Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 131000 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 00:36 - Jul 5 with 1422 viewsCateLeBonR

General Election Thread on 00:11 - Jul 5 by Northernr

Awwwww, she's been pulled. Possibly by a mental health practitioner.

Or a Lawyer.
General Election Thread on 00:38 - Jul 5 with 1412 viewsNorthernr

General Election Thread on 00:36 - Jul 5 by CateLeBonR

Or a Lawyer.

Boooo. Cowards.

Also...

General Election Thread on 00:39 - Jul 5 with 1411 viewsNorthernr

General Election Thread on 00:14 - Jul 5 by Hunterhoop

Yeah, there has been an intervention. Either that or she threw a shoe at Campbell and stormed off.

Now we have the ex-Chancellor who was investigated and fined by HMRC for not paying his taxes. There really aren’t many Tory MPs who aren’t shambolic, are there?

Presume his appearance fee will be paid cash in hand.
General Election Thread on 00:50 - Jul 5 with 1339 viewsNorthernr

QPR's own Alan Johnson now in situ on C4.
General Election Thread on 01:07 - Jul 5 with 1255 viewsNorthernr

Asking Rachel Reeves whether her "box will be full in the morning" was quite a punchy line of questioning.
General Election Thread on 01:31 - Jul 5 with 1167 viewsBrianMcCarthy

C4 studio has the last twenty yoofs still slouching here from Jools' last Hootenanny.
And now they're interviewing them to back up the exit polls.

"Ya, ya...that;s just what I think,,,"

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

General Election Thread on 01:37 - Jul 5 with 1123 viewsNorthernr

General Election Thread on 01:39 - Jul 5 with 1116 viewsNorthernr

General Election Thread on 01:31 - Jul 5 by BrianMcCarthy

C4 studio has the last twenty yoofs still slouching here from Jools' last Hootenanny.
And now they're interviewing them to back up the exit polls.

"Ya, ya...that;s just what I think,,,"

Ruby Turner's gonna do ten minutes shortly (same ten minutes she did last year), take the pressure off.
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 01:39 - Jul 5 with 1102 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1.37 am and I might have been unlucky but that's the first visit Channel 4 have made to Northern Ireland that I've seen, and I've heard very little from Wales or Scotland either.

Sate of the Nation, eh?

General Election Thread on 01:40 - Jul 5 with 1089 viewsNorthernr

General Election Thread on 01:39 - Jul 5 by BrianMcCarthy

1.37 am and I might have been unlucky but that's the first visit Channel 4 have made to Northern Ireland that I've seen, and I've heard very little from Wales or Scotland either.

Sate of the Nation, eh?

I've been flicking about but have heard a bit from Scotland, once from Wales, yet to hear a Northern Irish report at all.
General Election Thread on 01:45 - Jul 5 with 1071 viewsHAYESBOY

General Election Thread on 00:38 - Jul 5 by Northernr

Boooo. Cowards.

Also...

I want to see Rees Mogg lose his seat and run off the stage in his David Byrne suit and cry out BITTY! looking for his Nanny.

Smells like a trout farm in here

General Election Thread on 01:57 - Jul 5 with 1040 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Logging off.

General Election Thread on 02:24 - Jul 5 with 995 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 21:18 - Jul 4 by CiderwithRsie

The one other independent I'd look out for (going completely under the radar) is Jason Zadrozny in Ashfield.

Was a very strong second in 2019, his Ashfield Independents party has absolutely eviscerated Tories, Labour and Lib Dems on his local council (32 out of 35 seats in the 2023 elections) and is now up against
- Lee Anderson - elected as Tory, defected to RefUK
- Tories
- Labour, who held the seat previously.

That sets up a four-way contest (unless Zadrozny gets swamped by the Big Boys, which I think unlikely when he has a disciplined local election winning machine behind him) so thecwinning vote is likely to eb quite low, which I think will suit him.

(Zadrozny is one of the more interesting figures in British politics, but you will never hear of him in the national media because he's not in a national party and he's not an obvious grifter like Galloway or Farage.)

You got my hopes up. Anderson has won comfortably.

Some fun swings to Labour though where Reform have taken a big old chunk out of the Tories so I’ll take it.
General Election Thread on 02:41 - Jul 5 with 935 viewsSydneyRs

General Election Thread on 01:40 - Jul 5 by Northernr

I've been flicking about but have heard a bit from Scotland, once from Wales, yet to hear a Northern Irish report at all.

BBC went to Belfast a bit earlier and they talked about it being a potentially bad night for the DUP who've usually held the most seats there in the past.
General Election Thread on 02:55 - Jul 5 with 890 viewsNorthernr

General Election Thread on 02:24 - Jul 5 by Watford_Ranger

You got my hopes up. Anderson has won comfortably.

Some fun swings to Labour though where Reform have taken a big old chunk out of the Tories so I’ll take it.

No great surprise on Anderson.

Ashfield is just the other side of the M1 from Ripley and Heanor, my first ever local newspaper - came out once a week, two reporters and one for sport.

Old mining community, hated the Tories after the 80s and elected a hip and happening Labour babe Judy Mallaber in 97. Utterly unremarkable, the kindest thing I can say is when the expenses scandal blew up she (much to my disappointment on the paper) had never claimed a penny for anything. She even paid for her own fcking train ticket back and forth from Derby to St Pancras. Went Tory with David Cameron, an absolute chinless wonder who used to sleep through council meetings - Nigel Mills. Two career ladder climbers really, didn't give a single solitary sht about the local constituency.

I mean, Ashfield is next to Bolsover which was famously/infamously Dennis Skinner forever and ever.

When I was working there, 2006-2010, you could see this sort of thing building. BNP actually got some people on the local council there while I was covering it. The BNP held their annual festival there, on a farm owned by a guy called Alan Warner, who constantly gave the impression somebody had whacked him in the side of the head with a flat-bottomed pan shortly before he spoke to you. It was called 'The Red, White and Blue'. It was a cross between the Nuremberg Rallies and Blackpool Pleasure Beach. I got a bollocking because the Saturday turned into a riot between ANTIFA, the police and the festival goers, and I'd bunked off to go and watch us at Sheff Utd - Billy Sharp scored a hat trick within the first 25 minutes, so I probably chose poorly.

I struggled to get my head around the place, working there, because they were rabidly afraid of and angry about immigration taking their homes, jobs etc. And yet in the census that came out when I worked there it was officially the most 'white British' place in the country - Ripley, something ridiculous like 96% white English. You never saw, met, anybody remotely foreign. A black guy on the high street in Ripley might have made us a page 5 lead.

But the more you spend time there and speak to the people and cover the council meetings you can see how and why it happens.

This is a big failing in our country, the collapse of local newspapers. Wards like that are viewed as sort of quaint little theme parks, picked up for 15 seconds on nights like this as sort of "oooh isn't that weird". But there's no real deep dives or understanding as to why that is, or what's going on there, why they're voting the way they are, what they're upset about and why they're upset. You need to spend time in these places, live there, work there, cover them, drink with them - sit in the Red Lion on Ripley Market Place and listen to your readers. Not just gaze at them from London and dismiss them as provincial racist weirdos.

In that information vacuum, opportunists and chancer profit by providing a villain to hate.

This post has been edited by an administrator
General Election Thread on 03:14 - Jul 5 with 859 viewsHAYESBOY

Lee Anderson. Really?

Just to add, this is the first election since my Dad passed. I used to watch them with him through the night. The first one was in 1983 when I was 15 and he let me stay up with him.
The last one in 2019 we didn't stay up too late as it was a disaster for Labour.
Just thinking about him a lot tonight.
He would be telling the latest Tory to do one as they lost their seats tonight.
[Post edited 5 Jul 3:33]

General Election Thread on 03:31 - Jul 5 with 837 viewsSydneyRs

Farage wins Clacton. His comedy capers continue.
General Election Thread on 03:31 - Jul 5 with 836 viewsstowmarketrange

Adolf Farage finally gets a cushy number then.
General Election Thread on 03:32 - Jul 5 with 830 viewsSydneyRs

Corbyn easily wins Islington.
General Election Thread on 03:38 - Jul 5 with 809 viewsWatford_Ranger

Yeah that was a bad couple of minutes. Jonathan Ashworth out too to the independent candidate pledging to personally free Palestine. Iain Duncan Smith sneaks in because Faiza Shaheen has an ego.
General Election Thread on 03:41 - Jul 5 with 792 viewsHAYESBOY

Gullis loses his seat. Nice.

Gillian Keegan spanked.
[Post edited 5 Jul 3:49]

General Election Thread on 03:54 - Jul 5 with 739 viewsSydneyRs

Who are the fools voting for more than one candidate each time the results are read? Are they allowed to drive cars and operate machinery?
General Election Thread on 04:12 - Jul 5 with 694 viewsPlanetHonneywood

General Election Thread on 03:54 - Jul 5 by SydneyRs

Who are the fools voting for more than one candidate each time the results are read? Are they allowed to drive cars and operate machinery?

More worrying, do they get to procreate?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

General Election Thread on 05:00 - Jul 5 with 617 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Rees-Mogg gone......beautiful!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

General Election Thread on 05:06 - Jul 5 with 580 viewsrbee

The Conservative recovery has already begun with the removal of Reese-Mogg.

Landslide as predicted but such a large majority is never healthy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024