Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dozzell 16:32 - Jan 18 with 45673 viewsaston_hoop

Off to Brum

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Dozzell on 09:13 - Jan 19 with 3061 viewsStainrod

Dozzell on 09:00 - Jan 19 by Northernr

Dozzell's attached to the Stellar agency, as is Craig Gardner the DOF at Birmingham and two thirds of the players he signs for them.

The stench of corruption in football still assaults my nostrils after all these years. Shades of us under Hughes. I think what does still shock is how blatant it is. Surely the CEO or owner asks the question: "are you benefiting from this financially?" In any other industry that would be a massive conflict of interest and wouldn't be allowed.
Dozzell on 09:16 - Jan 19 with 3017 viewstraininvain

Dozzell on 09:09 - Jan 19 by Northernr

Warbs made his fair share of poor ones - Gray, Odubajo, Wallace - but Dozzell was driven by the recruitment team.

This is one of the many, many, many problems we've had. The recruitment has been incoherent. You've got some players in this squad because the recruitment guys liked them, some because Chris Ramsey pushed them, some were Warbs, some Beale, some Ainsworth etc. Some, like Austin, were driven by the owners. Your recruitment should be consistent, driven from the same source, for the same style of play and reason.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I’m sure he did and my comment was a bit tongue in cheek as I know Warburton wasn’t perfect but I still think he had us overachieving.

Not sure I agree that Wallace was a poor signing. He was a real threat in the left wing back role, albeit maybe his fitness wasn’t ideal.
Dozzell on 09:18 - Jan 19 with 2988 viewsNorthernr

Dozzell on 09:16 - Jan 19 by traininvain

I’m sure he did and my comment was a bit tongue in cheek as I know Warburton wasn’t perfect but I still think he had us overachieving.

Not sure I agree that Wallace was a poor signing. He was a real threat in the left wing back role, albeit maybe his fitness wasn’t ideal.

Yeh he did, I like Warbs a lot.
Dozzell on 09:19 - Jan 19 with 2978 viewsRangersw12

Dozzell on 09:16 - Jan 19 by traininvain

It was a poor signing in the way that it was expensive and short term with no resale value and not what the club should have been doing .

Just another example of the recruitment all over the place
Dozzell on 09:28 - Jan 19 with 2886 viewstraininvain

Dozzell on 09:19 - Jan 19 by Rangersw12

It was a poor signing in the way that it was expensive and short term with no resale value and not what the club should have been doing .

Just another example of the recruitment all over the place

Agree to an extent but any successful team needs a blend of youth and experience. I’m not sure how much money Wallace was on or how much he cost (was he a fee?) but I thought his contribution on the pitch was generally good.
Dozzell on 09:37 - Jan 19 with 2832 viewsR_from_afar

Dozzell on 08:54 - Jan 19 by Metallica_Hoop

I find it strange that someone would want him on loan, apart from his worldie who would look at his reel and think 'I'll have some of that'?

I don't dislike him, he's just anonymous too often.

I'm not sure the deal will go through. Trading standards will surely block it

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Dozzell on 09:39 - Jan 19 with 2809 viewsBAWHoops

Seeing as this has become a Warbs thread now.... It's such a shame that ego's torpedoed the only stability we've had at the club since relegation from the Prem.
Warbs insisting the kids were useless, Les/Ramsey refusing to countenance his opinion on it.
Had they acted like grown ups he likely still would be here and we would be comfortably mid table

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Dozzell on 09:50 - Jan 19 with 2708 viewsw7r

I don't post very often. On this news I feel compelled to.

Has it been confirmed or is this some sick prank?
Login to get fewer ads

Dozzell on 09:52 - Jan 19 with 2697 viewsbongo_king

RE Wallace, problem was his fitness. Agree with an earlier poster, he was good WHEN he played. Also everything I picked up indicated that off the pitch, he was a real pro. Something we have basically entirely missed since and an advert for why a few wallace-like players are good to have too.

Warbs made his mistakes but I also liked him a lot. He seemed to clock that we had a weak bunch, and seemed keen on incorporating older pros to counter this (first Cameron, later Ball, Wallace, Jojo). Once he left and Beale got the keys, the balance tipped over.

Back to Dozzell on a side comment, I always got the feeling Warbs never really liked him, like he felt Dozzell had been imposed on him. I remember him not starting many games under Warbs until the disastrous 2nd half of the season, when he had to. Possibly an early canary in the coalmine of how Warbs wasn't thrilled about the players he was being given.
Dozzell on 09:52 - Jan 19 with 2694 viewsbaz_qpr

Dozzell on 09:39 - Jan 19 by BAWHoops

Seeing as this has become a Warbs thread now.... It's such a shame that ego's torpedoed the only stability we've had at the club since relegation from the Prem.
Warbs insisting the kids were useless, Les/Ramsey refusing to countenance his opinion on it.
Had they acted like grown ups he likely still would be here and we would be comfortably mid table

We were on a losing streak akin to Ainsworth's though. Warburton has fallen out with the owners at every club he has been at. So not so sure. I think he had run his race here
Dozzell on 09:55 - Jan 19 with 2664 viewsqprninja

Dozzell on 16:43 - Jan 18 by Northernr

Does he need a lift?
Might be room in the car for his Twitter fan club too if they like.

A "Baller" apparently.......once a season.
Dozzell on 10:03 - Jan 19 with 2613 viewsBlue_Castello

Dozzell on 08:33 - Jan 19 by PlanetHonneywood

I think its a classic QPR signing.

We either bought the wrong player. We either couldn't incorporate him into the many playing styles used since we signed him or, the analytics and judgement used was not up to scratch.

Either way: it's not worked out at best, poor signing at worst and a waste of everyone's time, effort, and our money.

We can but hope the lesson where it needs to be learned the most - at bloody QPR - has been learned and we stop acquiring players that don't fit.

I found the we either bought the wrong player comment interesting, at the time we bought him he was playing in midfield alongside Flynn Downes, now he also got transferred at the same time for similar money to Swansea and I believe after Dozzells transfer. So I do think we got the wrong player, Downes was sold from Swansea to West Ham for £10 million and he's now on loan to Southampton playing first choice in their midfield.

Dozzell flatters to deceive in nearly every game, looks good on the ball with no end product, good at recycling the ball, if we don't replace him though the squad will be weaker, people thinking you can stick anybody in there and it's an improvement are way off the mark. It's a very tough position to play, for me SDM has already proved he's not a Championship player in that position, if your resigned to the fact we are already relegated then it doesn't matter who plays there but I've not given up just yet I may feel differently after Huddersfield.

Interesting that Dom Balls name appears again, I'm a fan because he's a good squad player and that's something we're missing at the moment, ultimately you never want him to be first choice because your always trying to improve but when he plays he doesn't let you down in terms of commitment and has a decent footballing brain. I was at Ipswich away, he started for them because Morsy was suspended and he did an OK job for a team second in the table missing four of their best players.

Let's hope the Birmingham recruitment team don't get forwarded a copy of this thread that could be the end of the deal and like others I'm hoping if it happens it frees up some budget for us to get 1 or 2 players in.....
Dozzell on 10:08 - Jan 19 with 2560 viewsdaveB

I think signing Dozzell as long term Stef replacement was a pretty good idea at the time, he started quite well and clearly has ability but just hasn't taken the chance. I wouldn't give the club pelters for this one not working, sometimes the idea is right but the player doesn't take the opportunity and he's looked like someone playing well within himself for a long time now
Dozzell on 10:22 - Jan 19 with 2443 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Dozzell on 09:39 - Jan 19 by BAWHoops

Les and Ramsey had skin in the game though. It's a shame that there weren't grown-ups above them who could evaluate their respective claims, as they'd have been gone then rather than a couple of years later.
Dozzell on 10:26 - Jan 19 with 2410 viewscpgerber

That means Taylor Richards get bumped up the order
Dozzell on 10:32 - Jan 19 with 2359 viewsterryb

As Dom Ball has been mentioned, I would like to point out that he has something very much in common with Andre Dozzell.

Both were squad members (but not first team regulars) for both Queens Park Rangers & Ipswich Town. Ball, is at best, the fifth option for two central midfield spaces now.

Of the two I prefer Dom, but mainly because I was very anti Dozzell when we signed him!
Dozzell on 10:32 - Jan 19 with 2356 viewsTheChef

Dozzell on 19:57 - Jan 18 by Juzzie

Rarely gives the ball away because he probably never has it in the first place.

And never injured because he never makes a tackle.

And has that unfortunate look on his face like he doesn't give a shit.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Dozzell on 10:51 - Jan 19 with 2220 viewsWatford_Ranger

Dozzell on 09:52 - Jan 19 by bongo_king

RE Wallace, problem was his fitness. Agree with an earlier poster, he was good WHEN he played. Also everything I picked up indicated that off the pitch, he was a real pro. Something we have basically entirely missed since and an advert for why a few wallace-like players are good to have too.

Warbs made his mistakes but I also liked him a lot. He seemed to clock that we had a weak bunch, and seemed keen on incorporating older pros to counter this (first Cameron, later Ball, Wallace, Jojo). Once he left and Beale got the keys, the balance tipped over.

Back to Dozzell on a side comment, I always got the feeling Warbs never really liked him, like he felt Dozzell had been imposed on him. I remember him not starting many games under Warbs until the disastrous 2nd half of the season, when he had to. Possibly an early canary in the coalmine of how Warbs wasn't thrilled about the players he was being given.

Yeah I saw him as a not as good, not as fit Clint Hill and it bumped Niko down the pecking order. As with Cook/Colback you’d rather we went out and signed a 20-something who ought to play 40+ games but he wasn’t the worst stop gap we’ve had.
Dozzell on 10:59 - Jan 19 with 2163 viewsGus_iom

On the 'who signed who' dilemma, I love that every man and his dog was involved in signing Eze, while other players seemingly wander in and get given a contract with no input from anyone at all....
Dozzell on 11:00 - Jan 19 with 2150 viewsTheChef

Has he gone yet?

Or is this more Twitter BS?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Dozzell on 11:02 - Jan 19 with 2133 viewstraininvain

Dozzell on 10:51 - Jan 19 by Watford_Ranger

Yeah I saw him as a not as good, not as fit Clint Hill and it bumped Niko down the pecking order. As with Cook/Colback you’d rather we went out and signed a 20-something who ought to play 40+ games but he wasn’t the worst stop gap we’ve had.

Clint Hill left the club in 2016 and Lee Wallace joined in 2019. And let’s not pretend that Niko was ever going to be good enough. He made 30 appearances in eight years at the club because he wasn’t up to the job.

Sorry just realised it was more of a general comparison with Hill. Wallace was a lot more attacking and really opened up the space linking with Chair on the left hand side. His biggest strength was getting into the oppo box and cutting back from the byline. Agree that his general fitness was an issue.
[Post edited 19 Jan 11:10]
Dozzell on 11:05 - Jan 19 with 2120 viewsNorthernr

Dozzell on 10:59 - Jan 19 by Gus_iom

On the 'who signed who' dilemma, I love that every man and his dog was involved in signing Eze, while other players seemingly wander in and get given a contract with no input from anyone at all....

Sam thing happened with Luke Freeman.

Success has many parents, failure is an orphan.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Dozzell on 11:22 - Jan 19 with 1945 viewsCateLeBonR

Dozzell on 09:00 - Jan 19 by Northernr

Dozzell's attached to the Stellar agency, as is Craig Gardner the DOF at Birmingham and two thirds of the players he signs for them.

Whereas we’ve moved on to the Estrella agency now…
Dozzell on 11:30 - Jan 19 with 1865 viewsAntti_Heinola

Dozzell on 08:45 - Jan 19 by eastside_r

Warburton built his side around LTC the first part of the 2020-21 season and we were rubbish and dull. This strategy almost cost MW his job.

MW got lucky when LTC got injured and we loaned in Johansen.

Not angry but I am not having this revisionism.

(And your first line is classic straw man.)

Fair enough, I wasn't exonerating Warbs, but my point was more that no club only makes good signings. It's easy to sit here and say 'that was a poor signing, someone has to take the blame and be criticised' - and, yes, accountability is important and as Clive says, we do not have accountability at this club because the lines are so blurred.
But it's pointless to sit here and complain that no one has criticised someone enough for a signing because it hasn't worked out: it's meaningless - and all managers make poor signings, we just have to accept that sometimes. What is more helpful is to look at why he was signed, and for what reasons. Was it in-keeping with our policy, if not, why not? Why didn't it work out? Your analysis goes: Warbs signed player, player has not been a real success, Warbs needs criticism. But where does that get us? He's not even at the club anymore. For me, as with so many of these things, nuance and context are more important.

- Dozzell was signed with an eye to having a replacement for Johansen. This was smart, and forward-thinking. Johansen at that time still looked good for us, so pressure on Dozzell was low-ish and we had time to bed him in and theoretically for him to learn from someone who had had a great career to that point.
- Dozzell clearly had talent, was a good passer, looked like he would develop physically, and had played 80 games of men's football already aged 21. Any player in League One playing for a club like Ipswich (basket case as it was then, admittedly), at that age, with that many games, has to be looked at.
- He was in line with the idea of buying young talent from a lower league, developing and selling him in for a profit.

Ticks all round.

By all accounts, he had been watched properly and tracked for a long while. I don't profess to know much about these things, but it feels like the thinking on this and the planning was all pretty good, with the analytics team and Warbs and Les all believing this was a worthwhile signing.

HOWEVER.

Despite some early promise (QPR lost just one match in Dozzell's first 17 appearances) he has not progressed as we wanted and expected. Black and white, does that make it a bad signing? Yes. But the more important thing is why has it not worked? Why has he not progressed? What has gone wrong? Was it the systems and checks at the time of his signing? Or has it been what has happened since? Or was it simply that Dozzell did not have the potential to really take it to the next level. A not uncommon thing for young players, but it's difficult to predict the future. Cook and Rowlands were bombed out of league clubs as young players. Those decisions were wrong, as they came back and surpassed expectations. Others it's the other way around.

It's not revisionism, we just have different views on how LTC was used and MW's time here.

Bare bones.

Dozzell on 11:45 - Jan 19 with 1760 viewsNW10Hoop

Dozzell on 09:50 - Jan 19 by w7r

I don't post very often. On this news I feel compelled to.

Has it been confirmed or is this some sick prank?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024