Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong 22:57 - Jul 15 with 64223 viewsdigswellhoop

sorry if I'm late Armstrong is a talent sign him on a long contract he will be a great player for us if nurtured properly

This post has been edited by an administrator
Armstrong on 09:27 - Jul 19 with 4681 viewsdm97

Armstrong on 08:06 - Jul 19 by dmm

It may not be at all funny if Armstrong about faced as it appears his outgoing transfer will fund Celar's incoming transfer. I know which one I'd prefer.

Given multiple journos were reporting Celar was done yday, could be holding it up already. Or maybe they won’t announce either and we just have to wait for a training video or a team sheet on the 10th to know?

Us mere mortals as fans are not allowed to know who plays for our club or for how long we can expect them to anymore
Armstrong on 09:35 - Jul 19 with 4608 viewsDaBurgh

Armstrong on 09:27 - Jul 19 by dm97

Given multiple journos were reporting Celar was done yday, could be holding it up already. Or maybe they won’t announce either and we just have to wait for a training video or a team sheet on the 10th to know?

Us mere mortals as fans are not allowed to know who plays for our club or for how long we can expect them to anymore

I think we all, or most of us, are in agreement that Mr. Nourry is a bad a** breath of fresh air, and is doing things properly. So if he has a few petty foibles about the way he goes about things then meuh, so what.
in Nourry speramus
Armstrong on 09:36 - Jul 19 with 4592 viewsGalileo

Pretty sure I saw Armstrong in the background of one of the training pics published on the website yesterday, under the title ‘preparing for spurs’ although no telling when they were taken.

The goals reel of the new man has a hint of Charlie Austin about him.

Like to see Sincs stay but a sale to facilitate the Calar purchase is for the greater good.
Armstrong on 09:37 - Jul 19 with 4587 viewsNorthernr

I'd be very surprised if it's not all announced today. Unless they're planning a pitch reveal tomorrow, which they did with Frey who we all knew we'd signed several days in advance of them actually telling us.
Armstrong on 09:40 - Jul 19 with 4543 viewsdm97

Armstrong on 09:35 - Jul 19 by DaBurgh

I think we all, or most of us, are in agreement that Mr. Nourry is a bad a** breath of fresh air, and is doing things properly. So if he has a few petty foibles about the way he goes about things then meuh, so what.
in Nourry speramus

Never once suggested he hasn’t done a good job so far? Two things can be true at once; he’s clearly brought new ideas to a stagnating board room and the contracts/not announcing players until they’re spotted in videos is a massive PR/comms own goal.

Criticism and praise can co-exist
Armstrong on 09:42 - Jul 19 with 4524 viewsdm97

Armstrong on 09:37 - Jul 19 by Northernr

I'd be very surprised if it's not all announced today. Unless they're planning a pitch reveal tomorrow, which they did with Frey who we all knew we'd signed several days in advance of them actually telling us.

Makes sense. Just lost patience with all the unnecessary smoke and mirrors - the last two signings was very Sunday league - and that’s before the season has even started and we can moan about actual football.
Armstrong on 09:46 - Jul 19 with 4476 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Armstrong on 06:30 - Jul 19 by davman

All of this is a bit moot, isn't it?

He won't sign for whatever reason, so get what you can and move on. Paal and Dunne need to be told new contract or bye bye too.

We need to a) keep transfer fees coming in and b) ensure that assets do not walk away for nothing.

Dunne is a bit different to Pal. Pal was first choice all season, whereas Dunee was dropped and then put in at right back, where he did well.
I imagine Dunne is not signing as he doesn't think he'll be a first choice player, which is probably true. Sit on the bench, see out the last year, then get a fat signing fee. Think we would all do that.
Armstrong on 09:50 - Jul 19 with 4443 viewsNorthernr

Armstrong on 09:42 - Jul 19 by dm97

Makes sense. Just lost patience with all the unnecessary smoke and mirrors - the last two signings was very Sunday league - and that’s before the season has even started and we can moan about actual football.

Yeh I'm not a fan.
Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong on 10:10 - Jul 19 with 4257 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong on 09:42 - Jul 19 by dm97

Stefan Moore and Kaspers Gorks spring to mind.

The latter cost us a few extra hundred grand for announcing early didn’t it?
Armstrong on 10:48 - Jul 19 with 4025 viewsMaggsinho

Equally not a fan but that's nothing new though, clubs will always run to a marketing grid where they spool out new.

Both Taylor Richards and Mauricio Isla inadvertently announced their signings on social media before the club revealed it.
Armstrong on 10:48 - Jul 19 with 4020 viewsPunteR

The new TV deal gives clubs a bit more spending money as well doesn't it? Hence the £2 mill price tag . ?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Armstrong on 10:57 - Jul 19 with 3932 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Or could it be that the club's priority when signing new players is to get them in training, get them ingrained in the squad, get them some mates and get Marti to work his magic in terms of them understanding the part(s) they have to play in terms of tactical shape and pattern of play, rather than immediately throwing them in front of a camera with a scarf?

I don't know why so many people get all het up about 'signings'. They want them, lots of them and they want them now. Spend money, pay them money, just get more signings in. We need signings, signings, signings. Signings will fix everything, goals, set pieces, judicial sentences... There's nothing signings can't solve.

Some of my mates sit in the pub constantly refreshing their Twitter feeds desperate for their clubs to make signings or to see rumours of signing or theoretical signings. Sky Sports and Talksport clamber over each other desperate to anoint the biggest spending clubs as having 'a great window'. It's like watching capitalist addicts sometimes.

Personally I'd rather they be few, right, astute and ready to play for QPR come August than racking and stacking them 'just because'.

We have constantly referred to our own club as a 'basket case' (excuse the cliche) over the last couple of decades plus - with reason. We're finally showing signs of being more deliberate and considered and some people yearn for the old days? Bit odd.
Armstrong on 12:17 - Jul 19 with 3589 viewsfrancisbowles

Armstrong on 10:57 - Jul 19 by Padulas_Shampoo

Or could it be that the club's priority when signing new players is to get them in training, get them ingrained in the squad, get them some mates and get Marti to work his magic in terms of them understanding the part(s) they have to play in terms of tactical shape and pattern of play, rather than immediately throwing them in front of a camera with a scarf?

I don't know why so many people get all het up about 'signings'. They want them, lots of them and they want them now. Spend money, pay them money, just get more signings in. We need signings, signings, signings. Signings will fix everything, goals, set pieces, judicial sentences... There's nothing signings can't solve.

Some of my mates sit in the pub constantly refreshing their Twitter feeds desperate for their clubs to make signings or to see rumours of signing or theoretical signings. Sky Sports and Talksport clamber over each other desperate to anoint the biggest spending clubs as having 'a great window'. It's like watching capitalist addicts sometimes.

Personally I'd rather they be few, right, astute and ready to play for QPR come August than racking and stacking them 'just because'.

We have constantly referred to our own club as a 'basket case' (excuse the cliche) over the last couple of decades plus - with reason. We're finally showing signs of being more deliberate and considered and some people yearn for the old days? Bit odd.

...and one of the reasons they hold of is because people behave like your mates, which generates more clicks, which in turn probably generates small bits of revenue.
Every little helps, as a famous supermarket tells us.
Armstrong on 12:45 - Jul 19 with 3377 viewsPhilmyRs

Armstrong on 21:38 - Jul 18 by paulparker

I agree , I’m just a tad gutted we are losing a young player with bags of potential for peanuts

Agree with this and the view that it's a shame he's going. The club mismanaged him in my opinion, he should have had a decent loan somewhere by now. He's strong and quick and will only improve. But, I get it that we should deal if he won't sign. Shame.
Armstrong on 13:03 - Jul 19 with 3271 viewsmikeyhg

Armstrong on 12:45 - Jul 19 by PhilmyRs

Agree with this and the view that it's a shame he's going. The club mismanaged him in my opinion, he should have had a decent loan somewhere by now. He's strong and quick and will only improve. But, I get it that we should deal if he won't sign. Shame.

Not sure how to add pictures here but the deal seems to be as follows:

£2.5m with £1m add ons (lol) and 20% of future profit in case he turns into a world beater.
Of that, we have to give Shamrock Rovers £625k (25%) so just under £2m profit for us.

Fantastic deal
Armstrong on 13:04 - Jul 19 with 3246 viewsStainrod

The media dept will have a grid with days to announce things to optimise interest through the summer - personally think they have done a very good job. Logistically it also takes time - they have to have a sit down interview with the player ready, for example, a background article about his career, photos, quotes from the manager etc. Not sure it takes any longer these days, its probably just that word tends to get out early as there are so many outlets/ social media tipsters. If this is honestly the biggest complaint about the club at the moment - that they are being a little tardy in announcing the potentially 20 goal a season striker they have just signed - then that's probably as near a win as the club is likely to score with sections of the fanbase.
Armstrong on 14:16 - Jul 19 with 2915 viewssparkey

No matter your opinion on how good Armstrong is... a potential £3.5m sale with one year left on his contract is a f****** miracle
Armstrong on 14:37 - Jul 19 with 2743 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Me, sad to see him go:

Armstrong on 14:40 - Jul 19 with 2698 viewsMick_S

Armstrong on 14:16 - Jul 19 by sparkey

No matter your opinion on how good Armstrong is... a potential £3.5m sale with one year left on his contract is a f****** miracle

That’s fantastic business. I’ll miss him a bit and really hope he goes on to be the player we hoped he’d be for us.

Good luck to him.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Armstrong on 14:56 - Jul 19 with 2521 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Armstrong on 14:16 - Jul 19 by sparkey

🤣😂🤣. £2.5m plus add ons for a striker that doesn't score is Deal of the Century type stuff. Plus 20% sell on.

Nourry is a fcking wizard.
Armstrong on 15:06 - Jul 19 with 2427 viewsBklynRanger

Armstrong on 15:09 - Jul 16 by BklynRanger

Wouldn't it be beautiful if our club, for once, could be the context for one of those 'silly money' situations?

In the right direction of course. Not going to happen but one can dream.

It actually happened.

Pinch me mother.
Armstrong on 15:16 - Jul 19 with 2329 viewsNed_Kennedys

As one of our main forwards last season he contributed very little.
Hasn’t really developed under successive managers: good luck if Bristol City can get him there Championship level but seems unlikely.
Decent deal for us as he doesn’t want to play for QPR so pleased to see him gone.
Armstrong on 15:27 - Jul 19 with 2216 viewsngbqpr

Armstrong on 09:46 - Jul 19 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Dunne is a bit different to Pal. Pal was first choice all season, whereas Dunee was dropped and then put in at right back, where he did well.
I imagine Dunne is not signing as he doesn't think he'll be a first choice player, which is probably true. Sit on the bench, see out the last year, then get a fat signing fee. Think we would all do that.

Have I missed something with Dunne?

As far as I could see, it was very different to the Armstrong situation...most notably, love-in quotes from both sides when the renewal was triggered, whereas Armstrong trigger saw no response from him and a formal one liner from the club.

We all know Dunne may not suit Marti-ball in his post-pragmatism / 'my own squad' second season. But Jimmy wants a shot at still getting in the team cos he's happy at the club and arguably has proved doubters wrong once already; while Marti thinks he's good to have around the place so is happy to keep him on board for now. So the triggered extension suits both parties.

That's how I read it.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Armstrong on 15:56 - Jul 19 with 1974 viewsfrancisbowles

Armstrong on 15:27 - Jul 19 by ngbqpr

Have I missed something with Dunne?

As far as I could see, it was very different to the Armstrong situation...most notably, love-in quotes from both sides when the renewal was triggered, whereas Armstrong trigger saw no response from him and a formal one liner from the club.

We all know Dunne may not suit Marti-ball in his post-pragmatism / 'my own squad' second season. But Jimmy wants a shot at still getting in the team cos he's happy at the club and arguably has proved doubters wrong once already; while Marti thinks he's good to have around the place so is happy to keep him on board for now. So the triggered extension suits both parties.

That's how I read it.

But we still have to sell if a decent offer comes in.
Armstrong on 18:00 - Jul 19 with 1563 viewsBrianWilson

Jimmy looks first on the pitch for training. Leading the laps and a big character/leader in the squad. He probably sees this as a make or break season for himself with either getting a move elsewhere or a new long term deal here.
[Post edited 19 Jul 18:02]

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024