Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Possible January signings. 08:48 - Dec 13 with 31048 viewsSnipper

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but will Marti possibly raid his old club, or other Swedish/Nordic clubs for players?

He obviously knows what we need and what budget he’ll have.

January should be interesting.
Possible January signings. on 17:31 - Dec 20 with 2826 viewsdavman

Possible January signings. on 16:22 - Dec 20 by R_from_afar

"...unless we sell Chair which may allow us to spend".

The trouble is, that is like selling your engine so you can afford to fix your gearbox

Chair will not be going. Not with three years left on his contract (2 + option). Willock on the other hand HAS to go if we are going to get anything for him...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Possible January signings. on 17:38 - Dec 20 with 2795 viewsLblock

Possible January signings. on 17:31 - Dec 20 by davman

Chair will not be going. Not with three years left on his contract (2 + option). Willock on the other hand HAS to go if we are going to get anything for him...

Agree

Sad state of affairs with Willock

If he won’t sign a new deal (form over last year and a bit doesn’t justify him being offered one IMHO) then you’d take two Bob and a conker for him.
I just cannot see him giving 100% as his deal whittles down to nothing before he signs for Slumberland and Uncle Boil….. sell him now for £50k if you can get it.
It’s BOS Part II but this one not really of the clubs making

Two years ago you’d be mad to accept anything less than £8mill with clauses.

How madly frustrating it is

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Possible January signings. on 18:09 - Dec 20 with 2649 viewsgazza1

If we get a bid for Chair at the upper level (£5million plus) I do not believe that we will be keeping him.......as long as at least half of it is spent on transfers, buying player(s), then I am disappointed but I understand it.
Possible January signings. on 18:24 - Dec 20 with 2607 viewsdaveB

Possible January signings. on 16:22 - Dec 20 by R_from_afar

"...unless we sell Chair which may allow us to spend".

The trouble is, that is like selling your engine so you can afford to fix your gearbox

we've seen with Dickie, Willock, Dieng etc you need to sell to reinvest in the squad.
I don't want Chair to go but if we get a 5/6million bid for him this window we should seriously consider it
Possible January signings. on 18:28 - Dec 20 with 2592 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Possible January signings. on 18:24 - Dec 20 by daveB

we've seen with Dickie, Willock, Dieng etc you need to sell to reinvest in the squad.
I don't want Chair to go but if we get a 5/6million bid for him this window we should seriously consider it

If we do sell Chair for £6m, we shouldn’t spend it in the same January because we’re going to need it in League One.
Possible January signings. on 19:12 - Dec 20 with 2482 viewsSuperhoops2808

Still sticking my neck out and think Willock will sign another contract
Possible January signings. on 19:15 - Dec 20 with 2476 viewsQPR_Jim

Possible January signings. on 18:28 - Dec 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

If we do sell Chair for £6m, we shouldn’t spend it in the same January because we’re going to need it in League One.

That seems to be the way many people see it, we lose Luke Freeman we're going down, we lose Eze we're going down, we lose Chair/Willock we're going down. It'll happen eventually (ironically maybe even with both Chair and WIllock staying) but we can't cling onto players just because we're scared the replacement might not be as good.

Chances are the players you keep hold of will lose form, get injured or simply stop playing to wind down their contract, so you wouldn't be keeping the asset you think you've got anyway.
Possible January signings. on 19:22 - Dec 20 with 2446 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Possible January signings. on 19:15 - Dec 20 by QPR_Jim

That seems to be the way many people see it, we lose Luke Freeman we're going down, we lose Eze we're going down, we lose Chair/Willock we're going down. It'll happen eventually (ironically maybe even with both Chair and WIllock staying) but we can't cling onto players just because we're scared the replacement might not be as good.

Chances are the players you keep hold of will lose form, get injured or simply stop playing to wind down their contract, so you wouldn't be keeping the asset you think you've got anyway.

I didn’t say I was against it. I know we need to be a selling club. It’s the reality of the Football League financing model.

It’s maths and timing I’m on about really. Take Chair’s goals out of our season so far and it will give you a clue as to where we’ll be going forward.

We could sell him in January but I’d question any replacement wanting to join us while we’re in the bottom four or five.

Eze followed Freeman, and Chair followed Eze, and both went in the summer. We don’t have a Chair waiting to burst through I assume.

Perhaps a loan could be the answer but as we’ve found out over the last few seasons, the market is full of Tyler Roberts types. Maybe we’ll strike lucky but I’d rather wait to sell him in the summer if we have to.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2023 19:28]
Login to get fewer ads

Possible January signings. on 22:11 - Dec 20 with 2211 viewsLblock

Possible January signings. on 19:15 - Dec 20 by QPR_Jim

If you’re fighting relegation or chasing prizes then you don’t let your best players leave in January unless
A) the bids are massively more than your valuation
Or
B) you have a ready made replacement

There are of course C’s and D’s like your owners / you are skint, the club has given up, the player is a c unit etc, etc

Possible January signings. on 23:16 - Dec 20 with 2118 viewsVancouverHoop

I can't see Willock wanting anything to do with Beale, after the way he overplayed him with us. I think he'll likely run his contract down, and test the market at the end of the season.
Possible January signings. on 00:03 - Dec 21 with 2050 viewsNorthernr

Possible January signings. on 22:11 - Dec 20 by Lblock

If you’re fighting relegation or chasing prizes then you don’t let your best players leave in January unless
A) the bids are massively more than your valuation
Or
B) you have a ready made replacement

There are of course C’s and D’s like your owners / you are skint, the club has given up, the player is a c unit etc, etc

But if you've got a team that is massively deficient in multiple areas (which I think you and I would both agree ours is) then what use is a good no.10? If selling him means you can breathe 3-4 new players into the team you do it, you obviously do it.
Possible January signings. on 00:33 - Dec 21 with 2007 viewsPunteR

Posted on the Chair thread but more relevant here i think. .

You have to sell now. We've held on to players too long in the past thinking we're gonna significantly improve our league position but unfortunately Chair won't win us promotion. Keep us up maybe? Dunno. I think with a couple of shrewd signings in Jan weve got enough. Marti sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Possible January signings. on 00:34 - Dec 21 with 2001 viewsBrisbaneR

This is the real test of the 'lessons learned' isn't it? What sort of club are we?

We were all onboard for the buy low, develop and sell high model at one point, then got over excited about a possible push for promotion and threw away all that good work. We're now at the other end of the table and perhaps some of us want to hang on to good players to avoid a potential drop.

Thing is, a good principle is a good principle, regardless of the circumstances of the moment.
Possible January signings. on 00:44 - Dec 21 with 1991 viewsPunteR

Possible January signings. on 00:34 - Dec 21 by BrisbaneR

This is the real test of the 'lessons learned' isn't it? What sort of club are we?

We were all onboard for the buy low, develop and sell high model at one point, then got over excited about a possible push for promotion and threw away all that good work. We're now at the other end of the table and perhaps some of us want to hang on to good players to avoid a potential drop.

Thing is, a good principle is a good principle, regardless of the circumstances of the moment.

Out of all the players we have atm i would love nothing more to see chair lift a trophy with us. He deserves it. Reality is, he aint.
This squad needs major surgery.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Possible January signings. on 07:49 - Dec 21 with 1822 viewsnix

Possible January signings. on 00:34 - Dec 21 by BrisbaneR

I was on board at spending a bit that season to keep Johansen and Austin and have a go at promotion but I had no idea we'd be spending £25 million to do it. I wouldn't have agreed with ripping up the whole strategy. I was a bigger fan of keeping going with it for a few more seasons. How many of us would really have thought £25m was a sensible gamble?
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 7:49]
Possible January signings. on 09:51 - Dec 21 with 1615 viewsTheChef

Possible January signings. on 07:49 - Dec 21 by nix

I was on board at spending a bit that season to keep Johansen and Austin and have a go at promotion but I had no idea we'd be spending £25 million to do it. I wouldn't have agreed with ripping up the whole strategy. I was a bigger fan of keeping going with it for a few more seasons. How many of us would really have thought £25m was a sensible gamble?

Exactly. Don't change the strategy!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Possible January signings. on 10:40 - Dec 21 with 1528 viewsBakes

I’d have the kid starting over Dozzell every time, has that ability to create something out of nothing, tackles and most importantly can beat a man and run FORWARDS with the ball.

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Possible January signings. on 11:26 - Dec 21 with 1434 viewsLblock

Possible January signings. on 10:40 - Dec 21 by Bakes

I’d have the kid starting over Dozzell every time, has that ability to create something out of nothing, tackles and most importantly can beat a man and run FORWARDS with the ball.

A big fat no from me.

Didn’t he get one goal and one assist for us across the whole season?

What did you ever see him create out of anything let alone nothing??
Crazy thing is I do think there’s a player in there and there was an away game where he got booked after 40 seconds, walked a tightrope rest of game and was MoM which impressed me.

He’ll make it somewhere but not here

Possible January signings. on 11:55 - Dec 21 with 1389 viewsTommyQPR

Possible January signings. on 10:40 - Dec 21 by Bakes

This is the sort of player we need to buy and develop.
Possible January signings. on 12:19 - Dec 21 with 1325 viewsHAYESBOY

Possible January signings. on 11:55 - Dec 21 by TommyQPR

This is the sort of player we need to buy and develop.

Sunderland bound then...............

Smells like a trout farm in here

Possible January signings. on 12:22 - Dec 21 with 1306 viewsderbyhoop

Possible January signings. on 11:26 - Dec 21 by Lblock

A big fat no from me.

Didn’t he get one goal and one assist for us across the whole season?

What did you ever see him create out of anything let alone nothing??
Crazy thing is I do think there’s a player in there and there was an away game where he got booked after 40 seconds, walked a tightrope rest of game and was MoM which impressed me.

He’ll make it somewhere but not here

Iroegbunam ismprecisely the sort of player that meets the QPR model.
He's young, talented and likely to get considerably better.
If we can afford a sensible asking price, develop and sell on in 2-3 years for 5x the price he was bought for.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Possible January signings. on 12:24 - Dec 21 with 1299 viewsBakes

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtPRrNiuSS1/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I know it’s just a highlight reel but just watch him, he has something that we don’t have at the moment.

He was criminally used by GA, imagine him under Marti.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 12:26]

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Possible January signings. on 12:27 - Dec 21 with 1291 viewsNorthernr

One would assume Sunderland will now be all over that one like a donkey on a hot waffle.
Possible January signings. on 12:43 - Dec 21 with 1272 viewsBklynRanger

Possible January signings. on 07:49 - Dec 21 by nix

I felt the same way Nix, but still have sympathy for them going for it to some extent.

Possible pedantry alert, but it wasn't a 25mill gamble though was it? It was whatever they went over budget by, which I thought was 3 or 4 mill roughly?

Yes, bad idea in the end of course - and it's not our job to be on top of the purse strings anyway. Just a yuletide disclaimer there.

On a similar spendy note, Tim O I would have back no problem at the right price. He actually kept going and didn't hide long after others had stopped, and does have some quality about him. If we lose Chair we may need to look at being a different kind of side (could be quite refreshing) - somebody like him might help that happen and I'd be intrigued to see what Marti could get out of him in terms of consistency.
Possible January signings. on 12:53 - Dec 21 with 1227 viewsnumptydumpty

Possible January signings. on 12:43 - Dec 21 by BklynRanger

I felt the same way Nix, but still have sympathy for them going for it to some extent.

Possible pedantry alert, but it wasn't a 25mill gamble though was it? It was whatever they went over budget by, which I thought was 3 or 4 mill roughly?

Yes, bad idea in the end of course - and it's not our job to be on top of the purse strings anyway. Just a yuletide disclaimer there.

On a similar spendy note, Tim O I would have back no problem at the right price. He actually kept going and didn't hide long after others had stopped, and does have some quality about him. If we lose Chair we may need to look at being a different kind of side (could be quite refreshing) - somebody like him might help that happen and I'd be intrigued to see what Marti could get out of him in terms of consistency.

Pretty certain any bid £5 million plus for Chair will be taken and possibly Marti has four £1 million players or loanees to find.

Striker, centre midfielder, creative attacker, and potentially another centre back..
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 12:55]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024