Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laird in 21:55 - Aug 13 with 28560 viewsWatfordR

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-signing-sealed-and-key-duo-set-to-return
Laird in on 09:01 - Aug 14 with 4792 viewsWestbourneR

This is good news but am I the only one who feels we badly NEED a left back? Paal could be great but he’s untested and after him it’s Niko. And Niko is clearly not capable of playing at this level.

There must be free transfer out there on minimal wages who’d be a much much steadier reserve than Niko? Surely.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Laird in on 09:07 - Aug 14 with 4767 viewsTonto

Laird in on 08:36 - Aug 14 by ozexile

I think Kakay will end up as a CB.

I was going to say that...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Laird in on 09:16 - Aug 14 with 4713 viewsqpr1976

Laird in on 22:57 - Aug 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

They say full backs are either frustrated Centre Backs or frustrated Wingers and Kakay is the former.

And they say Goalkeepers are just frustrated Centre Forwards !

Oh wait……
Laird in on 09:41 - Aug 14 with 4592 viewsnix

Laird in on 08:11 - Aug 14 by dmm

Both Roberts and Richards loans are with a view to make their contracts permanent at the end of the season. Laird may well be the same but, even if it isn't, only having one senior RB is not sustainable and we don't appear to have the money to purchase the quality needed.

Most clubs need to supplement their squads with a few loan players though. If we can't get the right quality for our budget, it makes sense to get a loan in.
Laird in on 10:19 - Aug 14 with 4412 viewsdmm

Warburton used Kakay on the right of a back three as a last option in 10 games. I don't think he's ever played for us as a CB in a back 4, but he has played for us at RB or RWB 50 times, and LB or LWB 4 times to date.

He'll be 25 in a few days time so isn't really a young developing player. He's not going to become a CB. He's a RB.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 10:30]
Laird in on 10:41 - Aug 14 with 4323 viewsPunteR

Laird in on 10:19 - Aug 14 by dmm

Warburton used Kakay on the right of a back three as a last option in 10 games. I don't think he's ever played for us as a CB in a back 4, but he has played for us at RB or RWB 50 times, and LB or LWB 4 times to date.

He'll be 25 in a few days time so isn't really a young developing player. He's not going to become a CB. He's a RB.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 10:30]

I think he does OK at RB. He's no Danny Simpsin or Kyle Walker but keep him in that position I can see him doing well in the next couple of years.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Laird in on 10:49 - Aug 14 with 4270 viewsLazyFan

Laird in on 08:36 - Aug 14 by ozexile

I think Kakay will end up as a CB.

After seeing him in a Warbs back 3, I can see why he's not a CB.

While he's quite fast, he's not lightning fast. While he can challenge in the air, he's not in the same league as Dickie and Dunne, meaning he will get beat in the air all the time against oppo players like Stewart.

He's somewhere in between both of those types of typical CB's and as a result, I am not sure he's Champ level at CB.

Unfortunate as I love his professional attitude to the game. After the Todd Kane nonsense, then Warbs not fancying him when we had 4 fullbacks out and then playing him at LB which is not his position, we can see that Kakay is not as bad as say Niko and does a decent job for a Squad player.

He's done it the hard way, coming up the ranks, being messed about, being abused, being ignored and then fighting his way back in. Now when we know he's going to be replaced yet again and by a younger, potentially better player who is only on loan, he does not go crying on the interwebs and gets on with it.

My prediction is he will either improve somehow or move on soon to L1, but he will have a long career like Max Ehmer and Marcus Bean did. Decent pros who got on with it.

zzzzzzzzzz

Laird in on 10:56 - Aug 14 with 4232 viewsozexile

Laird in on 10:49 - Aug 14 by LazyFan

After seeing him in a Warbs back 3, I can see why he's not a CB.

While he's quite fast, he's not lightning fast. While he can challenge in the air, he's not in the same league as Dickie and Dunne, meaning he will get beat in the air all the time against oppo players like Stewart.

He's somewhere in between both of those types of typical CB's and as a result, I am not sure he's Champ level at CB.

Unfortunate as I love his professional attitude to the game. After the Todd Kane nonsense, then Warbs not fancying him when we had 4 fullbacks out and then playing him at LB which is not his position, we can see that Kakay is not as bad as say Niko and does a decent job for a Squad player.

He's done it the hard way, coming up the ranks, being messed about, being abused, being ignored and then fighting his way back in. Now when we know he's going to be replaced yet again and by a younger, potentially better player who is only on loan, he does not go crying on the interwebs and gets on with it.

My prediction is he will either improve somehow or move on soon to L1, but he will have a long career like Max Ehmer and Marcus Bean did. Decent pros who got on with it.

I think he could do a man marking role like Maddox use to do. Although admittedly he lacks Danny's pace.
Login to get fewer ads

Laird in on 11:10 - Aug 14 with 4113 viewsstevec

Laird in on 22:29 - Aug 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

Some CV he has too!

Good stuff.

Feel sorry for Kakay though, as I don’t think he’s put a foot wrong.

Thought he had time to get tighter on the second goal and from what I’ve briefly seen at the end we should have conceded a third when he was on the back foot once again. Gives his best but cannot seem to smell trouble.
Laird in on 12:51 - Aug 14 with 3879 viewsA40Bosh

Laird in on 08:03 - Aug 14 by DejR_vu

So we have a RB, that we own, who needs developing, who seems to have been doing fine. And we bring someone else’s player in on loan who’s very unlikely to be sitting on the bench.

What happened to the line about not playing our young players being a problem? Are we developing our own players or not? LB, I understand, NH is okay as cover, nothing more. OK has potential to be very decent.

Some people at the club seem to be making it up as they go along.

Beale said that Ossie needs competition at RB and therefore the expectation is that seeing someone like Baird arrive and this supposed quality he brings will spur on Ossie to perform at a higher level to either retain or regain the RB birth during the season.

Beale also said Drewe is not ready to throw in to the first team yet.

I guess the club’s aim is to get to the close of the current window with a squad at that stage which is deemed to be a ‘minimum viable product’ to compete in the upper half of the Championship

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Laird in on 15:24 - Aug 14 with 3620 viewsAntti_Heinola

Never sign back up players. Improve on what you have or don’t bother.
Love Ossie, is very unfairly maligned on here, but he’s a squad player.

Bare bones.

Laird in on 15:48 - Aug 14 with 3520 viewsGroveR

Laird in on 12:51 - Aug 14 by A40Bosh

Beale said that Ossie needs competition at RB and therefore the expectation is that seeing someone like Baird arrive and this supposed quality he brings will spur on Ossie to perform at a higher level to either retain or regain the RB birth during the season.

Beale also said Drewe is not ready to throw in to the first team yet.

I guess the club’s aim is to get to the close of the current window with a squad at that stage which is deemed to be a ‘minimum viable product’ to compete in the upper half of the Championship

I don't want to pìss on anyone's chips here but I'm concerned that Laird's loan to Watford fell through because they signed a right back of their own and couldn't guarantee him games.

I genuinely hope this kid is as good for us as he seemed to be for Swansea but if he goes through a run of bad form and still plays because that's how the loan is structured, we'll have shades of Jeff Hendrick with pìssed-off supporters and pìssed-off players, Ossie Kakay probably most so.

Laird in on 22:46 - Aug 14 with 3080 viewsMyke

I was going to start a seperate thread on Kakay, but I see this has pretty much morphed into one. It's an interesting one, because the stick used to beat Warburton out the door with with (apart from our play-off capitulation) was his 'reluctance' to play any academy kids as he deemed them not good enough.
We have had several debates on here lamenting the failure of our academy to produce first team players and pointing out that we are better at picking up 'older' kids like Eze and developing them for re-sale.
So now Beale was forced to play a bona fide academy product due to no viable alternative, and overall Kakay has done ok. You can argue that he has been at fault for either goals of close calls in every game so far, but you can level the same argument against our more established (ie more popular) defenders like Dickie and Dunne and our newbies Paal and Salter.
To be fair to Beale he flagged up the need for another right back and rather bizarrely pursued McNamara, who we clearly couldn't afford and somewhat more reluctantly Sterling (not always an advantage that the boss worked with you when you were a kid - just ask Masterson) Then suddenly and unexpectedly Laird becomes available and we dive in to sign him on LOAN, with no possibility of a permanent signing.
Which begs the question - is Beale here to develop our kids or get us promoted?
Laird in on 22:57 - Aug 14 with 3039 viewsNorthernr

Laird in on 22:46 - Aug 14 by Myke

I was going to start a seperate thread on Kakay, but I see this has pretty much morphed into one. It's an interesting one, because the stick used to beat Warburton out the door with with (apart from our play-off capitulation) was his 'reluctance' to play any academy kids as he deemed them not good enough.
We have had several debates on here lamenting the failure of our academy to produce first team players and pointing out that we are better at picking up 'older' kids like Eze and developing them for re-sale.
So now Beale was forced to play a bona fide academy product due to no viable alternative, and overall Kakay has done ok. You can argue that he has been at fault for either goals of close calls in every game so far, but you can level the same argument against our more established (ie more popular) defenders like Dickie and Dunne and our newbies Paal and Salter.
To be fair to Beale he flagged up the need for another right back and rather bizarrely pursued McNamara, who we clearly couldn't afford and somewhat more reluctantly Sterling (not always an advantage that the boss worked with you when you were a kid - just ask Masterson) Then suddenly and unexpectedly Laird becomes available and we dive in to sign him on LOAN, with no possibility of a permanent signing.
Which begs the question - is Beale here to develop our kids or get us promoted?

I have told you all summer we'd end up with a loan at right back
Laird in on 23:14 - Aug 14 with 2940 viewsVancouverHoop

Kakay will get games irrespective of Laird's arrival. We need two players for every position, he's not injury prone, he's not an embarrassment, and I'd claim he's improved game over game. Let's face it, the chances of Laird being here this time next year are remote. (see below) You still need a few "club-men," who'll do the job when asked, but maybe aren't going to be stars., Ossie's in that category I think.

BTW: Man Utd fans don't seem happy with Laird coming our way:

A scan of social media sees many labelling the move as senseless, especially in light of Laird's mostly positive outings during pre-season for Erik ten Hag.

"Did we really have to send Ethan Laird on loan? Seems like he deserved a chance especially after yesterday's Dalot performance," wrote one. "Ethan Laird looks like a better player than Dalot who can't even put a decent cross in over a period of 90 minutes," added another.
Laird in on 23:23 - Aug 14 with 2900 viewsDannyPaddox

Is there any chance with Manchester United now more of a failing flailing crisis-club than even they realised that Laird won’t now happen?
Laird in on 23:30 - Aug 14 with 2878 viewsTrom

With the number of subs this season it's easy to see a way that players on the fringes can get minutes this season.
Laird in on 00:23 - Aug 15 with 2776 viewsBlackCrowe

As i've said before, i so want Kakay to do well, he's made of the right stuff, but not quite there yet. Squad at best.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Laird in on 09:57 - Aug 15 with 2468 viewsdmm

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/features/a-closer-look-ethan-laird-150822/

Landed
Laird in on 10:07 - Aug 15 with 2425 viewsEastR

Laird in on 22:57 - Aug 14 by Northernr

I have told you all summer we'd end up with a loan at right back

When you know, you know

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Laird in on 10:10 - Aug 15 with 2407 viewsdmm

Good to have Laird in but, unlike the two TRs, there's no permanent deal at the end of it. So Beale will have had to compromise for this one, which is fine.

I wonder if he'll start or be on the bench on Tuesday? Bench probably.
Laird in on 10:23 - Aug 15 with 2337 viewsterryb

Welcome Ethan & good luck
Laird in on 10:29 - Aug 15 with 2270 viewsPunteR

Do we ever get decent players from Utd?
Hope it works out and Kakay raises his game.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Laird in on 10:31 - Aug 15 with 2242 viewsBrianMcCarthy

This one reads like it's a recruitment team signing.
Also no injury worries.

Best of luck to him.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Laird in on 10:31 - Aug 15 with 2230 viewsMalintabuk

Laird in on 10:29 - Aug 15 by PunteR

Do we ever get decent players from Utd?
Hope it works out and Kakay raises his game.

As I got to the end of the thread was going to.post the same..... our record with united is not the best...
But good luck to the lad and welcome
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024