Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread 13:04 - Jul 10 with 36395 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think I’ve been quite lucky so far no?

Well managed England play will defeat the Italians by the odd goal.

Here’s me putting the gauntlet down:

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:24 - Jul 12 with 1823 viewsdistortR

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:17 - Jul 12 by loftboy

https://mobile.twitter.com/offtheball/status/1414311605727375367?ref_src=twsrc%5

What’s wrong with people

real arseholes.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:26 - Jul 12 with 1808 viewsLythamR

Close but no cigar, despite some questionable subs i think we can be rightly proud of this team and manager

pleased we missed multiple penalties i would hated the burden to have fallen on just one young man
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:37 - Jul 12 with 1743 viewsaston_hoop

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:09 - Jul 12 by Wegerles_Stairs

Well, the best team often doesn't win a tournament. Italy were class from the first game onwards and had to beat tough sides in every round.

Turkey
Switzerland
Wales
Austria
Belgium
Spain

The best side often do win as they are generally the ones that don't lose games. The sides Italy beat - England have beaten most of them recently too. Fair play to Italy, great side, us too though. Sorry for your guys.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 0:38]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:52 - Jul 12 with 1680 viewsRanger_Things

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:15 - Jul 12 by distortR

Really? That's what you got from this?

Not all, as my previous posts will attest but that thought definitely cheered me up. Also the knowledge that the Government ministers who jumped on the England players success to reflect in glory after painting footballers as nefarious villains will now fck off back to rugby, rowing, Olympics etc.

I always try to look for the positives.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:56 - Jul 12 with 1659 viewsCiderwithRsie

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 23:45 - Jul 11 by Stanisgod

Grealish came on too late, Stirling decided to have his worst game of the tournament and then had the front to bottle taking a penalty, leaving a nineteen year old to do it for him.
Other than that we did ok.

Obviously Sterling didn't "decide" to have his worst game of the tournament. Early on when we were on top he was always the guy getting into the box while Kane was playing deep.

I just think Italy are a very good side and excellent defensively and he is the obvious danger man they had to cut out. So they did. Even so he had a little patch at the end of the 90 when I thought he might just turn it.

The guy I thought couldn't get into it in the 2nd half was Kane who had been excellent in the opening spell. Maybe he'd just run out of gas, I think he must have played almost all of every game.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:57 - Jul 12 with 1645 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:52 - Jul 12 by Ranger_Things

Not all, as my previous posts will attest but that thought definitely cheered me up. Also the knowledge that the Government ministers who jumped on the England players success to reflect in glory after painting footballers as nefarious villains will now fck off back to rugby, rowing, Olympics etc.

I always try to look for the positives.

This

Somehow the first thing I heard on the news on the radio this morning was something about Boris Johnson.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 01:03 - Jul 12 with 1629 viewsCiderwithRsie

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:15 - Jul 12 by distortR

Really? That's what you got from this?

I dunno, if we get to another final I'm going to go in fancy dress as an actual c*nt and if I appear on the big screen I'll go bananas.

Sort of hoping it's not in Qatar though as (a) it'll be hot as hell in that thing and (b) the religious police will probably beat the cr*p out of me.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 01:07 - Jul 12 with 1612 viewsSharpy36

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:04 - Jul 12 by Ranger_Things

On the plus side, all those grown men with face paint and crusader costumes have to trudge home in the pissing rain dressed like cnts.

Silver clouds and all that.

Where as you post like one, constantly.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Login to get fewer ads

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 01:10 - Jul 12 with 1606 viewsdistortR

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 01:03 - Jul 12 by CiderwithRsie

I dunno, if we get to another final I'm going to go in fancy dress as an actual c*nt and if I appear on the big screen I'll go bananas.

Sort of hoping it's not in Qatar though as (a) it'll be hot as hell in that thing and (b) the religious police will probably beat the cr*p out of me.

just say you're dressed as the Douglas roundel (Google it!)
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 01:18 - Jul 12 with 1579 viewsdistortR

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 01:07 - Jul 12 by Sharpy36

Roman centurions good, crusaders bad.
I imagine Di Canio is out there somewhere, throwing sieg heils .
Still, as long as it's not England
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 01:25 - Jul 12 with 1557 viewsEmpireStateRanger

As an Italy supporter, thought England took it to em for the first 45. Wasn’t a whole lot going on for the Azzurri, aside from some Chiesa runs. Looked like they were so surprised by England’s width and the LB and RB were really struggling to decide how to cover things out wide.

Adjustments really brought Italy back into the game. Really controlled the midfield and really grew into the game.

Hate that that’s how it was won though. Having Sancho and Rashford come on without touching the ball, and a 19 year old with the all deciding kick, just seemed like poor planning. M
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 03:03 - Jul 12 with 1470 viewsCLAREMAN1995

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:26 - Jul 12 by LythamR

Close but no cigar, despite some questionable subs i think we can be rightly proud of this team and manager

pleased we missed multiple penalties i would hated the burden to have fallen on just one young man

The last 2 subs barely got on the field and in USA the English commentator was afraid Italy would try and make sure Rashford and Sancho did not come on.
Why was Rashford not on at least at half time of extra time .Both Italian central defenders were on yellows (GC could easily have been red )and he would exploit them plus be warmed up to game speed at shootout time .I thought he took way too long in his penalty run up too .Southgate did make a mistake in team selection I believe but when England scored Italy looked in huge trouble and a second goal would have won it IMO.Instead they went all negative and allowed Italy to get back in .
A great Tournament for England though they will learn and win the World Cup in Quatar
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 06:46 - Jul 12 with 1335 viewsDubaiR

Yes and no. France let players off the lead and went home
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 07:31 - Jul 12 with 1244 viewstraininvain

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 06:46 - Jul 12 by DubaiR

Yes and no. France let players off the lead and went home

Likewise Portugal. This idea that we could play all out attack and still make the final is flawed. One of the main reasons Italy won last night was by nullifying our attack. That’s top level football.

We made our first final in 55 years and played some lovely football along the way beating Croatia, Czechs, Germany, Ukraine and Denmark. The last few weeks have been a welcome reminder of what it’s like to live after the worst 18 months imaginable.

It obviously wasn’t meant to be this time. But I couldn’t be prouder of this England team and what they’ve done for us all. They deserve to be treated like heroes the lot of them.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 07:32 - Jul 12 with 1242 viewsPhildo

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 01:25 - Jul 12 by EmpireStateRanger

As an Italy supporter, thought England took it to em for the first 45. Wasn’t a whole lot going on for the Azzurri, aside from some Chiesa runs. Looked like they were so surprised by England’s width and the LB and RB were really struggling to decide how to cover things out wide.

Adjustments really brought Italy back into the game. Really controlled the midfield and really grew into the game.

Hate that that’s how it was won though. Having Sancho and Rashford come on without touching the ball, and a 19 year old with the all deciding kick, just seemed like poor planning. M

I thought Jorginho went down to allow Mancini to do a bit of a time out coaching and Italy gradually improved from there with Verratti doing a superb engine room job and Italy got worse in extra time when he went off. Neither team did enough to win it in open play.

Sterling was heavily marked and Mount was not up to exploiting that space. A lot of the Grealish is Pele chat was over the top- England have loads of good attacking weapons and good defenders as well. Maybe a more creative midfielder is the missing piece to find before the world cup. England could have killed it early on though as they were so dominant that opening 20 minutes.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 07:48 - Jul 12 with 1215 viewsPaddyhoops

You should be proud of this England team.
Sure, Southgate made one two poor choices and inevitably he's defensive instincts cost them a chance of a major tournament win.
However just remember you could of got lumbered with Big Sam and that would have been a disaster for the development of this extremely talented Squad.
The only way is up and I have no doubt England will be competing in semi finals and finals for years to come.
My man of the match was Declan Rice who was outstanding and from an Irish viewpoint was ironic to say the least. Be proud.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 07:58 - Jul 12 with 1174 viewsloftboy

Unfortunately due to the next World Cup being in Qatar I reckon it will be a sigh American team that wins it, can’t see any European team being able to play consistently in that sort of heat.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:05 - Jul 12 with 1156 viewsRanger_Things

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 01:07 - Jul 12 by Sharpy36

Cheers mate. It’s all about consistency.

I hope the face paint and tears come out of the chain mail. You don’t want to lose your deposit.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:05 - Jul 12 with 1153 viewsstevec

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:04 - Jul 12 by Ranger_Things

On the plus side, all those grown men with face paint and crusader costumes have to trudge home in the pissing rain dressed like cnts.

Silver clouds and all that.

Are you Emily Thornberry by any chance?
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:25 - Jul 12 with 1074 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I thought Italy would be too good for England. So much experience.

Lots of positives though.

I knew Rashford was going to miss.
He hesitated and changed his run up. I'm a firm believer in the Steve Bruce type penalty don't look at the keeper, run in and smash it none of that f'kin about.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:26 - Jul 12 with 1073 viewsRanger_Things

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:05 - Jul 12 by stevec

Are you Emily Thornberry by any chance?

Your chat-up lines need a lot of work.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:31 - Jul 12 with 1041 viewsdenhamhoop2

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:23 - Jul 12 by Toast_R

Well its been an amazing ride, as close as you can go to winning a major final but wasnt to be.

I remember norths Post South Africa World cup postmortem- something along the lines of a broken team from a broken system. It was brutal but telling and deeply depressing.

Here we are a decade later and we have a heroic team from what looks like a well oiled functioning system. The young squad we have looks so exciting surely they can only get better and watching them has been an absolute pleasure. Italy better and just too wise on the night but my goodness, feeling so proud and heartbrokem for the players rather than angry and disgusted like 2010 just shows the progress England have made. 18 months until the WorldCup.

Excellent post Toast before the game last night said it made such a change having an England team I actually liked whereas the so called Golden Generation at least 3 of them not so keen on as people. As for last night thought Southgate playing 5 at the back seemed to throw Italy for the first 30 minutes but once they and their manager adjusted took control of the game. Think with a bit more positivity the game was there for the taking but with 5 at the back and 2 holding midfielders only really 3 attackers hard to create much.
Italy were very street wise and allowed to be by a quite weak ref who seemed intent to let the game flow not matter what took place.
Still not sure what the age of the penalty takers has to do with it. I'm 53 now but think a 23 year old me would have more chance of scoring one than now
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:42 - Jul 12 with 992 viewstraininvain

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:31 - Jul 12 by denhamhoop2

Excellent post Toast before the game last night said it made such a change having an England team I actually liked whereas the so called Golden Generation at least 3 of them not so keen on as people. As for last night thought Southgate playing 5 at the back seemed to throw Italy for the first 30 minutes but once they and their manager adjusted took control of the game. Think with a bit more positivity the game was there for the taking but with 5 at the back and 2 holding midfielders only really 3 attackers hard to create much.
Italy were very street wise and allowed to be by a quite weak ref who seemed intent to let the game flow not matter what took place.
Still not sure what the age of the penalty takers has to do with it. I'm 53 now but think a 23 year old me would have more chance of scoring one than now

Exactly. Jordan Henderson’s one of England’s most experienced players and he missed his pen vs Colombia in 2018.

They obviously practised penalties in training and decided the order beforehand rather than picking at the end of extra time.

My only slight criticism would be whether it’s wise to have three young players in a row taking pens as they all seemed to fall apart after Rashford’s miss.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:45 - Jul 12 with 977 viewsnix

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 07:48 - Jul 12 by Paddyhoops

You should be proud of this England team.
Sure, Southgate made one two poor choices and inevitably he's defensive instincts cost them a chance of a major tournament win.
However just remember you could of got lumbered with Big Sam and that would have been a disaster for the development of this extremely talented Squad.
The only way is up and I have no doubt England will be competing in semi finals and finals for years to come.
My man of the match was Declan Rice who was outstanding and from an Irish viewpoint was ironic to say the least. Be proud.

I agree Declan Rice was superb and it was a mystery why he went off and Mount stayed on, unless he was tiring or had a niggle.

Definitely a lot to build on for the World Cup and we won't be scared of playing any teams. We've beaten Germany, which is a big bogey team for us and really weren't far away from beating Italy with a few tweaks, a bit more guile and maybe a willingness to take a few more risks earlier on. As people have said, if we'd got the second goal, we'd probably have done it.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:49 - Jul 12 with 964 viewsdenhamhoop2

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:42 - Jul 12 by traininvain

Exactly. Jordan Henderson’s one of England’s most experienced players and he missed his pen vs Colombia in 2018.

They obviously practised penalties in training and decided the order beforehand rather than picking at the end of extra time.

My only slight criticism would be whether it’s wise to have three young players in a row taking pens as they all seemed to fall apart after Rashford’s miss.

For me in shoot outs the most important penalty is the 4th should be your best penalty taker the 5th is always pressure. Was amazed it wasn't Sterling taking the 5th as I thought it's why him and Kane had been left on as neither was contributing much from an attacking viewpoint. Oh and Smash them head high down the middle keepers never just stand there shame for Pickford as I think he was quite superb in the penalties
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024