Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it worth taking the drop 09:48 - Apr 8 with 8507 viewsstevec

It’s a gamble but does anyone think another year at this level is going to see any improvement? I can’t

If we did stay up, last years £24m loss added to this years will almost certainly see a points deduction at some point in 23/24.

As the regulations are different in L1 it should be easier to turn the boat around, without said points deduction, using a mixture of the handful of players who are worth keeping a level down and strengthening the rest of the side with new players conducive to that league and it’s finances.

I can’t see anyone being much interested in our outfield players, most of them have one more year left on their contracts, so they might feel compelled to get back to the Championship with this club, bearing in mind if they fail in L1 most of their careers will be over as far as a higher level goes.

Could be the season to do it as well, reduce the losses, galvanise a new side, and with a new TV agreement for 24/25 it might attract the new ownership this club desperately needs. This lot should unload it for quid if they want to get it off their hands.

Is it worth taking the drop on 10:06 - Apr 8 with 6171 viewsterryb

I can't envisage any improvement next season in League One either!

The only way that we could reduce the wages to the level that regulations require is by increasing income. That won't come through gate receipts or transfer fees, leaving donations from the owners as the only means.
Is it worth taking the drop on 10:08 - Apr 8 with 6158 viewsozexile

No no and no again
Is it worth taking the drop on 10:09 - Apr 8 with 6140 viewsJuzzie

‘Taking a drop’ is never a good thing.
Look at Ipswich, Bolton, Charlton. Sunderland took quite a few seasons to get back and that was with 25k+ crowds.
We took three seasons last time, this time I fear would be a lot, lot longer
We need to avoid going down.
Is it worth taking the drop on 10:20 - Apr 8 with 6071 viewsted_hendrix

I've always associated relegation with 'failure' you can analyse our relegation until the bloody cows come home It won't make a bit of difference.
I'd have been quite happy to have stayed middling around the Championship for the rest of my natural life but no we've gone and f ucked that up too.
Why oh why am I reading about FFP and point deductions? WTF has that got to do with me?
Whatever happened to plain old football?
Anyway League One Is a graveyard for relegated Championship clubs and If I'm being honest our current squad including our current Manager If they all stayed would struggle In League One.

If anybody thinks It will be better result wise down In League One then think again.

There'll be no huge queues to purchase our better players after relegation because the majority of them are f ucking useless.

In other words I have completely 100% lost confidence in our clubs ability to turn things around, from the top of the club all the way down.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Is it worth taking the drop on 10:34 - Apr 8 with 5971 viewsjohnhoop

Reminds me of the posts years ago when we were on the way down from the Premier League extolling the virtues of being in the Championship.
Won’t be long before it’s a case of “would League 2 really be that bad?”
Is it worth taking the drop on 10:49 - Apr 8 with 5898 viewsstevec

Is it worth taking the drop on 10:34 - Apr 8 by johnhoop

Reminds me of the posts years ago when we were on the way down from the Premier League extolling the virtues of being in the Championship.
Won’t be long before it’s a case of “would League 2 really be that bad?”

Haha very true and agree you are right at the highest level.

My take on it is £150mill down to £5m is a massive hit, £6m down to £1m is not a massive hit.

Can the club erase that £5m by losing some of our overpaid shysters, very easily.

My guess is the owners could cut at least half of the £24m loss by unloading players and unnecessary staff in L1, probably more. So even adding in the £5m loss of TV money the losses will be much easier to manage.

Look at it this way, with the cumulative losses at present, we are not going to attract the type of players we need to move us up this Division next season. Add in the almost inevitable points deduction we could easily do a 1995/96 and drop out right on cue as the TV money doubles. Relegation next season could be a far bigger catastrophe.
Is it worth taking the drop on 10:54 - Apr 8 with 5886 viewsBlue_Castello

Is it worth taking the drop on 10:09 - Apr 8 by Juzzie

Look at Ipswich, Bolton, Charlton. Sunderland took quite a few seasons to get back and that was with 25k+ crowds.

Absolutely the drop this time would be worse for a number of reasons, I think our attendances will fall off a cliff, that means the revenue stream will plummet, I've watched Ipswich play this year, they were a work in progress but have consistently got better. I know they are looking likely to get promoted but the standard of football generally in League one, certainly in the top half is decent, what I did see was 100% commitment from the team something that we are lacking.

It's interesting to note that one of Ipswichs holding midfield players yesterday was a certain Mr Massimo Luongo, now he would have done a job for us yesterday, he was a free agent in January and he was replaced by a Mr Dom Ball in the 78th minute, we lost that game yesterday in midfield, we didn't compete, Johanson was running on fumes.

If the inevitable happens and we get relegated our supposed better players will want out, they won't want to play in League one, so we will end up taking whatever money we can get before their contracts expire and will have to rebuild from scratch, I genuinely wish it looked different but I am struggling to see how we will attract players to the club bearing in mind they only want the club with the biggest wage packet, hey that's life.....
Is it worth taking the drop on 11:01 - Apr 8 with 5857 viewsDejR_vu

Why would anyone think getting relegated would help? We will have all the same problems just in a lower league. It’s like being depressed and emigrating to a third world country.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Login to get fewer ads

Is it worth taking the drop on 11:07 - Apr 8 with 5836 viewsSK_hoops

Well, we've already lost to two league 1 clubs this seasons, so can't exactly envision us cruising to the top of the league.
Is it worth taking the drop on 11:15 - Apr 8 with 5797 viewsHayesender

Good luck shifting season tickets next season in league 1.

Gonna have to be a massive reduction in prices to get most of us interested

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Is it worth taking the drop on 11:18 - Apr 8 with 5775 viewskropotkin41

It's not like we're getting a choice is it? We are going down.

Now, I agree, a reasonably competitive, well run, middle of the Championship team more or less forever team would have been fine by me.... occasional, you know, cup run and even a tilt at the play offs once a decade. We can't have that. That's gone.

So, here's the question: can we be a well run League One club, that wins some games and gradually recovers some pride? I don't know. It might be worse than that. But, if we can do that in League One, it'll be a lot better, I mean a lot better than this sh*t.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Is it worth taking the drop on 11:25 - Apr 8 with 5749 viewsstevec

Is it worth taking the drop on 11:15 - Apr 8 by Hayesender

Good luck shifting season tickets next season in league 1.

Gonna have to be a massive reduction in prices to get most of us interested

Possibly, but a drop of 1000 season ticket holders is a loss of about £550000 to £575000 in ticket revenue for a whole season. Approximately one players wages.

If you look at the clubs who have dropped, their support base doesn’t drop by much and in some cases has gone up.

We’ve been terrible for the best part of 18 months and our crowds have gone up if anything. I can remember watching us at the top end of the top Division with far less than the 14500+ there to watch us against PNE.
Is it worth taking the drop on 11:37 - Apr 8 with 5710 viewsbosh67

The club is a footballing Titanic. It's hit the iceberg and is sinking. League 1 will be very tough and we will have a points deduction on top of that. If we do by some miracle survive this season next will be very hard at this level. Whichever way you look at it surviving as a club at all is going to be tough. It's a great shame, I think these owners really had good intentions but had their pants pulled down so many times that it makes going forward very hard. Yes they are super wealthy and I am sure that QPR is some kind of tax loss against other profits but by the same token it's all ultimately unsustainable.

If we do go down, which looks likely then there needs to be a total clear out from top to bottom and a totally different player policy and philosophy. I am in the camp that thinks Gareth should stay and build a much more robust and hungry group of players but doubt he will get the chance.

One of the key things is the club's inability to look at the lower leagues for strikers. Kevin Gallen has said this for 2 seasons and he's right. Les came from lower leagues and it has surprised me that he hasn't been active in that area. Last season we had Gray, Austin and Dykes and they weren't the best but they got some goals. This season we've had Dykes, who has been ill and is more a Zamora type forward and Armstrong who has lots of potential but looks about as composed in front of goal and someone standing in a bath holding a toaster. It's not difficult to see why we are where we are. Dieng has scored more goals than Armstrong this season. And that's not me criticising Armstrong. I just don't think he's receiving the right coaching. I'd get Gallen in to coach him personally.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Is it worth taking the drop on 11:40 - Apr 8 with 5693 viewsAndybrat

Is it worth taking the drop on 11:25 - Apr 8 by stevec

Possibly, but a drop of 1000 season ticket holders is a loss of about £550000 to £575000 in ticket revenue for a whole season. Approximately one players wages.

If you look at the clubs who have dropped, their support base doesn’t drop by much and in some cases has gone up.

We’ve been terrible for the best part of 18 months and our crowds have gone up if anything. I can remember watching us at the top end of the top Division with far less than the 14500+ there to watch us against PNE.

We are not a fashionable club which works in our favour in this situation. I have always assumed season ticket holders are in it for the long run, not the glory. If that ever was the case ( glory hunters) we wouldn’t have any now, or for some years. We scream, we kick the cat, but ( in my case) my Dad and Grandad injected the hoops into my blood and as much as my family ( who all hate football) try to remove it, it just won’t leave. I was with my mate of 50 years ( Belchers) and his two highly intelligent sons yesterday, all as frustrated as the rest but still all committed. Madness really. Actually in our bit of the Stan Stand I think it is the same, including youngsters with their Dad ( Hi Paul). Other clubs will have as many idiots as us, you just can’t control the illogical. So a minimum of 4 ST’s sold, assuming we still have a club which is my real fear.
Is it worth taking the drop on 11:59 - Apr 8 with 5646 viewsHarbour

The concern I have when we go down ( I don’t think it’s an if anymore) is what the owners will do…their share of propping the club up will increase even allowing for barn sale of players and reducing the wage bill. The fixed costs of running LR remain the same I just hope they don’t bail on us…tough times ahead.
Is it worth taking the drop on 15:03 - Apr 8 with 5433 viewsBoston

Fight tooth and nail against the drop (if only!).

Ainsworth will be reshaping this squad irrespective of our divisional status. I'd rather he's doing it for the Championship.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Is it worth taking the drop on 18:54 - Apr 8 with 5178 viewsstowmarketrange

Is it worth taking the drop on 11:40 - Apr 8 by Andybrat

We are not a fashionable club which works in our favour in this situation. I have always assumed season ticket holders are in it for the long run, not the glory. If that ever was the case ( glory hunters) we wouldn’t have any now, or for some years. We scream, we kick the cat, but ( in my case) my Dad and Grandad injected the hoops into my blood and as much as my family ( who all hate football) try to remove it, it just won’t leave. I was with my mate of 50 years ( Belchers) and his two highly intelligent sons yesterday, all as frustrated as the rest but still all committed. Madness really. Actually in our bit of the Stan Stand I think it is the same, including youngsters with their Dad ( Hi Paul). Other clubs will have as many idiots as us, you just can’t control the illogical. So a minimum of 4 ST’s sold, assuming we still have a club which is my real fear.

I remember speaking to a Forest fan on the tube after we relegated them to League 1 a few years ago and he said to me that he buys his season ticket to watch Nottingham Forest,not the opposition.
Surely it is the same for the majority of season ticket holders.It was good to see qpr win games in the premier league,but I went to watch our team and didn’t care about any opposing players.
It will be the same in any division we end up in,not that I want us to be relegated.We might end up with fewer walk ups,but I don’t see any reason for many season tickets holders to give up,assuming we manage to sort out the club in the summer.
We might even sell less season tickets struggling in the championship than in League 1.If we manage to stay up this season,I can see nothing changing in the summer.
Is it worth taking the drop on 18:56 - Apr 8 with 5176 viewsVancouverHoop

It's a great shame, I think these owners really had good intentions but had their pants pulled down so many times that it makes going forward very hard. Yes they are super wealthy and I am sure that QPR is some kind of tax loss against other profits but by the same token it's all ultimately unsustainable.

They're typical of modern top-end football club owners. They come from backgrounds where football isn't, or wasn't, part of the culture. They recognise it's international popularity and want in on the action, for both financial and personal reasons, but basically they don't understand what it means to fans here, or it's place in everyday life.

They aren't alone. Overseas owners in the EPL have made as many mistakes but their money cushions them. A bad season? Bring in a new manager, new players, it's only money after all. Sooner or later they'll get it right. The EFL, at least at our level, doesn't allow them to do that. If they try they'll be fined or penalised points. Our lot aren't the only overseas owners in this division who've been caught between a rock and a hard place, and won't be the last. I'm not giving them a pass, they could have done much better. However the rules have been shifted under their feet, and the impact is felt all the way through the club, to the players, and us fans.
Is it worth taking the drop on 19:12 - Apr 8 with 5107 viewsPunteR

The owners arent savvy enough to navigate the club back up to the Championship. The only way they won promotion last time was by throwing money at it. They can't even do that now.
We've basically got a L1 squad now, if we drop it will end up us shopping in the bargain basement.
The club needs to stay in this league.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Is it worth taking the drop on 20:34 - Apr 8 with 4950 viewsHooparoo

Is it worth taking the drop on 10:20 - Apr 8 by ted_hendrix

I've always associated relegation with 'failure' you can analyse our relegation until the bloody cows come home It won't make a bit of difference.
I'd have been quite happy to have stayed middling around the Championship for the rest of my natural life but no we've gone and f ucked that up too.
Why oh why am I reading about FFP and point deductions? WTF has that got to do with me?
Whatever happened to plain old football?
Anyway League One Is a graveyard for relegated Championship clubs and If I'm being honest our current squad including our current Manager If they all stayed would struggle In League One.

If anybody thinks It will be better result wise down In League One then think again.

There'll be no huge queues to purchase our better players after relegation because the majority of them are f ucking useless.

In other words I have completely 100% lost confidence in our clubs ability to turn things around, from the top of the club all the way down.

Spot on mate. Depressing as it is, I entirely agree 😕

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Is it worth taking the drop on 22:00 - Apr 8 with 4812 viewsBluce_Ree

It's never worth going down. What's the fking point of being a fan if our best option is going down?

That said, we are going down. Down to PISSTOWN.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Is it worth taking the drop on 22:38 - Apr 8 with 4753 viewspaulparker

Is it worth taking the drop on 19:12 - Apr 8 by PunteR

The owners arent savvy enough to navigate the club back up to the Championship. The only way they won promotion last time was by throwing money at it. They can't even do that now.
We've basically got a L1 squad now, if we drop it will end up us shopping in the bargain basement.
The club needs to stay in this league.

This , our board are a bunch of useless fcuktards ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Is it worth taking the drop on 01:20 - Apr 9 with 4597 viewsDamo1962

Is it worth taking the drop on 10:09 - Apr 8 by Juzzie

Ipswich will be back soon, and like Luton,Sheff Utd, Bolton and Sunderland, are progressing with momentum built in L1. Even Derby have done OK... given most thought they would drop further. I'll bet a lot of Southampton supporters will be glad to be back in the Championship next season too. Having said all that, the half - glass in me thinks we won't repeat what the above clubs have. We are feckin cursed of course...as well.🤔
Is it worth taking the drop on 01:24 - Apr 9 with 4596 viewsDamo1962

Is it worth taking the drop on 11:07 - Apr 8 by SK_hoops

Well, we've already lost to two league 1 clubs this seasons, so can't exactly envision us cruising to the top of the league.

Hopefully winning more than you lose would be a start. We are never going to be anything but relegation fodder in this league under the current mob.
Is it worth taking the drop on 07:14 - Apr 9 with 4552 viewskitkev

the way your team is not performing i dont believe you have a choice in the matter

if our lot did this they would need security on and off the pitch
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024