Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coventry or Luton? 11:35 - May 27 with 13831 viewshubble

Who do you want to win, and why?

I'd like Coventry to win as I think Robins is a great manager and they deserve a crack at the prem, and I don't like Luton. On the other hand, it will be hilarious if Luton do make it into the prem with all those glam teams and bandwagon fans. So I don't know who I'd prefer to win it tbh. Hopefully it's a good game.

[Post edited 27 May 2023 11:43]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Coventry or Luton? on 20:38 - May 27 with 2916 viewsaston_hoop

Coventry or Luton? on 20:36 - May 27 by Juzzie

Same could be said for a whole load of other Championship clubs but yes, shows it can be done.

I think the main thing is, we can't use the budget or the stadium as an excuse. It can be done. I'm not comfortable with Ainsworth playing up to that.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Coventry or Luton? on 20:40 - May 27 with 2886 viewsBedford_R

Coventry or Luton? on 20:30 - May 27 by DraytonR

I remember going to Luton away with you years ago mate , hope you are well

I'm good. Just suffering supporting QPR.....

RMH_R Reborn

Coventry or Luton? on 20:42 - May 27 with 2874 viewsbosh67

Coventry or Luton? on 20:27 - May 27 by Harbour

Well done Luton fantastic achievement all done on a budget.

Luton fully deserved it. Should have been 3 up after half an hour. But over the course of the season they were the 3rd best side.

We need to learn from this. There is a work ethic at Luton that we just don't have, well, not recently. None of that squad are better than what we have but the application and willingness to run themselves into the ground is miles beyond where we are.

Hopefully we can do it but a lot needs to be learnt about the right way to run a club. Right now we have to look at ourselves. Only Charlton and AFC Wimbledon are below us. Brentford and Luton are miles ahead of us in regards to how the clubs are run and players running through brick walls every game.

BTW hope Tom Lockyear is okay. That looked horrible and I hope he recovers very quickly.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Coventry or Luton? on 20:46 - May 27 with 2835 viewsBedford_R

Coventry or Luton? on 20:42 - May 27 by bosh67

Luton fully deserved it. Should have been 3 up after half an hour. But over the course of the season they were the 3rd best side.

We need to learn from this. There is a work ethic at Luton that we just don't have, well, not recently. None of that squad are better than what we have but the application and willingness to run themselves into the ground is miles beyond where we are.

Hopefully we can do it but a lot needs to be learnt about the right way to run a club. Right now we have to look at ourselves. Only Charlton and AFC Wimbledon are below us. Brentford and Luton are miles ahead of us in regards to how the clubs are run and players running through brick walls every game.

BTW hope Tom Lockyear is okay. That looked horrible and I hope he recovers very quickly.

Tom Lockyears' dad posted a picture of him from his hospital bed celebrating their win. So he's awake and hopefully on the mend..

RMH_R Reborn

Coventry or Luton? on 20:56 - May 27 with 2778 viewsJuzzie

Coventry or Luton? on 20:38 - May 27 by aston_hoop

I think the main thing is, we can't use the budget or the stadium as an excuse. It can be done. I'm not comfortable with Ainsworth playing up to that.

Yes and can apply to every other similar club. Certainly going to put the pressure on now.
Coventry or Luton? on 21:04 - May 27 with 2750 viewsqpr1976

Coventry or Luton? on 14:09 - May 27 by Snipper

Luton and QPR have had constant battles since the early 80s. Loads of fighting between the fans in those years, so there’s definitely no love lost.

That 30 point deduction they got a few years back which relegated them to the National League was an absolute pìss take.

What they’ve done since is bloody remarkable. It just goes to prove what can be done on a shoestring.

As for Coventry, I’ve never had a problem with them, bar our ill fated away game in 1996 which practically sealed our relegation.
There was loads of fisticuffs outside the ground.

What they’ve had to put up with over the years with playing at Northampton and Birmingham is also remarkable.

They’ve got a very very good manager who’s stuck with them.

So to summarise, just because of the hatred of each other, I can’t go for Luton.

I hope it’s a great game.

No it wasn’t.
3rd Admin failure in 5 years = cheating x3, thus 20 pts. Then guilty of 56 financial irregularities, another 10 pts.
At what point it that unfair ?
Fair play for their recovery since though.

That 30 point deduction they got a few years back which relegated them to the National League was an absolute pìss take.
Coventry or Luton? on 21:40 - May 27 with 2571 viewsDiscodroids

bitterly disappointed.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Coventry or Luton? on 21:57 - May 27 with 2498 viewsManinBlack

Coventry or Luton? on 20:42 - May 27 by bosh67

Yes Luton are ahead of us now and with the parachute money when they return they will have the funds while we remain skint. I can't see them frittering away the money on waste like we did.

Penalties is a rubbish way to settle a seasons graft. I understand it in cup games and tournaments but over 50 games in a league season it is a desperate way to lose on one kick. Having said that it is difficult to argue Luton don't deserve it. Two consecutive seasons in the play offs and they finished 10 points above Coventry.

Luton is my home town and I know a lot of good lads who follow them around so I am pleased for them for the reasons stated earlier.
Login to get fewer ads

Coventry or Luton? on 22:12 - May 27 with 2439 viewsBoston

Coventry or Luton? on 20:18 - May 27 by Lblock

How do Les, Bungle and the boys feel tonight with their glass of claret on the go?

Two clubs with budgets lower than us.
Both with a set style of play
Players both perm and on loan all bought in to the ethos
Smaller squads
Couple of good managers

Neither club should be lacing our boots but out of the two, Lootown? I mean FFS, Lootown
Hang your heads lads

I think you've nailed it. It's the perms, worked for Liverpool back in the day.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Coventry or Luton? on 22:14 - May 27 with 2432 viewsandrew1302

Achieving what Luton have done, what Millwall got close to what Brentford and Brighton have already done starts at the top. If you don't have the right ownership and management structure you will get nowhere. Ruben please take note. The running of this club of ours has been a disaster since you took over. Fernandes was an egomaniac who really messed up big time followed by Ferdinand who has simply failed on the main criteria he set himself. If you don't get your structure right keep on writing the £2m a month cheques because that is what Ferdinand and his cronies are costing you. Clear them out and get in some people who know how to rub a football club and moreover know players to sign as amongst many other parts of this club we must rank as one of the worst in this area. What is it 40 academy players and only Armstrong who may make it beyond League1. Our problem lies at the top end. If you don't get that right the rest as it is will be a disaster.
Coventry or Luton? on 22:43 - May 27 with 2327 viewsrrrspricey

Listening to the player interviews and seeing Rob Edwards in tears when they told him that Lockyer was conscious and celebrating, their togetherness and team spirit was abundant to everyone.

Unfortunately, it was like watching the antithesis of us.

On the upside, Mrs P is ecstatic so little Pricey is definitely going to score tonight
Coventry or Luton? on 23:19 - May 27 with 2221 viewsted_hendrix

Yea well hip hip hooray to Luton but lets not use that as another excuse to keep knocking our club eh?

One of our worst seasons In many a year has finished so lets just let It go with knocking everything about QPR some sort of amnesty eh?

Whatever.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Coventry or Luton? on 23:30 - May 27 with 2199 viewsqprxtc

Coventry or Luton? on 23:19 - May 27 by ted_hendrix

Yea well hip hip hooray to Luton but lets not use that as another excuse to keep knocking our club eh?

One of our worst seasons In many a year has finished so lets just let It go with knocking everything about QPR some sort of amnesty eh?

Whatever.

Af uckinmen Ted.
Coventry or Luton? on 23:51 - May 27 with 2135 viewsjoe90

Luton’s promotion gives me with hope. It shows that a well run club on a small budget can succeed. We need to gather some momentum to get us back up. Luton, Brentford and Brighton have all had that. Keep the faith, our time will come.
Coventry or Luton? on 00:08 - May 28 with 2115 viewsNov77

Coventry or Luton? on 23:51 - May 27 by joe90

Luton’s promotion gives me with hope. It shows that a well run club on a small budget can succeed. We need to gather some momentum to get us back up. Luton, Brentford and Brighton have all had that. Keep the faith, our time will come.

Not with these owners, dof, or coaching staff.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Coventry or Luton? on 06:33 - May 28 with 1899 viewsbongo_king

Rob Edwards, Watford, Luton.

I'd say his experience this season goes to show that success depends on the overall setup even more than the manager. He was kicked out of the basket case that is Watford after winning 3 of his first 10 games, I remember watching us beat them back in the parallel universe of Aug 22 and they looked like a collection of big names rather than a team. He goes to Luton and gets them promoted (ok the poisonous imp built the foundation but I'd say Edwards took them to this next level).

When we played them back in November it was touted as a bit of a sliding doors moment, different timing and we could have ended up with Edwards and Luton with Critchley. Retrospectively, probably more of a sliding doors moment for Luton given they went up. We're arguably closer to Watford in behind the scenes stuff than Luton, not sure Edwards (or anyone else) if appointed in Nov/Dec would have got us anywhere near the playoffs this year.
Coventry or Luton? on 07:35 - May 28 with 1844 viewsMetallica_Hoop

My 31 bus got diverted yesterday as I was trying to get to Camden and by Finchley road they were everywhere.

My late auntie used to live next door to the ground and I was presented with an Addidas 'Tango' ball as a teen curtesy of the football league as it ended up in her garden.

As it turns out it was not meant for grass and deteriated rapidly when played with in a school game.
Either that or they were not meant for multiple use.

I have more of a dislike for Coventry as at the opening of The Ricoh I left early and while walking to the coach had 7 or more chaps pointing at me as I was heading to the tunnel to the car park they were heading the same way on a different path.
I decided to run once I hit the tunnel as I was 80ish or so yards from them as It turned in there were 4 coppers at the other end of the tunnel. I've never been so pleased to see multiple Police.
They were 3-0 up, the locals must have mistaken me for one of our casuals even though I was on my own.

I've had a dislike for them ever since.
[Post edited 28 May 2023 7:37]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Coventry or Luton? on 07:46 - May 28 with 1800 viewsHoop_Northants

Well done Luton, have no problem in them going up, know a few Luton supporters nice guys. Have to admire how they have raised themselves up and the players they have brought in. Adebayo and Morris proper strikers those two, why the hell we can't get these type of players is a mystery to me. Rob Edwards what a job he has done building on Nathan Jones team. Just shows what a mess of a club Watford is, to let him go after 10 games, expecting that Edwards is going to be in demand higher up the food chain pretty soon.
Coventry or Luton? on 07:54 - May 28 with 1772 viewsstevec

Coventry or Luton? on 23:19 - May 27 by ted_hendrix

Whatever.

Fair enough but we’ve cut them more than enough slack for years and years now and the club carry on regardless, giving us Les & Co ad infinitum.

After the latest debacle you’d think something might be changed. No sign of that yet and does anyone honestly think changes are coming?
Coventry or Luton? on 08:17 - May 28 with 1715 viewsHoop_Northants

Coventry or Luton? on 07:54 - May 28 by stevec

Fair enough but we’ve cut them more than enough slack for years and years now and the club carry on regardless, giving us Les & Co ad infinitum.

After the latest debacle you’d think something might be changed. No sign of that yet and does anyone honestly think changes are coming?

It will be interesting to see if Gareth is given the flexibility to change the team and style of how we play. Finances apart which dictate our current state we have to become harder as a team and find players that have the physicality to be competitive and not a creche for premier academy footballers. There are gems in the lower leagues, the trick is uncovering them and integrating into a cohesive football team, something that has been missing for quite a while in W12.
Coventry or Luton? on 08:38 - May 28 with 1646 viewsNortholt_Rs

Coventry or Luton? on 20:38 - May 27 by aston_hoop

Neither useless Ferdinand nor the defeatist Hoos can hide behind those feeble excuses any longer because look, it CAN be done! Just compounds a thoroughly miserable season for QPR. Dogshít.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Coventry or Luton? on 08:59 - May 28 with 1604 viewsCamberleyR

Coventry or Luton? on 08:17 - May 28 by Hoop_Northants

It will be interesting to see if Gareth is given the flexibility to change the team and style of how we play. Finances apart which dictate our current state we have to become harder as a team and find players that have the physicality to be competitive and not a creche for premier academy footballers. There are gems in the lower leagues, the trick is uncovering them and integrating into a cohesive football team, something that has been missing for quite a while in W12.

I think Luton have always seemed to have that ethos that there are decent players in the lower leagues, they just need to be given a chance. On an old Big Match Revisited from the 79/80 season when they showed us playing at Kenilworth Road, I remember Brian Moore saying about the Luton team that bar their goalkeeper Findlay who had come from Villa and Ricky Hill from their youth team, every other player had come from a lower league team.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Coventry or Luton? on 10:51 - May 28 with 1406 viewsDejR_vu

Coventry or Luton? on 07:54 - May 28 by stevec

It’s not looking likely is it? I would have thought any change would have been made before the season tickets went on sale. LF was pictured meeting Prince William in the week.

It always felt like LF’s appointment was to appease the fans when the heat got too much for TF; the timing, who he was, the fact he had no experience.

Either LF is utterly useless, or he’s been complicit in a charade allowing incompetent owners to continue to run the club into the ground. I suspect it’s a combination of the two. The very definition of the blind leading the blind. If so, I suspect he won’t be going anywhere soon because you would have thought, if he was going to resign, he would have done so by now. The Board aren’t going to want him to lift the curtain, so it looks like they’re not going to sack him. By keeping him it’s business as usual, everyone’s happy except the fans.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Coventry or Luton? on 12:10 - May 28 with 1283 viewsNortholt_Rs

Coventry or Luton? on 10:51 - May 28 by DejR_vu

It’s not looking likely is it? I would have thought any change would have been made before the season tickets went on sale. LF was pictured meeting Prince William in the week.

It always felt like LF’s appointment was to appease the fans when the heat got too much for TF; the timing, who he was, the fact he had no experience.

Either LF is utterly useless, or he’s been complicit in a charade allowing incompetent owners to continue to run the club into the ground. I suspect it’s a combination of the two. The very definition of the blind leading the blind. If so, I suspect he won’t be going anywhere soon because you would have thought, if he was going to resign, he would have done so by now. The Board aren’t going to want him to lift the curtain, so it looks like they’re not going to sack him. By keeping him it’s business as usual, everyone’s happy except the fans.

He is quite clearly utterly useless. It will be interesting to see what other club offers him a DOF role when he eventually does get moved on….

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Coventry or Luton? on 12:16 - May 28 with 1259 viewsWatford_Ranger

Coventry or Luton? on 08:38 - May 28 by Northolt_Rs

Neither useless Ferdinand nor the defeatist Hoos can hide behind those feeble excuses any longer because look, it CAN be done! Just compounds a thoroughly miserable season for QPR. Dogshít.

Obviously Luton have massively over-performed but success for us isn’t all about promotion. If we have a mid-table budget then we can expect a mid-table finish and more than that is a small success.

Next season we probably have a bottom six budget so if we under-perform we’re toast as I honestly think we will do. If a business performed below expectations and was forced to cut its budget as we have there’d be a lot more pressure on the directors than appears to be the case with us.

FWIW I think Les is poor at his job but I don’t know for a fact if he’s poor or not. There are DOFs who get lucky and the club does well and they aren’t scrutinised much and there are some whose clubs struggle despite them being quite good much like any industry.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024