Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Telephone scammers 12:31 - Dec 10 with 3491 viewsLongsufferingR

Anyone else noticed a huge increase in frequency from these scum recently? I seem to be getting these almost daily now, particularly the BT Openreach "you are getting slower speeds than you should" and the Amazon "your Prime is about to auto renew, press 1 to cancel" ones.
Telephone scammers on 13:12 - Dec 10 with 3011 viewsJuzzie

Got them on an almost daily basis throughout the summer. Quietened down a bit now but still get them time to time.

Most unknown numbers I never answer but as I've been going through a long and protracted house move (plus a car repair claim when I got shunted up the 'arris) I had to take calls in case it was related to those.

They always ring off abruptly the moment I challenge them. Firstly, I never confirm my name. When they ask my name I always say "who's calling please, I will not confirm who I am until I know who you are and why you are calling".
That get's rid of about 99% of them. You get the odd one that says "This is BT OpenReach" (or similar) and when I say I don't have an account with that company they hang up.

Sometimes I don't even get that far, just put the phone down straight away.

Get a few texts too such as "Your apple-pay account has been linked to 'Iphone 8 Tommy Smith'. Click on this link if it's not correct"

The link always looks plausible but clearly a scam. Text deleted, number blocked.

Scum, the lot of them.
Telephone scammers on 13:19 - Dec 10 with 2995 viewsBoston

iPhone user. Rarely receive anything untoward. Phone id’s most if not all spam calls, never get duff text’s.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Telephone scammers on 13:23 - Dec 10 with 2969 viewstoboboly

I found I was getting a lot all of a sudden after writing down details in pubs etc for track and trace. As soon as it moved to an app it seems to have quietened down again.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Telephone scammers on 13:31 - Dec 10 with 2954 viewsSouthCoastR

Had a call purportedly from Amazon saying an iPhone X had just been purchased on my account, press 1 to confirm etc

Immediately hung up and confirmed with Amazon that it was a scam.

Out of interest what is the scam? If I press 1 does it start charging against my bill?
Telephone scammers on 13:42 - Dec 10 with 2933 viewsLongsufferingR

Telephone scammers on 13:31 - Dec 10 by SouthCoastR

Had a call purportedly from Amazon saying an iPhone X had just been purchased on my account, press 1 to confirm etc

Out of interest what is the scam? If I press 1 does it start charging against my bill?

Similar to the Amazon one I had. I hung up but presumably if you press 1 you get through to someone who will try to get account/payment details from you.
Telephone scammers on 14:11 - Dec 10 with 2886 viewsLowerloftLad

yes my mum gets them all the time we love it as i have become quite inventive on ways to waste and annoy there time while having a laugh at there expense.
I see it as the longer i keep them on the phone there not being able to call the next poor victim

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Telephone scammers on 14:27 - Dec 10 with 2847 viewsTacticalR

At least on an Android phone you have the option of blocking these numbers once you know they're scammers.

Air hostess clique

Telephone scammers on 14:32 - Dec 10 with 2832 viewsAddinall

Telephone scammers on 14:27 - Dec 10 by TacticalR

At least on an Android phone you have the option of blocking these numbers once you know they're scammers.

They change numbers frequently.
Login to get fewer ads

Telephone scammers on 14:32 - Dec 10 with 2831 viewsMatch82

Telephone scammers on 14:27 - Dec 10 by TacticalR

Might be different in the UK but over here there has been a surge of these calls mimicking other numbers, usually with a similar area code to yours. So its impossible to block the number because it's generated randomly. I had one person call me up and leave me an aggressive voicemail because scammers had spoofed my number in a call to them!
Telephone scammers on 15:24 - Dec 10 with 2754 viewsDaBurgh

Not in the UK anymore, but when there if I didn't recognize a calling number I wouldn't answer the call. My message explained that I am screening my calls and if you leave your name and number and reason for calling Me I will get back to you. It worked well.
Telephone scammers on 15:26 - Dec 10 with 2749 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Dont know the number don't answer.

I find they stop calling you after a while.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Telephone scammers on 15:37 - Dec 10 with 2716 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Can't recommend this approach enough.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Telephone scammers on 15:41 - Dec 10 with 2711 viewsMick_S

Telephone scammers on 15:37 - Dec 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Can't recommend this approach enough.

I'm using that one - can't wait!

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Telephone scammers on 16:20 - Dec 10 with 2641 viewsterryb

I've wondered why BT Openreach would be phoning about broadband when they are the repairs company of BT.

It was very surprising when the caller couldn't give me an answer when i asked him!

My wife answered 4 calls in 30 minutes recently - Openreach, BT, Openreach, BT. I think that is our record!
Telephone scammers on 16:28 - Dec 10 with 2630 viewsbosh67

I've used John Cleese's genius cold caller advice on 2 calls now.

"I'm sorry, I'd love to talk with you about this but unfortunately I don't have a phone!"

They either hang up or apologise and say they'll ring another time... but they never do.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Telephone scammers on 18:42 - Dec 10 with 2535 viewsstowmarketrange

I kept getting these junk emails a lot in the summer.In the end they got so annoying that I ended up buying the bloody season ticket.
Telephone scammers on 19:32 - Dec 10 with 2460 viewscollegeranger

I use this one for ambulance chasers -
Q. Our records show that you have been in an accident recently?
A. Yes that's right
Q. Were you injured?
A. Yes
Q. What injuries did you incur?
A. I died !
phone line goes dead!!
Telephone scammers on 19:58 - Dec 10 with 2415 viewsBerkoRanger

Anyone remember Python's "The Knights who say Neee". If I get one of these calls, I say a very loud Neee over the phone, holding the N for 3 seconds There is silence, then they put the phone down.....and they don't phone again!
My wife thinks its hilarious.
Telephone scammers on 20:41 - Dec 10 with 2367 viewscharmr

i phone here as well and use to get them regularly, slowed down significantly, however got my first text this week.

Have wasted there time on many occasions when just hanging out watching soccer on the tv. Asking then to repeat there long scripted introduction saying the phone Signal was breaking up Is my starter for 10. Spent 40mins with one guy trying to sell me an indoor alarm with motion detectors. Told him I kept doves and had a pair of Afghan hounds. Guy told me it would still work fine in the space between the dogs and the birds. SOLD.

Also some of the callers are very religious so I tell them they are doing the work of the devil. They get very prickly and come back with God is with me, God loves me etc. My 90 yr old dad though still knows it’s a scam but frets afterwards about money being taken out of his account.

This is classic stuff.

[Post edited 10 Dec 2020 20:58]
Telephone scammers on 09:42 - Dec 11 with 2110 viewsqpr1976

Telephone scammers on 19:32 - Dec 10 by collegeranger

I use this one for ambulance chasers -
Q. Our records show that you have been in an accident recently?
A. Yes that's right
Q. Were you injured?
A. Yes
Q. What injuries did you incur?
A. I died !
phone line goes dead!!

Same opening line regards a recent accident.....

Me: Which one ?
They : Have you had more than 1 accident then ? (Sound of $ signs chinking in their eyes)
Me : Oh yes, lots.
They : Were you to blame for any of them ?
Me : All of them, I’m a Very bad driver.....!

Sound of phone hanging up.
Telephone scammers on 15:39 - Dec 11 with 2017 viewsTacticalR

I got a call from one of these numbers today (which I didn't answer), but somehow it has been marked as spam by Android (perhaps through other people marking it as blocked).

Air hostess clique

Telephone scammers on 15:49 - Dec 11 with 2003 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Telephone scammers on 13:31 - Dec 10 by SouthCoastR

Either as the following poster said or it goes through to a premium rate number they have set up. You get charged a fortune and they get most of that from the number they have set up. I find this one particularly odious as they are often purporting to be from your credit card company saying an amount has been spent overseas and if it wasn't you press 1 etc.
Absolute scum.
Telephone scammers on 20:26 - Dec 11 with 1888 viewsnumptydumpty

My Nan used to get them and she was a savvy old bird .. Never lost her marbles

But she would get these calls and they would say she was having problems with Windows on her Computer.

She would reply "firstly my windows are what I look out of from my flat and two I am 96 years old and I have never used a computer in my life"

She used laugh about it but these scummers prey on the vulnerable

I have friend who has been constantly scammed - I believe it may well be because she is member of a facebook mental health support group - and the scammers / scummers will no doubt be looking out for such groups to hood wink people who may be too trusting or naive.

Dreadful way to earn your money - people without any kind of morals - can't relate as to why anyone would feel happy doing these kind of practices - something very very wrong.

But the police have literally zero power to do anything about these things - ie they often phone from numbers that are likely mobile or landline numbers and then almost immediately the number is deleted so not traceable - its something that needs massive regulations and penalties as its increasing year on year !!!

Very very bad (putting it very politely)

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Telephone scammers on 20:43 - Dec 11 with 1860 viewsQPRSteve

Had an automated call on my mobile today - in Chinese!
Telephone scammers on 20:50 - Dec 11 with 1853 viewsted_hendrix

I haven't answered my phone for nearly 6 Years.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024