Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lyndon Dykes 20:20 - Aug 6 with 76831 viewsNortholt_Rs

Credit where it’s due - I thought he had an excellent game today.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Lyndon Dykes on 20:24 - Aug 6 with 13600 viewsLanhoop

Agreed, worked his socks off second half chasing them down. Pleased for him, and everyone else too.
Lyndon Dykes on 20:29 - Aug 6 with 13533 viewseastside_r

Wouldn’t necessarily go as far as excellent but at least plus good for Newspeak fans.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 20:30]
Lyndon Dykes on 20:32 - Aug 6 with 13489 viewsqueensparker

Agreed - he’s always going to be a quite limited player in some ways but can’t complain with that effort, a goal and unlucky with two more, plus some brilliant tackling from the front to keep the pressure on them
Lyndon Dykes on 20:42 - Aug 6 with 13404 viewsBoston

He was worth his wages today, fair play from, and to the man.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Lyndon Dykes on 21:04 - Aug 6 with 13327 viewsDamo1962

Lyndon Dykes on 20:42 - Aug 6 by Boston

He was worth his wages today, fair play from, and to the man.

Yep - credit where it due alright.He hasn't convinced me yet, but if he puts in more performance's like today...then he will change my opinion. Same for Johansen.
Lyndon Dykes on 21:32 - Aug 6 with 13214 viewsessextaxiboy

First half was good , closing down , had the edge over his marker and won some headers , blistering shot on target to win the corner and a deft header for his goal.

Second half not so good IMO , ran out of gas earlier than both Willock and Amos , held the ball up just once and asleep for a loose ball which ended up in our net 30 secs later , ruled offside .

Not bad overall
Lyndon Dykes on 21:34 - Aug 6 with 13191 viewsNed_Kennedys

Dykes had a great game, won loads of headers and chased everything as well as scoring a nice goal.
The haters can have the weekend off.
Lyndon Dykes on 22:03 - Aug 6 with 13089 viewsted_hendrix

Well taken goal from a well directed free kick, stooping headers must be difficult to take I'd imagine you've got to time It almost to perfection.
Good work rate today but he's gotta keep that up for another 40 plus games, never been a fan of the bloke If I'm honest.
Nothing I'd like more than to be proved wrong.
Had humble pie before.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Lyndon Dykes on 22:07 - Aug 6 with 13049 viewsDavieQPR

Hope he has learnt his lesson that you have to work hard for what you've got.
Lyndon Dykes on 23:38 - Aug 6 with 12846 viewsbosh67

The thing with him is that he tends to isolate himself on occasion but I thought he read the game a lot better today and started to make a lot of space for Willock and Chair. He chased down and won everything thrown at him, plus he took his goal well.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Lyndon Dykes on 23:49 - Aug 6 with 12776 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 23:38 - Aug 6 by bosh67

The thing with him is that he tends to isolate himself on occasion but I thought he read the game a lot better today and started to make a lot of space for Willock and Chair. He chased down and won everything thrown at him, plus he took his goal well.

He doesn't isolate himself, he plays off the centre halves and the 10's should be running onto those flick-on's every match like Amos did today.
Lyndon Dykes on 09:01 - Aug 7 with 12509 viewswortonranger

In team of the day in the Football Paper. Given a 9 rating.
Lyndon Dykes on 09:50 - Aug 7 with 12364 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 21:32 - Aug 6 by essextaxiboy

First half was good , closing down , had the edge over his marker and won some headers , blistering shot on target to win the corner and a deft header for his goal.

Second half not so good IMO , ran out of gas earlier than both Willock and Amos , held the ball up just once and asleep for a loose ball which ended up in our net 30 secs later , ruled offside .

Not bad overall

Second half not so good, just might be down to us having no possession, Johanssen, Willock + Amos running out of gas, the latter two much earlier than Dykes (example being Dykes great late run for Adomah's cut back) who was left to run down the back 3 on his own after Beale clearly instructed Chair early in 2nd Half to sit in deeper against the RWB Jones.

Can't recall him failing to hold up ball once in the 2nd Half but one of his key attributes for the team was evident immediately when Bonne came on and challenged for his first Dieng clearance, Lenihan went straight thru Bonne who's a similar height to Dykes (maybe not as brave?) and headed the ball 40 yards and they were straight onto Kakay.

Dykes challenged for every header yesterday and those he didn't win he never let their Centre-Halves get a clean header on.

Yesterday showed what I think we all agree on, and Willock is a level above our other players and without him our Centre Forwards are starved of early quality ball.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:30 - Aug 7 with 12311 viewsJamieNaz

I thought he was good today.

Was getting loads of abuse around me in the second half for a perceived inability to simultaneously close down all three centre backs single handedly.

He did very well in the air I thought, won a lot of graders and really unsettled their defenders. I think there were a couple of occasions where our Willock played it to his feet rather than in behind and would have liked to see him given a run in behind against their defenders.
But, that was much improved from him today. Hopefully that will give him confidence.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:32 - Aug 7 with 12303 viewsessextaxiboy

Lyndon Dykes on 09:50 - Aug 7 by ParkRoyalR

Second half not so good, just might be down to us having no possession, Johanssen, Willock + Amos running out of gas, the latter two much earlier than Dykes (example being Dykes great late run for Adomah's cut back) who was left to run down the back 3 on his own after Beale clearly instructed Chair early in 2nd Half to sit in deeper against the RWB Jones.

Can't recall him failing to hold up ball once in the 2nd Half but one of his key attributes for the team was evident immediately when Bonne came on and challenged for his first Dieng clearance, Lenihan went straight thru Bonne who's a similar height to Dykes (maybe not as brave?) and headed the ball 40 yards and they were straight onto Kakay.

Dykes challenged for every header yesterday and those he didn't win he never let their Centre-Halves get a clean header on.

Yesterday showed what I think we all agree on, and Willock is a level above our other players and without him our Centre Forwards are starved of early quality ball.

We must be at crossed purposes , for me holding the ball up is receiving it back to goal, holding off your marker and laying off to advancing midfielders or wide to the wing backs thus allowing us as a team to get up the pitch . He did that once in the 2nd half to Ossie Kakay .

When I say run out of gas I mean that speed over 2 or 3 yards to challenge for a loose ball time and again (re the offside goal)

I stood up and applauded him off , but when I read that he "ran his socks off" and "challenged for every header " I feel that they should be a given . Dom Ball managed it in every time he was asked to play .

We can agree on your last words although I think we also all agree that Willock is going to sold , maybe sooner than we want , there is a poll on the board about an acceptable fee.

How will we get the best from Dykes if that happens ?
Lyndon Dykes on 10:37 - Aug 7 with 12289 viewsNortholt_Rs

Not bad overall

“Not bad”.. really?

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Lyndon Dykes on 11:46 - Aug 7 with 12104 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 10:32 - Aug 7 by essextaxiboy

We must be at crossed purposes , for me holding the ball up is receiving it back to goal, holding off your marker and laying off to advancing midfielders or wide to the wing backs thus allowing us as a team to get up the pitch . He did that once in the 2nd half to Ossie Kakay .

When I say run out of gas I mean that speed over 2 or 3 yards to challenge for a loose ball time and again (re the offside goal)

I stood up and applauded him off , but when I read that he "ran his socks off" and "challenged for every header " I feel that they should be a given . Dom Ball managed it in every time he was asked to play .

We can agree on your last words although I think we also all agree that Willock is going to sold , maybe sooner than we want , there is a poll on the board about an acceptable fee.

How will we get the best from Dykes if that happens ?

Loved Dom Ball but would give the ball away under no pressure far more than Dykes does under pressure and imo covered no where near as much ground as Dykes does,

Dykes is very good at leading the press but Beale tactics yesterday (with 10's staying wide + deep) meant it was a forlorn task in the 2nd Half as was asked to do on his own and his main task being to tie up 2 of their 3 Centre-Halves,

A lot of of our fans just don't see this, in the same way they thought Eze was lazy.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:51 - Aug 7 with 12122 viewsgobbles

Not bad overall

I thought he was awesome second half. Usually the only player upfield, he never stopped closing down the centrebacks, even though it was mostly a futile job, which killed time and disrupted their build-ups, as well as hauling himself up and down field for every set-piece on a really hot day.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:15 - Aug 7 with 12057 viewsgolborne

Lyndon Dykes on 09:50 - Aug 7 by ParkRoyalR

OK, let’s hope Bonne gets a run and starts to prove more worth than most feel. He’s done well in both cameos thus far. Effort is always 100%, positional play is good, but needs to hold his run more, or pass needs to come quicker (fine lines there), needs coaching (he’s not had a huge amount in his early career) on his finishing/nerve in front of goal - but let’s not make up non sensical stories about he and Dykes being similar heights. It’s 1.7m vs 1.88m, a cool 7 inches difference in old money.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:29 - Aug 7 with 11997 viewsfrancisbowles

Lyndon Dykes on 12:15 - Aug 7 by golborne

OK, let’s hope Bonne gets a run and starts to prove more worth than most feel. He’s done well in both cameos thus far. Effort is always 100%, positional play is good, but needs to hold his run more, or pass needs to come quicker (fine lines there), needs coaching (he’s not had a huge amount in his early career) on his finishing/nerve in front of goal - but let’s not make up non sensical stories about he and Dykes being similar heights. It’s 1.7m vs 1.88m, a cool 7 inches difference in old money.

According to transfermarket Bonne is 1.8 or 5ft 11 Dykes is 1.88 or 6ft 2.. So a shade over 3 ins taller. I believe this is more realistic. Bonne is definitely not 5ft 8!
Lyndon Dykes on 12:31 - Aug 7 with 11985 viewsfrancisbowles

If Lyndon played like that every week then only the rank stupid, on twitter might complain.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:31 - Aug 7 with 11956 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 12:15 - Aug 7 by golborne

Stand corrected Dykes is 6'2'' and Bonne 5'11'' tho looks taller to me, hence error, hardly nonsense, 3 inches can look like 7 to some.

I am probably one of a very few on this forum who have never criticized Bonne, just his hold up play /average control doesn't suit our system and playing off the shoulder needs to time his runs better (difficult with Chair being one of our 10's).
Lyndon Dykes on 13:01 - Aug 7 with 11902 viewsgazza1

LD played much better yesterday, but, hey, he hasn't played any good for the last 10-15 games or so. Took his goal well but the defender didn't do his job and mark him 'touch tight' in the centre of the box and only a few yards out. Their Manager, coaches and fellow defenders would have been pretty disappointed with the defender. Fair play he took it well. He also got a few headers in and blocked a few clearances.

Long way to got to change my opinion that he is a pretty limited CF for the Championship.
Lyndon Dykes on 13:16 - Aug 7 with 11842 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 13:01 - Aug 7 by gazza1

LD played much better yesterday, but, hey, he hasn't played any good for the last 10-15 games or so. Took his goal well but the defender didn't do his job and mark him 'touch tight' in the centre of the box and only a few yards out. Their Manager, coaches and fellow defenders would have been pretty disappointed with the defender. Fair play he took it well. He also got a few headers in and blocked a few clearances.

Long way to got to change my opinion that he is a pretty limited CF for the Championship.

Good to have you back Gazza, your glass is definitely getting closer to being half full,

Watch the Sky highlights on the other thread, excellent movement from Dykes from edge of the box to lose their defenders for his goal,

Excellent movement also for Dunne's goal where he pulled Crooks to front post creating space for Dunne, then spun round for possible second ball,

You'll no doubt appreciate his sublime touch taking the ball out of the sky before his shot being well saved by their keeper,

Looking back to the player he was before his injury and being forced to play those last 10 games when not fully fit, due to our owners and DOF obviously not wanting to waste another million in wages on Austin.
Lyndon Dykes on 13:29 - Aug 7 with 11813 viewsed_83

Honestly, everything I’ve seen of him and Bonne suggests that they’re both perfectly capable of being Championship-quality strikers if they’re coached and supplied properly. Yesterday proved why: Dykes ran and battled excellently, did a lot of the unglamorous work as others have pointed out, scored a very decent goal, then made way for Bonne to stretch a tired defence. The question now, as it’s been for a while, is how to get Dykes doing that every week, and getting Bonne to stay onside, but neither seem impossible to me.

We can’t afford to go out and spend £8m on Daryl Dike of whoever, so our only option is to bring in players who aren’t the finished article and then try to improve them. Dykes has taken a while to show it, and maybe he’ll do a Washington and prove that he never had it in the first place, but for as long as he’s an R we should be trying our best to get behind him and give him the best chance to succeed, in my opinion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024