Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road. 10:21 - Jan 22 with 36635 viewsEsox_Lucius

IF, and it's a big if. the club were forced away from H&F to build a stadium which could provide income 360+ days a years to generate the revenue to make us competitive as a team again would you be for or against it. Yes or No will suffice, there's no need for comments like "knowing QPR they'd fück it up" etc. Just Yes or No.

The grass is always greener.

Loftus Road. on 10:46 - Jan 22 with 10060 viewsRebalhoop

For it,in the Slough area would be nice 😊
Loftus Road. on 11:02 - Jan 22 with 10012 viewsstevec

Yes.

Like most of us, I grew up with QPR as my closest ground but how many of us have moved away from the area but still regulars? Quite a lot I’d guess.
Loftus Road. on 11:30 - Jan 22 with 9935 viewsstowmarketrange

No.From a transport aspect,Loftus Road is in the best possible place.It is easily reachable from every direction rather than some place out in the sticks with buses to take fans to the only railway station in a new area.It has pubs,food outlets and all the facilities that a new ground on an industrial estate somewhere else might not have.
And why should we move to attract new fans who will only stay because we might be in the premier league or the top of the championship?
We have to do more to bring back our missing fans,and find out why they don’t come any more,and do our best to help them attend more games in our cramped little ground.
I don’t have any easy answers,but maybe the club could employ someone who might have more answers than a retired truck driver?
Good to meet you yesterday mate.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 11:31]
Loftus Road. on 11:40 - Jan 22 with 9882 viewsdistortR

Loftus Road. on 11:30 - Jan 22 by stowmarketrange

No.From a transport aspect,Loftus Road is in the best possible place.It is easily reachable from every direction rather than some place out in the sticks with buses to take fans to the only railway station in a new area.It has pubs,food outlets and all the facilities that a new ground on an industrial estate somewhere else might not have.
And why should we move to attract new fans who will only stay because we might be in the premier league or the top of the championship?
We have to do more to bring back our missing fans,and find out why they don’t come any more,and do our best to help them attend more games in our cramped little ground.
I don’t have any easy answers,but maybe the club could employ someone who might have more answers than a retired truck driver?
Good to meet you yesterday mate.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 11:31]

'Just yes or no'
Loftus Road. on 11:45 - Jan 22 with 9863 viewslosethedrum

No .
Loftus Road. on 11:53 - Jan 22 with 9820 viewsTK1

No, never. I'd give up on it.

Walking from White City to The Princess Victoria on Uxbridge Road in the sun yesterday, fans thronging around the stadium, walking by the huge variety of pubs and restaurants of W12. It's Shepherd's Bush! W12. It's a real area, where people live and work and trade. It's has a huge street market. It's not a suburb. It's inner city and yes, we travel there, because it's got QPR, but it's got everything else too.
Then, at 2.25, walking a few pints in down the Uxbridge Road, by The Pocket Watch, The Adelaide, Conningham, the kebab shops, everyone else tipping out and joining the march to the ground...
It's QPR's identity. There's nothing else. Don't fool yourself that QPR in Slough, Hillingdon, Park Royal would be QPR. It'd be a Reading/Millwall hybrid.

I'm yet to go to a new ground outside of its original footprint that is better than the one it replaced for atmosphere or identity: Reading, Coventry, Millwall, West Ham...I live close to Stratford and there isn't a Hammer I know who'd rather go to Stratford than Upton Park.

Redevelopment is different: Bristol is a good example of a massive improvement, Watford. The club could definitely improve facilities for fans at LR - the fact that there's no willingness to do that beyond the director's and corporate facilities for decades says a lot of their true feelings about us.

Brentford, Spurs and Arsenal have all shown that you can move nearby and keep your identity (though I still prefer Highbury). But you have to stay true to your roots. Otherwise, who are you? Who are we? Just a team who play in hoops. The weakness for the club is its location; for its fans it should be all that it is. We are QPR FC from White City. It’s the identity of the club.

I don't know how this is even a question. There are other clubs in the suburbs with leg room and plenty of spare seats.
Loftus Road. on 11:54 - Jan 22 with 9819 viewsMelakaRanger

I’ve been going to Loftus Rd since 1967. It was of poor standard then. The new stands are now 50 years old. The stadium as it is will ensure we have no money to improve the club. It really is an ancient relic of the past.

To be honest we need either a new ground elsewhere or Loftus Rd to be demolished and a new 25,000 state of the art stadium built in its place, which would be my preference.

Trouble is a new relocated stadium could be financed to a large extent by redeveloping Loftus Road for housing. But demolishing and rebuilding a new stadium at Loftus Rd would need 100% new money and would probably be more expensive anyway. I can’t see our owners coughing up for that.
Loftus Road. on 11:57 - Jan 22 with 9802 viewsdavman

Yes.

Not miles and miles away, but somewhere where we can actually build a new stadium (if that is REALLY what the owners want).

Brentford's gaff shows what can be done in a very confined space like LR though...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road. on 12:04 - Jan 22 with 9782 viewsTK1

Loftus Road. on 11:57 - Jan 22 by davman

Yes.

Not miles and miles away, but somewhere where we can actually build a new stadium (if that is REALLY what the owners want).

Brentford's gaff shows what can be done in a very confined space like LR though...

Anywhere outside of H+F is necessarily "miles away".
Loftus Road. on 12:06 - Jan 22 with 9772 viewsNov77

As Frankie Howard would say, “nay, nay, and thrice nay”.

It’s taken the current owners twelve years just to begin work on a training ground, can’t see them ever doing anything about the ground except use it as an excuse for why we can’t compete.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Loftus Road. on 12:10 - Jan 22 with 9758 viewsdmm

No
Loftus Road. on 12:20 - Jan 22 with 9730 viewsthompsonridd

YES
Loftus Road. on 12:40 - Jan 22 with 9652 viewsstanistheman

Yes, but it has to be reasonably close to H&F borough rather than outer London.

If rebuilding on the current site was feasible and the owners willing to fund it then that would be best, but I doubt that it is.

There are those fans who are happy to stay as it is, but that is only holding this club back from making any progress. QPR is falling further and further behind clubs like Fulham, Brentford, Watford, Bournemouth and even Millwall & Luton.
Loftus Road. on 12:45 - Jan 22 with 9653 viewsCateLeBonR

Depends but most probably yes.
Loftus Road. on 12:50 - Jan 22 with 9631 viewsNov77

Loftus Road. on 12:40 - Jan 22 by stanistheman

Yes, but it has to be reasonably close to H&F borough rather than outer London.

If rebuilding on the current site was feasible and the owners willing to fund it then that would be best, but I doubt that it is.

There are those fans who are happy to stay as it is, but that is only holding this club back from making any progress. QPR is falling further and further behind clubs like Fulham, Brentford, Watford, Bournemouth and even Millwall & Luton.

Yet our capacity is still above Bournemouth’s and bremtford’s shiny new Lego stadium.

As I said, the owners are using the ground as an excuse to mask their own incompetence.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Loftus Road. on 12:57 - Jan 22 with 9606 viewsHarbour

Yes to ensure we survive as a club
Loftus Road. on 13:07 - Jan 22 with 9561 viewsHeadington

No
Loftus Road. on 13:08 - Jan 22 with 9548 viewsDWQPR

Rather than being romantic about LR which for many of us has been a second home for fifty years plus it is also about the longer term future of the club. At this time we are lucky having owners who are happy to write a big cheque each month to cover our costs. But how long would this go on for? We are unique being in a part of the country that is extremely expenses in terms of land and therefore it is scarce. It has been covered time and again that the site of LR has become totally unworkable. Even if we got the land currently occupied by Jack Tizzard school we still have the issue of numerous properties behind the school end. H&F it seems have not provided that much use for us in terms of Linford Christie Stadium and other than Wormholt Park there is nothing.

How many that say that they don’t want to move will continue to go if we end up at best a lower championship side competing to survive until the inevitable happens and we sink to League One where things will get worse. Poorer standard of players, lower attendances but still a very expensive stadium that doesn’t pay for itself. The alternative is to bite the bullet and look elsewhere. Ealing Council were certainly willing bedfellows when we were looking at Warren Farm and land in Ealing is more plentiful and also cheaper, served well by public transport in most areas. It could also mean that we attract a tranche of new supporters more than we would lose, although I think those who would say they wouldn’t go would relent. Teams have moved a few miles from their spiritual home many times. West Ham are four miles away, Bolton went seven miles out the way, Everton are building three miles from Goodison. Brighton, Derby, Southampton, Stoke have all moved a few miles away from their old stadiums but the difference is that they are one city clubs and so nobody moaned. But it is no different if we moved but stayed within the West London boundaries. So I wouldn’t be against it if it meant the club became more sustainable and competitive.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Loftus Road. on 13:08 - Jan 22 with 9548 viewscolinallcars

Not for me.
Loftus Road. on 13:19 - Jan 22 with 9504 viewsToast_R

Yes, I wager the majority of QPR fans no longer live in SB or White City so it doesn't matter. Intact moving outside may even grow the fan base.
Loftus Road. on 13:23 - Jan 22 with 9473 viewsSimonJames

Yes-ish

100% of people who drink water will die.

Loftus Road. on 13:27 - Jan 22 with 9470 viewsBAWHoops

Yes. 100%

I take my 5 year old son with me sometimes and whilst we are all romantic about the place it's not appealing whatsoever for the next generation.
It's cramped on the concourses. There are pillars blocking your view. The sound system is shit and the place itself is completely devoid of atmosphere.
The club shop is a hole, the entertainment for kids pre game is tucked away on an astroturf that doesn't belong to us. The food is absolutely awful as well
There's very little to actually get him excited for games

We are looking at this through our (weathered) eyes when we say we must never move. If we want to stay in the top 2 divisions we HAVE to move. There is Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, Brentford and soon to be Luton all close to us with a far better match day experience for the modern fan.
Even Watford have turned Vicarage Road from a dump into something regarding a modern stadium.

If we don't move we will be left behind.

My ideal scenario is to actually knock the whole thing down and build a better, smaller stadium on the same footprint
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 13:28]

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Loftus Road. on 13:43 - Jan 22 with 9442 viewsHastings_Hoops

Somewhere between Barnes and New Maldon? Lots of space around there and not a million miles from Hammersmith.

Maybe look at buying Kingsmeadow from Ch€l$€a?

Surely must be some decent opportunities around Acton and Harlesden?

Heathrow is on the Piccadilly line from Hammersmith, so not inconceivable if a sore came up very close to the tube?

…none of the above are ideal but must be reasonable considerations.
Loftus Road. on 13:49 - Jan 22 with 9413 viewsQPR_John

Yes. However living in Reading a new ground along the M4 would be little hardship for me so maybe my comments hold little wait compared to others. Whether it would or would not attracted new supporters is not the point it is the day by day income that is more relevant
Loftus Road. on 13:49 - Jan 22 with 9410 viewsTK1

Loftus Road. on 13:08 - Jan 22 by DWQPR

Rather than being romantic about LR which for many of us has been a second home for fifty years plus it is also about the longer term future of the club. At this time we are lucky having owners who are happy to write a big cheque each month to cover our costs. But how long would this go on for? We are unique being in a part of the country that is extremely expenses in terms of land and therefore it is scarce. It has been covered time and again that the site of LR has become totally unworkable. Even if we got the land currently occupied by Jack Tizzard school we still have the issue of numerous properties behind the school end. H&F it seems have not provided that much use for us in terms of Linford Christie Stadium and other than Wormholt Park there is nothing.

How many that say that they don’t want to move will continue to go if we end up at best a lower championship side competing to survive until the inevitable happens and we sink to League One where things will get worse. Poorer standard of players, lower attendances but still a very expensive stadium that doesn’t pay for itself. The alternative is to bite the bullet and look elsewhere. Ealing Council were certainly willing bedfellows when we were looking at Warren Farm and land in Ealing is more plentiful and also cheaper, served well by public transport in most areas. It could also mean that we attract a tranche of new supporters more than we would lose, although I think those who would say they wouldn’t go would relent. Teams have moved a few miles from their spiritual home many times. West Ham are four miles away, Bolton went seven miles out the way, Everton are building three miles from Goodison. Brighton, Derby, Southampton, Stoke have all moved a few miles away from their old stadiums but the difference is that they are one city clubs and so nobody moaned. But it is no different if we moved but stayed within the West London boundaries. So I wouldn’t be against it if it meant the club became more sustainable and competitive.

"More sustainable and competitive" like Bolton, Derby, Reading, Coventry with their new grounds away from their original base?
Or unsustainable and uncompetitive like Fulham, Bournemouth?

It's a massive red herring, an excuse. If Fulham can redevelop a ground set on the river, with a listed building, hemmed in by some of London's most expensive terraced housing, QPR can. Success is all about ownership and its vision, not building a new ground five miles away near a retail park. QPR has had not any leadership with vision since about 1980 when the new stands were built. None of the subsequent boards could or should be trusted with selling LR and moving the club out of the area. Certainly not this one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024