Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European super league 15:28 - Apr 18 with 52700 viewsqpr_1968

can anyone see it taking off.
talks of 6 clubs from the premier.
on sky news now.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

European super league on 11:31 - Apr 21 with 2088 viewsdanehoop

I mentioned previously the government had two immediate levers on this : work visas and taxation. They had implied they may look at the first one, but the real pressure was around the latter. They made clear very quickly that they would look to legislate rapidly on windfall taxes and given the state of government finances and the likely popularity of hitting the 6 clubs involved it would have been an easy win for them.

I think that threat to finances as much as populist backlash is what changed the calculations for these clubs. Easy enough to ride out what they knew was likely to be a short term media storm domestically if they went down this planned route because the financial and operational benefits more than outweighed PR issues. If the financial benefits are reduced though (and you can be sure some of the other countries involved would have been closely observing what we were doing) then it becomes a much less attractive proposal (at least for now).

Wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing a lot of financial re-engineering over the next year or so to see as much revenue as possible being further shielded from UK tax authorities.

Never knowingly understood

European super league on 11:42 - Apr 21 with 2045 viewsCamberleyR

The last time England's top six fell this quickly they were facing Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

European super league on 11:46 - Apr 21 with 2038 viewsslmrstid

I think there's a lot being missed about the input players have had in this saga (or at least English based players, not sure what any overseas ones have done).

A lot of high profile players, and manager in Guardiola's case, from those big 6 clubs have come out saying "We dont want this" and "This is wrong" which I think has had a huge impact in clubs making these u-turns.

Its been known for years players hold all the power in clubs and they've wielded that again. No point having a Super League if all your superstars dont want to be in it. Not going to be a very super league then...
European super league on 11:55 - Apr 21 with 2007 viewseastside_r

Score update from last night:

Not-so-Super 0 - 0 Brighton & Hove Albion
European super league on 12:05 - Apr 21 with 1974 viewsAshdown_Ranger

European super league on 11:55 - Apr 21 by eastside_r

Score update from last night:

Not-so-Super 0 - 0 Brighton & Hove Albion

In fairness to Chelsea, I think they were demonstrating their disgust at the whole setup of European football by trying to ensure they don't qualify for the Champions League next season.
European super league on 12:13 - Apr 21 with 1948 viewsSimplyNico

European super league on 11:42 - Apr 21 by CamberleyR

The last time England's top six fell this quickly they were facing Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath.

Top 5 and Spurs
European super league on 12:20 - Apr 21 with 1915 viewsJuzzie

European super league on 10:38 - Apr 21 by dmm

The culture secretary, Oliver Dowden, has said this morning: “The German clubs didn’t participate in this [Super League] proposal. One of the points that was made to me by fans when the prime minister and I met with them was the fact that there was that financial stake,” he told LBC radio.

“I think we should look at it,” he said. International investment in football has been a good thing. It has increased the quality of the game and the players and everything else … but I do think it is right that we look at how fans can have a stake in the game.”

A governance review into football was pledged in the Tory 2019 election manifesto but has never happened. I hope a football supporter's campaign group is formed to put pressure on the Government to get this done and not just use the ESL fiasco for it's own political purposes.

I'm getting a bit pi$$ed off that everything seems to have to work on the American way of doing things which, IMO, is a busted flush and is why they are all (at ordinary worker level) burnt out over there yet it gets pushed and pushed.... more, more, more... 3% or more year on year increase, more, more, more always more, like a swarm of locusts which then leave devastation behind them.

Why can't we do something for football like the German model? Is that so bad or will it have Sun readers frothing at the mouth claiming it's all a commie thing anyway.

Does my head in.
European super league on 12:27 - Apr 21 with 1889 viewsPhildo

Some fair old contortions going on with Liverpool fans trying to say an apology from John Henry makes everything alright and carry on as you were. Was told last night that with the US and Russia so tense at the moment Abramovich had visions of the club being taken off him if it went ahead
Login to get fewer ads

European super league on 12:48 - Apr 21 with 1831 viewsthemodfather

funny to see chelsea fans on other social media forums, trying to thank their club for withdrawing from this ESL!! ?? the football associations MUST take action against these clubs, at least a charge of "bringing the game into disrepute" and if any action is taken fining billionaire owners is pointless. now some could argus why punish the fans, well their clubs did this, at qpr we fans didn't spend millions trying to go up, our board did but any fines etc were felt by us. i still expect this sundays league cup final to be suspended.
European super league on 13:16 - Apr 21 with 1763 viewsAshdown_Ranger

This anonymous, bland, 'statement' of corporate gobbledeygook from Juventus just sums up the greed and total disregard/contempt for the game and for fans by the money-men pulling the strings behind the scenes at these clubs:

-------------------------------------------

"Relating to the proposed creation of the [European] Super League, and the ensuing public debate, the issuer clarifies to be aware of the request and intentions otherwise expressed by certain clubs to withdraw from this project, although the necessary procedures envisaged by the agreement among the clubs have not been completed.

"In this context, while Juventus remains convinced of the soundness of the project’s sport, commercial and legal premises, it believes that at present there are limited chances that the project be completed in the form originally conceived.

"Juventus remains committed to pursuing the creation of long-term value for the company and the entire football industry."

-------------------------------------------

Makes me want to puke.
European super league on 14:30 - Apr 21 with 1667 viewsthemodfather

what if 86 club chairmen call an EGM to re-structure the leagues as an "invitational" only and if the need for 92 clubs is deemed ok, promote them from the national league.
the arrogance of a few, for a few £££££££££ was shocking, what did they expect, church bells, parades and cheers??
imagine that hey, 86 stand together for the good of the game. we wanted fair play not to let the powerful teams get untouchable. but to try and allow some level playing field and a competitive league(s).
European super league on 14:56 - Apr 21 with 1598 viewskensalriser

Well that was fun.

Isn't a bit liking announcing you've got an agreement to shag your best mate's wife and then backing down when your wife and best mate and all your kids create a storm of disapproval? You can't take back the intent.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 19:26]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

European super league on 15:39 - Apr 21 with 1514 viewsClive_Anderson

Was anyone else looking forward to the Qatar world cup with 90% of players banned from appearing by FIFA?
European super league on 16:04 - Apr 21 with 1454 viewsDWQPR

Haven't read through all of the pages on this thread so apologise if I am repeating somebody else. But having read the report in yesterday's FT it seems to me that one of the main drivers to create this farce was to help the big six better manage the debts that they have accumulated over the years. The initial payment for each club of £250million was in fact a loan from JPMorgan Bank which would be repaid at an amount of around £27million a year including interest of just above 3%. The term was 10 years.

If this is the case and I pray that it is then it shows that these greedy, self-serving clubs in their pursuit for glory and more money have totally overstretched themselves during the pandemic period, paying far too much for players and paying far too much in wages. With the last English broadcasting deal we were initially told that it would not see further inflation in the cost of players in terms of transfer fees or wages. Yeah right.

And little wonder that this wonderful project was the brainchild of Perez at Real Madrid. A club in the past that sold its training ground for the equivalent of £250million to the Spanish government just to bale it out of a deep hole they created for themselves when buying up the players that created the so called Galacticos. Barcelona it is now well documented that they are in the financial mire, and playing in a decrepit ground that they were looking to renovate. Interesting to see if that goes ahead now.

Let's hope that each club that has renaged on their agreement for the ESL will now either pay a penalty or be sued for breach of contract. As Gary Neville said last night, I hope they all eat themselves over this.

And I really do hope that the PL have the balls to go after each club, starting with a points deduction for the start of next season that replicates the points deduction that the EFL levied on Luton all those years ago, 30 points wasn't it? They should also all be placed under transfer embargos and shown to recognise that the PL along with the EFL and the rest of the various footballing leagues are a collective in which everyone has an equal voice. It doesn't matter if one club is more popular that another, has more fans, sells more merchandise, the fact is that the PL is not the PL without all 20 teams competing in it each season.

They played a game of poker with the rest of the footballing community, showed their hand upfront, blinked and lost badly. No more power to these six clubs. They need to be brought down to kneel.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

European super league on 16:11 - Apr 21 with 1436 viewsPinnerPaul

EFL statement - interesting. Addresses the point Clive made in his preview - the PL is part of the problem, not the solution!

https://www.efl.com/news/2021/april/efl-statement-european-super-league2/
European super league on 16:30 - Apr 21 with 1378 viewsqpr_1968

European super league on 14:56 - Apr 21 by kensalriser

Well that was fun.

Isn't a bit liking announcing you've got an agreement to shag your best mate's wife and then backing down when your wife and best mate and all your kids create a storm of disapproval? You can't take back the intent.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 19:26]

we were actually division 1 champions longer in 1976 than this debacle.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

European super league on 16:33 - Apr 21 with 1374 viewsdaveB

European super league on 11:46 - Apr 21 by slmrstid

I think there's a lot being missed about the input players have had in this saga (or at least English based players, not sure what any overseas ones have done).

A lot of high profile players, and manager in Guardiola's case, from those big 6 clubs have come out saying "We dont want this" and "This is wrong" which I think has had a huge impact in clubs making these u-turns.

Its been known for years players hold all the power in clubs and they've wielded that again. No point having a Super League if all your superstars dont want to be in it. Not going to be a very super league then...

Kevin De Bryune put out a strong statement against it as did Bellerin at Arsenal
European super league on 16:59 - Apr 21 with 1320 viewsKonk

European super league on 13:07 - Apr 19 by Konk

It might not ultimately make much of a difference, but this morning my representatives notified each of the breakaway clubs, that I have asked not to be considered for any management or playing roles with said clubs. Managing Real Madrid at this juncture would sit uncomfortably with me, in light of yesterday's developments.

I have no further comments to add for now. Thank you.

It will all come out in due course, but from conversations I've had within the game, it's no coincidence that the whole ESL project collapsed within 48 hours of me notifying the offending clubs that I was no longer prepared to either manage or play for them.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

European super league on 17:14 - Apr 21 with 1267 viewsstowmarketrange

Strange how the 6 chairmen only talk about how sorry they are after it’s all fallen through.Nobody was saying a word on Sunday night when it was first announced.
European super league on 17:26 - Apr 21 with 1239 viewsthemodfather

i would guess nearly every one of the "founding" 12 clubs are 100s of miilions/euro's in debt and need cash asap. real madrid are under written by the king of spain i believe and are somewhere like £1bn in debt. uefa should rule all clubs must clear debts within 10 yrs, see how that shakes up the apple cart.
these clubs have accountants, legal advisors and a directors boars, all of whom must have agreed the plan to form an "ESL". now none want the flak.
European super league on 17:31 - Apr 21 with 1217 viewsessextaxiboy

European super league on 16:04 - Apr 21 by DWQPR

Haven't read through all of the pages on this thread so apologise if I am repeating somebody else. But having read the report in yesterday's FT it seems to me that one of the main drivers to create this farce was to help the big six better manage the debts that they have accumulated over the years. The initial payment for each club of £250million was in fact a loan from JPMorgan Bank which would be repaid at an amount of around £27million a year including interest of just above 3%. The term was 10 years.

If this is the case and I pray that it is then it shows that these greedy, self-serving clubs in their pursuit for glory and more money have totally overstretched themselves during the pandemic period, paying far too much for players and paying far too much in wages. With the last English broadcasting deal we were initially told that it would not see further inflation in the cost of players in terms of transfer fees or wages. Yeah right.

And little wonder that this wonderful project was the brainchild of Perez at Real Madrid. A club in the past that sold its training ground for the equivalent of £250million to the Spanish government just to bale it out of a deep hole they created for themselves when buying up the players that created the so called Galacticos. Barcelona it is now well documented that they are in the financial mire, and playing in a decrepit ground that they were looking to renovate. Interesting to see if that goes ahead now.

Let's hope that each club that has renaged on their agreement for the ESL will now either pay a penalty or be sued for breach of contract. As Gary Neville said last night, I hope they all eat themselves over this.

And I really do hope that the PL have the balls to go after each club, starting with a points deduction for the start of next season that replicates the points deduction that the EFL levied on Luton all those years ago, 30 points wasn't it? They should also all be placed under transfer embargos and shown to recognise that the PL along with the EFL and the rest of the various footballing leagues are a collective in which everyone has an equal voice. It doesn't matter if one club is more popular that another, has more fans, sells more merchandise, the fact is that the PL is not the PL without all 20 teams competing in it each season.

They played a game of poker with the rest of the footballing community, showed their hand upfront, blinked and lost badly. No more power to these six clubs. They need to be brought down to kneel.

I understand your sentiment , but I dont think you can impose sanctions for just saying you intend to do something and resigning from positions held . They havnt actually done anything beyond statements of intent .
European super league on 17:32 - Apr 21 with 1216 viewsJuzzie

European super league on 17:14 - Apr 21 by stowmarketrange

Strange how the 6 chairmen only talk about how sorry they are after it’s all fallen through.Nobody was saying a word on Sunday night when it was first announced.

The usual bollox that people say when they've fuked up and can't apologise or admit fault......."we must learn from this". Learn? Learn? You fkin well knew what you were doing was iffy.

This doesn't just apply to the ESL debacle but just about anything in life when caught read handed.
European super league on 18:35 - Apr 21 with 1126 viewsqueensparker

All the English clubs have done is shown they didn’t have the bottle to follow through on their decision. The time to pull out was when the proposal was originally made, not now.

Shameful really
European super league on 18:46 - Apr 21 with 1105 viewsWatfordR

European super league on 12:13 - Apr 21 by SimplyNico

Top 5 and Spurs

Top 5 and night watchman
European super league on 18:50 - Apr 21 with 1095 viewsBasingstokeR

Seeing so much of "you can't punish these clubs in a way that the fans and players who didn't want this are punished" by talking heads on TV and on social media (most closely related to one of the 6)...

I wonder if the same people felt like this for smaller clubs doled out points deductions / bans etc. over the last however many decades.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024