Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lineker dropped from MOTD 16:54 - Mar 10 with 38005 viewsBushman

David Attenborough show kicked sideways to iPlayer

What times we live in

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 23:16 - Mar 10 with 2970 viewsJamesB1979

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 21:49 - Mar 10 by CamberleyR

Can we just get this straight here, he did not directly compare the policy to Nazi Germany. What he said was:

"This is just an immeasurably cruel policy, directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s"

1930s Germany is primarily associated with the German Nazi party and Adolf Hitler. Hitler was Chancellor from January 1933. The Nuremberg race laws were effective from 1935. What language are we talking about if it isn’t that of the German Nazi party, Hitler, Goebbels and all the others.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 23:18 - Mar 10 with 2968 viewskensalriser

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 23:16 - Mar 10 by Damo1962

Yes. Next question?

Do you think there are any left wing broadcasters in Russia?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 23:18 - Mar 10 with 2950 viewsDamo1962

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 23:00 - Mar 10 by WatfordR

Lineker is a freelance broadcaster for the BBC, not a permanent member of staff, and is not responsible for news or political content so does not need to adhere to the same rules on impartiality.

Carry on.....

That's that cleared up. Good job you were here to show us the right way to react.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 23:23 - Mar 10 with 2935 viewsSnipper

I’m mid 50s, and I despise the social media world. It’s the worst thing to happen to humanity as a whole. I see countless videos where people are unbelievably cruel and horrible to others just to get a video on social media.

I’m so bloody glad that social media wasn’t about in the 80s & 90s when I was growing up, and into my drinking days.

Many people have committed suicide due to videos posted online.

If social media was banned tomorrow, I’d be happy.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 23:23 - Mar 10 with 2907 viewsDamo1962

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 23:16 - Mar 10 by JamesB1979

1930s Germany is primarily associated with the German Nazi party and Adolf Hitler. Hitler was Chancellor from January 1933. The Nuremberg race laws were effective from 1935. What language are we talking about if it isn’t that of the German Nazi party, Hitler, Goebbels and all the others.

The inference in Lineker's statement, is that anything the Tories do is because they are Nazis,and those who agree or vote for them....are also Nazis. It's really too easy to pick holes in the left rhetoric.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 23:58 - Mar 10 with 2767 viewsSharpy36

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 23:23 - Mar 10 by Damo1962

The inference in Lineker's statement, is that anything the Tories do is because they are Nazis,and those who agree or vote for them....are also Nazis. It's really too easy to pick holes in the left rhetoric.

Lammy agrees.

Just one example of many on the left since Brexit. Where it has become the norm to trivialize words to try to paint the other side as nothing more than Scum(Rayner). We recently had the media refer to those in attendance in Liverpool to demonstrate against asylum seekers approaching school girls for sex as Far right, when in fact there where many families in attendance.

I found myself reclassified that next morning as Far right, well done media.

Lammy by the way...

[Post edited 11 Mar 2023 0:01]

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 00:23 - Mar 11 with 2718 viewsbaz_qpr

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fq5LoSxWAAE3BY5?format=jpg&name=large

"There is no huge influx. We take far fewer refugees than other major European countries. This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s, and I’m out of order?"

Just to ad to the debate the actual social media policy (and he's not an employee so even that does not apply.) And the actual tweet, which does not use term Nazis and refers to the language used in Germany in the 30's i.e the time that led to the election of Hitler.

You might disagree with it don't like him and agree with the policies and that is your prerogative but it is neither factually incorrect nor a breach of the BBC Social Media rules
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 00:31 - Mar 11 with 2695 viewsPunteR

Literally havent read read any posts since page page 1 but i already know its full of c*nts.

You bunch of tw*ts.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 03:00 - Mar 11 with 2605 viewsTrom

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 23:58 - Mar 10 by Sharpy36

Lammy agrees.

Just one example of many on the left since Brexit. Where it has become the norm to trivialize words to try to paint the other side as nothing more than Scum(Rayner). We recently had the media refer to those in attendance in Liverpool to demonstrate against asylum seekers approaching school girls for sex as Far right, when in fact there where many families in attendance.

I found myself reclassified that next morning as Far right, well done media.

Lammy by the way...

[Post edited 11 Mar 2023 0:01]

If you oppose ULEZ expansion Khan calls you a far-right, covid denier, or a tory. That's the mayor of London talking about people with very real worries about replacing a vehicle or paying £12.50 every time they drive their car in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis.
So now apparently I'm far right according to the major. I had mistakenly thought I was just somebody trying to get by and support a family.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 03:37 - Mar 11 with 2593 viewsPlanetHonneywood

In an attempt to get back on topic by ignoring the customary descent by the usuals into abuse, I just looked on the football page of the BBC app, and the first four (4) items are all about this internal BBC disciplinary issue!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 05:06 - Mar 11 with 2558 viewsJAPRANGERS

Am I the only person in the universe who has never seen GL on MOTD? Is he any good or would he be easily replaceable?
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 06:07 - Mar 11 with 2505 viewsNorthernr

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 00:31 - Mar 11 by PunteR

Literally havent read read any posts since page page 1 but i already know its full of c*nts.

You bunch of tw*ts.

For the second time, it would be great if we could remember that we’re all QPR fans together here and not go around calling each other cnts because they hold different views to each other.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 06:26 - Mar 11 with 2481 viewsPunteR

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 06:07 - Mar 11 by Northernr

For the second time, it would be great if we could remember that we’re all QPR fans together here and not go around calling each other cnts because they hold different views to each other.

Sorry your right. I'm just being a massive cnt.
I wasn't being serious btw. Just getting it out there early before someone does.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 07:05 - Mar 11 with 2427 viewsWatfordR

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 23:18 - Mar 10 by Damo1962

That's that cleared up. Good job you were here to show us the right way to react.

Point being, that unless his contract states he may not use social media to breach BBC guidelines - which it obviously doesn't as BBC have said in their statement "that he will step back from presenting Match of the Day until we've got an agreed and clear position on his use of social media" - then the BBC don't really have grounds to ask him to "step back". Certainly not the grounds they are citing anyway.

Whatever your views on the rights or wrongs of what he said, the BBC have got themselves into an almighty mess here, and having set this precedent, it won't be easy to avoid accusations of impartiality for almost any presenter on any program if people start digging into their social media history, or if they are not 100% clued up on the veracity of any statement that any guests make, particularly those presenting political programming.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 07:24 - Mar 11 with 2387 viewspaulparker

I don’t watch MOTD or anything with Lineker presenting so I can’t comment on his broadcasting skills , as a striker he was one of the best
everyone is entitled to free speech, I don’t agree with his views but that’s his opinion
What I cannot get my head around is that Lineker is now a man of the people where as Matt le tissier is a right wing crackpot conspiracy theorist who should be banished to the pits of hell
Le tissier lost his job and hasn’t worked in broadcasting since , why is it ok for one and not the other

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 07:25 - Mar 11 with 2401 viewsQPunkR

Had to laugh when I saw Braverman (what a Sheidt superhero name btw) in an interview saying she was offended by the language in Lineker's tweet and found it offensive.

Whether you agree with his sentiments or not, whether you think he's on waaay too much money at a publicly-funded institution, surely we can agree there's no way he should be fired simply for expressing an opinion. Imagine if that applied to us and some of the utter lunacy we post on here - especially after Rangers invariably lose!

QPR - "shit but local"

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 07:31 - Mar 11 with 2391 viewsdm97

You’re all lefty liberal snow flakes if you back Linekar expressing a view that I disagree with. Unless you do agree with me, in which case you have the right to express whatever view you’d like because freedom of speech is paramount and the woke MCM don’t want you to say what you think. Except when you say something I don’t like, in which case the media should cancel you because you should be impartial. We shouldn’t be kneeling on a pitch because we shouldn’t talk about politics in football, unless it’s about Russia, Qatar or the Queen then we should. Politics and football do not mix, unless they do when my side of the fence says so.

Makes sense huh
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 07:32 - Mar 11 with 2372 viewsDWQPR

Just listening to Andrew Castle in LBC and he has stated that he was working with Lineker on Thursday and during that time his phone was going ballistic, so he asked him whether he regretted writing what he tweeted and he admitted he went too far. Apart from his work with the BBC by all accounts Lineker has a very successful film company and also a successful podcast company, which no doubt he has developed from the training he has received from a PSB, funded by all of us. And for the record he is directly contracted and paid by the BBC and not through a production company.

And with regards to the immigration issues let’s not forget that the majority of the illegal immigrants that came across last year were from a democratic European country, which is outside of the EU. Albania. Those people are not looking to be sent to Rwanda but instead flown back to Albania where once they arrive they will remain free and not persecuted. They are economic migrants and not political. Their lives are not in danger if they stayed in their own country. Now compare this against a friend of mine who came over from the Caribbean to study at university for three years and is now in her second year of an extended visa to work after which time she can apply for indefinite leave to remain. She has developed her career but she is also married. Her husband remains in the Caribbean. He cannot obtain a visa as a dependent which would allow him to come across and work. He is a god fearing individual, no criminal record, because of his religion he does not drink or take drugs. He has in the last couple of years trained to become an electrician in his own country. But he cannot get a visa. To be reunited with his wife. This is where the UK’s immigration policy is wrong.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 07:59 - Mar 11 with 2306 viewskernowhoop

Silliness all round. A daft remark by Lineker and an equally silly response from BBC and government.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 08:09 - Mar 11 with 2285 viewsdistortR

Gary Lineker didn't cross any boundaries with what he said imho, although I don't agree with him. Suella Braverman was probably not best advised to use the word invasion. But....if 200 racists came to march in your town today, you might say the town was 'invaded'. If 50 000 people sail to your shores on small boats.....
The word 'nazi' is so over-used at the moment, it should probably be consigned to the same place as another 'n' word (And I understand that Lineker didn't call anyone a nazi). If you protest against a 15 minute city, you're a nazi. If you protest against drag queens reading to children, you're a nazi. If you counter-protest against protestors protesting about drag queens, you're a nazi. Essentially, if you disagree with someone's opinions, you, or they, are a nazi. There's so much hyperbole, no-one's listening to the other side or trying to reach accord, harmony.
Harmony.
Sigh.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 08:16 - Mar 11 with 2267 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 07:05 - Mar 11 by WatfordR

Point being, that unless his contract states he may not use social media to breach BBC guidelines - which it obviously doesn't as BBC have said in their statement "that he will step back from presenting Match of the Day until we've got an agreed and clear position on his use of social media" - then the BBC don't really have grounds to ask him to "step back". Certainly not the grounds they are citing anyway.

Whatever your views on the rights or wrongs of what he said, the BBC have got themselves into an almighty mess here, and having set this precedent, it won't be easy to avoid accusations of impartiality for almost any presenter on any program if people start digging into their social media history, or if they are not 100% clued up on the veracity of any statement that any guests make, particularly those presenting political programming.

While it might not be an express term of his written contract, which would be a massive, and I have to say unlikely error, on the Beeb’s part, then I’d be even more surprised if the wording of his contract did not refer to the binding nature of associated policy and procedural documents such as: disciplinary rules and procedures and policy on comment/neutrality. Additionally, it could be argued that there’s an implied contractual term to remain neutral given who the employer is.

More over, Lineker has been spoken to before about his tweets, so he can’t be surprised that this tweet - however relevant it may or may not be - has caused the Beeb an ‘issue’.

Not saying everyone on Twitter is a cant, not even saying Lineker is. But everyone who is a cant is invariably on ever social media forum possible...I agree with the poster above who berated social media, for it’s ruining way more than it’s benefiting!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 08:28 - Mar 11 with 2236 viewsdmm

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 08:44 - Mar 11 with 2176 viewsdistortR

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 08:28 - Mar 11 by dmm

Absolutely. But I'm thinking Matt le Tissier/Gary Lineker here, how many would say the former went too far while the latter is right. Personally, if you invoke Anne Frank to make a point, I find that distasteful. But if freedom of speech is absolute........of course, you could argue that losing your job, especially when you have earnt what those two must have in their careers, is not being silenced.
Maybe it's not that they are saying these things, but that we are actually listening to them, that's the problem! The BBC news website has run 'ex-footballer says something and some other people didn't like it' as their main story - really? That's the most important thing going on right now?

Edit - and here I am perpetuating this shit! I'm off this thread now!!
[Post edited 11 Mar 2023 8:46]
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 08:47 - Mar 11 with 2132 viewsSakura

The positive side of all this is that it's a sign that Wokism has peaked and is dying. If we really are going to have free speech then I'm delighted

But the said part is it's just emblematic of the corporate drones like most posters on this forum being herded away from Wokism to Statism

Now the Establishment firmly has its claws back in they want less Chaos it brings the move away from Wokism is picking up pace. Hilariously Lineker is being framed as pro-free speech

https://mobile.twitter.com/balajis/status/1633032409003474945
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 09:01 - Mar 11 with 2103 viewsSuperhoop83

Gary Lineker called out the Government for their deliberately divisive language and the story has only blown up thanks to the Tories' confected outrage and right wing rags like the Mail. Well, now it has now blown up in their faces and rightly so.

I don't recall the BBC talking to Lineker, let alone suspending him, about his "Bin Corbyn" Tweet in 2017.

Suffering since 1978.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024