Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Return of the European Super League???? 09:05 - Dec 21 with 7285 viewsLblock

Ruling just made that FIFA and UEFA acted illegally in blocking it.

Thats good news for me.

Sooner they sod off and play each other four times a year the better.

The rest of us will survive somehow and could be the reset football needs

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Return of the European Super League???? on 11:24 - Dec 21 with 1606 viewsNorthernr

Return of the European Super League???? on 11:21 - Dec 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

I might be wrong, but I think the government are proposing legislation that will make a breakaway league impossible.

Well they're proposing legislation that would make it one or the other. You go and do that if you like, but you're booted from the domestic game.
Return of the European Super League???? on 11:30 - Dec 21 with 1585 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Return of the European Super League???? on 11:24 - Dec 21 by Northernr

Well they're proposing legislation that would make it one or the other. You go and do that if you like, but you're booted from the domestic game.

I thought it was about being able to operate in the country? Unless Man U want to base themselves in Madrid I can’t see it happening.

The income and stability from being based domestically must surely outweigh the financial benefit of playing six or seven teams a year?
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 11:38]
Return of the European Super League???? on 11:44 - Dec 21 with 1549 viewsNorthernr

Return of the European Super League???? on 11:30 - Dec 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

I thought it was about being able to operate in the country? Unless Man U want to base themselves in Madrid I can’t see it happening.

The income and stability from being based domestically must surely outweigh the financial benefit of playing six or seven teams a year?

We'll see. On both counts.
Return of the European Super League???? on 11:45 - Dec 21 with 1546 viewsLanhoop

I'd assume the FA could also block any English 'super league' player from representing England as they'd no longer hold an FA player registration? Maybe FIFA/UEFA would be in the same position?
Return of the European Super League???? on 11:50 - Dec 21 with 1525 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Return of the European Super League???? on 11:44 - Dec 21 by Northernr

We'll see. On both counts.

It’s risky for both parties. Money will win out though I guess.
Return of the European Super League???? on 12:01 - Dec 21 with 1493 viewsNorthernr

Return of the European Super League???? on 11:50 - Dec 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

It’s risky for both parties. Money will win out though I guess.

Just loads and loads of games in Saudi Arabia.
Return of the European Super League???? on 12:16 - Dec 21 with 1439 viewsTomS

Return of the European Super League???? on 11:30 - Dec 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

Looking further afield, some franchised teams in American sport don't seem to have a problem moving from city to city when it suits them.
Return of the European Super League???? on 12:17 - Dec 21 with 1441 viewsHAYESBOY

Did they mention how many points we will be deducted in this ruling?

Smells like a trout farm in here

Login to get fewer ads

Return of the European Super League???? on 12:30 - Dec 21 with 1390 viewsderbyhoop

Return of the European Super League???? on 12:17 - Dec 21 by HAYESBOY

Did they mention how many points we will be deducted in this ruling?

Of course.
QPR will be deducted 10 points.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Return of the European Super League???? on 12:38 - Dec 21 with 1367 viewsNorthernr

Maybe they'd like to take VAR with them when they fck off?
Return of the European Super League???? on 12:49 - Dec 21 with 1346 viewsBluce_Ree

I'd love it if the big clubs all f**ked off. But then I don't much care if football totally ends either. It's been mostly shit being a QPR fan. All I've got going for it is that I got to support the greatest club that ever existed but that's not because we're great but rather that all other clubs are c*nt.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Return of the European Super League???? on 12:49 - Dec 21 with 1346 viewsNorthernr

I've just seen that in amongst all this court ruling, the 'homegrown' rule has also been deemed illegal. Not sure if that's just at the top end or applies all the way down.
Return of the European Super League???? on 13:06 - Dec 21 with 1313 viewsnumptydumpty

Return of the European Super League???? on 10:41 - Dec 21 by ted_hendrix

Work on a building site Saturday morning.
Jump on the tube.
Pints In the White Horse.
Run down Loftus Road at 14.56.
Stand behind the goal and moan and slash on the floor.
Go 1-0 down.
Half time talk crap with Twenty other blokes who are talking crap and smoking enormous roll ups that keep bursting into flames.
Second half starts but your still talking crap with Twenty other blokes who are talking crap and smoking enormous roll ups that keep bursting into flames.
Go back and start watching the game and then we equalize and we all do the pogo and tell each other that we love each other.
Just as the game Is about to end we get a corner and lo and behold we only go and score from It so we do the pogo again and in the mayhem that follows I'm hugging a bloke who lives In Leighton Buzzard and some bus conductor bloke from Walthamstow.
The fat referee blows his whistle to restart the game and then promptly blows It again to end the game.
We all walk out of the ground and walk up Loftus Road with our hands In our pockets and daydream.

There's a lot of blokes talking crap in there,Ted !!

Can't say I have heard anyone talking crap at Rangers Stadium.

Whatever next !!!! 😆

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Return of the European Super League???? on 13:36 - Dec 21 with 1260 viewsqprninja

Return of the European Super League???? on 10:25 - Dec 21 by Konk

There seems to be a weird thing here in Bristol, where loads of people support/watch City/Rovers, but also have a Premier League club. Not sure if people in say, Plymouth, Lincoln, Preston etc are the same. But I reckon our game is plenty strong enough that if the biggest clubs broke away, people would still watch their local club, but maybe have a ESL team too.

Personally, I have zero interest in CL football, and other than the odd final, have probably watched about four CL games in the last ten years. No idea who the coach is at Barcelona, PSG, Juve, Milan, Inter etc. Fuc k 'em all.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 10:31]

I can confirm that half of Plymouth also supports Liverpool.
Return of the European Super League???? on 13:48 - Dec 21 with 1228 viewsR_from_afar

Return of the European Super League???? on 10:50 - Dec 21 by Konk

From the Guardian:

Real Madrid’s president, Florentino Pérez, said after the ruling: “Today will mark a before and after; it is a great day for the history of football and the history of sport.” Pérez said clubs could now be “the masters of their destiny” and the Super League would give football “the new impetus it so badly needs”.

Yeah, cos football is dying on its ar se, and is less visible than badminton these days...

What he meant to say was: 'Today will mark a before and after; it is a great day for the history of football and the history of sport.” Pérez said clubs could now be “the masters of their destiny” and the Super League would give the richest clubs “the extra money that we so badly need because we've been paying every cu nt €500,000 a week for the past 20 years”.

As of now, only Real Madrid and Barcelona are actively interested in an ESL (see below for an extract from a BBC article), so the court's ruling is just marvellous news for them and their fans*.

Finally, *finally,* those two great teams will be able to play each other. What a spectacle that will be. Oh, hang on

"The collapse of the original ESL came when nine of the 12 clubs who signed up to the project stepped back in 2021 with Juventus also withdrawing their interest earlier this year.

Spanish clubs Real Madrid and Barcelona have stuck to the general principles of having a new European competition and after plans for a revamped ESL were announced Barca president Javier Tebas said "the time has come for clubs to have greater control over their destiny".

* The court ruling may rekindle other clubs' interest, so maybe the ESL will also enable us to watch Arsenal v Spurs and Liverpool v ManUre

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Return of the European Super League???? on 13:51 - Dec 21 with 1223 viewsDannyPaddox

Return of the European Super League???? on 11:01 - Dec 21 by dmm

It's probably not long before we see big clubs' B teams in league and cup competitions.

I’m sure this is an astute and sardonic observation from yourself Señor Dmm but for me it would be the last straw. If B teams started playing in the Domestic League and major cups (whilst their first XI’s were competing in a European Pooper-Scooper League) and QPR went along with this I send a letter to the relevant person at QPR saying “sorry, no more money from me, cancelling season-ticket - thanks for the memories, give my love to Jude”

From there on in I’d get my football-fix going to non-League.
Return of the European Super League???? on 14:11 - Dec 21 with 1174 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If you live in the UK and want to watch all Premier League games on Sky, BT Sports etc. it would cost you over £1000 per year.

Obviously we don't want the Super League, but don't forget we're also getting mugged off right now.

Via Twitter 👆
Return of the European Super League???? on 14:14 - Dec 21 with 1164 viewsloftupper

Return of the European Super League???? on 11:14 - Dec 21 by Hayesender

Will there be a place at the top table for Newcastle I wonder 🤔

And what about Leeds? The Champions of Europe!
Return of the European Super League???? on 14:26 - Dec 21 with 1123 viewsdmm

Return of the European Super League???? on 13:51 - Dec 21 by DannyPaddox

I’m sure this is an astute and sardonic observation from yourself Señor Dmm but for me it would be the last straw. If B teams started playing in the Domestic League and major cups (whilst their first XI’s were competing in a European Pooper-Scooper League) and QPR went along with this I send a letter to the relevant person at QPR saying “sorry, no more money from me, cancelling season-ticket - thanks for the memories, give my love to Jude”

From there on in I’d get my football-fix going to non-League.

I get that Herr Paddox. Still, it's not a bad journey to Hayes Lane, is it?
Return of the European Super League???? on 15:51 - Dec 21 with 989 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Been discussing this at work with a West Ham fan and a Chalsea muppet.
The West Ham is like me, not bothered if it happens, fingers crossed they bugger off. The Chelsea muppet however, is seriously unhappy and worried.

Personally, if it happens, it could be the best thing for domestic football.
Return of the European Super League???? on 16:00 - Dec 21 with 967 viewsdenhamhoop2

Return of the European Super League???? on 12:38 - Dec 21 by Northernr

Maybe they'd like to take VAR with them when they fck off?

Rather than have VAR let the "Supporters at home" make the decisions so they are a part of the action
Return of the European Super League???? on 16:07 - Dec 21 with 956 viewsdenhamhoop2

Well I hope it happens but only if the "selected" clubs f*** off from the Domestic Leagues as Nature abhors a vacuum and I have confidence that Villa Wolves Everton and West Ham would replace those who have left. Let them all go off and play no one but each other in a No Relegation endless round of David v David week in week out
Return of the European Super League???? on 16:34 - Dec 21 with 929 viewsEsox_Lucius

Return of the European Super League???? on 10:46 - Dec 21 by slmrstid

The most annoying thing with all this is the big clubs who wanted the European Super League want to stay in their domestic competitions as well as this monstrosity.

So they want the Super League, but want to stay in the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup etc too.

That should be a no-no - they want all of the reward and none of the risk - it should be one or the other and make your bed and lie in it.

Alter the EPL to include a clause that teams must commit to playing games on the dates arranged at the start of the season or forfeit their place in the EPL*. Even if it means working with Sky for televised dates.
Any potential clash with super league means the EPL must take priority or you're out.
*I believe there is an existing requirement to filed your strongest team or face sanctions which would rule out buying two teams for a season.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 16:38]

The grass is always greener.

Return of the European Super League???? on 16:49 - Dec 21 with 902 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Man United issue lukewarm response. A fan told me that the rumour is that the Glazers turned down some huge offers for the club because of the anticipation of joining the super league.

“Our position has not changed. We remain fully committed to participation in UEFA competitions, and to positive cooperation with UEFA, the Premier League, and fellow clubs through the ECA on the continued development of the European game.”

https://www.cityam.com/european-super-league-premier-league-manchester-united-an
Return of the European Super League???? on 17:27 - Dec 21 with 832 viewsLongsufferingR

Return of the European Super League???? on 16:49 - Dec 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

Man United issue lukewarm response. A fan told me that the rumour is that the Glazers turned down some huge offers for the club because of the anticipation of joining the super league.

“Our position has not changed. We remain fully committed to participation in UEFA competitions, and to positive cooperation with UEFA, the Premier League, and fellow clubs through the ECA on the continued development of the European game.”

https://www.cityam.com/european-super-league-premier-league-manchester-united-an

Shouldn't that read: "We remain fully committed to participation in the first round of UEFA competitions"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024