Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Winning Ugly 17:34 - Feb 20 with 4820 viewsHunterhoop

Good lord, that was one of the ugliest Rangers’ wins I can remember. But more importantly, it’s a complete change in team character from the first half of the season when we were losing when playing well.

3 centre halves are clearly helping and, as many others have pointed out, Austin and Johansen have made us a lot more game savvy and vocal, but the whole team seems to have a certain togetherness that wasn’t there 2 plus months ago.

Winning helps, but i’m wondering what else.

I think his legs have gone, but I think Geoff has stepped up and seems to be far more vocal since the arrival of Austin and Johansen. He’s getting involved in celebrations, being far more vocal during the game and with the ref. It’s as if Austin’s presence has helped him feel able to speak up more.

Something similar could be said for Barbet. I actually thought both he and Cameron were better than Dickie today and really seem to be enjoying playing more “agriculturally” at times.

I wonder if the arrival of some gnarly pros has helped some of the older pros in the side feel more confident and comfortable?

I think of what Onuoha said in his podcast about the young vs old games in training and how the younger lads played all the football, looked good, but the old boys always beat them.

Something about the last few weeks makes me think the older boys, with Austin and Johansen’s arrival, have now wrestled control of the dressing room and perhaps are now playing more of a type of leadership/mentoring role to the younger lads than they were?

Worth also pointing out that our run has coincided with BOS being taken out of the team and leaving. Perhaps the club knew what they were doing with BOS and Manning, and their influence in the dressing room wasn’t particularly positive. That’s pure speculation. But something in the character of the players has changed. We’re not even playing very well in some of these games.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 18:04]
Winning Ugly on 17:42 - Feb 20 with 3777 viewsToast_R

The way they have grown in confidence and belief since January has been a phenomenon. Just that bit of experience and quality added and suddenly the jigsaw falls into place.

If the club can retain this squad into next season (including Austin) then this could be a solid platform for a push next season. A bone at last...
Winning Ugly on 17:42 - Feb 20 with 3775 viewsessextaxiboy

I may be off beam but i think the BOS situation affected the squad , after seeing Manning dropped and let go BOS still getting selected whilst sorting out his deal , clearly playing below 100% . I know he played at Luton but we have seemed too have a new mindset since he went .
Winning Ugly on 17:59 - Feb 20 with 3600 viewsterryb

For me, this run feels similar to the run to the play offs in 2003. We kept on winning then against the odds & with a few late goals exactly as we are at the moment.

Above all, there is a togetherness from the players that allows them to compete even when we are under the cosh.

I'm certainly not saying we can continue this run, but I think the players will feel that they can!
Winning Ugly on 18:08 - Feb 20 with 3523 viewsRangersw12

I think it's pretty simple in that now if we create a chance its likely we wil score.

Earlier in the season it seemed so difficult to hit the net and if we conceded it was more or less game over
Winning Ugly on 18:13 - Feb 20 with 3464 viewsCamberleyR

Winning Ugly on 17:42 - Feb 20 by Toast_R

The way they have grown in confidence and belief since January has been a phenomenon. Just that bit of experience and quality added and suddenly the jigsaw falls into place.

If the club can retain this squad into next season (including Austin) then this could be a solid platform for a push next season. A bone at last...

"A bone at last... "

Too much information

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Winning Ugly on 18:14 - Feb 20 with 3455 viewsplasmahoop

It's great isn't it. I am a fan of this winning ugly lark. It's good to see we look like a proper team now. More vocal, cynical and much harder to play against. The strange thing for me was that when they equalised I was actually surprised. And not surprised we got the winner. And I am incredibly pessimistic generally, we could be winning 3 nil and I'm usually anxious. More like a George Graham style team, keep it tight and have a look in the first half, nick a goal and a bit of quality for the winner. Sure we need to keep our feet on the ground, but might as well enjoy it while we can
Winning Ugly on 18:16 - Feb 20 with 3425 viewsWatford_Ranger

I thought it was beautiful.
Winning Ugly on 18:40 - Feb 20 with 3283 viewsChrisNW6

I think it started in December with those important draws and being much tighter at the back. Seny Dieng has made the biggest difference this season, he's the real deal.
Login to get fewer ads

Winning Ugly on 19:09 - Feb 20 with 3139 viewsstevec

Dickie aside, the club made an absolute balls up of the summer signings, then rectified it with the January signings.

We relied on 4 players prior to that, another 5 who were good enough providing they had quality alongside them, which they didn’t have.

Suddenly you get the best out of your Kane’s, Barbets, Cameron’s, Wallace and Balls. You then get the best out of the younger players like Willock and even Bonne.

I have a feeling TF may have played a big part in this recent transformation. I hope the club don’t have another brain fart this summer.
Winning Ugly on 21:06 - Feb 20 with 2996 viewswood_hoop

Ugly and taking a bit of luck going your way in matches, amazing how many good teams are considered 'lucky', they help make that luck more often than not and not let it go if it shows up.

Both goals today had a portion of luck before being well put away, 1st, the defender trying to make a pass across his penalty box, nine times out of ten would clear upfield, or at least give to a team mate and the chance to clear, luck against him this time Johansen stayed calm and slid ball in the net from a ball wouldn't have expected to land at his feet.

2nd, Nice ball from AA across the centre of the goal to an on rushing forward, who just missed connecting, how many times have the oohhs gone up when it happens and there is a defender behind to clear, not this time, Kane was following up behind the forward just in case, luck was on his side but again that good luck was not spurned and great srike to get his goal.

On both occasions for our goals they came from slightly unexpected events but both goal scorers took full advantage, getting into areas in front of the goal where the right bounce of the ball spelled danger to the opposition.

Not just pure luck that won us the game, Bounemouth a very good team and our defenders and keeper had to work very hard to keep them at bay.

May we carry on taking any good fortune coming our way with the same aplomb.
Winning Ugly on 21:49 - Feb 20 with 2877 viewspaulparker

The signing of Austin & Johanson has kept us up , they bring quality to the side
Charlie needs one chance where dykes & Bonne need about seven, it brings a team down when you keep missing gilt edge chances , the defence switch off and before you know it you are chasing a game where you can’t score
I’m not a fan of Warburton and still think we can do better but I will give him credit for changing things especially at the back, Cameron is miles better at the back in a three than midfield
I also mentioned after Brentford that BOS going has made us more than a team , it was obvious he was playing for himself he was a selfish player this season
Anyway onwards and upwards we can start enjoying the season now

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Winning Ugly on 22:00 - Feb 20 with 2834 viewsDavieQPR

Wouldn't have thought Austin and Johansen had ' to wrestle control' of the dressing room as there seemed to have been no leaders. The difference is the change in tactics ( from the man not supposed to have a Plan B) that suited the players and addressed the weakness .I believe Austin has taken to the Senior role like a duck to water.
Winning Ugly on 22:48 - Feb 20 with 2742 viewsted_hendrix

I'll take an ugly win all day long.

I've had to take ugly losses when we've played well.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Winning Ugly on 23:02 - Feb 20 with 2677 viewsMatch82

Winning Ugly on 21:49 - Feb 20 by paulparker

The signing of Austin & Johanson has kept us up , they bring quality to the side
Charlie needs one chance where dykes & Bonne need about seven, it brings a team down when you keep missing gilt edge chances , the defence switch off and before you know it you are chasing a game where you can’t score
I’m not a fan of Warburton and still think we can do better but I will give him credit for changing things especially at the back, Cameron is miles better at the back in a three than midfield
I also mentioned after Brentford that BOS going has made us more than a team , it was obvious he was playing for himself he was a selfish player this season
Anyway onwards and upwards we can start enjoying the season now

Agree on BOS, he's clearly a good player but this season Willock has given us as much just in his few appearances than BOS did in the first 20 games
Winning Ugly on 00:59 - Feb 21 with 2545 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Winning Ugly on 18:08 - Feb 20 by Rangersw12

I think it's pretty simple in that now if we create a chance its likely we wil score.

Earlier in the season it seemed so difficult to hit the net and if we conceded it was more or less game over

No disrespect but that's a rather lazy, simplistic assessment of QPR's improvement since the turn of the year. There have been many factors that have contributed to the change in fortune; most notably a change in formation, more pragmatic tactics, new personnel bringing guile, steel and experience, and the improvement of certain players who were previously underperforming.
Winning Ugly on 01:07 - Feb 21 with 2516 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I'll take winning ugly over plucky losers any day of the week.
Winning Ugly on 01:09 - Feb 21 with 2516 viewsW7Ranger

"not the best looking bird, but we got her in a taxi"
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 13:57]
Winning Ugly on 08:00 - Feb 21 with 2364 viewsTGRRRSSS

I did wonder whether BOS departure has actually helped at least in part - it can be disruptive with somebody around who wants to go, there's clearly many other bigger and more important reasons and details, BUT if somebody is there and is not as focused and committed - I don't doubt it will have an affect of sorts, and at this level you need everybody focused.

I know many Pro's say they are used to it and it doesn't affect them, but they may not be aware of the minor minor tweaks a truly together squad can bring at times.

Not sure we're quite that 2003 side tbh.
Winning Ugly on 08:31 - Feb 21 with 2316 viewsnix

Winning Ugly on 19:09 - Feb 20 by stevec

Dickie aside, the club made an absolute balls up of the summer signings, then rectified it with the January signings.

We relied on 4 players prior to that, another 5 who were good enough providing they had quality alongside them, which they didn’t have.

Suddenly you get the best out of your Kane’s, Barbets, Cameron’s, Wallace and Balls. You then get the best out of the younger players like Willock and even Bonne.

I have a feeling TF may have played a big part in this recent transformation. I hope the club don’t have another brain fart this summer.

Can't agree with this at all. Balls up? How could you call getting Dickie, Uncs and Willock in for pretty much peanuts a balls up? It's blindingly obvious that we wouldn't have got Johansen or Austin in at the beginning of the season because a) they would have wanted a shot at the Premier b) their clubs tried them out at that level and wouldn't have paid most of their wages at that stage and c) we didn't know exactly what we'd need at that point.

Bearing in mind we lost Amos early on in the season, who would have played the DM role to some extent. Also losing Eze impacted the dressing room to some extent as he's such an ebullient character, also probably Pugh and Rangel. We all recognised that but only after quite a lot of the season had happened.

You're also talking with the benefit of hindsight and ignoring the fact that we went in for a lot of players and were simply outbid at the last minute. You're not considering the difference it's made having players actually gelling after playing a while together, improving after playing at a different level and getting match hardened. Also the manager finally having time with the players to try out new formations and work on individual development.

Recruitment wise I think they've done really well. We've plugged some of our gaps, while getting in some really promising young players. I'm delighted with Dickie, Field and Willock and think they could be really something going forward. I also think Bonne and Dykes could have a future and confidence is a big factor. I thought we'd tread water this season and build for the next. Beating Watford, Brentford and Bournemouth with their multi million pound, carefully assembled team of highly paid assets, while being at the same position in the table having slashed our wage bill and lost several of our best players has been a big bonus.
Winning Ugly on 09:10 - Feb 21 with 2247 viewsNorthantsHoop

I like this winning ugly, getting scrappy 1-0 and 2-1 wins and for the time being putting an end to the rollercoaster of winning a couple of games and then getting thrashed, home or away. Warburton and his coaches deserve a lot of credit, change formation, recruit a couple of experienced players, get Senny our best goalkeeper as the No.1. Dickie a great signing and Barbet who is a player reborn in that back 3. We also look a proper difficult team to beat away from home, Warburton is the best manager we have had at club for years, for me he fits us. As well we relied far too much on BOS, give him the ball and hope something happens, now with a stronger midfield albeit with a great loan signing in Johansen again confidence has grown.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 9:12]
Winning Ugly on 09:19 - Feb 21 with 2212 viewsBlue_Castello

Winning Ugly on 08:31 - Feb 21 by nix

Can't agree with this at all. Balls up? How could you call getting Dickie, Uncs and Willock in for pretty much peanuts a balls up? It's blindingly obvious that we wouldn't have got Johansen or Austin in at the beginning of the season because a) they would have wanted a shot at the Premier b) their clubs tried them out at that level and wouldn't have paid most of their wages at that stage and c) we didn't know exactly what we'd need at that point.

Bearing in mind we lost Amos early on in the season, who would have played the DM role to some extent. Also losing Eze impacted the dressing room to some extent as he's such an ebullient character, also probably Pugh and Rangel. We all recognised that but only after quite a lot of the season had happened.

You're also talking with the benefit of hindsight and ignoring the fact that we went in for a lot of players and were simply outbid at the last minute. You're not considering the difference it's made having players actually gelling after playing a while together, improving after playing at a different level and getting match hardened. Also the manager finally having time with the players to try out new formations and work on individual development.

Recruitment wise I think they've done really well. We've plugged some of our gaps, while getting in some really promising young players. I'm delighted with Dickie, Field and Willock and think they could be really something going forward. I also think Bonne and Dykes could have a future and confidence is a big factor. I thought we'd tread water this season and build for the next. Beating Watford, Brentford and Bournemouth with their multi million pound, carefully assembled team of highly paid assets, while being at the same position in the table having slashed our wage bill and lost several of our best players has been a big bonus.

Good post that saved me having to type........
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 9:20]
Winning Ugly on 09:19 - Feb 21 with 2212 viewsgazza1

I agree, I dont think we are playing fantastic atm but, wow, do we work our socks off, other teams must think that we are proper nuisances. Ball for example, not playing that well but he is all over the opposition.

The OP suggests we are better without BOS, Manning (who was a major worry defensively,)etc.....also better without Carroll as well.

We have got the results our hard work and teamwork deserves imho.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 9:23]
Winning Ugly on 09:28 - Feb 21 with 2163 viewsgazza1

Winning Ugly on 19:09 - Feb 20 by stevec

That is proper harsh.....it takes time to get a team playing as you want and it is now playing much more like MW wants.

We have a good overall squad with the summer signings added by the New Year players.
Winning Ugly on 09:31 - Feb 21 with 2155 viewsbosh67

I am really enjoying the more industrial QPR we are seeing at the moment and it has been much needed. We managed to play a glorious season last year as a Kevin Keegan tribute team but with the players we have and their lack of experience plus now some real experience in Austin, Johansen and Albert etc we just look like a team that can, as you say, dig in and win ugly.

By the way the finger in ears celebration by Kane dates back to Christian Benteke and it's about never giving up and believing in yourself. I think Kane possibly does read some of the social media about himself and it's about belief. I think he more than merits his position and his finishing and awareness over the half way line is becoming a bigger asset by the week.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Winning Ugly on 09:33 - Feb 21 with 2146 viewsdavman

Winning Ugly on 08:31 - Feb 21 by nix

Agree with that nix; the thing is whether we are capable on building on the base this team is building or whether we end up selling a couple to "balance the books" and have to start re-building again only for it to gel half way through next season.

I am hoping that the wage bill has been reduced sufficiently not to have to find a £10m+ player every other season, but am not sure that is the case.

This is undoubtedly the risk of signing loan players with this model - the wage bill shoots up; hopefully not to the point where we have to sell an asset to cover them...

Not easy, this real life Football Manager, is it?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024