Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? 08:04 - Jan 7 with 9866 viewsnumptydumpty

With January window upon us, what people think about these two ....

Thomas can show in small cameos, some qualities and given Chair not here for period, my personal view, give him a go.

Bonne, clearly done well in league one, another one who never given much of an opportunity here also.

I think we personally will make a decision to not have either for rest if season.

Bonne heart where he is right now and it's true he very likely be on the jaffa cake bench here at best.

Thomas also been competing against Willock and Chair so very difficult but if we did get short or long term replacements who we going get ie they will know in all likelihood they won't get massive opportunities here this season.

Willock and Chair in one position and Dykes, Gray and Austin in other.

To me both kind of at the moment are potential Connor Washington types ie look decent at times, and definitely try hard, but will the regular long term results be there.

Obviously though if we are going for promotion, they both probably not quite up to that but who would we have as replacements.

I would be very surprised in this window, we could attract much better potential players than these two.

What do people think ???

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 08:20 - Jan 7 with 4562 viewsBAWHoops

With Thomas it looks like if they can bring in a Number 10 then they'll let him go (according to Dave Mc).
Bonne has shown he is more than capable at League 1 level. I'd imagine they would want to get their money back (around £2.5m) for him which may be tough

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 08:23 - Jan 7 with 4555 viewsNorthernr

I'd be surprised if Bonne came back but I think with the Covid situation the way it is at the moment the attitude to loans should shift.

Ideally we want these players out developing and playing games but we're in yet another unique situation with Covid now. If we were to loan out Bettache, Kelman and Masterson again, maybe Thomas as well, and then three weeks down the line be cancelling games for Covid tests again, frankly if I was the opposition I'd be pretty miffed by that and I'd have every right to be.

Whether they're good enough or not isn't really the issue, it's the logistics of carrying on with the leagues. We're either doing it or we're not. I think if clubs have had chance in january to recall loans (Chelsea!!!!!), haven't done so and are then requesting postponements in February and March they should be told to piss off, and I include us in that as well.
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 08:31 - Jan 7 with 4517 viewsnumptydumpty

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 08:23 - Jan 7 by Northernr

I'd be surprised if Bonne came back but I think with the Covid situation the way it is at the moment the attitude to loans should shift.

Ideally we want these players out developing and playing games but we're in yet another unique situation with Covid now. If we were to loan out Bettache, Kelman and Masterson again, maybe Thomas as well, and then three weeks down the line be cancelling games for Covid tests again, frankly if I was the opposition I'd be pretty miffed by that and I'd have every right to be.

Whether they're good enough or not isn't really the issue, it's the logistics of carrying on with the leagues. We're either doing it or we're not. I think if clubs have had chance in january to recall loans (Chelsea!!!!!), haven't done so and are then requesting postponements in February and March they should be told to piss off, and I include us in that as well.

I don't think covid scenario will have any effect on any transfer business Clive.

I feel transfer windows will still operate in the same way and cases predicted go down soon so the rules as they are at the moment, think number of cancellations will fall.

But we all in same situation.

No one wants call off games but can't see that impacting the way any club will operate in this transfer window myself at all personally.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 08:32 - Jan 7 with 4511 viewsNorthernr

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 08:31 - Jan 7 by numptydumpty

I don't think covid scenario will have any effect on any transfer business Clive.

I feel transfer windows will still operate in the same way and cases predicted go down soon so the rules as they are at the moment, think number of cancellations will fall.

No one wants call off games but can't see that impacting the way any club will operate in this transfer window myself at all personally.

Maybe not, but it should. If QPR spend January loaning out four or five players, then ask for postponements in February... well I'd give that short shrift personally.
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:05 - Jan 7 with 4366 viewsstevec

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 08:32 - Jan 7 by Northernr

Maybe not, but it should. If QPR spend January loaning out four or five players, then ask for postponements in February... well I'd give that short shrift personally.

Good point. Am I right thinking Premier clubs have to name a squad, hence if you’re not in it you’re not in it, so they are slightly hamstrung by League rules? Not sure if there’s an equivalent in the EFL.
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:13 - Jan 7 with 4346 viewsgazza1

Neither are good enough to get a regular place in the starting line up and I doubt if they ever will be.....sell if we can.
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:19 - Jan 7 with 4334 viewsNorthernr

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:05 - Jan 7 by stevec

Good point. Am I right thinking Premier clubs have to name a squad, hence if you’re not in it you’re not in it, so they are slightly hamstrung by League rules? Not sure if there’s an equivalent in the EFL.

I think we have the 25 man squad thing this year too, not that it matters for most in this league as not many have 25 senior players.
U23s don't count though, so that would be all of our loans, and the majority of Chelsea's 30-odd. You can use as many of them as you like.
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:25 - Jan 7 with 4317 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Thomas is a useful 'utility player' I'd maybe keep him he may come good.

I said that about cousins though.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:34 - Jan 7 with 4255 viewsgazza1

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:25 - Jan 7 by Metallica_Hoop

Thomas is a useful 'utility player' I'd maybe keep him he may come good.

I said that about cousins though.

Yes I get what you mean re Thomas.....appears to have a good attitude. Not sure he will be right for us though. Not easy calls for MW.
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:48 - Jan 7 with 4207 viewsfrancisbowles

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:34 - Jan 7 by gazza1

Yes I get what you mean re Thomas.....appears to have a good attitude. Not sure he will be right for us though. Not easy calls for MW.

Easy decision if two criteria are met. Do any bids meet our valuation and does the player want to move. If yes they leave if no they stay and fight for their place.

I agree with Northern on loans. We shouldn't be loaning our players out unless their are replacements signed or unless it is to a league where we can do short term moves.
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:48 - Jan 7 with 4211 viewscpgerber

The opposite is true also: some teams need the loans coming in to make up the numbers, otherwise they will have to postpone games should covid break out in their squads. It will all be about getting the balance right.

In Italy, I think, if there is covid in the squad, the entire squad goes into quarantine. Doesn't matter if you have 11 or 50 fit players, everyone in quarantine. How does it work in the UK?
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 10:07 - Jan 7 with 4148 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:34 - Jan 7 by gazza1

He was starting to look good a couple of months back. I was watching him in the warmups once and he was pinging the ball in the net from all over the place, really impressive. Then he got injured again.

Apart from one good sub appearance he’s looked mostly anonymous and quite easy for the opposition to deal with.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 10:08]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 10:10 - Jan 7 with 4127 viewsgazza1

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:48 - Jan 7 by francisbowles

Easy decision if two criteria are met. Do any bids meet our valuation and does the player want to move. If yes they leave if no they stay and fight for their place.

I agree with Northern on loans. We shouldn't be loaning our players out unless their are replacements signed or unless it is to a league where we can do short term moves.

Rarely are these decisions easy unless there are issues with the players..........it is easier if the player 'wants out' though.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 10:13]
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 10:10 - Jan 7 with 4129 viewsdaveB

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 08:31 - Jan 7 by numptydumpty

It's already having an effect with several premier league clubs recalling players from loans and teams less keen to loan players out

I can't see any of the current squad being loaned out again this season which is a shame for them but as Clive said they may be needed here.
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 10:50 - Jan 7 with 3974 viewsLazyFan

I would sell both.

Thomas is decent but not going to add to our existing attack which has moved on a lot since we signed him.

Bonne is also decent but does not want to be a backup and that's all we can offer him. I am not sure he cost £2.5m, when we looked at the accounts in the past and broke it down it was more like just over £1m. Possibly there we addons which we won't have to pay ALL of them if he's sold I would assume. All guesswork this.

We could sell Bonne to lower league teams for £1.5m and from that have a punt on another forward elsewhere. Another one we can look to develop.

Sell both, buy a LB and a Forward and see how we go again.

zzzzzzzzzz

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 10:58 - Jan 7 with 3941 viewsBklynRanger

I'd keep them both for now, giving Thomas more time and increasing the opportunities to either sell or bring back Bonne in the summer.

But Covid might force our hand as stated. Our league position and AFCON are huge drivers too. If we were bouncing comfortably around 16th with survival as the goal I don't think there'd be any problem getting Thomas involved while Chair is away.

But we obviously have a chance of promotion and Warbs, Les etc won't want to be kicking themselves later for not at least trying to get equal or better cover for Ilias at a crucial moment. And the financial stakes are so high it may involve moving Thomas on rather than sticking with him. Same possibly for Bonne if it came to it.

Any other season it's an easy 'keep for now' for me, but with those two players in this situation they should do what they need to I think.
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 11:05 - Jan 7 with 3916 viewsNorthantsHoop

Thomas not sure where he fits into our playing structure, not a creative midfield player and definately not a wing back, if teams want to buy him, then let him go.
Bonne is a strange one, bought at a time when we were short on owning strikers, think Warbs gave him a fair chance but not delivered. If we get at least what we paid for him, let him go.
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 11:07 - Jan 7 with 3890 viewsdmm

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 09:19 - Jan 7 by Northernr

I think we have the 25 man squad thing this year too, not that it matters for most in this league as not many have 25 senior players.
U23s don't count though, so that would be all of our loans, and the majority of Chelsea's 30-odd. You can use as many of them as you like.

It is a 25 player squad this season but it's U21 players who are not counted not U23s.
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 11:12 - Jan 7 with 3872 viewsRBlock

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 10:07 - Jan 7 by CliveWilsonSaid

He was starting to look good a couple of months back. I was watching him in the warmups once and he was pinging the ball in the net from all over the place, really impressive. Then he got injured again.

Apart from one good sub appearance he’s looked mostly anonymous and quite easy for the opposition to deal with.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 10:08]

I had quite high hopes for Thomas and think it's a real shame how it's panned out. I still think there is something there, he's got great technique. If he could stay fit and get a decent run of games to play himself into form, I think he could still be a valuable member of the squad. Say we don't go up this year, as is most likely, one of Chair or Willock get picked off, we'll need to revamp the squad and go again. George Thomas, having had a successful six month loan spell in League 1, would be an asset.

[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 11:13]
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 11:16 - Jan 7 with 3832 viewsWestbourneR

Thomas must be dreadful in training because he simply doesn't get a look in to start - almost ever. I quite like what I see. He's physical, hard-working, good technique, right attitude.

All this does not apply if he plays wing back. He's a terrible wing back.

Bonne. Who knows? Some things I liked, he's good in he air on crosses and can be a sharp finisher. Just can't really say. Ipswich are a big club in L1 and he'd be marquee singing for them. I imagine he cost no more than £1mill so if they offered £2.5mill plus we should probably let him go.

Third in line up front should be Sinclair or Kelman.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 11:25 - Jan 7 with 3783 viewsderbyhoop

Not convinced about either.
Thomas looks like a decent L1 player. But rejected by Leicester and Coventry doesn't suggest Championship level.
Bonne might be an option, but is he going to displace Austin, Dykes or Gray?
Best to leave him on loan and see if we need him, come end of season.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 11:41 - Jan 7 with 3721 viewspaulhoop2

Thomas needs to go I’m afraid use the space / wages to get somone in less injury prone

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 13:21 - Jan 7 with 3528 viewsStainrod

I would sell both to raise money.

Issue is interest seems to be to loan them - League One clubs all skint.

Not sure how Sunderland and Wigan see it as in our interest to simply send Bonne out on another loan - our intention should be to start a bidding war. However, although Bonne has scored 11 goals this season he hasn't scored since November so even in L1 he is good rather than prolific.

Thomas - never seen anything there tbh. The only reason we were playing one up top was to accommodate Willock and Chair. If we don't have Chair lets either get in a game-changing Number 10 if we can (the Tottenham lad we were linked to?) or if not keep the formation we played at Brum

If we want two number 10s we have much better options - Stefan, Dozell and Amos can all play further forward (indeed I think Stef is much more effective there).
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 13:41 - Jan 7 with 3465 viewsDavieQPR

Thomas has his uses when trying to see a game out. He is like a wasp at a picnic. Don't think Bonne would be happy sitting on the bench and don't think he is Championship standard. He also doesn't really want to be here.
George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 14:29 - Jan 7 with 3351 viewsMatch82

George Thomas and Macauley Bonne - keep or move on ?? on 11:16 - Jan 7 by WestbourneR

Thomas must be dreadful in training because he simply doesn't get a look in to start - almost ever. I quite like what I see. He's physical, hard-working, good technique, right attitude.

All this does not apply if he plays wing back. He's a terrible wing back.

Bonne. Who knows? Some things I liked, he's good in he air on crosses and can be a sharp finisher. Just can't really say. Ipswich are a big club in L1 and he'd be marquee singing for them. I imagine he cost no more than £1mill so if they offered £2.5mill plus we should probably let him go.

Third in line up front should be Sinclair or Kelman.

I think he's a little unlucky that the first two names on the team sheet are willock and chair, you can't play all three of them,and a forward, if we are going with wingbacks. I think he will get a run while Chair is at AFCON
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024