Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worse then 01 20:40 - Jan 14 with 8494 viewspaulhoop2

Some of you may not agree that’s the beauty of this forum but for me this lot are worse then last time we went down from the champ.

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Worse then 01 on 09:34 - Jan 15 with 1674 viewsFDC

Worse then 01 on 09:26 - Jan 15 by Watford_Ranger

Yes a good ‘servant’. Could play multiple positions and even take an occasional accurate set piece when that was trendy.

He also pioneered the tragic "will he / won't he return from injury" story arc, later to be adopted by the likes of Ale Faurlin
Worse then 01 on 09:39 - Jan 15 with 1669 viewsmart_Goblin

Worse then 01 on 06:56 - Jan 15 by GaryBannister86

Well spotted on Begovic. Also spent most of the five minutes before the game cuddling some bloke in the opposition. Shouldn't the Captain be focusing on his own team and performance before, during and after the game?

The bloke will just merrily take our wages and disappear upon relegation. He's also not even a very good goalkeeper, as shown today in contrast to the oppo's great save at the end.

I will repeat it ad nauseam - the bloke is not worthy of our support and I just don't get the point of him. Cook back in next week, and for God's sake Marti, give him the armband.

Every week we play against side whose captain refs the game . In the refs ear at every decision and chance and it must have an effect eventually .

We don’t have anyone. And we wonder why we don’t get the rub of the green. It’s so basic.
Before a ball was kicked I said Begovic being captain is wrong on so many levels .

However with cook being continuously injured the choices after him are bleak.
Colback gives off a poor attitude with his body language alone never mind his yellow card tally mission.
Worse then 01 on 09:51 - Jan 15 with 1645 viewsterryb

Worse then 01 on 09:22 - Jan 15 by FDC

Rowlands didn't sign until 2003, and my recollection is of him being a fan favourite? He was certainly my favourite player for a good while

This was a different Rowlands. Keith.
Worse then 01 on 09:56 - Jan 15 with 1633 viewsJuzzie

I don't watch much live football these days at HQ but it just feels to me the lot from '01 just weren't very good (coupled by losing two key players in Langley and Carlisle to ACL's in the same game) but this lot just don't seem to give a schit.

I really do wonder if if being over-paid and utterly pampered has created new generations of players who know they're not good enough for the PL but not bad enough for L2 so they just 'get by' once their nice contract is signed.

£5k a week on a three year contract nets them £780,000.

That's a house paid for (or with a very low mortgage) just on one contract and once done you can go through the rest of your life on a normal wage (in another job probably) knowing you don't have to worry about what is most people's single biggest outgoing.
Worse then 01 on 12:02 - Jan 15 with 1522 viewsderbyhoop

This side has more talent than 01. The attitude, from many, is worse. I'd be surprised if we stay up from here. Considering how many are out of contract in Summer, it could be a chance to rebuild with a hungrier group.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Worse then 01 on 12:05 - Jan 15 with 1517 viewsWatford_Ranger

Worse then 01 on 09:51 - Jan 15 by terryb

He was a Rowland.

Part of the disastrous Sinclair sale IIRC.
Worse then 01 on 12:43 - Jan 15 with 1447 viewsE17hoop

This lot lost 5-0 at Wimbledon (I was there) and pretty much every player we have now is better (with a couple of exceptions):
L Miklosko, M Rose, K Ready, C Plummer, M Perry (M Ngonge, 57), J Darlington, S Wardley, G Peacock, G Kulcsar, C Kiwomya, P Crouch

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Worse then 01 on 13:00 - Jan 15 with 1392 viewsslmrstid

Worse then 01 on 12:43 - Jan 15 by E17hoop

This lot lost 5-0 at Wimbledon (I was there) and pretty much every player we have now is better (with a couple of exceptions):
L Miklosko, M Rose, K Ready, C Plummer, M Perry (M Ngonge, 57), J Darlington, S Wardley, G Peacock, G Kulcsar, C Kiwomya, P Crouch

I would say the level of the second tier now is higher than it was 23 years ago so that offsets it a bit.

We're still crap for the level, sadly.
Login to get fewer ads

Worse then 01 on 13:02 - Jan 15 with 1389 viewsWatford_Ranger

Worse then 01 on 12:43 - Jan 15 by E17hoop

Crouch of then and Kiwomya would clean up nowadays though. I liked Darlington but not many others.
Worse then 01 on 13:18 - Jan 15 with 1347 viewsTheChef

He is a Rowland, singular.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Worse then 01 on 13:30 - Jan 15 with 1320 viewsterryb

Worse then 01 on 13:18 - Jan 15 by TheChef

He is a Rowland, singular.

Yes, but I'm sure he is the player that Dorse meant in the post relating to players in the 00/01 season.

"Player for player, I'd say 01 was worse, but not necessarily in every position.
Rowlands? Dowie? Breacker? Ready? Get to fcuk.

The posts I was replying to were about Rowlands being signed in 2003, thus not being part of that team. Which was Martin rather than Keith.
[Post edited 15 Jan 13:35]
Worse then 01 on 14:21 - Jan 15 with 1261 viewsWatford_Ranger

Worse then 01 on 13:30 - Jan 15 by terryb

Yes, but I'm sure he is the player that Dorse meant in the post relating to players in the 00/01 season.

"Player for player, I'd say 01 was worse, but not necessarily in every position.

The posts I was replying to were about Rowlands being signed in 2003, thus not being part of that team. Which was Martin rather than Keith.

You don’t get footballers named Keith or Martin any more. There can’t be a Keith younger than 35. Who was looking at a newborn baby back in the day and thinking he looks like a Keith? Sort it out etc.
Worse then 01 on 14:27 - Jan 15 with 1247 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Roland never looked interested to me. Ready just looked confused.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Worse then 01 on 14:47 - Jan 15 with 1204 viewsTK1

Worse then 01 on 22:39 - Jan 14 by Boston

We are now playing better football than the 01 squad, though we were strikingly similar when GA was at the helm

The big difference to me is that are fans are moodier.

Disagree. Fans turned big time on team and Francis: remember the Preston and Wimbledon away games (both 5-0), fans were absolutely murderous. Nothing remotely like that so far in terms of atmosphere or results other than Watford on first day. Still time of course. (And still time to turn it around just about).
Worse then 01 on 14:54 - Jan 15 with 1195 viewsNorthernr

Worse then 01 on 14:47 - Jan 15 by TK1

Disagree. Fans turned big time on team and Francis: remember the Preston and Wimbledon away games (both 5-0), fans were absolutely murderous. Nothing remotely like that so far in terms of atmosphere or results other than Watford on first day. Still time of course. (And still time to turn it around just about).

Yeh I was coming on here to say the same thing. I remember being 3-0 down at half time to Barnsley early that season and the fans were trying to get at the players as they went down the tunnel. Francis copped some horrific abuse at Luton in the cup, and Preston in the league.
Worse then 01 on 15:04 - Jan 15 with 1181 viewsTheChef

Worse then 01 on 14:54 - Jan 15 by Northernr

Yeh I was coming on here to say the same thing. I remember being 3-0 down at half time to Barnsley early that season and the fans were trying to get at the players as they went down the tunnel. Francis copped some horrific abuse at Luton in the cup, and Preston in the league.

Yeah at Luton Francis walked all the way across the pitch to the tunnel at half time to a chorus of boos - fairly sure he resigned after that match (which we somehow didn't lose in the end).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Worse then 01 on 15:04 - Jan 15 with 1182 viewsloftus77

When it comes to atttitude, I always remember a story which did the rounds about the 00/01 players laughing and joking as they crashed in and out of an off licence (?) on the way back from the Huddersfield 'Delroy Facey' game which relegated us to the third tier for the first time in 34 years. This tale might have been total BS and unfair - sincere apologies to all involved if so - but its one that always stayed with me.

But I do remember thinking that that team was going through the motions (partic. after the doomed Fulham game already mentioned).

This team today I think is showing more application and talent under Marti - but the result sadly will be the same...
Worse then 01 on 15:10 - Jan 15 with 1155 viewsRs_Holy

Be cool to somehow load all the relevant data into a computer simulation and see who is actually the worst team out of the two??? ...Christer v Osman, Keith Rowlands v Dozel, Lyndon v Kiwomya .... Mouthwatering!

Actually thinking about it if they did that, the computer would probably show a 1-0 defeat for both teams
Worse then 01 on 18:24 - Jan 15 with 1074 viewsHastings_Hoops

Worse then 01 on 21:28 - Jan 14 by Watford_Ranger

Too young to really remember it well but looking at the team on paper it must have been dire.

The L1 years were quite a lot of fun. Lots of crap new grounds and even starting with basically no squad it was achievable to turn it around and compete as we did quite quickly. I can’t see where we’d even begin trying to do that again.

A good starting point is having most of the existing very expensive wasters on expiring contracts and then getting £15m - £20m in transfer fee to spend in league one without selling a player (Eze)
[Post edited 15 Jan 18:29]
Worse then 01 on 18:33 - Jan 15 with 1055 viewsDorse

For the avoidance of doubt, I loved Martin Rowlands but Keith Rowland, not so much.

Ro-land!
[Post edited 15 Jan 18:35]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Worse then 01 on 18:38 - Jan 15 with 1041 viewsFDC

Worse then 01 on 18:33 - Jan 15 by Dorse

For the avoidance of doubt, I loved Martin Rowlands but Keith Rowland, not so much.

Ro-land!
[Post edited 15 Jan 18:35]

Apologies Dorse my mistake. Agreed, Generic English Name 1 was great, Generic English Name 2 was not.
Worse then 01 on 19:04 - Jan 15 with 991 viewsPeterHucker

There's no "s", it's Keith Rowland
See also Mary Hopkin, she must despair

(not often I get to paraphrase Half Man Half Biscuit on here)
Worse then 01 on 19:38 - Jan 15 with 952 viewsPeterHucker

I'll go against the grain here and say that I think we are worse than the 2001 relegation team, which up until recently was the worst QPR squad we've had in my time watching QPR. (since early 80s)

Kiwomya, for all his faults, had more of a goalscorers instinct than all our current attackers put together.

Young Crouch was light years better than young Armstrong, not so young Kelman, young Kolli.
Scored goals & contributed positively pretty much as soon as he got some first team gametime. Nobody made excuses for his lack of ability / composure and said he needed 50 games or a couple of seasons to find his feet.

Miklosko was roughly the same age as Begovic is now. He wasn't great, but he was a lot better than Begovic, who has shown himself to be a bit of a liability and is costing us goals.

Ian Barraclough was a fairly steady Eddie, nothing spectacular, but a fairly reliable defender and had some grit unlike any of our current full backs.

Langley, Carlisle both out injured for a lot of that season, but before that happened they were comfortably better than anyone in the same positions in our current squad.

The main thing is that 2001 squad lacked heart, desire, motivation, but the current lot are even worse for that and have been consistently for a very long time.

Admittedly some other players in 2001 who had actually been reasonable players previously, but by then they were either past-it old crocks (like Adomah, Fox), or couldn't be arsed, or both. (Colback?)
e.g.
Tim Breacker who was a consistently good player for years at Luton & West Ham, but past-it by the time we got him.
Danny Maddix, love him, one of my all-time favourites but he'd had too many injuries by then.
Gavin Peacock who played liked an absolute arse that season.
Hope his Lord & Saviour forgives him because I won't.
[Post edited 15 Jan 19:40]
Worse then 01 on 21:07 - Jan 15 with 857 viewspaulparker

It goes to show how nothing has really changed bar the odd season for 23 years
Gerry walked into the club in 98 which was a shambles full of overpaid time wasters and a terrible youth set up ( sound familiar?? )
He did wonders until that season and then we got a load of injuries coupled with ageing players going through the motions (sound familiar ? )
The boardroom was a mess with radio silence ( sound familiar? )
We got a small glimmer of hope with an up and coming manager but it was to late ( sound familiar? )

This team and this season is on a par with that team there’s nothing romantic about players like Ready, Rowland, kiwomya ,Miklosko , Kulscar they were sh1t and a disgrace
The only bright sparks were crouch , Thomson & dare I say Leon knight

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Worse then 01 on 21:10 - Jan 15 with 851 viewsslmrstid

I suppose the proof in the pudding will be how many points this team finishes up with.

2000-01 we ended up with 40 points from 46, 7 wins (awful), 19 draws and 20 defeats. That team could grind out a draw fairly regularly, it just couldn't win.

Not convinced this lot are getting anywhere near 40 points currently.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024