Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Season over for EFL 18:26 - Apr 30 with 44703 viewsGloucs_R

According to talksport. League 1 and 2

https://talksport.com/football/efl/700954/efl-below-championship-unlikely-resume
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 18:27]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Season over for EFL on 15:53 - May 21 with 1959 viewsWatford_Ranger

Season over for EFL on 15:44 - May 21 by BrianMcCarthy

I think that the 'limited crowds' idea is the headscratchiest.

It was mooted/floated over here by a GAA official. 'Only' 20,000 in Croke Park sounds great, but what about the queues for toliets, for food, turnstiles on the way in, stairs on the way out...

Thankfully, it got pooh-poohed, Blackadder.

Even if you navigate that surely it’s impossible to evacuate the ground safely should you need to. Can’t see it being allowed.
Season over for EFL on 15:55 - May 21 with 1951 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Season over for EFL on 15:52 - May 21 by EastR

What's the outlook for this year's provincial championships and All Ireland?

Nothing until October at least, EastR, according to the latest statement.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Season over for EFL on 15:56 - May 21 with 1942 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Season over for EFL on 15:53 - May 21 by Watford_Ranger

Even if you navigate that surely it’s impossible to evacuate the ground safely should you need to. Can’t see it being allowed.

Also true. Hadn't occurred to me. It would be like the 'Don't Panic' scene in Airplane.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Season over for EFL on 16:03 - May 21 with 1914 viewsdaveB

Season over for EFL on 15:44 - May 21 by BrianMcCarthy

I think that the 'limited crowds' idea is the headscratchiest.

It was mooted/floated over here by a GAA official. 'Only' 20,000 in Croke Park sounds great, but what about the queues for toliets, for food, turnstiles on the way in, stairs on the way out...

Thankfully, it got pooh-poohed, Blackadder.

October is a long way off though so might be achievable
Season over for EFL on 16:05 - May 21 with 1907 viewsEastR

Season over for EFL on 15:55 - May 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Nothing until October at least, EastR, according to the latest statement.

Cheers Brian, that a big gap in the summer schedule, I was hoping to see those jackeens taken down this year

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Season over for EFL on 16:06 - May 21 with 1906 viewsslmrstid

Season over for EFL on 15:46 - May 21 by terryb

But Stevenage could be relegated & the NL play off winners promoted.

That would be in keeping with the EFL's promotion, relegation, play off philosophy.

Yes that is true, depends on what the two leagues have agreed between them I'd guess.
Season over for EFL on 17:44 - May 21 with 1776 viewsThe_Beast1976

Season over for EFL on 14:37 - May 21 by CorbyQPR

Not sure I fully get the Deeny comment - is he completely shielding i.e. not going shopping, out at all? Same for others in his household? If not then the football pitch will be the safest place in the county to be with all the testing they are doing. Won't it?

If one was being cynical, perhaps one could suggest that there is more to it than is being said......Watford close to the relegation zone......unfair disadvantage if they are forced to play when some of their players are refusing to partake.....

Not that I am saying that is the case of course
[Post edited 21 May 2020 17:44]
Season over for EFL on 20:10 - May 21 with 1645 viewsterryb

Season over for EFL on 16:06 - May 21 by slmrstid

Yes that is true, depends on what the two leagues have agreed between them I'd guess.

It would seem that the EFL have not stated Stevenage won't be relegated judging what I've seen on Sky Sports News!

Thinking back, that was what the D2 clubs agreed subject to EFL & FA agreement.
Login to get fewer ads

Season over for EFL on 22:04 - May 21 with 1546 viewsdodge_stoke_r

At the risk of asking a question with an obvious answer, cjan someone explain how points per game is worked out
Season over for EFL on 22:13 - May 21 with 1531 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Season over for EFL on 22:04 - May 21 by dodge_stoke_r

At the risk of asking a question with an obvious answer, cjan someone explain how points per game is worked out

Total points divided number of games.

If everyone has played the same amount of games then it’s redundant.
Season over for EFL on 22:16 - May 21 with 1517 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Season over for EFL on 22:13 - May 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

That's what I was thinking. With just the odd exception, all the teams in all three divisions have played the same. So the table stays the same!
Season over for EFL on 22:18 - May 21 with 1509 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Season over for EFL on 22:16 - May 21 by dodge_stoke_r

That's what I was thinking. With just the odd exception, all the teams in all three divisions have played the same. So the table stays the same!

Yep. Wouldn’t make a difference in the Championship because everyone has played 37 I think.

Karl posted a league table somewhere from the English non league where one team had played 4 games and the other 12 or something and the team that played 4 won the league 😆
[Post edited 21 May 2020 22:20]
Season over for EFL on 22:32 - May 21 with 1485 viewsOldPedro

Season over for EFL on 14:48 - May 21 by Northernr

One would think those definitely voting to pack in now and go PPG are
Leeds, West Brom, Hull, Wigan, Boro, Huddersfield, Stoke, Birmingham, Sheff Wed and Reading, Preston.

Fulham, Brentford and Forest maybe as well - are they happy with their play off spot or do they think they can overhaul the gap at the top (six points to Fulham, ten to the other two?) Let's say Fulham want to continue and Brentford and Forest don't that's 13 voting to stop now and go PPG which is all they need.

Are Sheff Weds and Derby still waiting for outcomes of FFP charges and possible points deductions? Would they need to play to try to get more points to offset any deductions?

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Season over for EFL on 22:42 - May 21 with 1468 viewsQPR_John

Season over for EFL on 22:13 - May 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

Said this all along. Beginning to think I was missing something with the way it was accepted without question by the media
[Post edited 21 May 2020 22:43]
Season over for EFL on 22:55 - May 21 with 1445 viewsstowmarketrange

Season over for EFL on 22:16 - May 21 by dodge_stoke_r

I think it really only affects league one because of the situation with Bury dropping out.Some teams won’t have played as many as others.I think Ipswich had played 2 more than Wycombe until pretty close to the end of play in March.
I just looked at the table and they’ve played 2 games more than 7 other teams.
[Post edited 21 May 2020 22:58]
Season over for EFL on 07:26 - May 22 with 1342 viewsdistortR

Season over for EFL on 22:32 - May 21 by OldPedro

Are Sheff Weds and Derby still waiting for outcomes of FFP charges and possible points deductions? Would they need to play to try to get more points to offset any deductions?

i think we all know the outcome of the investigation into derby.
Season over for EFL on 07:49 - May 22 with 1296 viewsDannyPaddox

Troy Deeney: I can't get a haircut, so why is it safe to play football?
Season over for EFL on 08:11 - May 22 with 1262 viewsNorthernr

Season over for EFL on 22:32 - May 21 by OldPedro

Barnsley threatening legal action over that if punishments aren't handed down this season. Feeling in my old neck of the woods prior to all this is Wednesday are in serious trouble with it.
Season over for EFL on 08:30 - May 22 with 1235 viewsRoller

Reading must be in line for their comeuppance too.
Season over for EFL on 08:37 - May 22 with 1215 viewsswitchingcode

Season over for EFL on 14:48 - May 21 by Northernr

One would think those definitely voting to pack in now and go PPG are
Leeds, West Brom, Hull, Wigan, Boro, Huddersfield, Stoke, Birmingham, Sheff Wed and Reading, Preston.

Fulham, Brentford and Forest maybe as well - are they happy with their play off spot or do they think they can overhaul the gap at the top (six points to Fulham, ten to the other two?) Let's say Fulham want to continue and Brentford and Forest don't that's 13 voting to stop now and go PPG which is all they need.

Have to take into account TV money that will have to be paid back to Sky via EFL that will represent a financial hit for most clubs in the championship.l seem to remember there are clubs like Wednesday Derby Forrest and Brum who are being investigated for breaches of FFP so potentially have points deducted.So voting won’t be that straight forward as where clubs sit now in the league.My preferred solution will be to play the remaining 9 games although it will be without crowds.
Season over for EFL on 08:39 - May 22 with 1212 viewsHantsR

Mrs Hants just told me that MW was on Radio 4 just now, talking about this sort of thing, she thinks ...

Edit - just istened to it myself. Worth a listen and MW comes over very well I think
[Post edited 22 May 2020 9:19]
Season over for EFL on 09:25 - May 22 with 1137 viewsQPR_Jim

Season over for EFL on 08:11 - May 22 by Northernr

Barnsley threatening legal action over that if punishments aren't handed down this season. Feeling in my old neck of the woods prior to all this is Wednesday are in serious trouble with it.

That's fair enough, think they may need to suspend FFP for this season or have an increased allowance for this year as part of the 3 year rolling losses. It's probably quite difficult to implement and unlikely to be anything in the rules to cover situations like this. But the ongoing cases are about previous seasons, so should still be applied but even that's not straightforward. We've played 80% of the season so if there was a 10 point deduction would it be fair to only apply 8 points?
Season over for EFL on 09:30 - May 22 with 1128 viewsCorbyQPR

Season over for EFL on 17:44 - May 21 by The_Beast1976

If one was being cynical, perhaps one could suggest that there is more to it than is being said......Watford close to the relegation zone......unfair disadvantage if they are forced to play when some of their players are refusing to partake.....

Not that I am saying that is the case of course
[Post edited 21 May 2020 17:44]

Wouldn't it be 'politically incorrect' to suggest such a thing!
Season over for EFL on 09:52 - May 22 with 1089 viewsAddinall

Season over for EFL on 08:39 - May 22 by HantsR

Mrs Hants just told me that MW was on Radio 4 just now, talking about this sort of thing, she thinks ...

Edit - just istened to it myself. Worth a listen and MW comes over very well I think
[Post edited 22 May 2020 9:19]

Indeed he does.
Season over for EFL on 10:02 - May 22 with 1046 viewsRoller

Season over for EFL on 09:25 - May 22 by QPR_Jim

That's fair enough, think they may need to suspend FFP for this season or have an increased allowance for this year as part of the 3 year rolling losses. It's probably quite difficult to implement and unlikely to be anything in the rules to cover situations like this. But the ongoing cases are about previous seasons, so should still be applied but even that's not straightforward. We've played 80% of the season so if there was a 10 point deduction would it be fair to only apply 8 points?

Changing the permissible loss for this season and for next season is the obvious route for FFP. I'm sure a calculation based on average home match revenue * number of missed or behind closed doors matches would be the starting point. It shouldn't be hard to implement if there is the will to do so.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024