Armstrong, or as theatrical and emotional. You never know what he's going to do and nor does he, which makes him exciting to watch, given that we aren't very good, that was a pleasure. That goal at Leicester and the celebration which followed were one of the best moments of the season. I understand why he's going, but it was fun while he was here and fun is in short supply in football currently.
Armstrong on 18:34 - Jul 18 with 3614 viewsdmm

Armstrong on 15:24 - Jul 18 by Stainrod

Our fanbase has its share of moaners but I believe most fans would conclude that after years of mismanagement we are finally being very well run, and that the recruitment team has earned the right to be trusted. Generally they seem able to replace with better. Would be very sad to lose Dunne - as much for his spirit as anything else - as think he embodied our "never say die" attitude from January. But with the exception of JCS and Chair - and to a lesser extent Cook and Field - I would be confident now that we could secure decent replacements. Which itself sends a message to players that they can't hold us to ransom. I like Paal but if someone offers a big fee for him, lets be pragmatic - personally I'd be excited to see who they would bring in as a replacement.

Just recently we were linked with LB Ar’jany Martha, a free agent having left Ajax.
Armstrong on 18:46 - Jul 18 with 3491 viewskensalriser

Armstrong on 16:38 - Jul 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

Yeah it’s the ‘more than his current worth’ I mean really. Some people are very certain he’s a terrible player. Me less so.

I accept the unavoidable economic conditions of the sale but I’ll be disappointed (for us not him) if he goes on to have a huge transfer in the future.

That’s football I guess!

Opinions are fine but I prefer to go with the facts. I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough to be able to accurately predict how much potential a young player has, so all I've got to go on is the evidence - and the evidence isn't encouraging.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong on 18:49 - Jul 18 with 3470 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong on 18:46 - Jul 18 by kensalriser

Opinions are fine but I prefer to go with the facts. I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough to be able to accurately predict how much potential a young player has, so all I've got to go on is the evidence - and the evidence isn't encouraging.

Yeah you are right , I’ve been banging on about QPR being a more sustainable club for years and I shouldn’t waiver when it happens just because I like the player.

This is what we should be doing.
Armstrong on 20:17 - Jul 18 with 3216 viewspaulparker

Armstrong on 18:18 - Jul 18 by WestonsuperR

I genuinely interested as to why you think he has potential? He is very quickly and I am tempted to say strong but actually got bullied a lot by central defenders. I don’t see anything else at all, terrible first touch, finishing dreadful, can’t cross or stay onside…I could go on!

His young has pace , power and can take a player on something we have lacked in our side for a while that’s a good staring block in my book
Yes his finishing is erratic and his fitness needs working on but that was his only full season playing championship football last year lots to improve on imo he really should have gone on loan down the divisions to learn his craft and with the right coaching he could be something, imo it’s a bit galling when one of your best young prospects goes to Bristol City

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Armstrong on 20:21 - Jul 18 with 3171 viewsOldPedro

Armstrong on 20:17 - Jul 18 by paulparker

His young has pace , power and can take a player on something we have lacked in our side for a while that’s a good staring block in my book
Yes his finishing is erratic and his fitness needs working on but that was his only full season playing championship football last year lots to improve on imo he really should have gone on loan down the divisions to learn his craft and with the right coaching he could be something, imo it’s a bit galling when one of your best young prospects goes to Bristol City

Agree with this but he wouldn't sign a new contract with us, so if we can get money for him, we have to sell him.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Armstrong on 21:33 - Jul 18 with 2886 viewsStJude82

Frankly his ball control is inferior to almost every professional footballer I've ever seen and a great many amateurs including ME!. If they're offering 2m then grab it!
Armstrong on 21:38 - Jul 18 with 2836 viewspaulparker

Armstrong on 20:21 - Jul 18 by OldPedro

Agree with this but he wouldn't sign a new contract with us, so if we can get money for him, we have to sell him.

I agree , I’m just a tad gutted we are losing a young player with bags of potential for peanuts

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Armstrong on 21:39 - Jul 18 with 2843 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

If he is such a prospect why did he not get a run in the team ahead of Dykes?
He is 21, not 17, so to get £2m is fantastic work.

If he was any good he wouldn't be leaving us for Bristol City.
Armstrong on 21:59 - Jul 18 with 2673 viewsStainrod

Armstrong on 15:56 - Jul 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

I get that, and personally I’d take the money, I’m just a bit mystified by the absolutism of this being an extraordinary deal.

because we are selling a player who has scored 4 goals in 65 games - who we would lose for free in 9 months - and replacing him with a striker who scored something like 40 goals in 90 games for his last club. It’s us so something will probably go wrong but in principle it’s the deal of the bloody century. Just baffled by remarks from others (not you) saying they are gutted etc. We have been crying out for a striker who scores goals, we are about to get one and still a minority are complaining!
Armstrong on 22:11 - Jul 18 with 2584 viewsSydneyRs

Just for context, he's older than Jude Bellingham.
Armstrong on 22:12 - Jul 18 with 2572 viewsRanger_Things

Armstrong on 18:49 - Jul 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

Yeah you are right , I’ve been banging on about QPR being a more sustainable club for years and I shouldn’t waiver when it happens just because I like the player.

This is what we should be doing.

I think we are all guilty of this, especially with younger players.
Armstrong on 22:30 - Jul 18 with 2483 viewsnumptydumpty

This sounds like good business

Can see why clubs could be easily scammed pricewise for Sinclair.

My valuation would be £800k perhaps.

Good deal and doubt he will kick on but it wasn't to be.

I had high hopes when he first came to our attention but definitely one you could say flatters to deceive..

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Armstrong on 23:15 - Jul 18 with 2311 viewsMrSheen

I can’t bring myself to boo someone who refuses to be sold like livestock. I save my wrath for the ones that take the money for doing nothing.
Armstrong on 00:23 - Jul 19 with 2177 viewsnix

Armstrong on 21:39 - Jul 18 by Wilkinswatercarrier

If he is such a prospect why did he not get a run in the team ahead of Dykes?
He is 21, not 17, so to get £2m is fantastic work.

If he was any good he wouldn't be leaving us for Bristol City.

I don't think it's all or nothing though.

I do completely agree that anywhere near £2 million is a cracking result for us given that I didn't envisage us getting hardly anything as he's in in his last year of his contract. I also can understand why he didn't play for us much because a) defensively he was pretty crap whereas Dykes could be very useful to us particularly in set pieces and towards the end of matches when we were under the cosh and b) he couldn't finish for toffee.

But he could provide a bit of excitement when on song especially given our geriatric turn of pace as a squad and help push teams back when we were up against it, particularly towards the end of games. This tended to not apply when he started matches as he seemed to be negated pretty easily by experienced defenders when they were fresh and penalised often by refs.
Armstrong on 06:30 - Jul 19 with 1833 viewsdavman

All of this is a bit moot, isn't it?

He won't sign for whatever reason, so get what you can and move on. Paal and Dunne need to be told new contract or bye bye too.

We need to a) keep transfer fees coming in and b) ensure that assets do not walk away for nothing.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Armstrong on 07:05 - Jul 19 with 1758 viewsWestonsuperR

21 isn’t that young especially considering 61 Championship appearances , he’s had enough chance to develop and frankly hasn’t.

I do agree he should have gone on loan, a season a division or 2 below would have helped although considering his attitude I wonder if he would have agreed to go.

I’ll be shocked if we see him make it at this level.
Armstrong on 07:27 - Jul 19 with 1672 viewsdigswellhoop

BRISTOL CITY OR STOKE
SO NO AMBITION hope he has a career 😕
lost my respect
Armstrong on 07:35 - Jul 19 with 1646 viewsGus_iom

It would be quite funny if he commits to us now.....
I'm one of those who would be sad to see him leave. Love his personality, his strength and speed are awesome, and his toddler's face when he feels aggrieved and you know hes going to get booked within the next 30 seconds.
If, and its a fcking big if, he can put it all together, he will be a force of nature. Will he? I don't think so, although I think there has been a marked improvement on his ability to stay onside this season.but..but...if...if....
[Post edited 19 Jul 7:41]
Armstrong on 08:06 - Jul 19 with 1532 viewsdmm

Armstrong on 07:35 - Jul 19 by Gus_iom

It would be quite funny if he commits to us now.....
I'm one of those who would be sad to see him leave. Love his personality, his strength and speed are awesome, and his toddler's face when he feels aggrieved and you know hes going to get booked within the next 30 seconds.
If, and its a fcking big if, he can put it all together, he will be a force of nature. Will he? I don't think so, although I think there has been a marked improvement on his ability to stay onside this season.but..but...if...if....
[Post edited 19 Jul 7:41]

It may not be at all funny if Armstrong about faced as it appears his outgoing transfer will fund Celar's incoming transfer. I know which one I'd prefer.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024