Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
20th June...? 07:19 - Jun 1 with 11073 viewsDorse

According to the BBC, that's when we might see the Championship return.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52834579

Might be nice.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

20th June...? on 13:16 - Jun 1 with 2242 viewsBrianMcCarthy

20th June is far too early. We're talking about players' careers here and rushing them back will mean injuries.

By comparison, our GAA teams in Ireland have been promised a pre-season of six weeks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

20th June...? on 13:38 - Jun 1 with 2172 viewsAntti_Heinola

20th June...? on 13:15 - Jun 1 by loftus77

Yes - I take Hoos's point, but have we been a tad too strident in our language on this? Maybe best to carefully co-ordinate our response with other Championship clubs (I note 'Boro are on board). We don't want to be a lone dissenting voice on this.

he says most clubs are in agreement.

Bare bones.

20th June...? on 13:48 - Jun 1 with 2136 viewsPinnerPaul

20th June...? on 07:59 - Jun 1 by davman

Hoos not happy...

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/hoos-we-vehemently-oppose-scheduled-return-

... surely, in these unprecedented times, three weeks is enough?
If not, is 4, 5, 6??

It'll be the same for everyone. If football HAS to return (not yet convinced that is the case quite yet), then they've got to get on with it haven't they?

Thoughts?

Yep with you on this one as with all the other 'easing' that people moan about.

Same question as you to those opposed to this and other easing measures - if not now and how - how and when?
20th June...? on 13:51 - Jun 1 with 2123 viewsPinnerPaul

20th June...? on 08:07 - Jun 1 by enfieldargh

Its always been said by them wot know that players get injuries if they havnt got up to match play speed.

Its not unusual for several players not to make it through pre-season without picking up injuries.

Guess this is the main issue plus logistics for away games

3 weeks is enough to organise transport for an away game!

Also EFL considering 5 subs from a squad of 20 to help with injury 'fears'

Also worth noting that as Clive as pointed out many times - 'fatigue', 'lack of preparation' and 'too many games in a short space of time' never seems to apply to lucrative pre season games.
20th June...? on 13:55 - Jun 1 with 2110 viewsPinnerPaul

20th June...? on 09:28 - Jun 1 by daveB

a real disgrace that clubs were not consulted with this, what a mess

Problem is Dave - consult and get 45 for and 25 against or whatever - then what?

Not a dig but in general I'm getting weary of EVERY Covid related decision getting criticised - just seems to be that's all there is in the media and on social media.

As I said above, easy to criticise but credible alternatives/timesacles always a bit thin on the ground.

Again stress that not related to you and this subject only!
20th June...? on 13:58 - Jun 1 with 2097 viewsPinnerPaul

20th June...? on 09:41 - Jun 1 by Northernr

I'm really torn on this. Had a bash at writing the Barnsley preview intro sitting in the sun yesterday and it just felt too negative in tone, but at the same time I cannot get excited about football behind closed doors and feel that if you took television and money out of the equation there's no way it would be coming back this soon, or coming back at all until crowds can go in again.

I can perhaps see why you need to just suck it up and get these nine games done get the season completed and tie up those loose ends to prevent a logistical nightmare, but beyond that I don't think another season should be started without crowds. Who's it for? Sky Sports. Nobody else.

Yep that's pretty much where I am - can't get excited about football at the moment, but if we don't start now then when/how?

Would love a bit of refereeing, where lack of crowds at my level would be no problem at all though!

My main issue as above is that I'm pig sick of 'Noooooooooooooooooo for too soooooooooooon' after EVERY change - in whatever part of our lives.
20th June...? on 14:00 - Jun 1 with 2092 viewsWestbourneR

20th June...? on 09:41 - Jun 1 by Northernr

I'm really torn on this. Had a bash at writing the Barnsley preview intro sitting in the sun yesterday and it just felt too negative in tone, but at the same time I cannot get excited about football behind closed doors and feel that if you took television and money out of the equation there's no way it would be coming back this soon, or coming back at all until crowds can go in again.

I can perhaps see why you need to just suck it up and get these nine games done get the season completed and tie up those loose ends to prevent a logistical nightmare, but beyond that I don't think another season should be started without crowds. Who's it for? Sky Sports. Nobody else.

If you took television money out of the equation we'd be watching a much lower grade of football.

It's not an ideal, cleary we're in an unprecedented pandemic, so the solution will be far from ideal.

Yes it's s**t but what do people expect? Let's just make the best of it.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

20th June...? on 14:10 - Jun 1 with 2043 viewsdaveB

20th June...? on 13:55 - Jun 1 by PinnerPaul

Problem is Dave - consult and get 45 for and 25 against or whatever - then what?

Not a dig but in general I'm getting weary of EVERY Covid related decision getting criticised - just seems to be that's all there is in the media and on social media.

As I said above, easy to criticise but credible alternatives/timesacles always a bit thin on the ground.

Well if you don't get the votes needed to pass then the season is ended now, thats what they had agreed to but that seems to have gone out of the window.

It seems mad to me that we are not even at a place yet where they can do contact training yet they will be playing games in 2 and a half weeks. Warburton mentioned they had agreed a date of the 27th so why has that got to come forward?
Login to get fewer ads

20th June...? on 14:12 - Jun 1 with 2036 viewsdaveB

20th June...? on 13:58 - Jun 1 by PinnerPaul

Yep that's pretty much where I am - can't get excited about football at the moment, but if we don't start now then when/how?

Would love a bit of refereeing, where lack of crowds at my level would be no problem at all though!

My main issue as above is that I'm pig sick of 'Noooooooooooooooooo for too soooooooooooon' after EVERY change - in whatever part of our lives.

reason for that might be that we are still having 3/400 die every day of the virus and number of new infections is till in the thousands so hopefully all the changes are fine and won't affect this but it does all feel too soon
20th June...? on 14:18 - Jun 1 with 2023 viewsLblock

So let me get this right?

We're concerned players might lack fitness?????

Now I appreciate match sharpness and all that but for the love of God what have these blokes been doing on a daily basis to justify picking up grands a week?
Obviously some have been flying in their favourite French barber, travelling t sex parties in Paris, having select gatherings with call girls etc but is there anything else for them to do BUT actually keep fit on their own???

Three weeks more than enough time to get logistics sorted. We've had to react to the Goverments ever changing advice proceedures to get building sites open, logisitics changing on a daily bl00dy basis! We've lost thousands of pounds but we're now out there working in very different ways just to keep cashflow and justify our jobs as "we cannot work from home"....... I just don't think Danny Rose and his fellow pro's can keep arguing that it's not safe and pick up their crust. Players need to get back amongst it, most will be getting better testing and care than those poor souls on the NHS frontline FFS.

Get on with it..... carefully!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

20th June...? on 14:20 - Jun 1 with 2017 viewsrsonist

20th June...? on 14:18 - Jun 1 by Lblock

Now I appreciate match sharpness and all that but for the love of God what have these blokes been doing on a daily basis to justify picking up grands a week?
Obviously some have been flying in their favourite French barber, travelling t sex parties in Paris, having select gatherings with call girls etc but is there anything else for them to do BUT actually keep fit on their own???

Three weeks more than enough time to get logistics sorted. We've had to react to the Goverments ever changing advice proceedures to get building sites open, logisitics changing on a daily bl00dy basis! We've lost thousands of pounds but we're now out there working in very different ways just to keep cashflow and justify our jobs as "we cannot work from home"....... I just don't think Danny Rose and his fellow pro's can keep arguing that it's not safe and pick up their crust. Players need to get back amongst it, most will be getting better testing and care than those poor souls on the NHS frontline FFS.

The last word of your post contradicts the rest.
20th June...? on 14:21 - Jun 1 with 2005 viewsAntti_Heinola

20th June...? on 13:55 - Jun 1 by PinnerPaul

the PL got agreement from all teams before announcing, Paul. It's not that hard.
I suspect all Warbs/Hoos and other clubs are asking for is a couple of extra weeks.
Your argument about 'if not now when' is facile in the extreme, like a child asking when we'll get there. Why not next week then by your logic?
It's p!ss poor from the EFL, as usual.

Bare bones.

20th June...? on 14:26 - Jun 1 with 1979 viewsrsonist

20th June...? on 11:00 - Jun 1 by traininvain

Sorry Clive but I’m for it! I’ve watched a few of the Bundesliga games behind closed doors and it certainly feels odd but I’m getting used to it.

To be honest, I forgot about the lack of atmosphere during the Dortmund vs Bayern game as the quality and intensity was a step up. I think it’ll take a few weeks from the restart before we see the same over here.

More importantly, we need to get back to something approaching normal life and having football back on the tv (albeit behind closed doors) will play a major part for many people.

It’s going to be a gradual process and many people will be afraid to go back to normal life so football can help by not only giving us entertainment and something to talk about (aside from the bloody virus!) but also show people that it’s generally safe to be outside. This will help pubs, restaurants etc when they reopen.

If it’s safe to introduce a limited number of supporters at some stage this year then great but that decision should be guided by science.

The last three words of your post contradict the rest.
20th June...? on 14:54 - Jun 1 with 1922 viewsstevec

20th June...? on 07:59 - Jun 1 by davman

Hoos not happy...

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/hoos-we-vehemently-oppose-scheduled-return-

... surely, in these unprecedented times, three weeks is enough?
If not, is 4, 5, 6??

It'll be the same for everyone. If football HAS to return (not yet convinced that is the case quite yet), then they've got to get on with it haven't they?

Thoughts?

Let’s hope their vocal negative attitude doesn’t seep through to the players.
20th June...? on 15:11 - Jun 1 with 1880 viewsA40Bosh

I think the argument is not about general fitness which can be maintained individually and monitored, but I guess their beef is around the stresses and toll on the body (and probably mentally too) of 90mins of competitive football. I can't imagine you can replace that with Grant Hall running around his back garden for an hour and a half, slide tackling the begonias and then marking an oak tree whilst his Mrs slings in a corner to the back post.

The argument about lucrative preseason friendlies isn't the same as they are usually unlimited subs and often changing whole teams at half time. So I do get that after resumption of full contact training and then practice matches they must think that 3 weeks is not sufficient time to get players "match fit" without risking injuries.

Saying that, they have to look at the success and any learning from the German league which is ahead of us. If they were back playing within the same time frame as the EFL expects us to be, then it proves that it can be done and I think most people agree the sooner we get it finished the sooner they can start planning for the 20/21 season.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

20th June...? on 15:12 - Jun 1 with 1870 viewswelwynranger

Exactly. If I am called back to work I would have to go. I cant say that I am not ready yet . That's the way it is it's a job they are doing same as the rest of us. And they have to get on with it.
20th June...? on 15:19 - Jun 1 with 1849 viewskensalriser

Grant Hall's missus slinging one in at the back you say?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

20th June...? on 15:51 - Jun 1 with 1790 viewstraininvain

20th June...? on 14:20 - Jun 1 by rsonist

The last word of your post contradicts the rest.

My understanding (and I’m no expert) is that gatherings outside with limited numbers are generally considered ok. Most infections occur indoors etc. And footballers regularly tested for Covid to further minimise the risk.

So behind closed doors football seems to be relatively safe whereas allowing supporters to attend games is not so safe. Unless you’ve seen something to suggest otherwise?
20th June...? on 15:55 - Jun 1 with 1775 viewsCroydonCaptJack

20th June...? on 14:26 - Jun 1 by rsonist

The last three words of your post contradict the rest.

How so?
20th June...? on 17:08 - Jun 1 with 1601 viewsthemodfather

i would have been ok if leagues ended as was, voided even. the game with no fans is "no game" the german games may be skilful but there's no atmosphere, no home advantage and i can't watch a whole game. it's awful.
i wonder how much influence tv money has been?
are all clubs together on this? hoos says not.
20th June...? on 17:13 - Jun 1 with 1582 viewsstowmarketrange

20th June...? on 17:08 - Jun 1 by themodfather

i would have been ok if leagues ended as was, voided even. the game with no fans is "no game" the german games may be skilful but there's no atmosphere, no home advantage and i can't watch a whole game. it's awful.
i wonder how much influence tv money has been?
are all clubs together on this? hoos says not.

I can only really see the fans of the 2 clubs involved in the championship game watching it on the tv if it’s behind closed doors.A few rival fans might also tune in to see how the games are going but football without fans is rubbish.
20th June...? on 17:18 - Jun 1 with 1564 viewsHoopstar

Match fitness is just so different to keeping yourself physically fit I think - I have never played football at any level higher than Sunday league but generally keep myself relatively fit i.e regularly run half marathons, enjoy the gym etc. but if I haven't played intense footy in a while it's hard to get back into it. All the twisting and turning, endless short sprints (well for most players....) and being 'in the zone' is so hard to replicate by just keeping yourself fit.

Fully appreciate professional footballers are at a much higher level of fitness then me and are far better natural athletes but think the above still stands.

I am hoping Eze and BOS have kept themselves fit - they're going to waltz past some of these defenders even more easily when this does start again if so. Our lack of another real striker is going to be an issue though as think Hugill (if we can extend his loan?) isn't going to make it through many games!
20th June...? on 17:43 - Jun 1 with 1526 viewsthame_hoops

I agree with this. the clubs will have been in constant contact/zoom etc with players offering fitness tuition, meal plans, checking stats on worksouts etc (i can do this using an apple watch for heavens sake) so three weeks is plenty of notice, its the same for every club remember.
20th June...? on 17:48 - Jun 1 with 1512 viewsrsonist

20th June...? on 15:55 - Jun 1 by CroydonCaptJack

How so?

I don't recall Sage advising on the pressing need for football to "give us something to talk about but also show people that it’s generally safe to be outside".
20th June...? on 17:55 - Jun 1 with 1487 viewsStanisgod

20th June...? on 15:11 - Jun 1 by A40Bosh

I think the argument is not about general fitness which can be maintained individually and monitored, but I guess their beef is around the stresses and toll on the body (and probably mentally too) of 90mins of competitive football. I can't imagine you can replace that with Grant Hall running around his back garden for an hour and a half, slide tackling the begonias and then marking an oak tree whilst his Mrs slings in a corner to the back post.

The argument about lucrative preseason friendlies isn't the same as they are usually unlimited subs and often changing whole teams at half time. So I do get that after resumption of full contact training and then practice matches they must think that 3 weeks is not sufficient time to get players "match fit" without risking injuries.

Saying that, they have to look at the success and any learning from the German league which is ahead of us. If they were back playing within the same time frame as the EFL expects us to be, then it proves that it can be done and I think most people agree the sooner we get it finished the sooner they can start planning for the 20/21 season.

The oak tree would have scored.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 17:55]

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024