Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is Leon balogun 18:02 - Aug 26 with 13557 viewsenfieldargh

singed

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Who is Leon balogun on 19:32 - Aug 26 with 2285 viewsNorthernr

Who is Leon balogun on 18:49 - Aug 26 by Sakura

Also think your being harsh on Beale bringing a centre back in on a free and short term deal.

This won't hinder JCS, Dunne or Dickie. No way. If all fit expect that to be our back 3. If not then yes it may hinder Masterson but are you really that worried about that? If we've get three strong prospects developing in that position

Also Gubbins might be able to go on loan and get minutes now.

Think your being well over the top with this one to be honest

Wouldn't be the first time, I hope you're right.
Who is Leon balogun on 19:32 - Aug 26 with 2281 viewsjoolsyp

Not sure why people are throwing their toys out of the pram with this signing. Free, short-term deal, brings bags of experience and leadership. Whether we play 4 or 3 at the back we are going to get injuries in key positions (as current ones have shown). What if Dickie/Dunne get injured (along with JCS) - is Gubbins or Masterson ready to step in?

In any managerial/head coaching position you always want to surround yourself with a mixture of new faces and one or two people you know will get the job done for you having worked with them before. I see this as no different.

Welcome Leon. Let's hope you're more Ryan Nelson/Richard Dunne than Alex Baptiste ...
Who is Leon balogun on 19:45 - Aug 26 with 2182 viewsSakura

Who is Leon balogun on 19:28 - Aug 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Also, Beale is quoted as saying he's been talking to Balogun for weeks so, whatever else, this doesn't sound like a quick swoop to fix a sudden change in tactic.

Don’t think it’s a sudden change either.

Beale has said literally since his first interview that he would play 3 at the back at times. This helps us do that as it adds depth. This supports the view that he is more flexible in his approach.

Before this signing the gulf in quality between our 3rd choice and 4th choice centre back was huge. Now it is much closer it would seem

I wouldn’t have fancied a left side of defence of Masterson and Paal. Can imagine the number of high balls over that side if we had that. This makes such a scenario less likely
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 19:46]
Who is Leon balogun on 19:50 - Aug 26 with 2142 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Didn't we have a 48 game a season French bloke bringing experience to the party?

Not sure how much we're paying this chap, I hope it's not more than Barbet was on/looking for.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Who is Leon balogun on 19:50 - Aug 26 with 2141 viewsSuperhoops2808

For me, if you sign someone like this, we should have kept Barbet if you wanted experience
Who is Leon balogun on 20:06 - Aug 26 with 2074 viewsToast_R

Experience there is no substitute for it. Do you remember when Shaun Derry signed and we all thought it was a jobs for the boys piece of recruitment and that he wouldn't feature much considering what we had? Turned out to be the the making of that team so better just to go with it and don't over think it. My God does our team lack leadership at the moment.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 20:08]
Who is Leon balogun on 20:10 - Aug 26 with 2068 viewsCamberleyR

Who is Leon balogun on 19:19 - Aug 26 by qprxtc

Didn’t we have a Balogun play for us in the 50s?

Yes, Teslim Balogun. Also Nigerian.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Who is Leon balogun on 20:11 - Aug 26 with 2066 viewscolinallcars

Who is Leon balogun on 18:09 - Aug 26 by Mick_S

Loanable Gnu. Anagram - tastic.

And his favourites band is gnus and roses.
Login to get fewer ads

Who is Leon balogun on 20:12 - Aug 26 with 2067 viewsaston_hoop

"Balogun is a Nigerian title which means "[Lieutenant Colonel]" or Commander of infantry at war" in Yoruba"

Welcome to the battle.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Who is Leon balogun on 20:12 - Aug 26 with 2064 viewsBurnleyhoop

Who is Leon balogun on 18:29 - Aug 26 by Northernr

Well I'm losing faith in a lot of stuff I had faith in.

If we've got a DOF system, that system is there to prevent a manager bringing a 34 year old bloke he's worked with before in for a position we are relatively (compared to the rest of the team) strong in isn't it? This is just McClaren's 'team of men', Warburton with Wallace and Ball and Moses all over again isn't it? Manager comes in to develop players, makes positive noises about a couple of youngsters, season starts badly, allowed to bring in a 34 year old centre back he knows. It's just Alex Baptiste again isn't it?

Am I wrong? Am I being harsh?

This post has been edited by an administrator

A tad Clive.

We haven’t been able to field anything like a full side for what, 25 games? It is now getting beyond a joke and we need to sort it. The hope was Beale might be able to bring through some of the development boys, but he has had a good look, given one or two the opportunity to stick around the first team but the rest are not what he wants or needs. Fair play if you ask me. We need to ship them out and build a much stronger squad.

Roberts, Richards and Salter are of the standard that he can develop further with a genuine chance of selling further down the line.

Balogun comes in on a free, on a one year contract, as our player, not a loan from another club. This, I think, makes a big difference. I don’t see the problem with it being someone that Beale knows and rates highly. I understand that we have had our fingers burnt in similar situations, but I for one, have more faith in Beale than most. The Balogun interview just reinforces that belief.

We need to build a more resilient squad instead of constantly hoping that our best eleven might one day eventually make it out onto the pitch together, because if they don’t, we look a very basic outfit.

Bring on the seriously overdue changes.….just don’t screw the club over financially whilst your at it.
Who is Leon balogun on 20:13 - Aug 26 with 2057 viewscolinallcars

Who is Leon balogun on 20:10 - Aug 26 by CamberleyR

Yes, Teslim Balogun. Also Nigerian.

Known to us as Tesi.
Who is Leon balogun on 20:28 - Aug 26 with 1961 viewsDavieQPR

Although Leon is eligible to play for Nigeria he was born in Berlin. Whereas Teslim was born in Lagos.
Who is Leon balogun on 20:28 - Aug 26 with 1965 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Who is Leon balogun on 19:45 - Aug 26 by Sakura

Don’t think it’s a sudden change either.

Beale has said literally since his first interview that he would play 3 at the back at times. This helps us do that as it adds depth. This supports the view that he is more flexible in his approach.

Before this signing the gulf in quality between our 3rd choice and 4th choice centre back was huge. Now it is much closer it would seem

I wouldn’t have fancied a left side of defence of Masterson and Paal. Can imagine the number of high balls over that side if we had that. This makes such a scenario less likely
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 19:46]

I think a lot of that makes sense, Sakura, genuinely. But there's a lot of contradictory behaviour and speak by Beale as well, which is mildly concerning.

He had three centre-backs plus Masterson and Gubbins and Kakay all through pre-season and never played three at the back.

The lads didn't need their hand holding (Clive's quote above) but now we're signing an old player with no re-sale value and no pre-season who played over thirty games last season for the first time in his career.
Everyone he's going to bring in will make the team stronger and will also make the bench stronger as someone will have to drop out (today's video) (that will be a player we're developing with a re-sale value, by definition). Yet we're a development club, as the finances dictate we have to be.

If this is a one-off, then maybe a case can be made for it. It's just that it contradicts a lot of what he's said and done only a wet week ago.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Who is Leon balogun on 20:31 - Aug 26 with 1943 viewsHantsR

Who is Leon balogun on 20:11 - Aug 26 by colinallcars

And his favourites band is gnus and roses.

That's the end of the gnus!!!

Now for the weather forecast...
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 20:31]
Who is Leon balogun on 20:35 - Aug 26 with 1917 viewsted_hendrix

Reasonably pleased with this signing, wealth of experience etcetera and who knows we might now abandon having 10 outfield players in our penalty box every time the opposition get a penalty.
We now obviously need to address our striker deficiency problem. (good luck with that).

I also think we need to give Beale/Ferdinand and the rest of them a bit of leeway, after playing 5 games into a long season we haven't as far as I can see abandoned our youth policy, It's all very well saying this signing is not exactly what the club said earlier, we're a busines-a results busines and recent results haven't been great although not disastrous,
we're doing the best we can under difficult financial circumstances.

Get a few points on the table and things won't look so bad, but lets give Beale a bit of time instead of picking holes In what he said in the past, now Is not the time.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Who is Leon balogun on 20:37 - Aug 26 with 1887 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Who is Leon balogun on 20:35 - Aug 26 by ted_hendrix

Reasonably pleased with this signing, wealth of experience etcetera and who knows we might now abandon having 10 outfield players in our penalty box every time the opposition get a penalty.
We now obviously need to address our striker deficiency problem. (good luck with that).

I also think we need to give Beale/Ferdinand and the rest of them a bit of leeway, after playing 5 games into a long season we haven't as far as I can see abandoned our youth policy, It's all very well saying this signing is not exactly what the club said earlier, we're a busines-a results busines and recent results haven't been great although not disastrous,

Get a few points on the table and things won't look so bad, but lets give Beale a bit of time instead of picking holes In what he said in the past, now Is not the time.

Very fair points, Ted, and points taken.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Who is Leon balogun on 21:03 - Aug 26 with 1765 viewsHAYESBOY

Who is Leon balogun on 19:50 - Aug 26 by Superhoops2808

For me, if you sign someone like this, we should have kept Barbet if you wanted experience

This.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Who is Leon balogun on 21:38 - Aug 26 with 1669 viewshoopstar67

Who is Leon balogun on 20:35 - Aug 26 by ted_hendrix

At last someone talking sense. We are still in August and the amount of negativity is unbelievable. Give the guy a chance for God's sake. Let Beale develop his team and have some patience.
Who is Leon balogun on 21:47 - Aug 26 with 1631 viewsBurnleyhoop

Who is Leon balogun on 20:28 - Aug 26 by BrianMcCarthy

I think a lot of that makes sense, Sakura, genuinely. But there's a lot of contradictory behaviour and speak by Beale as well, which is mildly concerning.

He had three centre-backs plus Masterson and Gubbins and Kakay all through pre-season and never played three at the back.

The lads didn't need their hand holding (Clive's quote above) but now we're signing an old player with no re-sale value and no pre-season who played over thirty games last season for the first time in his career.
Everyone he's going to bring in will make the team stronger and will also make the bench stronger as someone will have to drop out (today's video) (that will be a player we're developing with a re-sale value, by definition). Yet we're a development club, as the finances dictate we have to be.

If this is a one-off, then maybe a case can be made for it. It's just that it contradicts a lot of what he's said and done only a wet week ago.

How many clubs, including the elite boys, actually develop youngsters that make it to the first team?

We keep calling ourselves a development club, but with all due respect, you can’t polish a turd. Who really thinks that we have anyone in our current development squads that look remotely good enough to not only get in the first team, but be sold on for big money? How many years and loans do they need before it becomes obvious they aren’t good enough?

It’s the likes of Dickie, Dunne, Paal and Willock, who we buy with obvious potential that we develop and are likely to bring the money in.

We have to be realistic. It’s not easy by any stretch and yes Beale has contradicted himself somewhat, but things change, including long held beliefs and opinions. He has to do what needs to done and as long as he respects the constraints we have to work within, at some point we have to trust someone to get it right.
Who is Leon balogun on 21:47 - Aug 26 with 1631 viewsaston_hoop

I do think we're getting some things wrong regarding Balogun. I don't think he's here to take the game time of Dunne, or Dickie, or JCS. He's here because Beale doesn't think Masterson and Gubbins are good enough at the moment. Masterson doesn't surprise me, a Cambridge fan I know said he was just about L1 standard last year but nothing more, no great loss when he left Cambridge. Gubbins played last season in the National League and likely isn't ready. Balogun is here because its a 46 game league and getting the best out of the players means some might have to rest occasionally. Sure it doesn't quite fit what was said but Beale knows more now and if Beale thinks Gubbins is better off playing 30 times for Leyton Orient (or whoever) rather than make our bench, and Masterson is better off jettisoning to another club, then an experienced head who describes himself as 'agressive, a fighter' might be the kind of player its nice to have around. This isn't the 'rip it up and start again' moment for me....not yet anyway

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Who is Leon balogun on 21:53 - Aug 26 with 1610 viewsStreathamRanger

Clint Hill was almost 32 when we signed him. Most of us thought he was an old clogger. We got 6 years out of him. Not saying we'll get anything like that from Balogun but you never know. Good centre backs can go on a bit longer than good centre mids as SJ is proving this year.
Who is Leon balogun on 21:57 - Aug 26 with 1592 viewsBlackCrowe

If he's there as nothing more than cover and doesn't cost much then that's fine. He's straight into the first team, then that's not good.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Who is Leon balogun on 22:12 - Aug 26 with 1538 viewseastside_r

My only comment. FFS!
Who is Leon balogun on 22:15 - Aug 26 with 1533 viewsDoudou87

If Beale plays our 'development players' and comes away with bad results he wont last long in this job simple as that. You don't get long to prove yourself in this industry so I don't blame Beale for wanting to improve the squad with an older, more experienced CB. The development of players can still take place it doesn't just come to a halt because we have someone over thirty.

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

Who is Leon balogun on 22:45 - Aug 26 with 1457 viewsfrancisbowles

Who is Leon balogun on 21:03 - Aug 26 by HAYESBOY

This.

But Barbet reportedly wanted more money than the club said they could afford and probably more than one year, to sign a new contract.

This guy maybe a bit older, but has more experience at a higher level than Yoann ever had and may well have come cheaper, as he was a free agent.

As long as they stay within FFP, we should just let them get on with trying to get us competitive in the short as well as long term.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024