Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Season over for EFL 18:26 - Apr 30 with 44724 viewsGloucs_R

According to talksport. League 1 and 2

https://talksport.com/football/efl/700954/efl-below-championship-unlikely-resume
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 18:27]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Season over for EFL on 17:30 - May 15 with 3041 viewsDannyPaddox

I don’t get why, in Div 1, Oxford Pompey Fleetwood & Peterborough don’t want to the end the season now. They’ve all vetoed themselves a guaranteed place in the play-offs. Play out the rest of the league games and they’re more likely to miss out on the play-offs as they are to get automatic promotion. Also I thought playing games behind closed doors was a big financial drain on the lower league clubs so why would they want a scenario in which they play more?
Season over for EFL on 17:32 - May 15 with 3033 viewsNorthernr

Season over for EFL on 17:30 - May 15 by DannyPaddox

I don’t get why, in Div 1, Oxford Pompey Fleetwood & Peterborough don’t want to the end the season now. They’ve all vetoed themselves a guaranteed place in the play-offs. Play out the rest of the league games and they’re more likely to miss out on the play-offs as they are to get automatic promotion. Also I thought playing games behind closed doors was a big financial drain on the lower league clubs so why would they want a scenario in which they play more?

Well I guess they're seeing the way the wind is blowing which is towards no promotion relegation, or certainly no play-offs, if you don't earn it. Premier League noises earlier this week about no promotion from the Championship unless they play the games will soon trickle down.
Season over for EFL on 20:33 - May 15 with 2870 viewsterryb

Season over for EFL on 17:32 - May 15 by Northernr

Well I guess they're seeing the way the wind is blowing which is towards no promotion relegation, or certainly no play-offs, if you don't earn it. Premier League noises earlier this week about no promotion from the Championship unless they play the games will soon trickle down.

But the EFL have already decided that they can promote, relegate between their own divisions. Four to be promoted from Division Two must mean three to be relegated from Division One.

I do understand that The Championship would need to be completed for The Premier to accept promotion, but by not completeing Division Two they have given The National League an opportunity to declare Barrow as champions to fill the role vacated by Bury.

I think the problem with Division One is agreeing which system to use if matches are not completed. I read somewhere that one system had Peterborough in the play offs but anorther system diidn't.
Season over for EFL on 12:13 - May 17 with 2617 viewsloftboy

In one of the papers today it’s been suggested that League 2 and the national league will merge to form League 2 north and south, that would make a lot of sense.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Season over for EFL on 14:13 - May 17 with 2517 viewsOldPedro

Season over for EFL on 17:32 - May 15 by Northernr

Unsure about what to do about promotion if the Championship is not completed but if the Premier League do finish their season, surely the teams in the bottom 3 should still be relegated even if you don't promote teams from the Championship ? The bottom 3 will deserve to be relegated.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Season over for EFL on 01:52 - May 18 with 2341 viewsfrancisbowles

Season over for EFL on 14:13 - May 17 by OldPedro

Unsure about what to do about promotion if the Championship is not completed but if the Premier League do finish their season, surely the teams in the bottom 3 should still be relegated even if you don't promote teams from the Championship ? The bottom 3 will deserve to be relegated.

Agreed. If necessary we will have a 27 team Championship for one season with the
top four earning automatic promotion. From 5th to 12th to playoff and the winners of each of the two groups of four to go up as well.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 9:18]
Season over for EFL on 13:08 - May 18 with 2207 viewsThe_Beast1976

No chance of it happening though, unless the bottom 3 is made up of any 3 from Bournemouth, Brighton, Norwich and Watford
Season over for EFL on 13:58 - May 18 with 2148 viewsdaveB

if no one comes up then no one will go down which is why they will finish the season whenever they can
Login to get fewer ads

Season over for EFL on 14:59 - May 18 with 2082 viewsQPR_Jim

Is it possible to complete the championship with an 8 team play-off for promotion and the same for relegation? Each mini-tournament would be 14 games (1 match week) winner and runner-up promoted with the 3rd place final deciding the final promotion spot. The relegation tournament would be the same in reverse with losing teams continuing and the semi-final losers being relegated and the semi-final winners playing again to see who survives.

In 28 games you could have a completed season with some logic to it. Otherwise there's 108 games left to play to complete the season. It would be harsh on say Cardiff who would miss out on goal difference or Leeds having to go through the tournament rather than automatic, but give an opportunity to those in and around the playoffs to earn promotion.
Season over for EFL (n/t) on 20:27 - May 18 with 1987 viewsMiss_Terraces

As bad as this suspension has been, just imagine if it had been 2010/11, these are the games we would have missed out on

Palace 2-1 h
Doncaster 1-0 a
Sheff utd 3-0 h
Scunthorpe 1-4 a
Barnsley 1-0 a
Derby 0-0 h
Cardiff 2-2 a
Hull 1-1 h
Watford 2-0 a
Leeds 1-2 h

That's so many great games and memories lost. Then we'd have to play in that league with the best bit taken away from us. Small mercies hey,

I know that's 10 games rather than 9 but I've taken March 13th as the cut off point
[Post edited 18 May 2020 20:39]

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Season over for EFL on 13:27 - May 19 with 1835 viewsWatford_Ranger

In a shock twist, Hull, who barely got a point since Bowen and Grosicki left and looked absolutely nailed on to drop below at least one of the three at the bottom aren’t keen on the season being played out.
Season over for EFL on 13:38 - May 19 with 1819 viewsStanisgod

Why are the Prem starting training and not EFL.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Season over for EFL on 14:06 - May 19 with 1785 viewsNorthernr

Season over for EFL on 13:38 - May 19 by Stanisgod

Why are the Prem starting training and not EFL.

Thought I read EFL were coming back training end of the week?
QPR, and almost certainly all the other clubs, have been training the players in small groups at the training ground for a while anyway.
Season over for EFL on 14:18 - May 19 with 1766 viewsterryb

Season over for EFL on 14:06 - May 19 by Northernr

Thought I read EFL were coming back training end of the week?
QPR, and almost certainly all the other clubs, have been training the players in small groups at the training ground for a while anyway.

I'm fairly sure they said on Sky last night that all players will be tested Thursday & Fridfay with a return to training next Mionday.

The test results will be known in 24 hours. Does that mean our players are as important as Boris was?
Season over for EFL on 17:15 - May 19 with 1710 viewsEastR

So far,so good:

Three Premier League football clubs hit by positive Covid-19 tests ahead of top-flight return

Half a dozen people from three Premier League football clubs have tested positive for Covid-19 in two days.
With hopes of top-flight football resuming next month, the Premier League announced six players or staff returned positive results in its first two days of testing.

The league carried out 748 tests on Sunday and Monday, as part of a process designed to allow matches to restart next month. It means that less than 1% of those tested returned positive results.

Squads were allowed to return to training today, carried out according to physical distancing. It is understood the league is awaiting results from at least one more club.

The league said in a statement: “The Premier League can today confirm that, on Sunday 17 May and Monday 18 May, 748 players and club staff were tested for Covid-19. Of these, six have tested positive from three clubs. Players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for a period of seven days.

The Premier League is providing this aggregated information for the purposes of competition integrity and oversight. No specific details as to clubs or individuals will be provided by the Premier League due to legal and operational requirements.”

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Season over for EFL on 18:02 - May 19 with 1680 viewsdaveB

6 positive test out of over 700 is not too bad, as long as they follow the protocols it should be OK. The problem for players won't be what clubs do with training it will be team mates ignoring the rules and going out to parties
Season over for EFL on 18:36 - May 19 with 1660 viewsRangersDave

when do contracts end?

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Season over for EFL on 18:40 - May 19 with 1648 viewsTGRRRSSS

Normally end of June seems to be the standard.
Season over for EFL on 19:26 - May 19 with 1614 viewsterryb

Season over for EFL on 18:40 - May 19 by TGRRRSSS

Iy is the end of June, but an extra month/two months under a short term contract should be easy for the authorities to agree to.
Season over for EFL on 19:32 - May 19 with 1601 viewsdaveB

Season over for EFL on 18:40 - May 19 by TGRRRSSS

I can't remember what show I saw this on but an agent was saying that contracts ending are basically a months notice so they still get paid for a month and can train at the club using gym facilities etc whilst they find a new club so extending them by a month or 2 shouldn't be a massive issue
Season over for EFL on 19:40 - May 19 with 1582 viewsWatford_Ranger

Season over for EFL on 19:32 - May 19 by daveB

I can't remember what show I saw this on but an agent was saying that contracts ending are basically a months notice so they still get paid for a month and can train at the club using gym facilities etc whilst they find a new club so extending them by a month or 2 shouldn't be a massive issue

As long as both parties want that.
Season over for EFL on 10:30 - May 20 with 1470 viewsEastR

Season over for EFL on 18:02 - May 19 by daveB

6 positive test out of over 700 is not too bad, as long as they follow the protocols it should be OK. The problem for players won't be what clubs do with training it will be team mates ignoring the rules and going out to parties

On the face of it, no it seems to be not too bad — an infection rate of 0.8%

Last week the ONS indicated that it’s likely that in the general population 1 in 400 people had coronavirus outside hospitals and care homes, a rate of 0.25%.

Against that stat this result looks less promising

And with some footballers now openly questioning the whole premise of returning (Troy Deeney — explain to me why I can’t have a haircut, but I’m expected to compete in a penalty box at a corner with 18 other people), it’ll be a bumpy ride.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Season over for EFL on 11:16 - May 21 with 1349 viewsDieByYourSide

Hoos looking to crack on with things from the sound of it. I'm guessing we'll follow the Premier League's lead and try to get the games played...

Poll: And it's hi ho

Season over for EFL on 11:18 - May 21 with 1339 views2Thomas2Bowles

Season over for EFL on 11:16 - May 21 by DieByYourSide

Hoos looking to crack on with things from the sound of it. I'm guessing we'll follow the Premier League's lead and try to get the games played...

Well we will be in the play-off for sure.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Season over for EFL on 12:01 - May 21 with 1278 viewsdaveB

Season over for EFL on 10:30 - May 20 by EastR

On the face of it, no it seems to be not too bad — an infection rate of 0.8%

Last week the ONS indicated that it’s likely that in the general population 1 in 400 people had coronavirus outside hospitals and care homes, a rate of 0.25%.

Against that stat this result looks less promising

And with some footballers now openly questioning the whole premise of returning (Troy Deeney — explain to me why I can’t have a haircut, but I’m expected to compete in a penalty box at a corner with 18 other people), it’ll be a bumpy ride.

Deeney's concerns are understandable as his kid has breathing difficulties so he should be allowed to give it a miss, there will be others like him as well, no one should be forced to play.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024