Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Creeket is back 10:55 - Jan 14 with 31048 viewsMrSheen

That crept up on me. Looks like it might be another three day game. Root and Bairstow could do with an upturn in form.
Creeket is back on 11:19 - Feb 10 with 2351 viewsloftus77

The thing about our three modern great all-rounders (Botham, Flintoff and Stokes) is that while Beefy and Freddie were on the bowling side of the equation (i.e.they were actually great bowlers who could frequently bat well - and explosively), Stokes is unique in that he is genuinely at heart a great batsman who can frequently bowl well - and explosively.

In that sense, Stokes is closer to Sobers as one of the greatest all-rounders ever. IMHO.
Creeket is back on 11:35 - Feb 10 with 2324 viewsMalintabuk

Creeket is back on 07:43 - Feb 10 by BlackAndGoldRanger

Yeah Jimmy and Broad retiring will leave a huge hole. Strangely I would say more so at home because they tend to play together at home and are managed away and usually play the extra spinner or extra out and out fast bowler. I'm struggling to see a standout replacement. Players like Woakes and Wood have their days but no one is as consistent as them. Both for taking wickets and building pressure with dot balls and maidens.
The spinners will get better with games, they can both be very wayward with lines and lengths but both played their parts in the game. The series is set up nicely.

The issue England have and trying to replace Anderson and Broad is getting someone in the team to be able to replace them
At the moment we cant or won't more likely, play the 2 together so trying to bring on replacements is so difficult. I think that will change in Australia they most likely will play them both in matches perhaps not all 5 but in some
For me Woakes is the natural succession into Anderson role and if he could get more games i think he could be very decent
Anderson and Broad are so good we are in danger of losing half a generation of bowlers
What a great position English cricket is in at the moment
Creeket is back on 23:46 - Feb 10 with 2232 viewsCiderwithRsie

Creeket is back on 11:19 - Feb 10 by loftus77

The thing about our three modern great all-rounders (Botham, Flintoff and Stokes) is that while Beefy and Freddie were on the bowling side of the equation (i.e.they were actually great bowlers who could frequently bat well - and explosively), Stokes is unique in that he is genuinely at heart a great batsman who can frequently bowl well - and explosively.

In that sense, Stokes is closer to Sobers as one of the greatest all-rounders ever. IMHO.

Agreed, and you can see that in how much higher up the order he bats. Botham and Flintoff could change a game with their batting but Stokes can not only do that, he can craft a proper Test innings when the going's tough.

Maybe that's why I rate him higher, your middle/top order batsman is important every game, often the opening bats are there to see off the new ball rather than score big runs and its the No 4 or 5 who is key, whereas the bowling all-rounder is more of a supplement to your new ball pair.
Creeket is back on 08:46 - Feb 11 with 2153 viewsTheChef

Creeket is back on 11:35 - Feb 10 by Malintabuk

The issue England have and trying to replace Anderson and Broad is getting someone in the team to be able to replace them
At the moment we cant or won't more likely, play the 2 together so trying to bring on replacements is so difficult. I think that will change in Australia they most likely will play them both in matches perhaps not all 5 but in some
For me Woakes is the natural succession into Anderson role and if he could get more games i think he could be very decent
Anderson and Broad are so good we are in danger of losing half a generation of bowlers
What a great position English cricket is in at the moment

Woakes is a wholehearted performer for England, it baffles me why he is in and out of the side so much.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Creeket is back on 10:18 - Feb 11 with 2118 viewsCiderwithRsie

Creeket is back on 08:46 - Feb 11 by TheChef

Woakes is a wholehearted performer for England, it baffles me why he is in and out of the side so much.

Doesn't baffle me.

He's excellent and will never let you down so he'll keep getting chances. He just hasn't managed to pin down an area where he's first choice, not because he's mediocre but because the competitors are too good.

Mainly he's a swing bowler, but Jimmy A is the best there's ever been and is going on forever
He's also a handy all-rounder, just tough that Stokes is the best we've had for generations
He upped his pace quite a bit but he's no Archer or Woods (who are in turn the fastest we've had since Harmison)

It's like the Tony Bennett quote - "Sinatra was a once-in-a-lifetime singer; why did it have to be my lifetime?"
Creeket is back on 10:25 - Feb 11 with 2112 viewsMedwayR

Creeket is back on 10:18 - Feb 11 by CiderwithRsie

Doesn't baffle me.

He's excellent and will never let you down so he'll keep getting chances. He just hasn't managed to pin down an area where he's first choice, not because he's mediocre but because the competitors are too good.

Mainly he's a swing bowler, but Jimmy A is the best there's ever been and is going on forever
He's also a handy all-rounder, just tough that Stokes is the best we've had for generations
He upped his pace quite a bit but he's no Archer or Woods (who are in turn the fastest we've had since Harmison)

It's like the Tony Bennett quote - "Sinatra was a once-in-a-lifetime singer; why did it have to be my lifetime?"

100% agree. I'm a big fan of his and I think Woakes is generally underrated by many because they compare him to those you mentioned whilst forgetting how good those players are. I think you've nailed it without diminishing his talent.

Poll: Who’s better?

Creeket is back on 13:02 - Feb 11 with 2076 viewsqprd

Creeket is back on 08:46 - Feb 11 by TheChef

simple- with the ball, he is like curran. He cant bowl outside of england (averages over 50), whereas hes a more than servicable bowler in england where he takes wickets at a decent average

his batting has also been generally pretty disappointing since he scored his century at lords in 2018... until the series against pak, he was consistently failing with bat

hes one of those players who you select in england when you have 4 seamers... in subcontinent, you'd rather have broad and/or anderson and then one of the true quicks for a change of pace, and then have stokes bowl a few overs.... stokes is basically being selected as a batsman who happens to be able to bowl a handful of overs with an older reverse swinging ball
Creeket is back on 14:54 - Feb 11 with 2031 viewsplasmahoop

Woakes is a fine player, but I agree with the comments as to why he isn't first choice at the moment. It's all relative though, I went to the 50 over final a few years ago when warwickshire beat Surrey and he was easily the best bowler on the day, a class apart. It's also a reminder of just how fast the fast bowlers are. Woakes isn't super quick, but looked it on that day!
Login to get fewer ads

Creeket is back on 09:43 - Feb 13 with 1957 viewsTGRRRSSS

2nd test is on.

Good partership here from India, but Kohli out again for 0.

If they lost this test big pressure surely?

214/3.

England quicks seem to be struggling a bit now.
Creeket is back on 10:22 - Feb 13 with 1915 viewsRangersw12

This seemed an even bigger toss to win than the 1st test

Poor bowling today and unsure why England expects Moeen to suddenly do the biz when he hasn't played test cricket for an age

This will be over within 3 days and a comfortable Indian win
Creeket is back on 10:28 - Feb 13 with 1912 viewsRangersw12

Brilliant to see crowds back gives a bit of hope for the summer tests

Can't believe that review that they didn't check it hitting the glove

[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 10:39]
Creeket is back on 13:06 - Feb 13 with 1830 viewsMrSheen

Creeket is back on 10:28 - Feb 13 by Rangersw12

Brilliant to see crowds back gives a bit of hope for the summer tests

Can't believe that review that they didn't check it hitting the glove

[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 10:39]

I was wondering what all that noise was. What changed over the last week to make it possible for fans to come in?
Creeket is back on 13:53 - Feb 13 with 1792 viewsThe_Beast1976

Creeket is back on 13:06 - Feb 13 by MrSheen

I was wondering what all that noise was. What changed over the last week to make it possible for fans to come in?

Under Govt rules the fans were allowed in for the 1st Test and the BCCI wanted them in, butbthe ECB said no (that's what I read anyway). I also read that the ECB didn't want fans in for this Test or the next two, but the BCCI has said fans are allowed under Govt rules so they are selling tickets and letting them in
Creeket is back on 15:40 - Feb 13 with 1755 viewsstowmarketrange

Creeket is back on 13:53 - Feb 13 by The_Beast1976

Under Govt rules the fans were allowed in for the 1st Test and the BCCI wanted them in, butbthe ECB said no (that's what I read anyway). I also read that the ECB didn't want fans in for this Test or the next two, but the BCCI has said fans are allowed under Govt rules so they are selling tickets and letting them in

What happens when the ball goes into the crowd for a 6?Its hardly maintaining a secure environment if several hands may have touched the ball in the crowd.Does the umpire wipe the ball clean when it comes back?
Creeket is back on 17:19 - Feb 13 with 1706 viewsBlackCrowe

Creeket is back on 15:40 - Feb 13 by stowmarketrange

What happens when the ball goes into the crowd for a 6?Its hardly maintaining a secure environment if several hands may have touched the ball in the crowd.Does the umpire wipe the ball clean when it comes back?

In Oz, they wipe it. With sandpaper.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Creeket is back on 18:35 - Feb 13 with 1650 viewsstowmarketrange

Creeket is back on 17:19 - Feb 13 by BlackCrowe

In Oz, they wipe it. With sandpaper.

Creeket is back on 20:56 - Feb 13 with 1591 viewstoboboly

Kohli, the inly man who could review being bowled 😉

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Creeket is back on 21:50 - Feb 13 with 1565 viewsBlackCrowe

Not a surprise, he more or less commands Indian cricket.

Creeket is back on 23:52 - Feb 13 with 1538 viewstoboboly

Creeket is back on 21:50 - Feb 13 by BlackCrowe

Not a surprise, he more or less commands Indian cricket.

Umpires covering themselves in glory too. Biased fcukers

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Creeket is back on 00:45 - Feb 14 with 1515 viewsCiderwithRsie

India won the day, but it's only Day 1. The big question is how well can England bat on a turning surface. I'd back India but it's exactly the sort of test England need to face. Got to see both sides bat to have much of an idea.
Creeket is back on 08:00 - Feb 14 with 1496 viewsdenhamhoop2

Creeket is back on 00:45 - Feb 14 by CiderwithRsie

India won the day, but it's only Day 1. The big question is how well can England bat on a turning surface. I'd back India but it's exactly the sort of test England need to face. Got to see both sides bat to have much of an idea.

It's not looking good for England
Creeket is back on 08:04 - Feb 14 with 1494 viewsBlackCrowe

Aggers said that if this was a country championhship wicket, the host club could probably be deducted points. A test match between two top teams that is likely to last only 2 or 2.5 days (although i expect India will bat again), where the team winning the toss is more or less guaranteed to win, is wrong.

Creeket is back on 09:24 - Feb 14 with 1447 viewsdenhamhoop2

It would be dangerous to bat on if it went to a 5th Day that is not going to happen this will end before lunch on 4th day
Creeket is back on 09:27 - Feb 14 with 1442 viewsloftboy

Avoided the follow on

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Creeket is back on 12:08 - Feb 14 with 1360 viewsRangersw12

Very poor pitch but England have been poor and should have done everything better.

Day nighter next which could bring Anderson into play
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024