Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eze for England! 11:34 - May 21 with 44262 viewswortonr

According to the BBC he’s in! Excellent for us but how much do we get if he starts? ( which surely will happen in a pre tournament game)
Eze for England! on 09:09 - Jun 4 with 2757 viewsTheChef

Eze for England! on 08:51 - Jun 4 by switchingcode

Eze was by far the best player on the field dispite coming off early.Hopefully Southgate had seen enough to convince him he’s in the final squad.Obviously not a starter but as the tournament goes on he could be the ace up our sleeve as he was the only player who actually took players on.Think Watkins could still get the nod although not great last night he didn’t get much support and expect Toney will also go even though he finished the season in poor form.

He'll take both Watkins and Toney - can't really go into a tournament with just two forwards.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Eze for England! on 09:18 - Jun 4 with 2701 viewsToast_R

Southgate gave Eze and good praising in the post match interviews which, I get a feeling is his way of sweetening him up before he drops him for the tournament.

Personally, I think Eze is genuinely much better and far more exciting than Bowen and Maddison, but Southgate's gonna Southgate.

I thought Grealish did well so he's in.
[Post edited 4 Jun 9:20]
Eze for England! on 09:21 - Jun 4 with 2673 viewsTheChef

Eze for England! on 09:18 - Jun 4 by Toast_R

Southgate gave Eze and good praising in the post match interviews which, I get a feeling is his way of sweetening him up before he drops him for the tournament.

Personally, I think Eze is genuinely much better and far more exciting than Bowen and Maddison, but Southgate's gonna Southgate.

I thought Grealish did well so he's in.
[Post edited 4 Jun 9:20]

Hmmm yeah "caught the eye" etc. but will end up leaving him behind

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Eze for England! on 09:25 - Jun 4 with 2650 viewsBAWHoops

Reckon Eze is in after that.

Feel the 7 to miss out will be

Trafford - Obvious
Quansah - Too soon for him and Gomez/Konsa more versatile
Branthwaite - As above
Dunk - Not as versatile as Gomez/Konsa
Jones - Won't take both him and Wharton
Maddison - One attacking midfielder needs to miss out and he's in worst form
Watkins - He's played 12 times for England now and never impresses. Doesn't fit the style

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Eze for England! on 09:26 - Jun 4 with 2637 viewsfrancisbowles

Eze did all his good work against a tight and rugged defence, determined to do everything they could to keep it at 0-0.

It was different for Grealish when he came on, they had just conceded. The game immediately opened up and became considerably easier. They lost a bit of their tactical discipline, with the numerous substitutions and trying to recover the deficit.

Palmer woke up a bit after half time but was extremely fortunate with his scuffed penalty, which the keeper should really have kept out. I think he looked tired after an initial season as a regular first team starter.

Eze really has something different to any other player in the squad and should go just for that. Where he struggles a bit is defensively. Grealish has the greater experience and is more likely to give better chasing back and cover since joining City.

However, whichever one goes is unlikely to start, so as an impact attacker off the bench, is that as important as having the ability to open up a massed defence?
Eze for England! on 09:53 - Jun 4 with 2503 viewsAntti_Heinola

Eze for England! on 09:26 - Jun 4 by francisbowles

Eze did all his good work against a tight and rugged defence, determined to do everything they could to keep it at 0-0.

It was different for Grealish when he came on, they had just conceded. The game immediately opened up and became considerably easier. They lost a bit of their tactical discipline, with the numerous substitutions and trying to recover the deficit.

Palmer woke up a bit after half time but was extremely fortunate with his scuffed penalty, which the keeper should really have kept out. I think he looked tired after an initial season as a regular first team starter.

Eze really has something different to any other player in the squad and should go just for that. Where he struggles a bit is defensively. Grealish has the greater experience and is more likely to give better chasing back and cover since joining City.

However, whichever one goes is unlikely to start, so as an impact attacker off the bench, is that as important as having the ability to open up a massed defence?

Palmer's penalty was beautifully struck, that's why the keeper couldn't keep it out. Not sure how on earth that was scuffed?

Agree with the rest though. I'd be shocked if Eze doesn't go.

Bare bones.

Eze for England! on 10:28 - Jun 4 with 2365 viewsderbyhoop

I thought Eze was excellent first half. His ability to glide past defenders offers something different. May be between Ebs and Grealish.

They'll only take 3 keepers. LB is a problem when Shaw isn't fit. He isn't.
7 to miss out
Trafford, Guehi, Braithwaite, Maddison, Gordon, Grealish, Toney.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Eze for England! on 10:33 - Jun 4 with 2317 viewshubble

Southgate on Eze last night:

"Eze played with that freedom and swagger that he plays for his club with. It's great to see a young player come into our environment and be able to do that.

"You saw that ability to glide past people in the middle of the pitch and the power he has as well."

For his sake, for our sake, for England's sake, I hope he makes the cut!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Login to get fewer ads

Eze for England! on 10:37 - Jun 4 with 2272 viewsClive_Anderson

Eze for England! on 09:25 - Jun 4 by BAWHoops

Reckon Eze is in after that.

Feel the 7 to miss out will be

Trafford - Obvious
Quansah - Too soon for him and Gomez/Konsa more versatile
Branthwaite - As above
Dunk - Not as versatile as Gomez/Konsa
Jones - Won't take both him and Wharton
Maddison - One attacking midfielder needs to miss out and he's in worst form
Watkins - He's played 12 times for England now and never impresses. Doesn't fit the style

Am I the only one who doesn't know who half these players are?

Never thought I'd be saying that, I knew pretty much all of the players in the England team before I was even born.
Eze for England! on 10:45 - Jun 4 with 2219 viewsGaryBannister86

Eze for England! on 10:37 - Jun 4 by Clive_Anderson

Am I the only one who doesn't know who half these players are?

Never thought I'd be saying that, I knew pretty much all of the players in the England team before I was even born.

Nope - I've never heard of Quansah or Trafford, let alone know who they play for.

Whereas back in my youth I would have had their Panini sticker in my album, known their club, favourite colour and what they would do if they were invisible for a day.
[Post edited 4 Jun 10:45]
Eze for England! on 10:47 - Jun 4 with 2202 viewsAntti_Heinola

Eze for England! on 10:33 - Jun 4 by hubble

Southgate on Eze last night:

"Eze played with that freedom and swagger that he plays for his club with. It's great to see a young player come into our environment and be able to do that.

"You saw that ability to glide past people in the middle of the pitch and the power he has as well."

For his sake, for our sake, for England's sake, I hope he makes the cut!

As I've said, I think he'll go and I think he should go, but as usual when it gets to tournaments people will go mad over these final picks, when really, especially with a ludicrous squad of 26 now, most of the last few picks are irrelevant. Eze likely won't play if he goes, same with the likes of Bowen or Dunk. They're just bodies. More important is picking the ones that won't be a pain in the ass and disruptive if they're not playing.
The eleven is pretty set if everyone is fit:

Pickford
Walker, Stones, Maguire (sadly), Shaw
Rice, Bellingham, SPACE UP FOR GRABS
Saka, Kane, Foden

So there's your 11.
Your realistic back-ups to that are:
Defence: Trippier, Guehi
Midfield: Depending on who gets that spare space, Mainoo, TAA, Gallagher
Attack: Palmer, Toney, Watkins

Anyone else will seriously struggle to get much game time.

Bare bones.

Eze for England! on 10:48 - Jun 4 with 2189 viewsMedwayR

Eze couldn't have done any more last night, he has to be on the plane.

That was TAA best game in CM in my opinion, but was still only ok. He's much better out wide.

With our lack of LB options, the only solution I can see is 3 at the back, which would allow us to play to our strengths with all our attacking midfielders. A 3-4-3 (more of a 3-2-4-1 or even a 3-3-3-1) with Rice, Bellingham, Mainoo and Gallagher/Wharton in CM. Gordon, TAA, Bowen, Trippier wide options. Foden, Saka, Palmer & Eze in the 10/support striker role. With the 3 additional places in the squad we could still take Maddison and Grealish plus an extra CF.
[Post edited 4 Jun 10:57]

Poll: Who’s better?

Eze for England! on 11:24 - Jun 4 with 1983 viewsdannyblue

Eze for England! on 10:48 - Jun 4 by MedwayR

Eze couldn't have done any more last night, he has to be on the plane.

That was TAA best game in CM in my opinion, but was still only ok. He's much better out wide.

With our lack of LB options, the only solution I can see is 3 at the back, which would allow us to play to our strengths with all our attacking midfielders. A 3-4-3 (more of a 3-2-4-1 or even a 3-3-3-1) with Rice, Bellingham, Mainoo and Gallagher/Wharton in CM. Gordon, TAA, Bowen, Trippier wide options. Foden, Saka, Palmer & Eze in the 10/support striker role. With the 3 additional places in the squad we could still take Maddison and Grealish plus an extra CF.
[Post edited 4 Jun 10:57]

Oh go on then. My guess is he'll go with:

First team:
Pickford
Walker Maguire Stones Trippier
Rice Mainoo
Saka Bellingham Foden
Kane

Backup Team:
Ramsdale
Konsa Guehi Gomez Shaw
Wharton TAA
Palmer Eze Grealish
Watkins

Spares:
Trafford and (in order of likelihood) three from Dunk, Gallagher, Gordon, Bowen, Toney, Maddison
Eze for England! on 11:29 - Jun 4 with 1949 viewsnix

Eze for England! on 08:47 - Jun 4 by numptydumpty

Yes why was Toney not coming on for Watkins

Kane coming on in this warm up bit ridiculous. Appreciate he needs some minutes but Toney needs a run out otherwise why is there ?

Southgate needs a look at Toney. Is he injured ??

That's what drives me mad. If you've picked Toney for the squad give him a chance of a few minutes at least in a friendly rather than bringing on your most capped striker.

As for Grealish yes he looked good but it was an entirely different phase of the match when their high press was fading and there was far more space. Eze had to play against two or sometimes three players who were fouling him every time he had the ball, and sometimes multiple times, and playing a low block. It's a bit like when we bring Sincs and Smyth on at the end of games when the defence is flagging.
Eze for England! on 11:29 - Jun 4 with 1944 viewsfrancisbowles

Eze for England! on 09:53 - Jun 4 by Antti_Heinola

Palmer's penalty was beautifully struck, that's why the keeper couldn't keep it out. Not sure how on earth that was scuffed?

Agree with the rest though. I'd be shocked if Eze doesn't go.

His supporting foot seemed to slip as he took it, the keeper was down well and I think it went in off his hand. He looked nervous before it and relieved in his fairly muted celebration.
Eze for England! on 11:43 - Jun 4 with 1866 viewsAntti_Heinola

Eze for England! on 11:29 - Jun 4 by francisbowles

His supporting foot seemed to slip as he took it, the keeper was down well and I think it went in off his hand. He looked nervous before it and relieved in his fairly muted celebration.

i mean, that's how he always celebrates. and it was a friendly match.
he might have slipped slightly and the keeper did get his hand to it, but that was my point - it was too hard, low and accurate for it to be kept out. Certainly wasn't scuffed.

Bare bones.

Eze for England! on 11:52 - Jun 4 with 1805 viewskensalriser

I think I'd put money on Eze being in the squad after that. Showed the form he finished the season in. Think Grealish will be in too. They should both be in ahead of Maddison and Gordon.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Eze for England! on 12:16 - Jun 4 with 1681 viewsdaveB

Eze for England! on 11:29 - Jun 4 by nix

That's what drives me mad. If you've picked Toney for the squad give him a chance of a few minutes at least in a friendly rather than bringing on your most capped striker.

As for Grealish yes he looked good but it was an entirely different phase of the match when their high press was fading and there was far more space. Eze had to play against two or sometimes three players who were fouling him every time he had the ball, and sometimes multiple times, and playing a low block. It's a bit like when we bring Sincs and Smyth on at the end of games when the defence is flagging.

Kane hasn't played for a month so made sense to get him some minutes
Eze for England! on 12:18 - Jun 4 with 1668 viewsAntti_Heinola

Eze for England! on 12:16 - Jun 4 by daveB

Kane hasn't played for a month so made sense to get him some minutes

Also Toney will prob start later in the week.

Bare bones.

Eze for England! on 12:19 - Jun 4 with 1660 viewsdaveB

Eze for England! on 00:43 - Jun 4 by LazyFan

This ...

Eze can score goals out of nowhere, and if you are slack and leave him free in the last third, he will punish you badly. He also can race upfield for breakaways, whereas the very talented Grealish, who I have always rated, slows it down.

But remember, this is Southgate, the manager who picked Mason Mount ahead of Foden, Bellingham, Grealish, Saka, Rashford, Maddison, Cole and Eze. Mount!
Mount who cannot even get in the Manure team!

In Southgash we do not trust.

When has he picked Mount over Foden? Mount hasn't been in the squad since the world cup.

The last Euros they both started the tournament and then Saka replaced Foden
Eze for England! on 12:22 - Jun 4 with 1643 viewsQPROslo

Eze for England! on 08:30 - Jun 4 by sdm1508

It's typical Southgate. Plays the same players all the time. Kane in stupid friendlies. Everyone know what he offers. Try some other options. If Kane got injured first game, then know other player has those important international minutes. Same with Pickford. Play someone else, see how they handle it. Pickford is steady for England. For every good save he makes, there is a mistake around the corner too

I think some established regulars like Kane need game time minutes.
Eze for England! on 12:34 - Jun 4 with 1575 viewsPhilmyRs

Eze for England! on 11:52 - Jun 4 by kensalriser

I think I'd put money on Eze being in the squad after that. Showed the form he finished the season in. Think Grealish will be in too. They should both be in ahead of Maddison and Gordon.

If you were thinking of areas where we’re perhaps a little light - ignoring the defence - pace is probably one of them. With no Rashford and Sterling (both correct calls) we don’t have any “express pace”. I think that’s why Gordon will make it - he’s different in that he’s lightning fast and offers a different option. Palmer, Saka, Foden and Bowen for the right side and Eze, Grealish, Maddison and Gordon for the left. Clearly Foden covers multiple positions so means you can have less cover on the left for example but reckon he’ll look to have 3 right side options and 2 left (Grealish and Gordon) and the right Saka, Foden and Palmer.
Eze for England! on 12:36 - Jun 4 with 1553 viewsRBlock

Eze for England! on 12:18 - Jun 4 by Antti_Heinola

Also Toney will prob start later in the week.

Southgate has already said Kane is starting on Friday. Toney off the bench?
Eze for England! on 12:38 - Jun 4 with 1540 viewsnumptydumpty

Eze for England! on 12:22 - Jun 4 by QPROslo

I think some established regulars like Kane need game time minutes.

Agree but Toney requires minutes too, to see he is ready and good enough.

He could have brought on Toney as well but he didn't.

Madness !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Eze for England! on 13:00 - Jun 4 with 1441 viewsAntti_Heinola

Eze for England! on 12:38 - Jun 4 by numptydumpty

Agree but Toney requires minutes too, to see he is ready and good enough.

He could have brought on Toney as well but he didn't.

Madness !!!

maybe he already decided Toney won't be making it.
On form, he shouldn't have even been in the 33. Very, very unfair on Solanke.

Bare bones.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024