Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Once upon a time in iraq. 15:54 - Aug 11 with 4568 viewsqpr_1968

anyone watch this 5 part series that finished yesterday on bb2.
very powerful, and opened your eyes to how brave people can be when backs to the wall situations.
again the normal every day person suffered, especially when isis came bowling in mosul and tikrit.
very well put series from start to finish......worth a watch on catch up if you missed it.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Once upon a time in iraq. on 16:06 - Aug 11 with 3762 viewsDannyPaddox

The normal everyday person suffered especially when the US, the UK, the Poles, and the Aussies, came bowling in in the first place. A compelling documentary. The sheer irresponsibility and fcukwittery of the Bush administration and its goon allies is astounding.
Once upon a time in iraq. on 16:31 - Aug 11 with 3697 viewsqpr_1968

Once upon a time in iraq. on 16:06 - Aug 11 by DannyPaddox

The normal everyday person suffered especially when the US, the UK, the Poles, and the Aussies, came bowling in in the first place. A compelling documentary. The sheer irresponsibility and fcukwittery of the Bush administration and its goon allies is astounding.

agree with all you said there, all that suffering at first, and then the nail in the coffin when isis took over. first i.d heard of that speicher massacre, unbelievably cruel.

Once upon a time in iraq. on 17:24 - Aug 11 with 3626 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Difficult viewing.

We've attacked three other countries since then so no lessons learned.
Once upon a time in iraq. on 20:24 - Aug 11 with 3530 viewspeejaybee

Once upon a time in iraq. on 17:24 - Aug 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Difficult viewing.

And those 3 other countries were.???????????????????????

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Once upon a time in iraq. on 20:43 - Aug 11 with 3496 viewsPaddyhoops

Once upon a time in iraq. on 17:24 - Aug 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Difficult viewing.

Glad somebody brought this up. Astonishing television and if anybody wasn't moved by this, they must have had thier heart replaced by a swinging brick.
Blair and Dubwa come out of very badly. Shown up for the bell ends they were and are.
Can't think why the tories are so keen to get rid of the BBC. God forbid if an organisation told the truth.
Once again, just Astonishing Television.
Once upon a time in iraq. on 21:17 - Aug 11 with 3455 viewsquickpassrotter

Excellent 5-part series.
Watched a lot of good documentaries recently, like many i guess. This was right up there.
I found it very harrowing.
Some if not most of the US decision making was absurd and totally damaging. As always, it's the everyday people who suffer, and those in Iraq certainly did.
Well worth watching.
Once upon a time in iraq. on 21:44 - Aug 11 with 3405 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Once upon a time in iraq. on 20:24 - Aug 11 by peejaybee

And those 3 other countries were.???????????????????????

Libya, Syria, Iran, and arguably Venezuela.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 21:46]
Once upon a time in iraq. on 22:14 - Aug 11 with 3360 viewsOutWestR

Superb piece of television. It’s easy to knock the beeb, but when they broadcast stuff like this you realise how good it can be at times.

Not quite on the same level, but the recent Murdoch documentary is also worth watching.
Login to get fewer ads

Once upon a time in iraq. on 22:17 - Aug 11 with 3354 viewsqpr_1968

Once upon a time in iraq. on 22:14 - Aug 11 by OutWestR

Superb piece of television. It’s easy to knock the beeb, but when they broadcast stuff like this you realise how good it can be at times.

Not quite on the same level, but the recent Murdoch documentary is also worth watching.

they do get knocked, but that was bbc at their best.

Once upon a time in iraq. on 22:30 - Aug 11 with 3332 viewsBucksRanger

Once upon a time in iraq. on 21:44 - Aug 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Did we send in troops or just give them a stern talking to?

Afghanistan - think we actually put troops in there.
Once upon a time in iraq. on 22:57 - Aug 11 with 3300 viewsHanwellHoopster

Will give this a watch, thanks.

PS - Must confess, I'm quite confused between the Iraq / Syria comparison.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 22:58]
Once upon a time in iraq. on 23:34 - Aug 11 with 3253 viewsqpr_1968

Once upon a time in iraq. on 22:57 - Aug 11 by HanwellHoopster

Will give this a watch, thanks.

PS - Must confess, I'm quite confused between the Iraq / Syria comparison.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 22:58]

iraq and syria are 2 of the 7 countries that isis or isil, (islamic state of iraq and the levant) want to take. levant is the piece of land that covers the 7 countries.
no borders.

Once upon a time in iraq. on 03:18 - Aug 12 with 3182 viewstimcocking

Once upon a time in iraq. on 20:43 - Aug 11 by Paddyhoops

Glad somebody brought this up. Astonishing television and if anybody wasn't moved by this, they must have had thier heart replaced by a swinging brick.
Blair and Dubwa come out of very badly. Shown up for the bell ends they were and are.
Can't think why the tories are so keen to get rid of the BBC. God forbid if an organisation told the truth.
Once again, just Astonishing Television.

Better not say it.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 3:33]
Once upon a time in iraq. on 07:34 - Aug 12 with 3095 viewsdistortR

I'm sure some of you have read 'imperial life in the emerald city', about the actions of, primarily, the Americans after the invasion of Iraq. Jaw dropping at times.

The documentary made me want to cry - the pain of the Iraqi people and the fact that, politically, we have learnt nothing.
Once upon a time in iraq. on 07:48 - Aug 12 with 3087 viewsJuzzie

Oil, oil, oil.

No one would give a toss about those countries otherwise.
Once upon a time in iraq. on 09:33 - Aug 12 with 3034 viewsjoe90

When did we attack Iran?

Amazing show, really brought home the reality of the conflict. I'd even say one of the best war documentaries I've ever seen.

My brother did a tour, and the stories he has are fascinating and shocking. Even though they're probably not unique experiences the brutality of war is always fresh and something we can never really get use to.
Once upon a time in iraq. on 09:50 - Aug 12 with 3008 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Once upon a time in iraq. on 07:34 - Aug 12 by distortR

I'm sure some of you have read 'imperial life in the emerald city', about the actions of, primarily, the Americans after the invasion of Iraq. Jaw dropping at times.

The documentary made me want to cry - the pain of the Iraqi people and the fact that, politically, we have learnt nothing.

I'll put the book on my list. Same with the documentary, definitely.

Might not be for this year, though. I think it's important to balance what info we absorb for good mental health- should be a mixture of education and entertainment, light and heavy, serious and humorous - and I've overdosed on the heavy stuff recently.

I'm re-watching Bagpuss next.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Once upon a time in iraq. on 13:07 - Aug 12 with 2912 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Once upon a time in iraq. on 09:33 - Aug 12 by joe90

When did we attack Iran?

Amazing show, really brought home the reality of the conflict. I'd even say one of the best war documentaries I've ever seen.

My brother did a tour, and the stories he has are fascinating and shocking. Even though they're probably not unique experiences the brutality of war is always fresh and something we can never really get use to.

We (the West) illegally turned Qasem Solemaini into Tomato paste in January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53345885?intlink_from_url=
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 13:18]
Once upon a time in iraq. on 13:26 - Aug 12 with 2869 viewsBucksRanger

That's a big 'We'. I thought you were referring to just the UK.

I had no idea the attacks could have also involved America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the EU, Switzerland, and the Vatican City.

Phew! I thought you believed the UK was an out of control rogue state bullying the peace loving demagogues controlling Libya, Syria and Iran.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 13:30]
Once upon a time in iraq. on 13:34 - Aug 12 with 2848 viewsjoe90

Once upon a time in iraq. on 13:07 - Aug 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

America assassinated him whilst he was in Iraq. Saying we (the west) is very misleading.

I don't necessarily think it was the right thing to do, but I'd be interested to see why you think Qasem was in Iraq in the first place. Also, do you know much about him and why he may have been a target?
Once upon a time in iraq. on 13:36 - Aug 12 with 2843 viewsdanehoop

erm, we haven't attacked Iran or Venezuela.

Never knowingly understood

Once upon a time in iraq. on 13:39 - Aug 12 with 2838 viewsToast_R

Once upon a time in iraq. on 13:07 - Aug 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

One less evil bastard in the world. Iran then killed more Iranians during their staged week of national mourning, downed a passenger jet a tried to pathetically cover it up.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 13:40]
Once upon a time in iraq. on 14:42 - Aug 12 with 2802 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

This thread has taken a turn away from the well meaning original post, and I apologise for my part in that. I won't comment further after this clarification. Feel free to PM if you want the full BazzaInTheLoft experiance.

When I say 'we' I mean the Western actors in the Iraq War and when I say 'attacked' I mean any kind of military intervention. I'm not Google but you can find lots of mainstream media coverage of military (and civilian) attacks in Iran, Venezuela, Yemen, Pakistan, Somalia, Ukraine amongst others. All taken place since the Iraq War.

Please note this isn't support for those countries, just a comment on the futility of Western military policy.
Once upon a time in iraq. on 14:59 - Aug 12 with 2774 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Desperately sad series. What I find incredibly difficult to fathom is the total absence of any kind of International War Crimes Court convened in Iraq to deal with ISIS members and their facilitators. They had years to sort this out rather than just leave it up to the Kurds and Iraqis to keep some of them in prison and allow many of the others to return, unpunished, to the U.K. and elsewhere.
Once upon a time in iraq. on 16:05 - Aug 12 with 2703 viewskensalriser

Once upon a time in iraq. on 14:59 - Aug 12 by Beckenhamhoop

Desperately sad series. What I find incredibly difficult to fathom is the total absence of any kind of International War Crimes Court convened in Iraq to deal with ISIS members and their facilitators. They had years to sort this out rather than just leave it up to the Kurds and Iraqis to keep some of them in prison and allow many of the others to return, unpunished, to the U.K. and elsewhere.

The Kurds got hung out to dry, again.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024