Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Still without a club….. 02:20 - Dec 30 with 5375 viewsDoudou87

Amos and Johansen, feel for Amos always liked him as a player very honest and hard working surely he will find a club soon? Also surprised Johansen hasn't got a one year contract somewhere, lost his legs but still capable.

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

Still without a club….. on 07:56 - Dec 30 with 4358 viewsHoopstar

It's a shame for Amos - always came across as a genuinely nice lad, and definitely had some ability. Not surprising with the financial pressures facing so many clubs that nobody has taken the punt on him given his horrendous injury record.

A fit, uninjured Amos would probably have been a great fit playing the higher midfield role in this Marti team as he was absolutely rapid over ten metres, and could press effectively and consistently. That away game at Bournemouth (I think?) where he did his knee again was a glimpse of what could have been for him as he'd been brilliant before the injury which was the end of him really.

We miss the initial Stefan Johansen we signed terribly before the legs gave up- I think there was a lot of talk of his being settled in London with kids in schools etc. when he joined us from Fulham which helped his decision to join us in the first place. Not a lot of clubs around here that he'd get into the side with no legs, would have thought he'd be able to play for someone back in Norway or the continent even with little to no gas left but perhaps doesn't fancy it if being settled here.
Still without a club….. on 08:51 - Dec 30 with 4193 viewsLandshark

What I don't understand with someone like Amos (and others in his position like De Gea). Why don't they drop a couple of leagues on a short 3 month contract, show the ability, show they are fit and then get a contract elsewhere? Seems criminal to have missed 5 months of football unless he has been injured that whole time.
Still without a club….. on 12:25 - Dec 30 with 3880 viewsSpaceman_P

I agree.... Amos should go to someone like Crawley and show that he's got ability and I am sure he'd be snapped up quick enough again by a decent League 1 or Championship side.

As for Stefan, I expect he'll do a Charlie Austin.
Still without a club….. on 13:05 - Dec 30 with 3786 viewsDoudou87

At 26 Amos should have plenty more to give, let’s hope having a 6 month absence from the game he’s concentrated on his fitness and comes back stronger. Mentally it must be a massive challenge for him, from the brink of the Tottenham first team, two big injuries to being released by us and not picked up will need strong mental strength.

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

Still without a club….. on 13:11 - Dec 30 with 3741 viewsNorthernr

One of the podcasty types, maybe Deeney, was saying a few weeks ago the game is currently rife with lads who've been playing Prem reserve level, or Championship, earning £xxx and think that's them, that's their level and won't drop down to Lg1 or Lg2 to earn £x even if it means not playing.

If you look at where the players we've released recently have ended up (or not) for me it shows how awry our recruitment has gone and how much we overpay.
Still without a club….. on 13:12 - Dec 30 with 3740 viewsQPROslo

Still without a club….. on 07:56 - Dec 30 by Hoopstar

It's a shame for Amos - always came across as a genuinely nice lad, and definitely had some ability. Not surprising with the financial pressures facing so many clubs that nobody has taken the punt on him given his horrendous injury record.

A fit, uninjured Amos would probably have been a great fit playing the higher midfield role in this Marti team as he was absolutely rapid over ten metres, and could press effectively and consistently. That away game at Bournemouth (I think?) where he did his knee again was a glimpse of what could have been for him as he'd been brilliant before the injury which was the end of him really.

We miss the initial Stefan Johansen we signed terribly before the legs gave up- I think there was a lot of talk of his being settled in London with kids in schools etc. when he joined us from Fulham which helped his decision to join us in the first place. Not a lot of clubs around here that he'd get into the side with no legs, would have thought he'd be able to play for someone back in Norway or the continent even with little to no gas left but perhaps doesn't fancy it if being settled here.

You need legs to play football, even in Norway!
Still without a club….. on 13:32 - Dec 30 with 3633 viewsWatford_Ranger

Still without a club….. on 13:05 - Dec 30 by Doudou87

At 26 Amos should have plenty more to give, let’s hope having a 6 month absence from the game he’s concentrated on his fitness and comes back stronger. Mentally it must be a massive challenge for him, from the brink of the Tottenham first team, two big injuries to being released by us and not picked up will need strong mental strength.

Don’t disagree but maybe he (or agent) thinks he’s better off as a free agent and for a club to need someone immediately. Or blow his cruciate on a short term deal at Crawley and he’s done. More likely just thinks he’s too good for it and if a club even has any budget at that level for him the pride stops him.

Thought he’d do the tour of random Asian leagues more likely.
Still without a club….. on 13:43 - Dec 30 with 3587 viewsrbee

I liked Luke as well, box to box player, always supporting the attack.

Last I heard he was training with Reading but that didn't work out for him.
Login to get fewer ads

Still without a club….. on 13:49 - Dec 30 with 3555 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Still without a club….. on 13:11 - Dec 30 by Northernr

One of the podcasty types, maybe Deeney, was saying a few weeks ago the game is currently rife with lads who've been playing Prem reserve level, or Championship, earning £xxx and think that's them, that's their level and won't drop down to Lg1 or Lg2 to earn £x even if it means not playing.

If you look at where the players we've released recently have ended up (or not) for me it shows how awry our recruitment has gone and how much we overpay.

It is very sad. Think about all those Division 1 players who use to drop down a level back in the day (or even join *shock, horror* a less heralded side in the top division). Now the best ones would be off to Saudi and the others would rather go on TikTok to monetise their 'talent'.

If it's happening with players like Amos too, who have played less than a hundred matches at Championship level, that's bonkers.
Still without a club….. on 13:53 - Dec 30 with 3536 viewskensalriser

It's not just us overpaying, it's everyone. It's an industry wide rewarding of failure.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Still without a club….. on 14:14 - Dec 30 with 3482 viewsNorthernr

Still without a club….. on 13:53 - Dec 30 by kensalriser

It's not just us overpaying, it's everyone. It's an industry wide rewarding of failure.

totally agree, the wages to turnover of every club in our division bar Plymouth and Rotherham is lunacy. You wouldn't see it in any other business, certainly none of the businesses that made the owners rich in the first place.
Still without a club….. on 14:52 - Dec 30 with 3388 viewsLimehouseR

Still without a club….. on 14:14 - Dec 30 by Northernr

totally agree, the wages to turnover of every club in our division bar Plymouth and Rotherham is lunacy. You wouldn't see it in any other business, certainly none of the businesses that made the owners rich in the first place.

The lunacy comes from the Premier League. Without the ridiculous wages in the Championship the gap would be even bigger between the divisions if that's even possible. Just look at who sits in the top 4 this season in the Championship and the bottom 3 of the Premier. What hope for the rest?

Not saying I agree with the wages I just think if we/they did pay that much less there would be even more of these half decent players floating around without a club because they'd see it as beneath them to be paid even what most of us could only dream of anyway. 5K a week?! Yes please.
Still without a club….. on 15:01 - Dec 30 with 3346 viewsRuislipHoop

There is a reason they don’t have a club,they are not good enough.Amos would struggle in the national league and Johansen is to slow.
Still without a club….. on 15:17 - Dec 30 with 3299 viewsLazyFan

Amos is a decent player and probably too good for L1. But why would a L1 manager sign Amos?

You see even if Amos dropped his wage demands to L1 level, that would be at the top end, and then a manager has to hope he never gets injured, as that's a lot of money to waste on a player who never plays when you could have had two other L1 players for that price who do play.

Therefore the offers that Amos gets will be the very low end of L1 as managers cannot take the risk that he gets injured. And at that point, Amos would probably feel they are taking the pish. When in reality, that's the drop. Each time you drop a division you fall hard on wages, prem to Champ to L1 to L2 and so on. If your injured all the time, then the drop will be harder.

This is why we don't see them at clubs and players like Daniel Sturridge retire early at 34, really 33 as he stopped playing for Perth which was retirement anyway so, that's 32. Daniel Sturridge was a really talented player, no defender would touch him in the box as they would give away a penalty and everyone knew it.

But like Amos always injured and therefore in the end no one really would touch him. Not everyone has Tyler Roberts agent and can get a high-paying move to Brum. Roberts has only played 3 games for Brum ... so far, scored none and if you total the mins its only 120 mins (no joke). So, all that transfer money and wages for less than 2 games mins wise. Laird has only played 8 games as well and is now injured again.

Injured players no matter how good, are useless as they are injured. One issue that the club has changed, yes a positive change is we seemed to have reduced this in the squad overall. Its taken a very long time. The only long-term absence we have now is Richards. They have even managed to get JCS fit and playing ... amazing!

Lets hope the recent injuries are only short term ones and then we can pretend that Richards does not exist and this problem is now solved. The next problem is getting players good enough for the Champ of course.

zzzzzzzzzz

Still without a club….. on 16:24 - Dec 30 with 3161 viewsStainrod

For sure, but even Premier League clubs have loads of ex reserve and youth players who have more or less disappeared. The attitude Deeney highlights absolutely stinks and is surely rife in the game. Not only does it show the only interest of a lot of these players is the money, and the related status, with the football itself barely an after-thought; it also shows how absolutely dumb they are because it must be pretty obvious that there are a limited number of Prem and Champ clubs and if you can't get one of those you need to step down a league. You aren't going to rebuild your career siting on your playstation at home with with the occasional night out at a club trying to impress some wannabe wag that you are still the geezer. Most of us have suffered career setbacks and take some job we consider beneath us or at least sub-optimal, but we crack on with it and eventually come back stronger and more successful. If you are a sportsman without that mental steel, then you deserve no career - or sympathy.
Still without a club….. on 16:44 - Dec 30 with 3090 viewsLblock

No surprise to me that Amos has no club - we’re probably the only loons that would touch him now.
Never ever saw what anyone else saw in him, never saw him stand out in games and he always seemed in “self preservation mode” to me.

The inside track from Reading was the same - wasn’t 100% committed and too fragile for a 50 game season.

If we offer him a contract of any size, shape, length or magnitude then whoever makes that offer needs to be tarred and feathered on Shepherds Bush Green

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Still without a club….. on 16:49 - Dec 30 with 3077 viewsjoe90

I’d be really surprised if the reason Amos hasn’t moved to a new club is because he won’t drop down a league. I suspect it’s due to his history of injuries, which is a shame as he was a good player.
Still without a club….. on 16:59 - Dec 30 with 3049 viewscorse

Johansen: Cart horse, legs gone, glue factory calling
Amos: legs probably gone, the few times i saw him play it looked that he is not a very good player, league two calling.
Still without a club….. on 17:01 - Dec 30 with 3034 viewsStainrod

Still without a club….. on 16:49 - Dec 30 by joe90

I’d be really surprised if the reason Amos hasn’t moved to a new club is because he won’t drop down a league. I suspect it’s due to his history of injuries, which is a shame as he was a good player.

But then surely you accept the much lower wages or pay as you play? For most footballers its a choice between earning x thousand a week or stacking shelves. Few are going to re-invent themselves as tech entrepreneurs. So sure, you would much prefer to be earning 10k a week (while thinking you really should be earning 100k a week like that player you were in the Spurs youth academy with and everyone said you were better than), but if you can't, then 3k a week is still a lot better than the 300 a week you might get at Asda. Unless I'm missing something?
Still without a club….. on 17:29 - Dec 30 with 2917 viewspaulparker

Still without a club….. on 15:01 - Dec 30 by RuislipHoop

There is a reason they don’t have a club,they are not good enough.Amos would struggle in the national league and Johansen is to slow.

Totally agree
The Amos love in on here is absurd , the bloke contributed bar a few games absolutely fcuk all

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Still without a club….. on 17:56 - Dec 30 with 2860 viewsWatford_Ranger

Meanwhile Hamalainen is a title winner and playing in European competition.
Still without a club….. on 18:19 - Dec 30 with 2777 viewslassel

Still without a club….. on 17:56 - Dec 30 by Watford_Ranger

Meanwhile Hamalainen is a title winner and playing in European competition.

But he had a funny name and was willing to go out on loan so we could use his wages elsewhere so he became the boo boy.
Still without a club….. on 18:28 - Dec 30 with 2743 viewsjoe90

Still without a club….. on 17:01 - Dec 30 by Stainrod

But then surely you accept the much lower wages or pay as you play? For most footballers its a choice between earning x thousand a week or stacking shelves. Few are going to re-invent themselves as tech entrepreneurs. So sure, you would much prefer to be earning 10k a week (while thinking you really should be earning 100k a week like that player you were in the Spurs youth academy with and everyone said you were better than), but if you can't, then 3k a week is still a lot better than the 300 a week you might get at Asda. Unless I'm missing something?

Who says he’s been offered anything?

I highly doubt his other option is working in Asda. With the money he’s made in his short career he could afford to pay his way into pretty much any uni. Or he might take a couple of years off and travel the world. Who the hell knows what he wants to do? Crazy as it sounds, he might not even like football that much.
Still without a club….. on 18:29 - Dec 30 with 2741 viewsWatford_Ranger

Still without a club….. on 18:19 - Dec 30 by lassel

But he had a funny name and was willing to go out on loan so we could use his wages elsewhere so he became the boo boy.

He was dreadful though.
Still without a club….. on 18:37 - Dec 30 with 2708 viewsBoston

Still without a club….. on 18:29 - Dec 30 by Watford_Ranger

He was dreadful though.

...yeah but, only at football.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024