Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Niko 12:16 - Nov 2 with 6483 viewsswisscottage

here's been little posted about him since he replaced Wallace, and I was just wondering what others thoughts were on him.

From my perspective, I thought he looked a little shaky when he came on for Wallace, but since then I've been impressed with him, as he seem to some on for every game.

He's a bit of a strange one, in that he doesn't really standout much, but just seems to get on with his job with no fuss. He's the sort of player you don't tend to notice much during the match, but when reflecting on it you realise that he hardly put a foot wrong, and you struggle to think of any opportunities created down his side. Even going forward he just quietly got about his business,, getting a couple of half decent crosses into the box, and taking part in a number of triangles.

Now admittedly Cardiff were dreadful on Saturday with their only avenue of attack seemingly long balls down the middle.

Anyway, I for one would be more than happy for him to keep his place over Wallace for the time being.
Niko on 12:20 - Nov 2 with 4733 viewsNorthernr

Reserving judgement until I've seen him live more. My one criticism from what little I've seen so far is he's not a particularly brave player. Little bit light in physical clashes, often turns his back on shots and challenges. But look, he hasn't played half a dozen Championship games in his life yet, so let's see.
Niko on 12:22 - Nov 2 with 4714 viewsdanehoop

He has done well since he has come in. More mobile than Wallace and has a bit more versatility. But still looks a little inexperienced at this level and perhaps not quite as physical/vocal a presence as Wallace. Done OK since he came in, may get an extended run and certainly improve with matches.

Never knowingly understood

Niko on 12:26 - Nov 2 with 4692 viewsMyke

Too early to say yet, but at least it's a relief that we have cover for Wallace. Four year contracts used to be the ultimate gesture of confidence in a player, (or acts of stupidity if you were SWP etc), but currently it seems more a protection of (potential) assets. But hey, at least he doesn't do sliding tackles or imitate Gaelic footballers. Wait and see.
Niko on 12:26 - Nov 2 with 4680 viewsstevec

Niko on 12:20 - Nov 2 by Northernr

Reserving judgement until I've seen him live more. My one criticism from what little I've seen so far is he's not a particularly brave player. Little bit light in physical clashes, often turns his back on shots and challenges. But look, he hasn't played half a dozen Championship games in his life yet, so let's see.

Yeah and that turning the back is not unique to just him. Another of those little things a manager should be on top of.
Niko on 12:57 - Nov 2 with 4589 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I think he's done well. I don't think he has added more in attack which we might have expected but neither has he cost us in defence which again might have been understandable.

I would reinstate Wallace as soon as his fit but I don't think we have to worry any time we need to bring Niko in.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Niko on 13:20 - Nov 2 with 4537 viewsPhilmyRs

Need to see him a bit more, but some potential there. Although Barbet was at fault on Saturday for the first, I think he should have sensed danger a bit more and tucked in to provide cover. Would have likely prevented the goal. On a related note, while I can understand soem criticism of Barbet, it can't be easy being in a defence - i include the keeper in this - with so many inexperienced players alongside you. Defending is very much an art you get better at the more you play, wev'e got limited Championship experience in that backline, so good move to bring Kane back.

I too would put Wallace back once fit but keen to see a bit more of Niko. I also wonder whether Kane or Kakay could fill in at left back. Often putting a right sided player at left back can make it harder for teams to carve through middle of you as body shape/position often means they naturally tuck in a bit more. With Materson often going walkabout it could be worth taking a look during training.
Niko on 13:26 - Nov 2 with 4480 viewstimcocking

It's certainly a huge pleasure watching a youngster who's been with us for years get a decent opportunity. I'm always desperately hoping they do well.
Niko on 13:34 - Nov 2 with 4467 viewsMalintabuk

Niko on 13:26 - Nov 2 by timcocking

It's certainly a huge pleasure watching a youngster who's been with us for years get a decent opportunity. I'm always desperately hoping they do well.

It's hard to judge on a stream. You can't really see what he is doing off the ball. Though he as not pulled up many trees, on the other side of that he doesn't look out of place
There was one lovely moment in the 2nd half where with his back to the Cardiff goal he turned his man and shot up the wing.... and though nothing came of it I think it showed that he may have something about him
Early days but not over worried if he gets a run. Just need to be careful to not expect too much of him as though not very young in age he us in experience
Login to get fewer ads

Niko on 13:59 - Nov 2 with 4383 viewsgolborne

seemed to get a bit of a kicking post barnsley for not standing out in his first full debut(?) in a team that went down to 10 men a quarter into the game after losing their best defender...for one so young and inexperienced at this level I thought he played really well on Saturday, and once he hopefully repeats that the positive voices will follow. Sometimes you need to allow them one good performance to swallow their pride and say something positive after that...
Niko on 14:09 - Nov 2 with 4353 viewsslmrstid

I think he's been ok, not brilliant (yet) nor terrible (yet). Definitely some inexperience which is expected.

He's done enough for me to keep the place for now, regardless of when Wallace is back fit, until either fitness or form dictates otherwise. The only way we'll know if he's any good is by continuing to play him, and I've never been convinced Wallace has the legs for this level.
Niko on 16:59 - Nov 2 with 4147 viewsLazyFan

Decent inventive going forwards, increasing this each game, not really tested defensively by either a crafty winger, pacy winger or bulldozing midfielder.

Still hasn't given away any penalities and has not looked like a weak link so, should stay in the team.

zzzzzzzzzz

Niko on 18:12 - Nov 2 with 4033 viewsMyke

Niko on 13:20 - Nov 2 by PhilmyRs

Need to see him a bit more, but some potential there. Although Barbet was at fault on Saturday for the first, I think he should have sensed danger a bit more and tucked in to provide cover. Would have likely prevented the goal. On a related note, while I can understand soem criticism of Barbet, it can't be easy being in a defence - i include the keeper in this - with so many inexperienced players alongside you. Defending is very much an art you get better at the more you play, wev'e got limited Championship experience in that backline, so good move to bring Kane back.

I too would put Wallace back once fit but keen to see a bit more of Niko. I also wonder whether Kane or Kakay could fill in at left back. Often putting a right sided player at left back can make it harder for teams to carve through middle of you as body shape/position often means they naturally tuck in a bit more. With Materson often going walkabout it could be worth taking a look during training.

I would agree with you re Barbet if he wasn't guilty of similar lunges last season while surrounded by Lumley Hall Manning and Rangel.No doubt he is left more exposed this season but instead of stepping up to take responsibility his own inadequacies are instead being highlighted
Niko on 19:45 - Nov 2 with 3930 viewsVancouverHoop

Niko on 18:12 - Nov 2 by Myke

I would agree with you re Barbet if he wasn't guilty of similar lunges last season while surrounded by Lumley Hall Manning and Rangel.No doubt he is left more exposed this season but instead of stepping up to take responsibility his own inadequacies are instead being highlighted

How many penalties has Barbet conceded since he came to us is it... four... five? Did he have a similar problem at Brentford?
Niko on 20:17 - Nov 2 with 3882 viewsdistortR

Niko on 19:45 - Nov 2 by VancouverHoop

How many penalties has Barbet conceded since he came to us is it... four... five? Did he have a similar problem at Brentford?

thing with Barbet, we do seem to be a better team with him in.
Niko on 20:33 - Nov 2 with 3851 viewsqprd

Say what you like about him, he does provide an outlet going forward that Wallace did not provide

His end product has been ok, but just the fact that hes up there, overlapping and providing an option to the winger has made an immense difference

Defensively, we have not seen enough yet
Niko on 06:55 - Nov 3 with 3668 viewsderbyhoop

Niko on 13:34 - Nov 2 by Malintabuk

It's hard to judge on a stream. You can't really see what he is doing off the ball. Though he as not pulled up many trees, on the other side of that he doesn't look out of place
There was one lovely moment in the 2nd half where with his back to the Cardiff goal he turned his man and shot up the wing.... and though nothing came of it I think it showed that he may have something about him
Early days but not over worried if he gets a run. Just need to be careful to not expect too much of him as though not very young in age he us in experience

I think the same. Steady 6/10 most times. Like Jake Bidwell 2.0.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Niko on 10:46 - Nov 3 with 3493 viewsCiderwithRsie

"Doesn't really stand out much."

Pretty much what I want at RB right now tbh. I have blood pressure to think of.
Niko on 11:25 - Nov 3 with 3432 viewsGloucs_R

Niko on 06:55 - Nov 3 by derbyhoop

I think the same. Steady 6/10 most times. Like Jake Bidwell 2.0.

But on a fraction of the wages I suspect

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Niko on 13:24 - Nov 3 with 3322 viewswestberksr

I think it's very much to his credit that we haven't had much to say about him.

Hardly a Kyle Walker type loan where he did burst onto the scene, but after slow progress with us we wouldn't have expected that from Niko.

hopefully he'll gain confidence and be able to hold his place & not catch the habit of conceding penalties that his colleagues all have!
Niko on 09:36 - Nov 4 with 3117 viewsgazza1

Niko has started OK, nothing great and nothing bad......would like to see him being more dominant and getting forward more but that will come perhaps when he plays a few more matches.

Wallace is still the No1 Left Back for me.
Niko on 15:04 - Nov 4 with 3022 viewswombat

Niko on 09:36 - Nov 4 by gazza1

Niko has started OK, nothing great and nothing bad......would like to see him being more dominant and getting forward more but that will come perhaps when he plays a few more matches.

Wallace is still the No1 Left Back for me.

seems steady but worryingly both left backs dont contribute anything when going forward which was a decent part of our game play last season and sadly missing this season so far dykes would be loving them balls into the box from manning me thinks

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Niko on 21:51 - Nov 4 with 2923 viewsdannyblue

Very decent performance tonight
Niko on 21:59 - Nov 4 with 2883 viewskarl

Niko on 21:51 - Nov 4 by dannyblue

Very decent performance tonight

I was always confident he would be a solid player and a better option than Wallace, I'm hoping to see more of him attacking if we can build on the confidence of this win, he's definitely a decent overlapping fullback.
Same as has happened with Kakay wont be surprised to see him sitting out a few games as it's an intense fixture schedule with his Finland games mixed in as well
Niko on 20:54 - Nov 11 with 2532 viewsaston_hoop

Started at LB for Finland away to France tonight. Currently winning 2-0. Playing against that qulity of opponent aint going to do him any harm thats for sure!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Niko on 22:14 - Nov 11 with 2390 viewsQPRSteve

Played the whole 90 minutes in a 2-0 win.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024