Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket 2021 09:04 - Jun 2 with 26115 viewstoboboly

Starts today with England v NZ at Lords.

Finishes with us raising the urn in Oz. Gorgeous day for it, anyone get tix? After having loads of games sorted last year I thought it prudent not to bother this season.

Will be listening to TMS, just hope they have anyone in place of Daniel Norcross whom aggravates me something chronic.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2021 9:09]

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Cricket 2021 on 20:03 - Jun 4 with 1861 viewsBlackCrowe

Yep looking good Stow.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Cricket 2021 on 20:26 - Jun 4 with 1833 viewsMrSheen

Cricket 2021 on 20:03 - Jun 4 by BlackCrowe

Yep looking good Stow.

Are the bars open, and do they serve at your seat, Japanese baseball style?
Cricket 2021 on 20:43 - Jun 4 with 1814 viewsBlackCrowe

Former yes, latter doubtful. Much worse, is that i think you're resticted to staying in your 'zone' of the ground (FFS, this madness must stop) which means no debauchery in Coronation Gardens at lunch.

Cricket 2021 on 21:49 - Jun 4 with 1779 viewsthame_hoops

Cricket 2021 on 13:07 - Jun 2 by BlackCrowe

Bought a couple of day 5/Sunday tickets in the new gloriously sundrenched Compton Lower for £20. the way the wicket's playing, i've got a chance of seeing some cricket.

I had two tickets for day one and two, I brought them as a Middlesex member in the pre-sale when government said they would allow 25%. . My understanding is everybody was refunded even with the 25% capacity. I just assumed they were only letting in MCC members. Didn’t realise they were still selling tickets?This is annoying. They didn’t do a ballot/lottery, they just refunded every single person who had bought tickets.
Cricket 2021 on 07:46 - Jun 5 with 1697 viewsBlackCrowe

Cricket 2021 on 21:49 - Jun 4 by thame_hoops

I had two tickets for day one and two, I brought them as a Middlesex member in the pre-sale when government said they would allow 25%. . My understanding is everybody was refunded even with the 25% capacity. I just assumed they were only letting in MCC members. Didn’t realise they were still selling tickets?This is annoying. They didn’t do a ballot/lottery, they just refunded every single person who had bought tickets.

Same, i had my original tickets refunded, but then got a link last week saying they had some seats available, first come first served.

Cricket 2021 on 12:02 - Jun 6 with 1600 viewsR_from_afar

De Grandhomme channeling Ian Botham with a magnificent mullet. As a man with a mullet, I hope he will make time to go mad with a mallet in Milletts before he flies back to NZ.

He also makes it into my all time top three of cricketers with exotic names, one place ahead of Dave Mohammed but trailing Vasbert Drakes.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Cricket 2021 on 12:53 - Jun 6 with 1561 viewsMrSheen

Cricket 2021 on 12:02 - Jun 6 by R_from_afar

De Grandhomme channeling Ian Botham with a magnificent mullet. As a man with a mullet, I hope he will make time to go mad with a mallet in Milletts before he flies back to NZ.

He also makes it into my all time top three of cricketers with exotic names, one place ahead of Dave Mohammed but trailing Vasbert Drakes.

On the subject of great sporting names, I see that the World No.1 Dutch women’s hockey team has a striker called Caia van Maasakker. Nominative determinism strikes again.
Cricket 2021 on 12:57 - Jun 6 with 1559 viewsaston_hoop

Cricket 2021 on 12:53 - Jun 6 by MrSheen

On the subject of great sporting names, I see that the World No.1 Dutch women’s hockey team has a striker called Caia van Maasakker. Nominative determinism strikes again.

For that I am a fan of top 100 tennis player Tennys Sandgren.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket 2021 on 13:27 - Jun 6 with 1535 viewsMrSheen

273 to win in two sessions. Surely not?
Cricket 2021 on 13:34 - Jun 6 with 1523 viewsstowmarketrange

Cricket 2021 on 13:27 - Jun 6 by MrSheen

273 to win in two sessions. Surely not?

I can’t see us winning to be honest.I don’t think we have enough players who can score quickly enough.I still the draw is favourite,especially with the weather forecast this afternoon.
Cricket 2021 on 17:18 - Jun 6 with 1474 viewsLimehouseR

Feel sorry for those who are at Lords today. Could have been an entertaining final 2 sessions but instead England have ground out a pointless draw. New Zealand offered a match of it and we've just not made the effort. In my opinion anyway...
Cricket 2021 on 17:22 - Jun 6 with 1465 viewsstowmarketrange

Cricket 2021 on 17:18 - Jun 6 by LimehouseR

Feel sorry for those who are at Lords today. Could have been an entertaining final 2 sessions but instead England have ground out a pointless draw. New Zealand offered a match of it and we've just not made the effort. In my opinion anyway...

New Zealand did their bit,but with a very inexperienced batting line up,I can’t really blame england for playing for the draw,but it’s a shame for the fans who were lucky enough to get tickets.
Cricket 2021 on 23:31 - Jun 6 with 1318 viewsthame_hoops

How naff does ‘Cinch’ look as a sponsor
Cricket 2021 on 23:45 - Jun 6 with 1305 viewsstowmarketrange

In other cricket news today,the only game played in the Rachel Heyhoe-flint trophy Lightning beat Thunder by 134 runs.
Cricket 2021 on 08:44 - Jun 7 with 1223 viewstoboboly

Cricket 2021 on 17:22 - Jun 6 by stowmarketrange

New Zealand did their bit,but with a very inexperienced batting line up,I can’t really blame england for playing for the draw,but it’s a shame for the fans who were lucky enough to get tickets.

Agree, I thought the criticism from TMS/Highlights was all a bit over the top. Two sessions to get 273 is difficult, then you add in the pitch that most had struggled on and it makes it very difficult.

Also you have a lot of inexperienced batsman, some already playing for their careers. If Sibley wafted at a wide one and was out for 5 he would have been massacred by the pundits and press. I think it was the right call, get some more experience out in the middle and treat it like a net session and get some more overs into NZ legs with a quick turnaround to the next game and the long summer ahead.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Cricket 2021 on 08:55 - Jun 7 with 1199 viewsTheChef

Cricket 2021 on 08:44 - Jun 7 by toboboly

Agree, I thought the criticism from TMS/Highlights was all a bit over the top. Two sessions to get 273 is difficult, then you add in the pitch that most had struggled on and it makes it very difficult.

Also you have a lot of inexperienced batsman, some already playing for their careers. If Sibley wafted at a wide one and was out for 5 he would have been massacred by the pundits and press. I think it was the right call, get some more experience out in the middle and treat it like a net session and get some more overs into NZ legs with a quick turnaround to the next game and the long summer ahead.

Agreed - given our general collapso nature at the moment, it's better that our batsmen get time in the middle rather than chase an unlikely target against a fairly decent bowling attack.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Cricket 2021 on 15:31 - Jun 7 with 1085 viewsBlackCrowe

Don't feel sorry for me Limehouse, we had a great day, sat in the sun, endless wine and pints, good picnic, watch live sport in the one of the best grounds in the world.

Yes, England could've had a crack at chasing it down, but a makeshift side without Stokes, Bairstow, Butler etc just wouldn't have had the firepower.

Bit burnt today though. And hangy.

Cricket 2021 on 15:49 - Jun 7 with 1055 viewsMrSheen

Cricket 2021 on 15:31 - Jun 7 by BlackCrowe

Don't feel sorry for me Limehouse, we had a great day, sat in the sun, endless wine and pints, good picnic, watch live sport in the one of the best grounds in the world.

Yes, England could've had a crack at chasing it down, but a makeshift side without Stokes, Bairstow, Butler etc just wouldn't have had the firepower.

Bit burnt today though. And hangy.

Funnily enough, my daughter served Jos Buttler lunch in a pub in Hammersmith yesterday. Needless to say, she had no idea who he was, but the boys there were goggle-eyed.
Cricket 2021 on 15:53 - Jun 7 with 1047 viewsdanehoop

Cricket 2021 on 08:55 - Jun 7 by TheChef

Agreed - given our general collapso nature at the moment, it's better that our batsmen get time in the middle rather than chase an unlikely target against a fairly decent bowling attack.

Totally agree with these two posts. The tail starts much earlier in the side that England had for this match and there was little recognised and experienced batting after Sibley and Pope. Certainly nothing that looked like it was going to score big or sufficiently quickly to get a win. Good experienced gained for a some relatively new players, whilst reassuring selectors that the players currently out of the squad remain key to England achieving their potential.

If Butler, Stokes, Bairstow or Woakes was playing that England would have gone for it - but if that had been the case I sincerely doubt NZ would have offered them a run chase that low.

Never knowingly understood

Cricket 2021 on 15:54 - Jun 7 with 1048 viewsrobith

If they'd gone for it and folded everyone would be coating them off.

First rule of test cricket - make sure you don't lose
Cricket 2021 on 16:08 - Jun 7 with 1035 viewsthemodfather

NZ are a good team, a draw was ok with a whole day lost thru rain.
Cricket 2021 on 17:27 - Jun 7 with 991 viewsderbyhoop

Cricket 2021 on 16:08 - Jun 7 by themodfather

It would have been v interesting with a full 5 days. NZ bowling attack is excellent with a really good balance and I think they would have won w/o the loss of a day.

Edgbaston will be finely balanced as I can't see Conway repeating that 1st innings. Pity Robinson was a silly billy years ago, as he looked the best option of the 4 seamers. England look horribly weak without Stokes.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Cricket 2021 on 17:37 - Jun 7 with 984 viewsloftus77

Cricket 2021 on 16:08 - Jun 7 by themodfather

And the Kiwis won a good toss too. Totally the correct decision by Joe Root and England IMHO.

And I'm really disappointed with this building media criticism of Dom Sibley. For years (decades?) we have been crying out for a Boycott/Barrington-like figure at the top of the order who strains every sinew to simply do his job as a real Test opener i.e occupy the crease, see off the new ball(s) and grind down the opposing attack for the benefit of the England middle and lower order. Sibley is doing his best to emulate those greats from the past and we so need this. More power to him.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2021 17:38]
Cricket 2021 on 17:41 - Jun 7 with 979 viewsRangersw12

Cricket 2021 on 15:54 - Jun 7 by robith

If they'd gone for it and folded everyone would be coating them off.

First rule of test cricket - make sure you don't lose

True but if ​they just played with a bit more Intent they could of needed 100 off the last 15 and with wickets in hand given it a real go

All a bit meek and embarrasing especially after Root was on about entertaining the crowd etc
Cricket 2021 on 18:02 - Jun 7 with 966 viewsdanehoop

Cricket 2021 on 17:41 - Jun 7 by Rangersw12

True but if ​they just played with a bit more Intent they could of needed 100 off the last 15 and with wickets in hand given it a real go

All a bit meek and embarrasing especially after Root was on about entertaining the crowd etc

Easier to entertain the crowd when you have the likes of Butler, Stokes, Bairstow (when in form),Wokes, Archer etc. available to you. The team in the first test had a a very strong bowling line up, but the batting wasn't going to be explosive with so many world class players not available.

Edgbaston will be interesting, surprised at Bess over Leach. Thought the latter might give better balance with the batting.

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024