Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stan Bowles 10:21 - Feb 23 with 32853 viewsBakes

Rest In Peace
[Post edited 24 Feb 21:36]

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Stan Bowles on 08:39 - Feb 25 with 2202 viewssexton

It wasn't just the phenomenal skill and the amazing goals, the best of which weren't captured by TV, it was Stan's swagger and attitude that we loved so much.

When an opponent missed and thought he had gone close, Stan stretched his arms out to indicate how much he had missed by. When an opponent fouled him Stan picked himself up and pointed his forefingers at his temples to indicate what he thought of his mental state.

One of my favourite memories is from the 75/76 season. Our opponents were the dour and boring Everton. We demolished them 5-0. Late in the game they won a throw in front of me in the Ellerslie Road Stand. The thuggish Mick Lyons came over to take it. Stan made him wait by playing keepy-uppy before spinning the ball up to land perfectly at Lyons' feet, meaning he had to bend down to pick it up. Lyons sarcastically applauded. Stan raised the fingers on his hand one by one to indicate the score. The crowd erupted.

RIP Stan.
Stan Bowles on 09:25 - Feb 25 with 2037 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Touch of class from the club.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stan Bowles on 09:40 - Feb 25 with 1985 viewsconnell10

Stan Bowles on 09:25 - Feb 25 by BrianMcCarthy

Touch of class from the club.

Yep well done there đź‘Ź

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Stan Bowles on 09:45 - Feb 25 with 1965 viewslightwaterhoop

Also got a mention on the TNT sports coverage of the Arsenal v Newcastle game.
Stan Bowles on 09:49 - Feb 25 with 1942 viewsBlue_Castello

Jeez don't know where to start I must have seen virtually every single home game he played and a couple away from home, we were so gutted to lose Marsh to City we thought he could never be replaced.

Then Jago goes and signs a lad from Carlisle that we had never heard of and he sets Loftus Road alight with his his skill, flair and commitment once he crossed the line and got on the pitch. Such a character in those days where you were always hearing of him being in the bookies just before the game, the culture has changed over the years but then he was always our lovable rogue.

Rest in Peace Stan you have thousands of people who you gave great pleasure to and will all fondly remember you, it's an honour to have a season ticket in the Stanley Bowles stand.
Stan Bowles on 09:50 - Feb 25 with 1933 views1BobbyHazell

RIP Stan

Gone but never forgotten

Legend
Stan Bowles on 10:07 - Feb 25 with 1832 viewsBklynRanger

RIP Stan, a genuine club legend
Stan Bowles on 10:17 - Feb 25 with 1793 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

My favourite Stan memory was my Dad (Bees fan) taking me to the UEFA cup game against Cologne.
I think we were 2-1 up and late on, Stan scores that wonderful goal. I can still recall my old man shouting “Oh, what a wonderful goal, Stanley!”.

Then thanks to Dave B’s compilation, I watch it this morning to see it was on my 14th birthday. All those years ago and I had no idea.

Thanks Stan and Dad - what a birthday present.

God bless, Stan. Like many 70’s Rangers kids, you were our first true hero.
[Post edited 25 Feb 10:20]
Login to get fewer ads

Stan Bowles on 10:31 - Feb 25 with 1739 viewsRebalhoop

Can’t add anything else, just RIEP Stan,love and condolences to your family and friends.
You,El Tel,Macca,Glenn and the other Rangers players we have lost can ensure there is a little corner of heaven that is Forever Rs
Stan Bowles on 10:33 - Feb 25 with 1724 viewsQPR_John

Stan Bowles on 20:06 - Feb 24 by SteveB

If I could sum it up for you, think Leo Messi, then x5 = Stan Bowles. He was that good.
RIP my hero.

Then, Now, Always. QPR FC.

Quote from the Independent

"Yet those figures barely scratch the surface of Bowles’ talent – think Lionel Messi playing with a cigarette in one hand, a lager top in the other and a copy of the Racing Post sticking out of his back pocket."
Stan Bowles on 10:36 - Feb 25 with 1707 viewsRsinWales

Stan Bowles on 19:48 - Feb 24 by daveB

Made this a while back, absolute legend

Thanks Dave. A beautiful piece of work.
Stan Bowles on 10:57 - Feb 25 with 1617 viewsJuzzie

Stan Bowles on 10:36 - Feb 25 by RsinWales

Thanks Dave. A beautiful piece of work.

I was too young to see him play but fortunate enough to go to the Brentford v QPR pre-season testimonial for him and watching both Stan and Rodney Marsh running rings around everyone (both in their 40’s) was a joy to watch. Stan played for both sides that day and even some Brentford youngsters donned QPR shirts.
It was just a good, fun, day all round.

He really did put our club on the map. We had other really good players around him, Francis, Thomas, Parkes, Clement, Hollins, McLintock, Webb, Masson (my god, what a team) but it was him people came to see. It was him who turned people that had no association with west London into QPR fans.
No one has done that to such a degree before or since.

RIP
[Post edited 25 Feb 10:58]
Stan Bowles on 11:00 - Feb 25 with 1605 viewshook_hoops

Stan Bowles on 23:18 - Feb 24 by ted_hendrix

March 1972 and the news came on the radio that we had just sold Rodney Marsh to Man City, I was bloody distraught, I idolised the bloke, honestly I'd never seen any one player like Rodney, I was inconsolable, he was all things QPR to me, he couldn't be replaced In my eyes he was literally unplayable on his day.

And then along came Stan and lo and behold Rodney was replaced, so walking down Loftus Road at about 2.50 PM on a Saturday afternoon was all good again.

Halcyon Days just good old plain Halcyon Days.................

The first time I saw Stan play he was playing for Carlisle in an end of season game at Loftus Rd which QPR won 3-0, but all the talk around me was about Carlisle's No 10, a certain Stanley Bowles. He ran our defence ragged that day. I remember someone saying that their No 10 looked just like a pocket sized Rodney. I was so excited when Gordon Jago signed him a few months later and I had the joy of watching his genius every week playing in the Hoops.

God Bless you Stan and thanks for the magical memories.
Stan Bowles on 11:00 - Feb 25 with 1594 viewsRs_Holy

Stan Bowles on 10:33 - Feb 25 by QPR_John

"Yet those figures barely scratch the surface of Bowles’ talent – think Lionel Messi playing with a cigarette in one hand, a lager top in the other and a copy of the Racing Post sticking out of his back pocket."

That is Stan summed up in a couple of sentences ... a true one off maverick ... They really need to make a film (or tv series) about the life of Stan... The stories of what he got up to (on and off the pitch) are so incredible and so fabulous they are the thing of Legends.
Stan Bowles on 11:08 - Feb 25 with 1573 viewsToast_R

What a great tribute. Those final scenes with him at LR a couple of seasons ago really choked me up.
Stan Bowles on 11:25 - Feb 25 with 1511 viewsthemodfather

RIP Stan , top player, top man. thanks for the memories. that "superstars" was a classic SUPERSTARS WITH stan firing the gun into the table, in the canoe going off screen!! lol
Stan Bowles on 11:26 - Feb 25 with 1502 viewscharmr

Been involved in youth coaching for 20 yrs and all my balls,bibs and cones have a no 10 scrawled on them to know who they belong to. Trust me you lose a lot if you’re not careful.

Why have you got no 10 stamped on all your equipment often asked. Stan Bowles the simple reply.
[Post edited 25 Feb 11:34]
Stan Bowles on 11:28 - Feb 25 with 1496 viewsLblock

Brilliant
Absolutely brilliant

The man will be an icon forever

RIP Stanley

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Stan Bowles on 11:37 - Feb 25 with 1467 viewsMedwayR

I think that needs to go on memorial banner for Stan.

Poll: Who’s better?

Stan Bowles on 11:40 - Feb 25 with 1461 viewsstowmarketrange

RIP Stan.The finest player I’ve ever seen in my 54 years of watching the R’s.Condolences to his family who have had a lot to endure over the years.At least his struggles are now over.
Stan Bowles on 11:42 - Feb 25 with 1454 viewsmart_Goblin

Apologies. Downgraded when it was most certainly meant to be an upgrade
Stan Bowles on 11:53 - Feb 25 with 1413 viewsHarbour

Thanks Dave beautiful…that brought a tear to my eye…RIP Stan
Stan Bowles on 12:19 - Feb 25 with 1355 viewscollegeranger

My first footballing hero and great memories of his playing days.

The best Stan story came from Dave Webb who said that Stan turned up for training a bit disheveled but trained hard (ish). Back in the dressing room after Stan asks if he could borrow 50p for the bus back to Brentford where he was living. Dave gives him 50p. They all go outside to the car park and there waiting is Dave Webb's wife and young daughter. Stan goes up and says hi - gives the daughter something and wanders off. Dave gets in the car and says to his daughter, what did Stan give you - she replied..... 50p.

My personal story was in the mid 90's I got invited to a sponsors/players forum at LR. Due to traffic I was about 10 minutes late. But as I arrive who is also late and meant to be on the panel.... Stan. In we go to bar and he lets me order first and of course how could I not buy the great man a drink. "What do you fancy Stan" - "oh thanks mate i'll have a Kronenbourg......... and a large Smirnoff.....but not in the same glass"". Now, I would with anyone else turn round and say don't take the pi55, but it was Stan and I just laughed and clinked glasses!

Finally - my cat is called Stanley, and its perfect for him - wanders around the place, can be a bit lazy, breaks all the rules off the house, sleeps a lot of the day but spends most evenings out and about. But puts a smile on everyone's face in the house when he enters the room.

Rest In Peace Stan - god bless
Stan Bowles on 12:45 - Feb 25 with 1306 viewsstevec

Wonderful quote, fantastic player.

RIP Stan
Stan Bowles on 13:05 - Feb 25 with 1273 viewsCopenhagenRs

Stan the man. The incarnation of everything that is QPR. My first and forever favorite QPR player. What a legend that has left us. Rest in eternal peace Stanley!
[Post edited 25 Feb 13:31]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024