Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lyndon Dykes 21:07 - Mar 17 with 43573 viewsDWQPR

Best game for the club by a long way tonight. May not be a natural goalscorer but certainly a good foil for Austin. He gave his all tonight. Was unbeatable in the air, harried their defence all night and left nothing in the tank. Well done lad.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Lyndon Dykes on 06:24 - Jan 11 with 2858 viewsdavman

Lyndon Dykes on 15:01 - Jan 10 by simmo

He's a top half Championship striker currently and his improvement in the last 18 months, as with the previous few years, shows that his trajectory is still upwards and he could become the best we've had for a long while. He's a 20 goal season away from a Chris Wood style bid from Burnley and that's his only chance at a PL move currently, it's best for all that he stays and keeps working. Some good showings for Scotland in the WC might help accelerate that!

The 20 goal season thing is the thing here. I agree that is what he would need, but he's not going to be prolific any time soon. As Clive posted, his touch and control is generally pretty poor and will hold him back.

To me, he is getting much better in the air and is winning far more flick ons than he did early in his career and I don't think he would have scored the goal he got on Saturday a year or so ago. Some of his first touch passing is also very, very good, but like his touch, he is not quite at the right level, when the ball is at his feet under control; he rarely beats a man and his distribution from that position remains pretty poor generally.

Much improved, but teams at a higher level will only look at him with his attributes if he can become prolific, which he is not.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Lyndon Dykes on 07:08 - Jan 11 with 2772 viewstraininvain

Lyndon Dykes on 06:24 - Jan 11 by davman

The 20 goal season thing is the thing here. I agree that is what he would need, but he's not going to be prolific any time soon. As Clive posted, his touch and control is generally pretty poor and will hold him back.

To me, he is getting much better in the air and is winning far more flick ons than he did early in his career and I don't think he would have scored the goal he got on Saturday a year or so ago. Some of his first touch passing is also very, very good, but like his touch, he is not quite at the right level, when the ball is at his feet under control; he rarely beats a man and his distribution from that position remains pretty poor generally.

Much improved, but teams at a higher level will only look at him with his attributes if he can become prolific, which he is not.

Dykes is streaky with his goals like many strikers. Look at his record with Scotland and the second half of last season with us. It also usually takes him a few games to get going again after an injury or a break.

I’m a bit surprised at some of the negativity on here (maybe I should know better!) but I would agree that he’s far from the finished article. That said, we have seen consistent improvement from him since signing for us and I think he’ll continue to improve which is maybe the calculated gamble that bigger clubs are willing to take on him.
Lyndon Dykes on 07:38 - Jan 11 with 2717 viewsdmm

PL clubs can afford to rack and stack, and Dykes could be seen bench fodder for a last throw of the dice substitution. That said, I think rumours of a PL move are made up clickbait.
Lyndon Dykes on 08:46 - Jan 11 with 2533 viewsR_from_afar

Lyndon Dykes on 21:03 - Jan 10 by gazza1

It has to be done in a rational way.......obviously cant throw them all out in January but perhaps a couple of new ones might be nice!!!!

Proven Championship standard strikers are costly at the best of times but the January window is the worst possible time to be shopping for one. Prices are at their highest.

I also don't think our promotion push would stand the disruption of losing our main striker. Even if we replaced him with someone better, something which would be akin to alchemy, it would probably take a few games for the new man and his team mates to get used to each other's style of play, and that could cost us a handful of crucial points, seriously undermining our promotion campaign.

Dykes is not just about goals, he is a focal point, he plays in others and he puts pressure on defenders.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Lyndon Dykes on 08:51 - Jan 11 with 2511 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 07:08 - Jan 11 by traininvain

Dykes is streaky with his goals like many strikers. Look at his record with Scotland and the second half of last season with us. It also usually takes him a few games to get going again after an injury or a break.

I’m a bit surprised at some of the negativity on here (maybe I should know better!) but I would agree that he’s far from the finished article. That said, we have seen consistent improvement from him since signing for us and I think he’ll continue to improve which is maybe the calculated gamble that bigger clubs are willing to take on him.

Is it only us where a player scores a great goal to more or less get us into the next round of the cup, earn us 100k+ and merits his hold-up play and touch is barely League 1?

I am sure if his touch + hold up play was barely League1 he wouldn't have been Steve Clarke's (an excellent coach (as are Warburton, Eustace + Ramsey) go to man for these very attributes.

On a weekend when the obvious talking point would be our highly paid star striker's conditioning, petulance and lifestyle (post match pints this time) we have a thread criticising our best striker who plays on through injury for the team on the basis we're upset we might have doubled, trebled or quadrupled our initial investment.
Lyndon Dykes on 09:00 - Jan 11 with 2475 viewstraininvain

Also worth pointing out that Dykes starts ahead of Premiership striker Che Adams for Scotland.
Lyndon Dykes on 09:15 - Jan 11 with 2418 viewsTheChef

Lyndon Dykes on 20:26 - Jan 10 by Dorse

Premier League tattoos though. Soon we'll only be able to see his eyes.

Nah, he'll get his eyes tattooed as well.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Lyndon Dykes on 09:25 - Jan 11 with 2379 viewsDieByYourSide

1 in 3 striker at Championship & International level, under contract, with us going for promotion plus January tax = £10m minimum imo. Doesn't sound like anyone's seriously interested though.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2022 9:25]

Poll: And it's hi ho

Login to get fewer ads

Lyndon Dykes on 09:26 - Jan 11 with 2371 viewssprocket

Lyndon Dykes on 09:15 - Jan 11 by TheChef

Nah, he'll get his eyes tattooed as well.

The tattoo he has on his neck is horrendous looking. Too much money and spare time...
Lyndon Dykes on 09:30 - Jan 11 with 2340 viewsTheChef

Lyndon Dykes on 00:56 - Jan 11 by CLAREMAN1995

I know its old age on my part but I hate that fcuking neck tattoo and cannot see how anybody would put it on their neck.Man City keeper has them too and it just throws me off

Indeed. It's just the kind of look that says you're about to go into prison, or you've just come out.

Why can't they all look like dashing Wales soccer superstar Trevor Ford?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Lyndon Dykes on 09:32 - Jan 11 with 2333 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 09:26 - Jan 11 by sprocket

The tattoo he has on his neck is horrendous looking. Too much money and spare time...

I rather he spent his money colouring his neck than powdering his nose!
Lyndon Dykes on 09:46 - Jan 11 with 2275 viewsgazza1

Lyndon Dykes on 09:32 - Jan 11 by ParkRoyalR

I rather he spent his money colouring his neck than powdering his nose!

very true.....
Lyndon Dykes on 10:04 - Jan 11 with 2182 viewsdmm

Lyndon Dykes on 09:30 - Jan 11 by TheChef

Indeed. It's just the kind of look that says you're about to go into prison, or you've just come out.

Why can't they all look like dashing Wales soccer superstar Trevor Ford?

Better would be Brian Bedford, surely?

Lyndon Dykes on 10:14 - Jan 11 with 2147 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Always worth checking with Jack Supple. This shows how far Dykes has come.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Lyndon Dykes on 10:27 - Jan 11 with 2088 viewssdm1508

One thing I have noticed with Dykes is his positional sense does seem to be getting better. When he first joined he didn't know where he should be. Also he has made some lovely runs to allow through balls to come to him. He is actually bending his runs to stay onside and get into the box. In many cases it has been his finishing that has let him down. I feel that he is now getting into better positions and wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that is down to the coaching team and Austin teaching him. I believe though we have the best manager to help Dykes to continue to develop and become and all more complete striker.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:45 - Jan 11 with 1997 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Lyndon Dykes on 10:14 - Jan 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Always worth checking with Jack Supple. This shows how far Dykes has come.

That’s quite an old tweet tbf Brian. His recent stats won’t be nearly that good.

However what we need to remember is that he played a hell of a lot of games last season and the start of this. In addition he played for Scotland in the Euros so didn’t get much of a break in the summer. It was inevitable that he was going to have a dip in form and fitness at some point. Thankfully it hasn’t effected our results to badly and him and us will hopefully have a strong finish to the season. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇦🇺🦘

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Lyndon Dykes on 10:46 - Jan 11 with 1987 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lyndon Dykes on 10:45 - Jan 11 by CliveWilsonSaid

That’s quite an old tweet tbf Brian. His recent stats won’t be nearly that good.

However what we need to remember is that he played a hell of a lot of games last season and the start of this. In addition he played for Scotland in the Euros so didn’t get much of a break in the summer. It was inevitable that he was going to have a dip in form and fitness at some point. Thankfully it hasn’t effected our results to badly and him and us will hopefully have a strong finish to the season. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇦🇺🦘

Agreed, but it shows what he's capable of.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Lyndon Dykes on 10:58 - Jan 11 with 1939 viewsfrancisbowles

Lyndon Dykes on 19:41 - Jan 10 by gazza1

£6 million.....Xmas again, like a lottery win!!!!

Just cast your mind back to the 2019/20 season. We had three expensive borrowed strikers and couldn't find one that we wanted to buy that we could afford.

Ok, we are possibly in a better financial position now regarding FFP and any fee for Lyndon would be a start but it is the most difficult and expensive position to fill.

Ivan Toney cost Brentford £8 million, I think. We all gasped at the cost. Yes he has proven to be worth it but it goes to show the likely cost of an in form striker.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:04 - Jan 11 with 1897 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 10:27 - Jan 11 by sdm1508

One thing I have noticed with Dykes is his positional sense does seem to be getting better. When he first joined he didn't know where he should be. Also he has made some lovely runs to allow through balls to come to him. He is actually bending his runs to stay onside and get into the box. In many cases it has been his finishing that has let him down. I feel that he is now getting into better positions and wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that is down to the coaching team and Austin teaching him. I believe though we have the best manager to help Dykes to continue to develop and become and all more complete striker.

Agree, his positioning and movement has improved considerably, and that run he made to score against Fulham is now a feature of his game and we've seen this repeated at least 2 or 3 times most games since.

The key as you say is converting this intelligent movement and pace into goals, as we saw with his first chance against Rotherham, great movement to get in front of the defender but a little too tentative with the finish where he focused too much on making clean contact rather than whacking it.

If Austin is the catalyst for this improvement (could be a coincidence but who better to learn from) I would like to see Austin move more into a coaching role with the club next year as turning £1m-£2m strikers into £5m-£10m strikers is where the club needs to be.

Keeping Gray is the gamble at the moment, as I think Bonne's pace and movement would benefit from Dykes's improved aerial knock-downs and Willock's passing, likewise is Armstrong ready to play a role in latter half of season as an impact sub?

Either way, Dykes gives us options, as his aerial game is now as good as Hughill's and movement and shooting across the keeper reminds me of Wells, so we have a striker we own who is the focal point of our attack, has increased in value, who is on a sensible wage and wears the shirt with pride - whats not to like.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:11 - Jan 11 with 1872 viewsShadow

Lyndon Dykes on 11:04 - Jan 11 by ParkRoyalR

Agree, his positioning and movement has improved considerably, and that run he made to score against Fulham is now a feature of his game and we've seen this repeated at least 2 or 3 times most games since.

The key as you say is converting this intelligent movement and pace into goals, as we saw with his first chance against Rotherham, great movement to get in front of the defender but a little too tentative with the finish where he focused too much on making clean contact rather than whacking it.

If Austin is the catalyst for this improvement (could be a coincidence but who better to learn from) I would like to see Austin move more into a coaching role with the club next year as turning £1m-£2m strikers into £5m-£10m strikers is where the club needs to be.

Keeping Gray is the gamble at the moment, as I think Bonne's pace and movement would benefit from Dykes's improved aerial knock-downs and Willock's passing, likewise is Armstrong ready to play a role in latter half of season as an impact sub?

Either way, Dykes gives us options, as his aerial game is now as good as Hughill's and movement and shooting across the keeper reminds me of Wells, so we have a striker we own who is the focal point of our attack, has increased in value, who is on a sensible wage and wears the shirt with pride - whats not to like.

" I would like to see Austin move more into a coaching role with the club next year "

I know many will disagree with this but I want him away from this club sooner rather than later.

He seems mentally out of control at the moment and although some fans found his antics after the goal at Bristol City funny, it is not how our players should be acting when representing the club and I don't want that kind of behaviour spreading to youngsters coming through the ranks.

It wasn't an isolated incident either.

Charlie Austin the man is incredibly unlikable at times and I don't want players acting like that.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:27 - Jan 11 with 1817 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 11:11 - Jan 11 by Shadow

" I would like to see Austin move more into a coaching role with the club next year "

I know many will disagree with this but I want him away from this club sooner rather than later.

He seems mentally out of control at the moment and although some fans found his antics after the goal at Bristol City funny, it is not how our players should be acting when representing the club and I don't want that kind of behaviour spreading to youngsters coming through the ranks.

It wasn't an isolated incident either.

Charlie Austin the man is incredibly unlikable at times and I don't want players acting like that.

I agree regarding his antics goading away fans, almost seems contrived to court popularity to
distract from his way below par performances on the pitch.

I'd certainly rather not be leaving The Den at the forthcoming night-game if Charlie's thought it good sport to wind-up the natives on his way back to the dressing room (although I'd happily take my chances if he's scored the winning goal in injury time)
Lyndon Dykes on 11:33 - Jan 11 with 1797 viewsStainrod

Read elsewhere (haven't checked the numbers) after his very long, blank spell when he first arrived and was getting used to playing at a higher level in a struggling team, he has scored 14 in his last 28 for us (which includes sub appearances) plus 4 in 4 for Scotland. Fully accept he is not the finished article but was improving prior to injury. Lets give him a few games to get fully match fit then judge his performances.
Lyndon Dykes on 13:04 - Jan 11 with 1615 viewskensalriser

Regardless of all of the above our entire strike force has scored five goals in the last ten league games, which could do with some improvement if we want to keep the challenge on track.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Lyndon Dykes on 13:55 - Jan 11 with 1533 viewsLazyFan

All guesswork with no facts but ...

Dykes is worth £10m in this market. Who would pay that? Bournemouth. Why would they buy him? Because they will sell Solanke to Newcastle for £20m.

Why would we sell him? Because we can get £10m for him and possibly if it triggers a Prem club even up to £12m.

Bournemouth's interest is only really based upon Solanke's interest by Newcastle so, it could all be contingency by all clubs.

zzzzzzzzzz

Lyndon Dykes on 14:03 - Jan 11 with 1515 viewsdmm

Lyndon Dykes on 13:55 - Jan 11 by LazyFan

All guesswork with no facts but ...

Dykes is worth £10m in this market. Who would pay that? Bournemouth. Why would they buy him? Because they will sell Solanke to Newcastle for £20m.

Why would we sell him? Because we can get £10m for him and possibly if it triggers a Prem club even up to £12m.

Bournemouth's interest is only really based upon Solanke's interest by Newcastle so, it could all be contingency by all clubs.

That all makes sense bar one thing. If selling Dykes for £10m or £12m dents our promotion chances then it's clearly the wrong thing to do.

Is there an affordable and very good replacement for Dykes who could hit the ground running? I have no idea but whoever it could be, the club would be taking a real risk.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024