Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea music scene 13:46 - Mar 12 with 8267 viewsdickythorpe

The lemon factory and static, one is in St Helens road and the other in the kingsway.

Anyone been?
Swansea music scene on 20:31 - Mar 12 with 5368 viewsMrSwansea

No but interest to find out! Music scene is pants though. Need to attract the middle size bands here that hadn't play the liberty.

Arseholes. The lot of you.
Poll: Who has received a pay rise in line with inflation within the last three years?

Swansea music scene on 20:52 - Mar 12 with 5355 viewsmacthejack

Swansea doesn't have a music scene. It doesn't really have any suitable music venues for anything other than pub bands and audiences in Wales in my experience are the least receptive I've ever seen.
Swansea music scene on 21:02 - Mar 12 with 5342 viewsJack_Meoff

Swansea music scene on 20:52 - Mar 12 by macthejack

Swansea doesn't have a music scene. It doesn't really have any suitable music venues for anything other than pub bands and audiences in Wales in my experience are the least receptive I've ever seen.

Sad to read. Had a great time gigging in the '90s, my old band/s used to gig 2-3 times a week at different venues. Pubs mainly admittedly, but people generally gave us a listen and were right up for some live music. Celtic Pride, Cardiff Arms, Dora's, The Zone, Smoking Dog, pub underneath Barons, club underneath the Grand Hotel, Fisherman and Firkin, Camelot Suite, Ellingtons, The Coach House, Mumbles Boat & Fishing Club. All places not around anymore (or at least changed names/hands) that were regular haunts. I've probably forgotten a few too.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2016 21:02]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Swansea music scene on 21:05 - Mar 12 with 5336 viewsMrSwansea

Kasabian at Cardiff was good.

Arseholes. The lot of you.
Poll: Who has received a pay rise in line with inflation within the last three years?

Swansea music scene on 21:14 - Mar 12 with 5321 viewsmacthejack

Swansea music scene on 21:02 - Mar 12 by Jack_Meoff

Sad to read. Had a great time gigging in the '90s, my old band/s used to gig 2-3 times a week at different venues. Pubs mainly admittedly, but people generally gave us a listen and were right up for some live music. Celtic Pride, Cardiff Arms, Dora's, The Zone, Smoking Dog, pub underneath Barons, club underneath the Grand Hotel, Fisherman and Firkin, Camelot Suite, Ellingtons, The Coach House, Mumbles Boat & Fishing Club. All places not around anymore (or at least changed names/hands) that were regular haunts. I've probably forgotten a few too.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2016 21:02]

Only place where any decent up and coming bands play these days is Sin City and even then it's mostly dross. The place also really isn't a great live music venue, great big pillars spoiling the view and the acoustics aren't great.
Swansea music scene on 22:38 - Mar 12 with 5264 viewsEbo

I've heard that the great hall on the new Uni campus is going to host gigs.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Swansea music scene on 13:48 - Mar 13 with 5173 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea music scene on 22:38 - Mar 12 by Ebo

I've heard that the great hall on the new Uni campus is going to host gigs.

I don't think it is that big. Maybe with the City Centre development we may get a decent venue but I am not holding my breath.
We still have the Patti but that is now used mostly for weddings. I remember seeing The Stranglers there just before the last refurb. Great gig. Also seen Dr Feelgood, The Hamsters, The Proclaimers and Roger Chapman there.
The Palace, The Albert Hall and the Elysium are holding on by the skin of their teeth. All these would be suitable venues IMHO but it seems there is no will within the Council or WAG to do anything about their on going decay. All three buildings are a complete embarrassment at the mo.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2016 13:52]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea music scene on 15:47 - Mar 13 with 5119 viewsEbo

Swansea music scene on 13:48 - Mar 13 by Private_Partz

I don't think it is that big. Maybe with the City Centre development we may get a decent venue but I am not holding my breath.
We still have the Patti but that is now used mostly for weddings. I remember seeing The Stranglers there just before the last refurb. Great gig. Also seen Dr Feelgood, The Hamsters, The Proclaimers and Roger Chapman there.
The Palace, The Albert Hall and the Elysium are holding on by the skin of their teeth. All these would be suitable venues IMHO but it seems there is no will within the Council or WAG to do anything about their on going decay. All three buildings are a complete embarrassment at the mo.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2016 13:52]

I heard it's around 1500-2000 capacity but I may be wrong.

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea music scene on 15:52 - Mar 13 with 5117 viewsLohengrin

Swansea music scene on 15:47 - Mar 13 by Ebo

I heard it's around 1500-2000 capacity but I may be wrong.

That's pretty much what I've been told. My eldest daughter gets around to lots of gigs and her ear is pretty close to the ground on these things.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Swansea music scene on 16:19 - Mar 13 with 5092 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea music scene on 15:52 - Mar 13 by Lohengrin

That's pretty much what I've been told. My eldest daughter gets around to lots of gigs and her ear is pretty close to the ground on these things.

Excellent. I sit corrected. I thought it was about 500 to 600. Maybe that is just the seated capacity. When will we get our first gigs I wonder?

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea music scene on 16:28 - Mar 13 with 5082 viewsLohengrin

Swansea music scene on 16:19 - Mar 13 by Private_Partz

Excellent. I sit corrected. I thought it was about 500 to 600. Maybe that is just the seated capacity. When will we get our first gigs I wonder?

You may well be right about the different capacities as regards seating and standing, makes sense too.

None too sure about an opening date but looking at the rate the site as a whole is progressing it's not far away. I'm led to believe there is some sort of a tie-in with the Solus venue at Cardiff University in the offing so going forward it may well be the case that quite a few of the bands will be booked to play alternate nights at the two. I'll not be holding my breath at the prospect of what acts they may be but it will keep the kids happy, I suppose?

Swansea music scene on 16:33 - Mar 13 with 5074 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea music scene on 16:28 - Mar 13 by Lohengrin

You may well be right about the different capacities as regards seating and standing, makes sense too.

None too sure about an opening date but looking at the rate the site as a whole is progressing it's not far away. I'm led to believe there is some sort of a tie-in with the Solus venue at Cardiff University in the offing so going forward it may well be the case that quite a few of the bands will be booked to play alternate nights at the two. I'll not be holding my breath at the prospect of what acts they may be but it will keep the kids happy, I suppose?

I am off to Solus to see the Stranglers on Friday. The oldest swinger in town apart from JJ who is the same age ;-)
If we can pull in the Solus gigs then we may get a few gems. I can can cycle to a gig! That will be a new experience. :-)

Swansea music scene on 16:47 - Mar 13 with 5063 viewsmacthejack

Swansea music scene on 16:28 - Mar 13 by Lohengrin

Aha, now this is interesting. I doubt many on here would be too interested in the bands that play at solus, it's mostly stuff that these young whippersnappers listen to on their fruit phones see, but they tend to have a decent chunk of the more exciting bands touring the UK.
Swansea music scene on 16:52 - Mar 13 with 5059 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea music scene on 20:31 - Mar 12 by MrSwansea

No but interest to find out! Music scene is pants though. Need to attract the middle size bands here that hadn't play the liberty.

The old Albert Hall which is now deelict after being a Bingo hall would be ideal for medium sized bands. Oh, if only fo a lottery win. I'd have tht place done ut as an O2 academy style venue.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Swansea music scene on 09:28 - Mar 14 with 4972 viewsDarran

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-University-s-32-million-Great-Ha

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea music scene on 09:33 - Mar 14 with 4971 viewsLohengrin

Swansea music scene on 09:28 - Mar 14 by Darran

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-University-s-32-million-Great-Ha

It's a magnificent looking building. So kind of Albert Speer to take on this one last job from beyond the grave.

Swansea music scene on 17:58 - Mar 14 with 4909 viewsLord_Bony

Swansea music scene on 16:33 - Mar 13 by Private_Partz

I am off to Solus to see the Stranglers on Friday. The oldest swinger in town apart from JJ who is the same age ;-)
If we can pull in the Solus gigs then we may get a few gems. I can can cycle to a gig! That will be a new experience. :-)

That Solus venue is really good for live bands and I'll also be there Friday for the Stranglers.

I'm only a ten minute drive away as I live in Karediff these days but it is a cracking venue and if they can tie this in with the Great Hall at Swansea uni it would be good for the punters and the students of the uni as it is very profitable for the Students Union who run the place and have their own night club there as well.

The council and uni at Swansea can easily get this thing going its a piece of cake and the acts would play Cardiff one night Swansea the next or vice versa.

Bring it on and soon. Would be great for the city music scene.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Swansea music scene on 21:41 - Mar 14 with 4828 viewsEbo

Quote from a friend of a friend who works there and has spoken at it's opening:

"800 capacity is a specific market - watch this space. Some special gigs in the pipeline. The organ was £££££ expensive. I'm being realistic, the only thing it resembles is the Millennium Centre and how many gigs does that stage? There will be more here."

Swansea music scene on 22:00 - Mar 14 with 4799 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea music scene on 21:41 - Mar 14 by Ebo

"800 capacity is a specific market - watch this space. Some special gigs in the pipeline. The organ was £££££ expensive. I'm being realistic, the only thing it resembles is the Millennium Centre and how many gigs does that stage? There will be more here."

Great, sounds very interesting indeed. Keep us informed Ebsy!

Swansea music scene on 22:03 - Mar 14 with 4796 viewsEbo

Will do, he told me a while ago that at first they were just going to use it for lectures and classical events but when they looked into how lucrative it could be as a live venue then they changed their mind very quickly. Things have been booked so keep yer peepers peeled.

Swansea music scene on 22:09 - Mar 14 with 4786 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea music scene on 22:03 - Mar 14 by Ebo

Will do, he told me a while ago that at first they were just going to use it for lectures and classical events but when they looked into how lucrative it could be as a live venue then they changed their mind very quickly. Things have been booked so keep yer peepers peeled.

Will do. Swansea has been crying out for a purpose built live venue for a very long time. excellent news

Swansea music scene on 22:11 - Mar 14 with 4784 viewsEbo

Could be pretty vibrant if this new arena happens as well.

Swansea music scene on 22:17 - Mar 14 with 4769 viewsDarran

Swansea music scene on 21:41 - Mar 14 by Ebo

800 is a big shít.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea music scene on 22:24 - Mar 14 with 4760 viewsEbo

Can be up to 1000 without seating. Won't get Cheap Trick there butt, possibly up and coming and some older favourites.

Swansea music scene on 22:24 - Mar 14 with 4760 viewshobo

Swansea music scene on 21:05 - Mar 12 by MrSwansea

Kasabian at Cardiff was good.

I'm willing to bet the Kasabian gig in Swansea was far better
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024